• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With the blessing of House Bonaparte in hand, Domadeaux creates a political club called the Coalition Napoléonienne and issues invitations to those who have either expressed interest or seem like they may be interested in a Bonapartist political club.

Members are expected to have read Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte's "Napoleonic Ideas" and Napoleon I's memoirs, display appropriate respect for the late emperor, and be prepared for vigorous debate and intellectual exchange.

220px-Jacques_Louis_David_-_Bonaparte_franchissant_le_Grand_Saint-Bernard%2C_20_mai_1800_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Remember his legacy!

President of the Provisional Ministry

rogK16O.jpg

...unexpected though it may be, democracy is henceforth an unavoidable reality. You may be quite sure of the marriage between the republican consciousness and the democratic experiment, but that would deny truth. Let us not deceive ourselves. We gain nothing by forgetting the fundamental principle which involves the foundations of political society. If the elevation of the people to the ballot fulfills the democratic demand then it must be the republican condition to insist upon the freedom of representation. Yet the Provisional Government failed to offer that complete constitution without the inhibitions and regulations that biased the national will and confined the expressive representation of the Assembly. I have taken the solvent, gentlemen, before the Assembly; let the people rise to the franchise, yes! But also afford them the liberty of decision, and that most important liberty, the right of representation.

Law of the Abrogation of the Exclusion

Article I. Article III of the Election Decree of the Provisional Government is abrogated.
Article II. Article IV of the Election Decree of the Provisional Government is amended, allowing military officers to sit in the Assembly.

A letter is penned to Minister of Finance Hippolyte Passy ((@99KingHigh))

Honorable Sir

I must first congratulate you on your ascension to the Ministry of Finance in this new government. I always knew that, based on seeing you tackle your tasks in the Ministry of Finance during the monarchy, you would one day take over my position. Yet, now that you have ascended to the Ministry, I must ask something of you that is of the up-most importance. That being around the decree that forced many banks, including my own, to be put under the purview of the Bank of France. As you know, this state of affairs, though temporary as claimed, walks a thin line between government oversight and straight up nationalization, and many in the financial sector are frightened that the government was one step away from permanently taking over management duties.

For so long, the financial sector of France has been the backbone of France's economic stability. When the previous government's policies destroyed that stability, the financial sector suffered, and so did the whole of the French economy. By repealing the decree (which its proprietor has stated many times was only temporary), the men of finance will be able to reorganize their institutions, and begin financing the needed credit this new government will need to ensure financial solvency. At the same time, repealing the decree will also earn the financial sector's respect for the new government, and will allow these respected men of finance to negotiate debt in foreign lands to aid in solving France's financial problems.

I hope that you do heed my request. The aforementioned decree's repeal will greatly aid in restoring the French economy to what it once originally was.

-Alexander Descombes

Messieurs,

Until a durable settlement is established with Rome, and the instruments of faith strongly established in the public trust, I motion the following measure to amend the Concordant of 1801 for current application.

Preamble: Acknowledging that the Concordant of 1801 operates under the laws of the Republic, and are thus invulnerable from abrogation, the Assembly endorses the following procedure to represent the executive opinion of the election of ecclesiastical officers.
Article I. The article of the Concordat that conferred on the First Consul the right to fill vacant sees, no longer consistent with the demands of the republican state, is replaced in the executive capacity.
Article II. The election of bishops shall enter into the hands of an electoral body, called the Committee of Worship, composed solely of ecclesiastics.
Article III. The Committee should be elected from the clergy and report to the Minister of Public Education and Religion.

((I was told by 99 that the France reverted away from the Concordant of 1818 to the Concordant of 1801 after the June Revolution.))

Messieurs,

Until a durable settlement is established with Rome, and the instruments of faith strongly established in the public trust, I motion the following measure to amend the Concordant of 1801 for current application.

Preamble: Acknowledging that the Concordant of 1801 operates under the laws of the Republic, and are thus invulnerable from abrogation, the Assembly endorses the following procedure to represent the executive opinion of the election of ecclesiastical officers.
Article I. The article of the Concordat that conferred on the First Consul the right to fill vacant sees, no longer consistent with the demands of the republican state, is replaced in the executive capacity.
Article II. The election of bishops shall enter into the hands of an electoral body, called the Committee of Worship, composed solely of ecclesiastics.
Article III. The Committee should be elected from the clergy and report to the Minister of Public Education and Religion.

((I was told by 99 that the France reverted away from the Concordant of 1818 to the Concordant of 1801 after the June Revolution.))

*Deflandre scoffs.*

Messieurs,

Communal land has been tremendously valuable to french agricultural production, as the common man has proven himself an able steward of the land. Likewise, the parcelization of French land has inhibited the development of agriculture in France. This act intends to combine an understanding of these truths and address to address them together, to enrich the common farmer and therefore all of France. I hope despite our political differences, we can come together to support and even improve this proposal.

1. State managed Rural Land bordering Communal Land Cooperatives are declared to be Land Stewardship Candidates.

2. The Communal Land Cooperative Commission, in cooperation local officials, are to work with Commune Land cooperatives to transition candidates to the stewardship of Commune Land Cooperatives.

3. Communal Land Cooperatives will be permitted to work the stewardship land within the guidelines imposed by the Commune Land Cooperative Commission

4. The Communal Land Cooperative Commission is to negotiate a purchase schedule for transferring full ownership of lands under stewardship to the relevant Commune Land cooperatives.

5. In the case more than one Communal Land Cooperative borders a Land Stewardship Candidate, The Commune Land Cooperative is to work with all relevant Commune Land Cooperatives on dividing the land, or agreeing to a merger of relevant cooperatives, with preference for the latter.

6. Private rural land bordering Communal Land Cooperative are become to be Land Exchange Candidates.

7. The Communal Land Cooperative Commission is to negotiate with land owners of Land Exchange Candidates to either join with Commune Land Cooperative or participate in the Land Exchange program.

8. Private land negotiations with the Communal Land Cooperative Commission are strictly voluntary.

9. The Land Exchange Program is run by the Communal Land Cooperative Commission and tasked with negotiating the exchange of state owned land of similar value to Land Exchange Candidate owners, with the goal of Land Exchange Candidates being incorporated into the bordering Communal Land Cooperative(s)

10. The Communal Land Cooperative Commission is to address petitions for the stewardship/purchase of land by Communal Land Cooperatives that does not fall under the category of Land Stewardship Candidates or the Land Exchange program.

~Adrien Dubois

Last edited:
NOTE: If you're trying to contact me during Mon-Fri working hours, try and PM over the forums, as that'll send me an email. I've just started work so I can't be on discord all the time.

Messieurs,

The National Workshops have proven to be an able feature of the government over the last few months. Not only has it provided a right to work for all frenchmen, it has functioned as a source of labour where necessary both for public works and in farming. This is a program that deserves to be officialized by this Assembly. Nonetheless, it has faults in the deployment of workshop labour and this law seeks to address those, namely by expanding it's contracting functions, while protecting those who are employed to firms seeking this source of labour.

I. Olfficializing Institutions
a. Officializes National Workshop Office in Paris
b. Officializes Department Workshop Offices in all Departments
c. Minimum pay for employees of National or Department Workshop Programs is twice subsistence food or equivalent monetary value depending on circumstance.
d. Workshop Plans are plans for the creation and maintance of public works, such as railways, post offices, bridges, roads and other works with tangible public benefit.
e. Power to appoint management of both the National Workshop office and the Department Workshop Offices ultimately stems from the Ministry of Public Welfare​
II. Responsibilities and Powers of the National Workshop Office.
a. Creates National Workshop Plans
b. Ranks National Workshop Plans and Department Workshop Plans in order of priority:
1. What project maximizes the number of citizens gainfully employed?
2. What project maximizes the likely benefit over costs of completion/maintenance?
Note: Ranking should calculate benefits by not only looking to potential income from fees, but tax revenue from improvements in economic activity.​
c. Overrides redundant Department Workshop Plans with National Workshop Plans or Department Workshop Plans that serve the same purpose better (replacing a plan for one railway line with a more effective one)
d. Provides grants to Department Workshop Offices for Department Workshop Plans, proportional to their needs and in order of ranking.
e. Pays for and operates National Workshop Plans and Department Workshop Plan grants within the budget allocated to it by the Ministry of Public Welfare.
f. Publishes yearly report on National Workshop Plans and Department Workshop Plans, with security sensitive details excluded.
g. Promote able workshop employees into management where possible.​
III. Responsibilities and Powers of the Department Workshop Offices
a. Creates Department Workshop Plans
b. Ranks its own Department Workshop Plans in order of priority:
1. What project maximizes the number of citizens gainfully employed?
2. What project maximizes the likely benefit over costs of completion/maintenance?​
c. Must pay for and operate Department Workshop Plans within the budget that is provided it by commune councils in it's jurisdiction, plus grants from the National Workshop Office
d. Reports the number of citizens that attempt to register for a job and the number they were able to employ to the head office and local Departments
e. Informs citizens of job opportunities in other communes if permission granted by said Department or the National Workshop Office.
f. Can work directly with other Department Workshop Offices to create and implement plans
g. Aids in managing National Workshop Plans as directed by the National Workshop Office.
h. Must send Department Workshop Plans to the National Workshop Office for review.
j. Promote able workshop employees into management where possible.​
IV. External Workshop Contracting Policies
a. National and Departmental Workshop labour may be requisitioned for military supply logistics purposes.
b. National and Departmental Workshop labour may be contracted to private businesses through a transparent bidding process.
c. Any labour which would be replaced by National and Departmental Workshop labour are to be fast tracked into employment in the relevant National and Departmental Workshop above other candidates.​
-Adrien Dubois

((doing this from mobile at the behest of the sun king bear with me))

Law on the Committee of Investigating and Overseeing the National Workshop Program

I.There will be a committee to investigate the purposes and functions of the national workshops.
II. Said committee will be run by Ministry if Public Works, and comprised of certified officials deemed capable and competent to investigate and oversee the National Workshop program.

((@Andre Massena))

Monsieur Domedeaux,

I am interested in your opinion and the opinion of the Coalition Napoléonienne, of my proposals two assembly proposals, the "Law on Rural Land Stewardship and Exchange" and the "Law on National Workshops".

While I may not agree with all of your ideas, there are places where I suspect our opinions overlap and I am willing to work with you in such cases.

As I have argued in the assembly, I believe that rural France would appreciate that the Law on Rural Land Stewardship and Exchange would entrust them with working the land that they know, while additionally working to clean up the patch work of detached land ownership that has stunted rural productivity.

I also believe that the National workshops, though flawed, provide a useful tool by which the state might direct the economy towards an end. Adding requisition of labour for military supply logistics should compliment the abilities of the French Army by utilizing labour that might otherwise simply be wasted digging holes and filling them in. Adding in an ability to contract services to firms also serves as an additional outlet for otherwise unused labour and an additional means to steer the economy.

Given these benefits, I write hoping those aligned with the Coalition Napoléonienne in the assembly might vote for these proposals. Regardless, I am curious and willing to hear your opinions.

- Adrien Dubois

Domadeaux just walked out of another grueling meeting of the Constitutional Committee at two past midnight. He was proud to have been nominated to such an important position after having such little experience in politics, but days and nights of endless arguments and legal tedium made him wonder if this appointment was a poisoned chalice.

"Dear God, I need a drink..."

((@Andre Massena))

Monsieur Domedeaux,

I am interested in your opinion and the opinion of the Coalition Napoléonienne, of my proposals two assembly proposals, the "Law on Rural Land Stewardship and Exchange" and the "Law on National Workshops".

While I may not agree with all of your ideas, there are places where I suspect our opinions overlap and I am willing to work with you in such cases.

As I have argued in the assembly, I believe that rural France would appreciate that the Law on Rural Land Stewardship and Exchange would entrust them with working the land that they know, while additionally working to clean up the patch work of detached land ownership that has stunted rural productivity.

I also believe that the National workshops, though flawed, provide a useful tool by which the state might direct the economy towards an end. Adding requisition of labour for military supply logistics should compliment the abilities of the French Army by utilizing labour that might otherwise simply be wasted digging holes and filling them in. Adding in an ability to contract services to firms also serves as an additional outlet for otherwise unused labour and an additional means to steer the economy.

Given these benefits, I write hoping those aligned with the Coalition Napoléonienne in the assembly might vote for these proposals. Regardless, I am curious and willing to hear your opinions.

- Adrien Dubois

((@Bioiron))

Monsieur Dubois,

Though I have been quite preoccupied with my constitutional duties of late, we have managed to examine and debate your proposals in the Coalition. We believe that your proposals concerning land cooperatives are a bit too radical, though well-intentioned. Your workshop proposal is quite intriguing and is a work of vision and ingenuity that even the emperor would approve of. It is vigorous programs, such as yours, that are needed to shake France out of her doldrums.

We cordially invite you to attend a meeting of the Coalition Napoléonienne if you have the time.

Sincerely,

-Jean Francois Domadeaux

((@Andre Massena))

Monsieur Domedeaux,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my letter between your difficult work on the constitutional committee. I accept your invitation to attend a meeting of the Coalition Napoléonienne for the purpose of discussion. I am eager to discuss the land cooperative law and issues that club has with it, but if those issues can't be over come right now, I am willing to shelve it in favour of securing an endorsement for the Law on National Workshops. Your club's namesake is indeed a symbol of modernization and vigor in France and I hope that passing this national workshop officialization and reform would serve to add to said glory.

Sincerely,

-Adrien Dubois

WUDwO6d.png

CONSTITUTION OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC, 1850

*Proposed to the Constituent Assembly for Debate and Revision*

I. France has constituted herself a Republic. In adopting this form of government, her proposed aim is to advance with greater freedom in the path of civilization and progress, to ensure that the burdens and advantages of society shall be more and more equitably apportioned, to augment the comfort of every individual by the gradual reduction of the public expenses and taxes, and by the successive and constant action of her institutions and laws cause the whole body of citizens to attain, without further commotion, a constantly increasing degree of morality, intelligence and prosperity.

II. The French Republic is democratic, one and indivisible.

III. It recognizes rights and duties anterior and superior to all positive laws.

IV. Its principles are liberty, equality, fraternity. Its basis is family, labour, property, and public order.

V. It respects the nationality of foreign states, as it causes its own to be respected.

VI. Reciprocal duties bind the citizens to the republic and the republic to the citizens.

VII. It is the duty of the citizens to love their country, serve the republic, and defend it at the hazard of their lives, to participate in the expenses of the State, in proportion to their property; to secure to themselves, by their labour, the means of existence, and by prudent forethought provide resources for the future, to cooperate for the common welfare by fraternally aiding each other, and in the preservation of general order by observing the moral and written laws which regulate society, families and individuals.

VIII. It is the duty of the republic to protect the citizen in his person, his family, his religion, his prosperity, and his labour, and to bring within the reach of all that education which is necessary to every man; it is also its duty, by fraternal assistance, to provide the means of existence to necessitous citizens, either by procuring employment for them, within the limits of its resources, or by giving relief to those who are unable to work and who have no relatives to help them.

In light of these fundamental guidances, and the guidance and blessing of God, the Constituent Assembly hereby Proclaims:

Chapter I: Sovereignty
Art. 1. The sovereignty exists in the whole body of French citizens. It is inalienable and imprescriptible. No individual, no fraction of the people can arrogate to themselves its exercise.

Chapter II: The Rights of the Citizenry of France

Art. 2.
No person can be arrested or detained, except as prescribed by law.

Art. 3.
The dwelling of every person living in French territory is inviolable, and cannot be entered except according to the forms and in the cases provided against by law.

Art. 4.
No extraordinary commissions or tribunals may be established for the purpose of exercising civil law, in any capacity or under any name whatsoever.

Art. 5.
The penalty of death for political offences is abolished.

Art. 6.
Slavery cannot exist upon any French territory.

Art. 7.
Every man freely profess his own religion and shall receive from the State equal protection in the exercise of his worship. The ministers of the religions at present recognized by law, as well as those which may be hereafter recognized, have the right to receive an allowance from the State.

Art. 8.
Citizens have the right of associating together and assembling peaceably and unarmed, in order to petition or manifest their ideas by means of the press or otherwise. The exercise of these rights can only be limited by the rights or the liberty of others, or for the public security. The press cannot in any case be subjected to censorship.

Art. 9.
All citizens are equally admissible to all public employments, without other reason of preference than merit, and according to the conditions to be determined by law. All titles of nobility, all distinctions of birth, class or caste are abolished forever.

Art. 10.
All descriptions of property are inviolable; nevertheless, the State may demand the sacrifice of property for reasons of public utility, legally proved, and in consideration of a just and previous indemnity.

Art. 11.
The Constitution guarantees to citizens the freedom of labor and of industry. Society favors and encourages the development of labor by gratuitous primary instruction, by professional education, by the fairness of rights between the employer and the workman, by institutions for the deposit of savings and those of credit, by agricultural institutions; by voluntary associations, and the establishment by the State, the departments and the communes, of public works proper for the employment of unoccupied laborers. Society also will give aid to deserted children, to the sick, and to the destitute aged who are without relatives to support them.

Art. 12.
The confiscation of property may never be reestablished.

Art. 13.
The public debt is guaranteed. Every species of engagement made by the State with its creditors is inviolable.

Art. 14.
All taxes are imposed for the common good. Everyone is to contribute in proportion to his means and fortune.

Art. 15.
No tax can be levied or collected except by virtue of the law.

Art. 16.
Any Frenchman who has attained the age of 21, who is in the enjoyment of his civil rights and liberties, is granted the powers of voting by secret ballot in all manners of elected office or national referendum, without any other requirement.

Chapter III: The Executive Power

Art. 17.
The French people delegate the executive power to a citizen, who shall thus have the power by granted by the French public to represent them and shall receive the title of President of the French Republic.

Art. 18.
In order to be elected as president, one must have been born within the present borders of France or to at least one French parent, in the latter case having been domiciled in France for a minimum of five years. As well, he must have attained the age of thirty.

Art. 19.
The election to the Office of President shall occur the first weekend of June after every fifth year.

Art. 20.
The President of the French Republic shall be elected to a five-year term, to which he may be elected twice in his life.

Art. 21.
Should the office of the Presidency fall vacant due to the death of the incumbent or his removal from office, then the Vice-President shall be elevated to the position of President.

Art. 22.
Should both the incumbent President, and Vice-President be left unfilled, and neither office be filled, then fresh elections must be held no later than three months after day in which both offices were left vacant. During which time the Prime Minister shall act as interim-president.

Art. 23.
Following each election, the records of each department shall be transmitted to the National Assembly, and if there be a clear winner by simple majority, be declared President of the Republic jointly by the Presidents of the Senate and National Assembly. In cases where there is no winner by simple majority, there shall be a runoff between the top two finishers.

Art. 24.
Before entering upon his functions, the President of the Republic shall, in the presence of Parliament, take an oath of the tenor following:—“In presence of God, and before the French people, represented by Parliament, I swear to remain faithful to the democratic Republic, one and indivisible.”

Art. 25.
The President shall be Commander-in-Chief of the armies and navies of France on behalf of the people and Republic.

Art. 26.
All bills of taxation must be signed by the President prior to proposal and must originate in the National Assembly.

Art. 27.
The President shall possess the right of pardon; amnesty can be granted by law only.

Art. 28.
The President of the Republic shall promulgate the laws in the name of the French people.

Art. 29.
Before the day fixed for the promulgation, the President may, by a message assigning reasons therefore, demand a re-consideration of the law. The Chamber of Deputies and Senate shall then re-consider it, its resolution becomes definitive, and shall be transmitted to the President of the Republic. In such a case the promulgation shall be made within the delay allowed to laws of emergency.

Art. 30.
The credentials of envoys and ambassadors from foreign powers shall be addressed to the President of the Republic.

Art. 31.
The President shall have the right, through the Prime Minister or Vice-President in their respective chambers, to present legislation to the National Assembly.

Art. 32.
The President, or those he appoints in his stead, shall preside at all national solemnities.

Art. 33.
The President shall have the power to appoint or dismiss any Minister he so desires, bar the appointment of the Prime Minister. He shall appoint and dismiss the diplomatic agents, commanders of the armed forces of the Republic, by sea and land, prefects and the chief commandant of the National Guards, the Governors of the colonies and all other authorities of superior rank.

Art. 34.
The number of ministers and their several powers, duties and emoluments shall be settled by the President.

Art. 35.
The actions of the President, excepting those by which he appoints or dismisses the ministers of the Republic, shall be of no effect, unless countersigned by a minister or Prime Minister.

Art. 36.
The President shall not cede any portion of the territory of France unless given the unanimous approval of the Senate.

Art. 37.
The President shall negotiate and ratify any treaty with foreign powers, but said treaty shall not enter into effect until approval has been granted by simple majority of both chambers of Parliament.

Art. 38.
The President shall have the right of pardon, but it shall not enter effect until a session in both Chambers have taken place, in which the elected official may give advice, after which it shall enter effect by co-signature of the Prime Minister.

Art. 39.
In default of the promulgation of laws by the President, within the period fixed by the preceding articles, the President of the Assembly shall provide for their due promulgation.

Art. 40.
The ministers shall be given the the priority of speaking whenever they require it on matters of legislation, and they may also obtain the assistance of commissioners, who shall have been appointed by a decree of the President of the Republic.

Art. 41.
Laws of emergency shall be promulgated three days after and other laws one month after their passing counting from the day on which they were passed by the National Assembly.

Art. 42.
The Vice-President shall be appointed by the Senate, to act on behalf of the President in such cases where the President is otherwise indisposed. He must be a sitting member of the Senate.

Art. 43.
The President of the Republic may be removed from Office by a vote of no confidence in each Chamber, needing a 3/5 majority. No such motion can be proposed unless the President due to illness is unable to fulfill his office, or there is severe reason to believe or proof that the President has committed a serious crime or treason against the Republic. Should such event come to pass, the Vice-President will assume office until such a time that the High Court of Justice has passed judgement in the matter.

Chapter IV: The Council of Ministers

Art. 44.
There shall be a Council of Ministers that shall formally be headed by the Prime Minister.

Art. 45.
The Council of Ministers shall act on behalf of the President of the Republic and according to his will.

Art. 46.
The President and Vice-President of the Republic may join and voice their opinions on any and all gatherings of the Council of Ministers.

Art. 47.
Any member, save the Vice-President, may be dismissed at the discretion of the President of the Republic.

Art. 48.
Any member, save for the President, Vice-President or Prime Minister, may be removed from their positions by a vote of no confidence by either chamber of the National Assembly if there be reasonable cause, though said vote of no confidence may be overturned by a vote of simple majority by the other Chamber. In the event that the motion is overturned, the chamber of origination, with a 2/3 majority, may override the overturning of the original motion of no confidence.

Art. 49.
The Prime Minister shall present any and all legislation of the Government to the National Assembly and act as the representative of the President, unless he should be indisposed at
which case the respective Ministers shall exercise this duty.

Art. 50.
The Vice-President shall present any and all legislation of the Government to the Senate and act as the representative of the President, unless he should be indisposed at which case the respective Ministers shall exercise this duty.

Chapter V: The Vice-President

Art. 51.
The Vice-President of the Republic shall be appointed by the Senate by simple majority. The position is eligible for re-election barring a successful prior vote of no-confidence.

Art. 52.
The person appointed Vice-President must be a sitting member of the Senate with no prior criminal record of assault, theft, or murder. Furthermore, he should possess all the qualifications of an eligible candidate for President.

Art. 53.
No person who has previously been elected President within the past three Presidential elections, may be elected to the Office of Vice-President.

Art. 54.
In cases of which the office of President has become vacant, the Vice-President shall assume office after having given the same oath as required by the President upon assumption of office before both Chambers.

Art. 55.
The Vice-President may be removed from office by 3/5 majority of the Senate.

Art. 56.
The Vice-President may retain his seat in the Senate, but shall not exercise the right to vote on legislative matters.

Art. 57.
The Vice-President may not without the signed approval of the President present legislation to the Senate.

Chapter VI: The Prime Minister

Art. 58.
The Prime Minister shall be elected by simple majority of the National Assembly, at which point he shall assume his responsibilities after approval by the President of the Republic.

Art. 59.
The Prime Minister may only be denied by the President to serve in his elected office if he has prior criminal conviction or through his own actions in his life, has incurred upon his character a reputation of questionable morals.

Art. 60.
The Prime Minister must be a member of the National Assembly, though special dispensation may be granted by the President of the Republic for desired individuals outside of that body.

Art. 61.
The National Assembly may dismiss the Prime Minister at any point by a motion of no confidence, which will be determined by simple majority.

Art. 62.
The President of the Republic may dismiss the Prime Minister should he refuse to propose legislation on behalf of the government or alter it in any way, at which point the National Assembly must elect a new Prime Minister.

Art. 63.
The National Assembly may, by two-thirds majority, delegate the appointment of a Prime Minister to the discretion of the President.

Art. 64.
The Prime Minister may not present legislation to the National Assembly without the approval of the President.

Chapter VII: The Legislative Power

Art. 65.
The legislative power will be vested in the citizens of France, who will exercise that power through the fair election of parliamentary representatives.

Art. 66.
An individual shall not be permitted to serve in the National Assembly or Senate while holding an active military office, civil service post, the Presidency, or a seat in another chamber concurrently.

Chapter VIII: The National Assembly

Art. 67.
The National Assembly shall be comprised of 565 delegates elected from across France, who shall be obligated to represent all of France, rather than the districts which have elected them.

Art. 68.
500 seats in the National Assembly shall be elected from the departments by arrondissement election. All arrondissements will be granted representation.

Art. 69.
65 seats shall be granted directly to the various cities of France, who shall elect those delegates in addition to any others to which they might be entitled.

Art. 70.
All French departments shall be granted, at minimum, one seat in the National Assembly.

Art. 71.
All other seats in the National Assembly will be distributed on the basis of the voting population in a given electoral district.

Art. 72.
Any man who has attained the age of 25, who has possesses his civil rights and liberties, may stand for election to the National Assembly.

Art. 73.
The elections for representatives shall be by departments, and by secret ballot. The electors shall vote at the chief place of their district; nevertheless the district may be, from local causes, divided into several subdivisions, under the forms and in conformity with the conditions to be determined by the electoral law.

Art. 74.
The National Assembly is elected for the period of five years, to be then wholly renewed. Forty-five days, at least, before the term of the Legislature, a law shall be passed to fix the period of the new elections. If no law is passed within the time prescribed by the preceding paragraph, the electors shall have full right to assemble and vote on the thirtieth day preceding the close of the Legislature. The new National Assembly is convoked by full right for the day following that on which the trust of the preceding National Assembly expires. The date of natural elections to the National Assembly shall be the same as of the Presidency.

Art. 75.
The National Assembly may, by simple majority, call for new elections prior to the five year date, although the new term shall end on the same date as it would have had elections not been called.

Art. 76.
The National Assembly, along with the Senate, must approve of any taxation increases presented with the signature of the President before they may go into effect.

Art. 77.
It is the responsibility of the National Assembly to elect a Prime Minister.

Art. 78.
The National Assembly shall elect a President of the National Assembly from among their members who shall ensure orderly and fair debate and conduct. Should they fail to do so within thirty days of meeting, new elections will automatically be called.

Art. 79.
The President of the National Assembly may decide in which order items of the session shall be addressed and in which order legislation and debates shall occur. Emergency government legislation and tax proposals shall take precedence whenever possible.

Art. 80.
Any member of the National Assembly has the right to propose legislation.

Art. 81.
Any bill or legislation passed in the National Assembly must likewise be passed in the Senate by simple majority.

Art. 82.
The persons of the delegates are inviolable. They cannot be pursued, accused, nor condemned, at any time, for opinions uttered within the National Assembly.

Art. 83.
The members of the National Assembly cannot be arrested for criminal offences, except when taken in the very fact, nor prosecuted, until after permission granted for such purpose by the Senate. In case of an arrest in the very fact, the matter shall immediately be referred to the Senate, which shall authorise or refuse the continuation of the prosecution. The above regulation to apply also to the case of citizens imprisoned at the time of being named representatives. The High Court of Justice may overrule the Senate if they believe it to be in the interest of the French people.

Art. 84.
The presence of half the members, and also one over, is necessary to vote on any law.

Art. 85.
Should seats in the National Assembly become vacant, elections will be held to fill those seats the coming spring unless general elections are scheduled for that year.

Chapter IX: The Senate

Art. 86.
14 provinces shall be established in France which shall encompass all departments, which shall form the electoral circles for the members of Senate

Art. 87.
Each province will be allotted two seats automatically, with an additional seat for every 125,000 inhabitants of the province.

Art. 88.
Upon election, the members elected to the Senate in the provinces shall be those of highest number of votes in descending order, regardless of other considerations.

Art. 89.
Any man who has attained the age of 40 may stand for election to the Senate.

Art. 90.
The Senate is elected for the period of ten years, to be then wholly renewed. Forty-five days, at least, before the term of the Legislature, a law shall be passed to fix the period of the new elections. If no law is passed within the time prescribed by the preceding paragraph, the electors shall have full right to assemble and vote on the thirtieth day preceding the close of the Legislature. The new Senate is convoked by full right for the day following that on which the trust of the preceding Senate expires. The date of natural elections to the Senate shall be the same as of the National Assembly and Presidency.

Art. 91.
The Senate may, by simple majority, call for new elections prior to the ten year date, although the new term shall end on the same date as it would have had elections not been called.

Art. 92.
It is the responsibility of the Senate to elect, from among their members, an individual who shall serve as President of the Senate, to ensure order and fair debate and conduct within the Chamber. Should they fail to do so within thirty days of meeting, new elections will automatically be called.

Art.. 93.
The President of the Senate may decide in which order items of the session shall be addressed and in which order legislation and debates shall occur. Emergency government legislation and tax proposals shall take precedence whenever possible.

Art. 94.
It shall be the responsibility of the Senate to elect the Vice-President of the French Republic.

Art. 95.
Any Senator may propose legislation, barring that regarding taxation.

Art. 96.
All legislation shall pass within the Senate with a vote of simple majority, but before being able to go into effect, must also be passed within the National Assembly.

Art. 97.
The persons of the senators are inviolable. They cannot be pursued, accused, nor condemned, at any time, for opinions uttered within the Senate.

Art. 98.
Senators cannot be arrested for criminal offences, except when taken in the very fact, nor prosecuted, until after permission granted for such purpose by the National Assembly. In case of an arrest in the very fact, the matter shall immediately be referred to the National Assembly, which shall authorise or refuse the continuation of the prosecution. The above regulation to apply also to the case of citizens imprisoned at the time of being named representatives. The High Court of Justice may overrule the National Assembly if they believe it to be in the interest of the French people.

Art. 99.
The presence of fifty percent plus one Senators is necessary to vote on any law.

Art. 100.
Should seats in the Senate become vacant, elections will be held to fill those seats the coming spring unless general elections are scheduled for that year.

Chapter X: The Administration of the Interior

Art. 101.
The division of the territory into departments, arrondissements, districts and communes shall be maintained. Their present limits shall not be changed, except by law.

Art. 102.
There shall be—1st. In each department an administration composed of a Commissioner of the Republic, a general council, and a council of prefecture. 2nd. In each arrondissement, a Deputy Commissioner. 3rd. In each district, a district-council; nevertheless, only a single district-council shall be established in any city which is divided into several districts. 4th. In each commune, an administration, composed of a mayor, his assistants, and a municipal council.

Art. 103.
It is the right of every French citizen to be locally represented in his area of residence, as such, the positions and members of the General Councils, District Councils and Municipal Councils shall be elected by the local citizens.

Art. 104.
The duties and responsibilities of the General Councils, District Councils and Municipal Councils shall be decided at a later date by laws passed by the Parliament of the French Republic.

Art. 105.
The departments of France shall be integrated into 14 provinces.

Chapter XI: The Judiciary

Art. 106.
All Justice is dealt in the name of the French people from which power the laws of France have been written.

Art. 107.
All proceedings of the judiciary shall be open to the French public, unless they be deemed a danger to public order, morality or the security of the French state at which they may then be held out of sight from the public.

Art. 108.
Trial by jury shall be continued in all cases of a criminal matter.

Art. 109.
All rulings on charges made, lest they be in the High Court of Justice, on account of political offense, or upon offences committed by the press, remain the sole purview of the Jury, who shall both rule the verdict and the punishment as proscribed within the law, but must first take advice from the judge presiding.

Art. 110.
The Justices of Peace, their assistants, Judges of first instance and of appeal, along with the members of the Court of Cassation, Magistrates and the Court of Accounts shall be appointed by the President of the Republic, the appointment of which shall be legislated by the first National Assembly, and may in future be altered by the President if he receives a two-thirds majority in both Chambers.

Art. 111.
The Justices of Cassation and Appeal may only be removed from their office by the President of the Republic after consultation with the Court of High Justice and approval by a two-thirds majority in both Chambers.

Art. 112.
The councils of war and that of the revision of armies by land and sea, along with maritime tribunals and tribunals of commerce along with any other special tribunals already existing, shall remain in their present organization and function until such a time that a law of the Republic with the approval of the National Assembly decree otherwise.

Art. 113.
A court of High Justice shall be convened, who shall have the sole preview of passing judgement onto the President, Vice-President or any sitting member of either Chamber, from which rulings there shall be no appeal, on any accusation of criminal charges, breaking of laws or other instances of similar cases, in which a normal law court would otherwise take precedence.

Art. 114.
Every three years judges shall be elected to the Court of High Justice, the French Courts shall each elect two judge of reputable reputation, after which representatives of each of the General Council within a region shall convene, and approve or deny the candidature of the judges, to a maximum of five judges per region, after which from the President of the Republic, the National Assembly and the Senate shall each appoint three Judges to take seat for the coming three years, with the President of the Republic appointing the High Justice who shall chair the Court of High Justice.

Art. 115.
No judge, once appointed, may be removed by any temporal power save his own in case of retirement, or that of a majority within the Court of High Justice if he stands accuse of a grave crime.

Art. 116.
The judges approved by the General Councils of France, but not selected by the either the President or either Chamber, shall constitute the Jury who shall take part in each ruling and case handled by the Court of High Justice.

Art. 117.
A special tribunal, the Court of Arbitration, shall be selected each three years, consisting of a total of eight members, four appointed by the High Court of Justice from among its jury, and four appointed by the President of the Republic, to decide upon all cases in which there shall be conflict of privilege or duty between the executive and administrative authorities. The Minister of Justice shall be President of this body whenever it gathers.

Art. 118.
Any ruling made by the Court of Arbitration, may be reviewed by the Court of High Justice, who may then issue comment on the ruling.

Art. 119.
Any accuse of incompetence, abuse of power, or otherwise may only be levied by the members of the Senate, or the law courts of France, and the judgement in such accusations may only be passed by the Court of High Justice.

Art. 120.
Any French citizen shall have the right of appeal twice, in which a new judge and jury shall rule upon his or her case, without prior prejudice or account of prior ruling, unless otherwise stated by the Constitution.

Chapter XII: Amending the Constitution

Art. 121.
The Constitution can be amended at any time if the President of the French Republic puts forth an amendment which is approved by a two-thirds majority in both Chambers. In order to do so, he must personally deliver the amendment to the Presidents of both Chambers.

Art. 122.
Alternatively, the President may present a motion in either the National Assembly or the Senate and, if passed by a two-thirds majority in that Chamber, a national referendum shall be organized in which the public will decide by a vote of simple majority if they assent to the amendment of the Constitution. If the public power is granted, the President has the authority to rewrite the constitution after which he shall seek approval for its implementation in both Chambers by a two-thirds majority, and require approval by at least one Chamber.

Art. 123.
By a 2/3 majority of both chambers of Parliament, a national referendum on an amendment to the Constitution may be called. By a simple majority of public support, the amendment shall be ratified.

Chapter XIII: Transitory Arrangements

Art. 124.
The provisions of the codes, laws and regulations now in force, and which are not in contradiction with the present constitution, shall remain in force until otherwise provided by law.

Art. 125.
All the authorities constituted by the present laws shall continue in the exercise of their present duties until the promulgation of the organic laws which relate to them.

Art. 126.
The law of judiciary organization will determine the particular mode for the appointment and first composition of the new tribunals.

Art. 127.
After the vote upon the Constitution, the Constituent Assembly shall proceed to draw up the organic laws which shall be determined by a special law for that purpose.

Art. 128.
The first election of a President of the Republic shall take place in conformity with the special law (passed by the Constituent Assembly), in regards to the date, and under such conditions as the Constitution proclaims, the law no later passed than on the 14th of September 1850.

Last edited:
Hippolyte Passy
l2GfMbd.jpg

...and this is why, for the procurement of financial confidence, and the alleviation of state accumulation of property, the Government presses the following measures.

Article I. All financial institutions, excluding the Bank of France, recently placed in the public trust, will be assigned the appellation of dérouler.
Article II. The Ministry of Finance is granted the authorization to sell ownership of the dérouler back to the public at rates profitable to the Treasury, unless Article III is invoked.
Article III. The Ministry of Finance reserves the right to offer discounted rates, at the discretion of the Ministry, back to the original proprietors.

Article I. The Decree of the Establishment of the Properties Commission is abolished.
Article II. All property assumed under the Commission is restored to their former owners, excluding the exceptions of Article III.
Article III. All buildings and spaces currently used for the current operation of the state, such as the Palais Bourbon and the Palais des Tuileries, remain in the public possession under the Ministry of the Interior.

Below are the proposed GOVERNMENT LAWS for the constitutional-writing period. All these laws are open to debate.

Article I. Article III of the Election Decree of the Provisional Government is abrogated.
Article II. Article IV of the Election Decree of the Provisional Government is amended, allowing military officers to sit in the Assembly.

Article I. There will be a committee to investigate the purposes and functions of the national workshops.
Article II. Said committee will be run by Ministry of Public Works, and comprised of certified officials deemed capable and competent to investigate and oversee the National Workshop program.

Article I. All financial institutions, excluding the Bank of France, recently placed in the public trust, will be assigned the appellation of dérouler.
Article II. The Ministry of Finance is granted the authorization to sell ownership of the dérouler back to the public at rates profitable to the Treasury, unless Article III is invoked.
Article III. The Ministry of Finance reserves the right to offer discounted rates, at the discretion of the Ministry, back to the original proprietors.

Article I. The Decree of the Establishment of the Properties Commission is abolished.
Article II. All property assumed under the Commission is restored to their former owners, excluding the exceptions of Article III.
Article III. All buildings and spaces currently used for the current operation of the state, such as the Palais Bourbon and the Palais des Tuileries, remain in the public possession under the Ministry of the Interior.

LINKED HERE is the PROPOSED CONSTITUTION.

For the next TWENTY-FOUR HOURS, any desired AMENDMENTS must be PROPOSED in the ASSEMBLY. The entire Constitution is open for public debate. An amendment requires a majority to pass, as does the Constitution. Note: I'm giving an inertia benefit to the status quo constitution as the committee was diverse and proceeded on consensus. Thus amendments will require a de facto higher threshold to pass.

Also if someone wants to write up the special law, which I imagine would just ask for a total dissolution on a specified date, please do so.

Last edited:
A breeze flew in through the window and found Lièvremont sipping on his tenth glass of wine, that night. Or was it the eleventh? Things were a blur, after the carousing and also after the long meetings of the Constitutional Committee. With a slow mind, he scribbled what would be a sketch for next weekend's pamphlet.

A Constitutional Call

The French people have been battered and torn since the horrid revolutions of the 1790's. The upheaval of what was dearest to the people opened wounds of which the scars still hesitate to normalize. But the spirit of France lives on.

As a noble and well-thanked choice by M. de Lévis, the one who now writes to you, as a proud defender of the old order, was nominated to the Constitutional Committee a few months ago. Dear reader: I have, not once or twice, but many more times, considered this position. But in my mind there was no real choice bu acceptance and the mustering of my utmost courage. To ensure the most basic dignity of France and her sons, we need an united Right for a time which is so delicate. We needed a voice for the peasants, for the meek, for the unsung majority who watches aghast as France goes stepping through revolutions. For the ones who seek peace and prosperity, as we once had.

With all reservations told and untold, I took part in the committee. What transpired gave me hope in an united front of whoever desires the well-being of our nation. Cooperation, at times, speaks best. Through blood, sweat and tears, we have put forward a plan for a stable France. The Constitution is not what we would all prefer. It does not stand for all we stand for. But it does stand for most of it, and provides a framework through which the public will again be heard in the palaces of government - as M. de Lévis fine proposal on the regulation of worship has shown, in practice. As imperfect as it may be, what the Constitution does is provide a beacon of light in the utter darkness of the past few years.

The times of trouble in the country have mixed with my own experience; as I was elected to the Assembly in the final years of the June Monarchy. Dear readers, I know of the plight of our people; I have lived through it, as a backbencher peasant in a Paris of liberal salons, bourgeois hôtels and the feigned ennui and condescendence of carreerists. I, too, watched as a broken regime was supplanted by those who wished to have a clear path forward in their struggle to lead France to the abyss.

This Constitution shows, and I hope the readers agree, that such was not the case. Be still and be strong, for you have those whom to trust in Paris. As for myself, I rest on no laurels, but only on the promise of a better tomorrow, of legality, trust and honour. Rest with me, and onwards, with the help and mercy of God.

- J.P.H. Lièvremont

Mémoires d'un royaliste

GHhI8iS.jpg

We read in the Memoires of M. Odilon Barrot: The selection could not be made from the Legitimist party without some difficulty; it was neccesary that the minister chosen to represent his party should possess its full confidence, and yet that he should ally himself on some point or other with the ideas of progress and liberty to which a ministry of the Republic could not fail to respond." The President mentions kindly that his notable choice fell upon me, and he added: M. de Charlus combined with very pronounced catholic convictions unquestionably liberal sentiments. I saw him at this time, and was fortunate enough to induce him to accept." M. Odiolon Barrot is mistaken; it is true that he proposed the office to me, but it was the Abbe Dupanloup, who in concert with Msgr. Bourget, persuaded me to accept.

In the beginning of August 1850, the Assembly's chosen, M. Odilon Barrot, called upon me, and offered the portfolio of Public Instruction and Worship. I received this overture with real surprise, and could only respond with a distinct refusal. He did not try to strongly insist upon my acceptance, and went away with the air of a man of indifference. At the next sitting of the Assembly, I felt it my duty to seek out the President in one of the lobbies, and thank him for the honor he had paid me. I then spoke to him for the first time in confidence, and hoped to depart quickly, but he graciously expressed a wish to converse with me for a few moments, and in order that our interview should not be interrupted by the public, we moved to the old Chamber of Deputies, which adjoined our provisional house.

We were alone in that vast hall, surrounded by marble walls and columns. The President briefly assured me of the same regret my refusal had caused him, and with the same brevity I excused myself on account of my ill-health. He asked: "If you are alarmed at the work of the combined ministries, only take one of them." I responded that I was just as incapable of filling one as of two. We departed and good terms, and I resigned myself to reflection. I wished not to incur the anger of the gentlemen who influenced events from outside the Assembly by a firm refusal, and therefore left the sitting with the intention of not reappearing at the Palais Bourbon until the ministerial list was finished.

M. de Montalembert asked to meet Msgr. Bourget, the following day. I was punctual to the hour named, but found that his amiable priest, who has won the unanimous veneration of his contemporaries, had preceded me. He encapsulated the ideal of Madame Swetchine's and rendered himself only second a saint, and first an honest man. In the presence of M. de Montalembert and Msgr. Bourget I felt myself caught between two hearts and minds who would best vanquish my resistance. I listened devoutly to their entreaties, and when they had overcome many of my faculties, I replied: No doubt we are concerned with the interests of religion, but where you think you will be advancing them, I believe you will compromising them. The monarchial principle does not obstruct my acceptance, as the monarchy is not currently in question, and the Duc de Cars urges me to accept as much as you. It is simply a question of religion, which can never be separated from the public interest. If I hoped to sere, I could not help but hesitate to sacrifice my scruples to M. Odilon Barrot, who has always proved so difficult to causes that I deem most advantageous for France."

They insisted that I oblige another participant, M. Mole, in whose name M. de Montalembertt had constantly spoken. He wrote my a letter undisguised in bitterness, demanding my participation, but I continued to resist. I decided to take a walk in the Jardin des Plantes, making sure that no politicians would go there in search of me. I arrived late in the evening at Salon de Madame Swetchine, when the Abbe Dupanloup stormed in and demanded to see me. He gave me a forceful dressing, and quoted Barrot, who had said "To-day the legitimist party raises its standard, tomorrow the Orleanists will do the same. I cannot remain thus in mid air, and must ask the Left for the assistance which the Right has refused me." He forced upon me the responsibility, and declared 'this is the situation created by your obstinacy!' He reminded me of the precarious situation in Rome, and I was suddenly convinced.

Descombes states the following on Passy's bills

"They want us to buy back what we owned? The government did not buy our banks, and now they are selling them like they did. This is pawning at the highest level, and I request the government do something, for many of us cannot buy back our own companies in the current financial state of France."