Refitting ships and deploying divisions in overseas territory

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Atomichazza

Sergeant
20 Badges
Jun 13, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Darkest Hour
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Hearts of Iron III
I find it staggering that in order to refit a ship it has to sail all the way back to a home port. If I'm playing as the UK and want to refit a Battleship that is part of my Pacific Fleet it has to travel half way across the world on it's own risking interception just to get a radar upgrade or the latest traits. Why can't I just have it refit in Australia or Singapore? This is what happened in real life, hell the Royal Navy even used US dockyards for refits.

Same sort of thing with divisions. I know you can use subject and exiled government templates and have them trained and deployed in their territory but why can't I train and deploy my own divisions in parts of Africa for example. This was done in the war (King's African Rifles, 7th Armoured Division). I can do it if I release them as a nation but not if I control the actual land. Seems backwards.

I feel like so much more can be done with Empires like Britain. It all feels very disjointed with your own subjects doing their own thing most of the time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I find it staggering that in order to refit a ship it has to sail all the way back to a home port. If I'm playing as the UK and want to refit a Battleship that is part of my Pacific Fleet it has to travel half way across the world on it's own risking interception just to get a radar upgrade or the latest traits. Why can't I just have it refit in Australia or Singapore? This is what happened in real life, hell the Royal Navy even used US dockyards for refits.
Funnily enough this was the exact problem the royal navy had, Ships indeed had to for larger refits travel back the the UK due to the equipment being there or the large engineering drydocking capability being only there, Singapore had a floating drydock and Gibraltar a large dry dock but they were only good for mostly repair and less invasive refits. The details of which dockyard can handle what are not dealt with on hoi4's scale so it is abstracted as it is.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
My understanding is a ship will head to the nearest port that has a dockyard to refit. Want to refit in Singapore? Build a single dockyard there.

As to deploying units in your puppets territory, one thing I do is spend 5 army xp to create a single infantry btn division exactly for this purpose.

Say, you want to deploy your UK troops to India.

1 The normal way:
Deploy in the UK, transport to India and risk getting intercepted and sunk.
2 My way:
Create a 2w Indian div template – these deploy quickly, cav will do, too, although takes a bit longer.
Deploy in India (ofc) as soon as it's 20 per cent trained. Switch template to you UK division. Wait for the manpower to fill up to 100% and train it up to lvl 3.

Your manpower and equipment will have to arrive from the UK, sure. Thus, likely to be intercepted by the enemy. But miraculously, raw manpower / reinforcements never gets destroyed, unlike divisions being transported. You will lose convoys and equipment, but the manpower just arrives to fill up your divs, a walk in the park. PDX works in mysterious ways for sure.

Ofc this also works in reverse if you need to deploy your puppets' units in your territory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Your manpower and equipment will have to arrive from the UK, sure. Thus, likely to be intercepted by the enemy. But miraculously, raw manpower / reinforcements never gets destroyed, unlike divisions being transported. You will lose convoys and equipment, but the manpower just arrives to fill up your divs, a walk in the park. PDX works in mysterious ways for sure.
You don't lose equipment this way. Only LL stuff is tracked and is endangered. Land divisions are elevated almost as high as air units in terms of PDX favours and enjoy all sorts of conveniences which apparently are too good to be implemented for Navy.

You don't lose equipment this way. Only LL stuff is tracked and is endangered. Land divisions are elevated almost as high as air units in terms of PDX favours and enjoy all sorts of conveniences which apparently are too good to be implemented for Navy.

But you can have your divisions badly mauled by submarines and arriving at like 10 per cent of their fighting strength. Are you telling me they don't lose equipment, only manpower? It just magically goes back to stockpile? Huge if true.

But you can have your divisions badly mauled by submarines and arriving at like 10 per cent of their fighting strength. Are you telling me they don't lose equipment, only manpower? It just magically goes back to stockpile? Huge if true.
Divisions intercepted do lose strength and appropriately MP/equipment too (albeit not the way one would think). Once stationed on land though, any MP/equipment sent to reinforce said division does not receive any damage at all and is at most delayed.

Specifically this bit was answered:
You will lose convoys and equipment, but the manpower just arrives to fill up your divs

Last edited:
Reactions: