• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The fall of Delhi was fast and devastating as an elephant stampede... I agree with Qorten's advice, with one caveat: you don't want to get too close to Ming :eek: not just yet anyway, the elephant has to grow bigger to crush the dragon :D

i think the Delhi riches the estate agent tricked you in is some graphics glich, it's not only weapons manu but a uni and other manys as well in the pic;
but come on with the cashflow from a province which has 'such a potential' - the estate agent's words, it'll look like in the pic in no time ;)

blsteen - I missed you by a minute last time - sorry. Yes, I know all about the elephant guns. One of my nightmares is getting into a war with someone like Castile, when they have Land Tech 25-ish and I have about 10. Hence my desire to Westernise as soon as possible.

Qorten - You bet I wanted to do something bad to Deva Bengal! After years of maneuvering - remember I took Pandua in the last war precisely so I could get a shot at Bangala (my mission target) - I thought I finally had Bangala in my hands. And then they pulled exactly the same trick on me that I've been pulling on AI allies since the start - wait for an opening, grab a siege with a couple of regiments a day or so ahead of the friendly stack, let them do the dying and collect the prize yourself. I didn't even realise what had happened until I suddenly noticed my army in Bangala assaulting without orders.

As for Buddhist provinces, there are four major problems:
1) Buddhism and Hinduism are in the same religion group, so DOWs cost stability.
2) Most of the closer Buddhist provinces (Arakan & Burma) are poor
3) Most of the Buddhist states have aleeady been chewed up by Ming
and most importantly
4)None of them (except Ceylon) are in Gondwanaland. This is the "Re-Uniting Gondwanaland" AAR, after all, not "Random Conquest in Laurasia". ;) So SE Asia is off the menu unless I get really bored or desperate.

The CoT in Bihar, on the other hand...

Kanil - If Delhi isn't the richest province on the map, it's close. No idea why Delhi left it unfortified - hope it was a side-effect of the collapse and not the bug where the AI hoards hundreds of ducats and stops building improvements. Anyway, rebels of course permitting, it will be fortified soon.

Enewald - Five words: Bad Boy War With Ming. Besides, there are less dramatic alternatives....

The Arch Mede - Thanks. :) Not original, but I think it fitted.

aldriq - Too right I don't want to get too close to Ming - they have similar tech, more money and about five times my manpower. Fighting off the Endless Hordes has never been my idea of fun.

gabor - It think it's a glitch too - I saw a similar thing in another province for about a month between annexation and reset. As for development - elephant needs tech!

Good things come to those who wait - eventually.

Nothing much happens for a bit. We build a fort in Delhi. A scandal in the court drops our stability. We finally reach Trade 4. I trade a 2-star artist for a 3-star artist. The elephant takes up knitting. Yes, it is that boring. Then Deva Bengal, who I neglected to warn, DOWs mini-Orissa, and gets hit by Ceylon, Bihar and Assam.

Unable to do anything but watch, we watch. Our great Statesman dies and there's nothing to replace him with. Eventually Ceylon wins – which is at least interesting – and takes Bangala, causing our mission to cancel. The next one pops and it's hardly a thrill. Royal Marriage with Bihar. <The elephant has its toenails polished and starts reading "Dating for Elephants".>

Somehow we are at +200 relations with Bihar. It doesn't stop them refusing two Royal Marriage offers, though.
<The elephant looks hurt.>

Eventually Vijayanagar DOWs Mysore. We jump at this one, despite the two stability hits, because Maharasthra is alliance leader and we might get something from them.

As it turns out, Rajputana sends a stack to help and we end up getting everything – Ahmadnagar, Konkan and vassalisation. Bihar finally accepts our proposal and the mission burns a point of BB. Next one is to incorporate Deccan.

Gondwana_1440.jpg

Gondwana in 1440, after the defeat of Maharasthra

After a moment's thought, I cancel it – it's not worth taking -1 Centralisation for one province. The new one is much more interesting – save the Avadhi (our culture, in case you've forgotten) people in Allahabad. Allahabad is in Bihar. Now if I could just arrange a CB...

Rajputana promptly annexes Maharasthra. So much for that vassal. To remember them, we get a big revolt (15 regiments) in Delhi.

Ceylon is the next to DOW Orissa, triggering guarantees from Bihar & Assam. No CB either way, of course. Vijayanagar is making a dog's breakfast of the still-ongoing war with Mysore and Travancore. We are decadent and lose stability. Sigh. <The elephant doesn't notice - it's too busy being bathed in rosewater by dancing-girls.>

Our military are divided? No, they're united – in the cause of bringing down our stability. I take +1 Offence so the next event can push me back to defence. A 5-star commandant passes through and I grab him.

Bihar forces Ceylon to release Bengal. Wait – Bengal is back and allied to Bihar? DOOOW!
Or rather, NOOOO!, since Bengal has been released as Hindu. Siiigh.
<The elephant opens one eye, and goes back to sleep.>

(Gameplay note here - my plan is to get QftNW as soon as possible, so I can get to the rest of Gondwanaland ahead of the Europeans and hopefully westernise. Every stability hit costs me close to a year's research. Even to pay back Deva Bengal, multiple stability hits for one mediocre province just isn't worth it.)

Vijayanagar finally vassalises Travancore. Mysore's still going. And then something interesting happens:
Claims_1444-1.jpg

If you can't read that, it means cores in Bihar, Rajputana and Vijayanagar.

The next round of the Indian Wars will take a little planning. I decide to take a break at the end of the year.

India_1445.jpg

India is 1445, during the calm before the storm

I risk a slider-push to Centralisation and get a pretender revolt – from a whole three regiments. Suicide minors alert – Punjab and Kashmir separately decide to DOW Khorasan – who are guaranteed by Persia and the Timurids. And our monarch embarrasses the court again and drops our ever-loving stability.

TN_bath%20time.GIF

It's all right for some

Nothing much happens for a bit. We build a fort in Delhi. A scandal in the court drops our stability. We finally reach Trade 4. I trade a 2-star artist for a 3-star artist. The elephant takes up knitting. Yes, it is that boring.
:rofl:

Yes, I'm sure a crafty plan to consolidate the subcontinent is in order.;)

The Right to Rule

blsteen - Crafty plans, Ho! (Actually, I didn't have crafty plan at the time, which shows up in the rather aimless play. Fortunately, it turned out not to matter too much.)

gabor - Yes, I should have guaranteed Orissa (or warned Deva Bengal, or both). I just wasn't thinking. As you have probably spotted by now, I'm not the world's best player.

Still, on with the motley....

Our first choice is easy. Bihar is the weakest of our so-called rivals, Bihar is the target of our current mission, Bihar is the only one not currently our ally. Bihar it shall be. It requires a little preparation, since an immediate DOW would draw a generous 9 stability hits. We arm our diplomats with suitable insults (“Anti-elephantine!” “Deva Bengali!” “AI!”) and send them forth to cancel our Military Access.

Bihar is allied to Vijayanagar, as are we. Vijayanagar is still fighting Mysore and has got itself seriously war-exhausted. All the better if they decide to jump the wrong way. Bihar is also allied to Bengal, Nepal and Punjab, and guaranteed by Tibet. I am not impressed (I mean, how low do you have to be to get a guarantee from Tibet?). They're also somehow at war with Persia and the Timurids, presumably in support of Punjab.

Relations duly lowered, DOW! It still sends our stability negative (drat that Royal Marriage mission),but the cause is just. <The elephant nods sagely and surreptitiously pulls out a copy of “Getting in Touch with Your Inner Rebel.”>

Hmm. That I did not expect. Vijayanagar is in, but Rajputana has dishonoured. At least it saves me breaking an alliance later. And Nepal (bunch of trimmers) has dishonoured both alliances. We're up against Bihar, Bengal, Punjab and Tibet.

Bihar tries to invade Jharkhand. Daipat Simha Duranjaya is waiting with the cavalry. I flood Bihar's provinces with siege armies while my cavalry hunts down the survivors.

Bengal sends their army to Pandua, where their siege (natch) goes much faster than mine in Bengal. Vijayanagar finally annexes Mysore and makes white peace with Bihar shortly after. Punjab buys their way out of the Persian war and invades Delhi. Kashmir is less lucky, losing a province to the Timurids. Rebels pop in Oudh. <The elephant looks unsurprised.>

After way too many ping-pongs, Bihar's army is dead and I can spare troops to deal with Punjab and the rebels. Assam (and Nepal) take the chance to DOW Bihar. Tibet sends an expeditionary force through Bhutan that gets as far as the coast. I drive it off, retake Pandua and vassalise Bengal.

Bihar finds some troops from somewhere and manages to retake Koch. Assam promptly takes it off them, and Bihar makes peace for Koch, isolating Bhutan. Telegu patriots revolt in Teligana and take the province before I can get an army to them. Vijayanagar kindly sends an army to take it back. Nepal takes U-Tsang from Tibet. I kill off Punjab's armies and roll over their provinces. Punjab accepts vassalisation and I take Allahabad and Maithil from Bihar, leaving them with only their capital and Bhutan. The mission completes, cancelling our BB.

Gondwana_1448.jpg

Gondwana in 1448, after the reduction of Bihar. The dark green at upper left is Durrani.

Next mission is the return of “Incorporate Deccan”. I cancel and get “Reclaim Kondavidu” instead. Well, we have a core on Kondavidu, but it's also Vijayanagar's capital. One of those long-term projects, methinks. <The elephant nods sagely.>

Next target will be Rajputana, but we pause a moment to burn off BB and allow our new vassal-allies time to build some armies. I notice that Durrani has revolted from the Timurids, who are making a pig's ear of getting it back. Our Land Reformer dies and we hire a no-good Artist. Rajputana wants to restore the alliance, but I think not. The army is again brought to readiness – and then spends the next few months playing ping-pong with a stack of Delhi-ite rebels from Lucknow. <The elephant has set up a table and is practising with its attendants.>

Distraction over, we DOW Bundelkhand. They're still allied to the Rajputs from when they were released, and I see no point in unnecessary stability hits.

Rajputana, unlike some AIs I could name, sees no point in hopeless wars. They dishonour the alliance without blinking. I occupy and annex Bundelkhand anyway and send in the missionary.

I raise another couple of thousand troops as insurance. Access is revoked, insults are sent and the war is on. Once again, Vijayanagar drops out with white peace soon after it starts, but it doesn't matter as I clobber Rajputana's armies (with the Commandant, I'm on 112% Discipline and it shows) and flood their provinces. Meanwhile, random weirdness breaks out in the east – first Manipuri rebels pop up in Pandua and then a few months later Manipur itself rebels (from Assam) in Koch – a province which Manipur has never owned. At which point the rebels sieging my territory raise the Manipur banner, declare themselves the “First Liberation Army” and march “home”. Manipur isn't at war with me or anything. I decide to let bygones be bygones. <The elephant shakes its head and ostentatiously ties a knot in its handkerchief.>

Rajputana is made to grovel in short order and I take four provinces – Dadra, Baroda, Udaipur and Ajmer – and, even better, no less than 750 ducats. (The hoarding of cash by even minor AI powers is something I hope they fix in HttT – it makes warmongering far too rewarding). I now have the land link to Kutch. I also have, for the first time, enough BB (6.6) to notice. A few years' peace seems in order.

Gondwana_1451.jpg

Gondwana in 1451, after the reduction of Rajputana. Note Manipur (light green) at right.

Peace, of course is relative, as the rebels are keen to remind me. I hire a semi-competent (2-star) Scientist to replace my 1-star Artist and slowly crawl up to Naval 4, Production 4, Trade 5 & Gov 6. Ming annexes Taungu and is now pressed up against the borders of Assam. Ming has 98,000 troops. I'd prefer not to have to fight Ming. <”The elephant is studying “Chinese Phrases You Should Know.”>

Life, punctuated by revolts, goes on. Bhutan revolts from Bihar (dammit, I was hoping to avoid the BB from annexing Bihar). We get a Gift to the State and consider building temples. We re-instate our alliance with Nepal and they thank us by DOWing Bhutan. Faced with three stability hits for honouring, we drop the alliance and the alliance drops our prestige. Vijayanagar diplo-annexes Travancore, which cleans up the map a bit. Finally, we get our first cores (Maharastra and Nagpur) by occupation rather than event. This gives us Marathi as a fifth accepted culture (we actually have more Kanauji, these days, but that's in our culture-group so less important).

Gondwana_charts_1455.jpg

Multiculturalism is good, kiddies.

TN_cowboy.GIF

Trying out new cultures....

As for development - elephant needs tech!

sure, but before you venture outside the subcontinent

As for Buddhist provinces, there are four major problems:
(...)
4)None of them (except Ceylon) are in Gondwanaland. This is the "Re-Uniting Gondwanaland" AAR, after all, not "Random Conquest in Laurasia". ;) So SE Asia is off the menu unless I get really bored or desperate.

you might vassalise these, if not for the money, for free troops

Building Temples is an excellent investment, most certainly so when built as early as possible. Less money and time to spend on raising stability, more on actual research!
Good expansion east and west. How far west and east will you go and how much do you have to colonize/conquer to have all of Gondwanaland reunited?

gabor - the bit about "needing tech" was because I can't actually build anything at the moment except forts and temples. Manufactories are still a long way off at our current research speed.

Vassalising minors in SE Asia isn't a bad plan if they offered themselves, but it's not worth taking stability hits to start wars whose only gain will be minor vassals. Besides, I've waited too long, and Ming has eaten most of them now.

Enewald - Lots of cultures may not be good, but lots of accepted cultures makes it a bit less bad. Teaching all India (4 culture groups and about 15 major cultures) to speak Elephant is a long-term ambition. I'll be happy if I get them to forget Rebel.

blsteen - Yes, but hopefully the phrases will be things like "Give us all your gold" and "Death to Invaders!" rather than "I beg mercy!", "Please accept this tribute!" & "Your will, O divine Emperor".

Qorten - Agree about the temples, but until recently I didn't have the cash (the consequence of lots of provinces and not many cores).

As to Gondwanaland, accounts vary, but the consensus view is: South America (but Central America or the carribean islands), Africa (inc Madagascar), Arabia (inc eastern Syria & south-western Iraq), India (inc the Indus Valley & Assam), Australia, New Guinea & New Zealand. Technically Antarctica is included as well. In other words I have to go East and West until I meet myself in the Pacific and beat the Europeans on the way.

How art the mighty fallen, Take 2

By 1455, reputation is back up to “respectable”. Time to knock it down a bit. Of our “rivals”, only Vijayanagar is left. They have 14,000 troops and are allied to us and Rajputana. Rajputana are no longer a major threat, and their money and the income from the new cores lets us support a bigger army without worrying about an overdraft. We cancel the alliance with Vijayanagar and build up our forces to 25,000 (one 10-regiment cavalry stack and five 3-regiment infantry forces). <The elephant has a new hat and is looking very martial>.

Military access revoked, armies deployed, maintenance full and we're good to go. Amazingly, neither rebels or events strike to disrupt our preparations. Vijayanagar's even had a monarch conveniently die to spare us the extra stability hit for breaking a royal marriage.

Rajputana decides they want to lose another war. Annoyingly, vassalising them would cost 102 warscore, so I just take their remaining money (575 ducats) and throw them back (a mistake, should have taken a province to reduce the vassalisation cost for next time). In the south our main stack beats Vijayanagar's main stack, then runs around killing reinforcement regiments while waiting for the infantry to catch up.

Meanwhile, weirdness breaks out in the north, as Nepal takes Bhutan from Bhutan but does not annex them – they must have a revolter province somewhere out in the Great White North. No sooner is that over than Assam and Nepal go for Manipur, quickly followed by Deva Bengal. I have a warning out on Deva Bengal, so I join in, even though I don't have any troops this side or the Vijayanagari border. In a classic instance of DOW-ing before thinking I press the button a day too early and Deva Bengal's allies (including Bihar, dammit) get the chance to dishonour. <The elephant solemnly presents the author with a pamphlet entitled “Remembering the Important Things, the Elephant Way”>

I raise an additional 5,000 cavalry to fight the war in the north – or, as it turns out, to deal with the more pressing problem of a Sunni uprising in Mandla.

The war in the south goes by the numbers. The war in the north is predictably annoying – first Ceylon, then Nepal captures a province and immediately drops out with white peace. <Even the elephant looks baffled.>

We take three wealthy provinces from Vijayanagar – Goa, Raichur Doab and Bangalore. Manipur makes peace with Assam and then – drat them – with Deva Bengal. Tibet annexes Bhutan, ending that anomaly. The Timurids DOW Kashmir, which technically leaves them at war with Bihar & Orissa. I finally finish up in the north. Deva Bengal has nothing worth taking, so I vassalise them to shut them up.

India_1460.jpg

The first bite out of Vijayanagar

The last war puts us over 30 provinces. I'd hoped that would unlock the “Imperial Administration” decision, but no such luck. Instead all I get is another slider-push to Innovative, which comes with the offer of a free 1-star Naval reformer. On a brighter note, a 2-star Treasurer passes through shortly after. Every little helps.

The Timurids annex Kashmir. I offer them military access in case they feel like shipping an army to Bihar, but no dice. In the aftermath of defeat, Vijayanagar is overrun with rebels and goes bankrupt – they have a 24-ship navy (including 18 carracks), so maybe the naval-support death spiral has kicked in. Our army is glorious and gives us free prestige.

The Timurids send an insult to Rajputana so I guarantee them. I'd rather have weak Hindus on my border than strong Muslims. With over 1500 ducats in the treasury and a positive cash flow, I start building temples in my richer provinces. I'll probably be raising stability a good few times between now and end of game.

Oh great. Oh wonderful. Vijayanagar was so messed up by rebels that it collapsed, releasing a four-province Madurai, splitting its Arakan holdings between Manipur and Deva Bengal, and transferring its capital, my target province, to Deccan. I declare a Day of National Mourning for our CB on Vijayanagar. <The elephant looks suitably sad.>

S_India_1460.jpg

Maybe we hit them a bit too hard...

The Timurids take Ladakh from Tibet but are now at war with Persia and Ming simultaneously. Sucks to be Timurid. Oh, and some more random strangeness – Ceylon, a two-province island with no remaining holdings on the mainland, has the mission “Defend against Nepal”, a 4-province mountain state with no coastline. <The elephant is reading an arcane tome entitled “Mysteries of the AI”.>

I case you haven't worked it out, I've got stuck again. My only CB is on Deccan, and I've far too many royal marriages outstanding to play around claiming thrones. I still haven't reached Trade 6, let alone 7. Finally in 1462 our monarch dies and is replaced by – no, not another Narsingh Rai – one Hirade Sahi I, who has no military skills, but Admin 8 and Diplo 7.

The change of monarch has left us with only one outstanding Royal Marriage – to Manipur. Manipur is allied to Bihar. It's worth a shot. I claim their throne, rev up the army, DOW – and success! Bihar, Nepal and rather irrelevantly Ceylon all rush to Manipur's defence.

Ceylon has 7 big ships (I still have none) so nothing doing there, but the remaining allies do not delay us long. Bihar bans our merchants – a truly pointless gesture since we've never sent any - but that does not save them from annexation as soon as I can get an army there. Not only is it a second CoT, but the cost of sending merchants drops from 24 ducats to 6. I take Koch from Manipur – not a great province but it does link up Pandua - and vassalise what's left. Nepal thrashes around a bit until I can complete the sieges and vassalise them as well.

The North-East Frontier is sorted out (Ming forced Timurids to release Kashmir while that was going on, and Persia took a bunch of border provinces and then made white peace, so there's quiet in the North-west as well.)

E_India_1464.jpg

A land route to ... err ... Pandua. Nepal, Bengal, Deva Bengal & Manipur are all vassals.
Assam (red) & Orissa are not. That's Ming at right, threatening our new vassals. Arakan is allied to them.

TN_rajah%20ride.GIF

Ruling India just might be going to the elephant's head...

Bihar bans our merchants – a truly pointless gesture since we've never sent any - but that does not save them from annexation as soon as I can get an army there. Not only is it a second CoT, but the cost of sending merchants drops from 24 ducats to 6.

Good to see Bihar get what they deserve :) That should help with your finances considerably, but will kill your foreign compete chances. With 2 fairly wealthy cots you shouldn't have to worry about competing in external ones much though. Maybe Malacca is next on the menu? I find that once I have all 3 of the southern Asia cots I'm a financial juggernaut, but your Ming is looking pretty aggressive.

How far from QFTNW are you? Heading west for a border with a Latin country to westernize, and sending colonizers east to Incan lands sound like they are going to be pretty important soon with India mostly wrapped up.

"I beg mercy!", "Please accept this tribute!" & "Your will, O divine Emperor".

putting together and printing these in all the, current and future, languages of Gondwana might give the elephant a headache :wacko:

The Nepali's probable just invented para-gliding or whatever you call it and from those huge mountains can sail an army through the sky all the way to Ceylon. :D

Good expansion all over again (I'll have to say that every update, I guess). I assume you are awaiting a wrong move from the Timurids now so you can get some stabhit-free provinces in the Indus-region (not that the AI of the leftover Hindu's would be smart enough not to make a bad move against you).

Enewald - It's funny you should say that. India is becoming too small for all the elephants, and let's just say that the Gondwanan Navy makes an appearance in th next update.

lordkestrel - Actually, they're not terribly wealthy (combined, they add up to a little under 500d). India doesn't have a whole lot of trade inthe early game - it gets better later when the European demand hots up, but in the 1400s all that spice really isn't worth a lot. The only really big CoT around is Jiangsu (800+), but, as you say, not much chance breaking in there while I have the non-core CoT penalty.

I'm holding off Malacca for roleplay reasons - it isn't in Gondwanaland, and while I may yet have to declare the Indonesian islands Gondwanalandish I'm trying to avoid the Laueasian mainland.

I can switch NIs to QftNW when I hit Trade 7 (currently 5). As for colonising east to the Incas, I'd need to get a core in Indonesia, then a second in Samoa or Fiji, then probably a third on Tahiti before I could get to S America. That's 150 years after I get QftNW, by which time there probably won't be much left of the Incas. Of course, there are ways of speeding up the process.

blsteen - Glad you think so! Somethimes I get stuck on the "mysterious". :)

gabor - Lots of things give the elephant a headache. Ping-pong for instance, and beer, and trying to understand the AI... As for languages, I have hope of spreading Avadhi fairly widely (and Elephant, of course, even wider).

Qorten - Paragliding Gurkhas? Not wonder Ceylon is scared. ;)
Actually, I'm hoping the Timurids leave me alone. The Indus valley/Baluchistan provinces are dirt poor, wrong culture-group and wrong-religion, not something I want when I have no missionaries and am trying to push my tech. Certainly not something I want to fight a major power with better land tech over. If I get the chance, I'll probably make them release Baluchistan as a buffer-state, but for now peace will do me fine. The Elephant has wider ambitions.

An Elephant went to sea, sea, sea..

No sooner have I demobilised my troops than up pops a Boundary Dispute with Vijayanagar and a core on Mysore. It costs us Bihari as an accepted culture, but that's life. Vijayanagar still has their 18 carracks but no army. Rajputana supports them, but that just makes it a double splat. We take Jodhpur and money from Rajputana (lousy province, but it makes them small enough to vassalise next time) and, since Mysore plus vassalisation is 102 warscore (again!), Mysore and Malabar from Vijayanagar. Then we start constructing out first navy so we can actually get troops to Malabar. <The elephant puts on a sailor hat> By 1467 the Gondawanan Navy is ready to put to sea, or would be if there was anywhere to sail to, Trade 7 still being 5 years' research away.

Madurai jumps on what's left of Vijayanagar, vassalises it, and forces the release of the Maldives. Sadly, the Maldives are Hindu (Vijayanagar must have converted them), so no easy DOWs on Madurai.

S_India_1465.jpg

The last, lonely outpost of the former Light-Blue Blob

My Trade research is declared heretical, giving me the choice of losing a year's research or spending a year recovering stability. Obviously our Holy Mission has not been sufficiently explained to the Brahmins. <The elephant sets up a blackboard and attempts to teach them.>

We sit and watch the world go by, while waiting for the researcher to do their stuff. Pegu attacks and annexes Arakan and is promptly slapped silly by Ming (apart from Lan Xang and a big Champa, the Brown Tide has smothered most of SE Asia).

SE_Asia_1470.jpg

They're big, they're brown and we do not want to play with them.

Our Drillmaster gains international recognition, giving us extra prestige (why couldn't that have happened when we were on low stability?).

Discipline_1470.jpg

They may be backward, but they're sure as hell disciplined.

We guarantee Kashmir, just in case .... the Timurids choose that day to DOW. <The elephant is not impressed.>

This is not actually a major issue – the Timurids have only one level better land tech than us and actually fewer troops – or rather, it wouldn't have been a major issue if the rebels hadn't decided to blow simultaneously in Bangalore and Bihar in the first month of the war. With all my cavalry busy ping-ponging rebels, the Timurids' Shock 6 Khan has a high old time hunting down my infantry stacks along the border. Eventually the Bangalore rebels die, I recruit a new general, who is fortunately Shock 5, and am able to kill off the main Timurid army. I besiege Sind with all my infantry, Kashmir drops out with white peace, I take and annex Sind, Rajputana drops out with white peace, Bangalore rebels again, forcing me to send my main army back to deal with it (Bihar? Ping-pong, pong-ping for two freaking years before 5,000 cavalry finally killed 5,000 rebels), I kill those rebels and get turned round again, start pushing into Timurid territory (their war exhaustion is now in double digits and the rebels are starting to appear), spot the Khan of Doom at the head of another 15,000 man stack and decide to settle for white peace. <The elephant is still not impressed.>

Besides, we have finally hit Trade 7 and now have bigger fish to fry. I send my last missionary to Sind, take another slider push to Innovative and prepare to switch NIs. (Also during that war, my Land and my Production research was deemed useless <the elephant gives up on the blackboard and tries a cane instead> Jharkhand assimilated to Avadhi culture and we finally converted Mandla).

Quest for the New (Old? )World is successfully initiated. Our positive stability is a thing of the past, but we hire two Explorers, give them a cog each and send them off in opposite directions.

Exploration to the west reveals that southern Arabia is mostly the property of Yemen, with a scatter of minors to the north of them and a Persian colony on the Horn of Africa.

Arabia_1478.jpg

The West - land of minor Muslims

Exploration to the east eventually reveals Majapahit, who have been reduced to one province by Brunei. They kindly give us military access to explore the rest of Indonesia.

Indonesia_1478.jpg

The rest of Indonesia. Brunei, Aceh and Malacca (the blue bits) are all still going and (more suprisingly) all still friends.

It transpires that the unclaimed Indonesian provinces are just out of our colonial range, and Australia itself is a still too far even to explore with safety.

En route to Africa, our explorer spotted Mahe – friendly natives and within colonial range, The first Gondwanan colony is soon established.

While this was going on Madurai annexed Vijayanagar, the Timurids conquered Durrani but got into another war with Persia, our nobles protested the need for a stable government by offering to reduce our stability and no sooner had we crawled back up to +2 Stability than smugglers broke out all over.

But the explorers keep slogging away and eventually turn up the big prize:

E_Africa_1478.jpg

The big prize - Africa, land of lost elephants

Zanzibar has been taken by Swahili, who split the African East Coast with Adal and who still have several pagan provinces, lousy tech and no worthwhile allies. South again is Mutapa, still alive, still pagan, and still with a coastline. The elephant starts researching a family tree. I believe we are about to meet some cousins.

TN_african.GIF

The elephant's cousin