• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JNO_Plays

Private
4 Badges
Oct 17, 2022
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Just a quick introduction post as there is some explaining to be done here. I used to frequent these forums back in 2015. Yes, a long time ago. Back then I was telling a story of House Dayne and Edric and his link to Arya Stark from a specific part of the Song of Ice and Fire. Unfortunately I stopped telling that story, but I have found it in 2022 and wish to see where that story could have gone. Unfortunately the save file, all though I still had it, was corrupt to the point that the game world was a mess.

So I am going to try and recreate the same story, but at some point I'm sure the game will take me down a different path. I will repost everything that makes sense from my previous story, with edits where needed with changes of character and will make it clear when the story is completely new too.

Hopefully this can be as successful as my previous version of this story. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Prologue

“How long have you been Lord Beric’s squire?” she asked, to take his mind from his misery.

“He took me for his page when he espoused my aunt.” He coughed. “I was ten, but when I turned thirteen he raised me to squire. I won a prize once, riding at rings.”

“I never learned the lance, but I could beat you with a sword,” said Arya. “Have you killed anyone?”

That seemed to startle him. “A few.”

I killed a boy when I was eight, Arya almost said, but she thought she’d better not. “You’ve been in battles, though.”

“Yes.” He did not sound very proud of it. “I was at the Mummer’s Ford. When Lord Beric fell into the river, I dragged him up onto the bank so he wouldn’t drown and stood over him with my sword. Lord Beric seemed dead but that didn’t stop them trying to come over and finish the job. I had to protect him, dying or not. He deserved a proper burial. I lost count how many came over, I guess I’m just lucky they didn’t come over in a group or I’d have been overwhelmed. When we regrouped, Green Gergen helped pull his lordship back onto a horse.”

Arya was remembering the stableboy at King’s Landing. After him there’d been that guard whose throat she cut at Harrenhal, and Ser Amory’s men at that holdfast by the lake. She didn’t know if Weese and Chiswyck counted, or the ones who’d died on account of the weasel soup . . . all of a sudden, she felt very sad. “My father was called Ned too,” she said.

“I know. I saw him at the Hand’s tourney. I wanted to go up and speak with him, but I couldn’t think what to say.” Ned shivered beneath his cloak, a sodden length of pale purple. “Were you at the tourney? I saw your sister there. Ser Loras Tyrell gave her a rose.”

“She told me.” It all seemed so long ago. “Her friend Jeyne Poole fell in love with your Lord Beric.”

“He’s promised to my aunt.” Ned looked uncomfortable. “That was before, though. Before he . . .”

. . . died? she thought, as Ned’s voice trailed off into an awkward silence. Their horses’ hooves made sucking sounds as they pulled free of the mud.

“My lady?” Ned said at last. “You have a baseborn brother . . . Jon Snow?”

“He’s with the Night’s Watch on the Wall.” Maybe I should go to the Wall instead of Riverrun. Jon wouldn’t care who I killed or whether I brushed my hair . . . “Jon looks like me, even though he’s bastard-born. He used to muss my hair and call me ‘little sister.’” Arya missed Jon most of all. Just saying his name made her sad. “How do you know about Jon?”

“He is my milk brother.”

“Brother?” Arya did not understand. “But you’re from Dorne. How could you and Jon be blood?”

“Milk brothers. Not blood. My lady mother had no milk when I was little, so Wylla had to nurse me.”

Arya was lost. “Who’s Wylla?”

“Jon Snow’s mother. He never told you? She’s served us for years and years. Since before I was born.”

“Jon never knew his mother. Not even her name.” Arya gave Ned a wary look. “You know her? Truly?” Is he making mock of me? “If you lie I’ll punch your face.”

“Wylla was my wetnurse,” he repeated solemnly. “I swear it on the honor of my House.”

“You have a House?” That was stupid; he was a squire, of course he had a House. “Who are you?”

“My lady?” Ned looked embarrassed. “I’m Edric Dayne, the . . . the Lord of Starfall.”

Behind them, Gendry groaned. “Lords and ladies,” he proclaimed in a disgusted tone. Arya plucked a withered crabapple off a passing branch and whipped it at him, bouncing it off his thick bull head. “Ow,” he said. “That hurt.” He felt the skin above his eye. “What kind of lady throws crabapples at people?”

“The bad kind,” said Arya, suddenly contrite. She turned back to Ned. “I’m sorry I didn’t know who you were. My lord.”

“The fault is mine, my lady.” He was very polite and attractive in a solemn way.

Jon has a mother. Wylla, her name is Wylla. She would need to remember so she could tell him, the next time she saw him. She wondered if he would still call her “little sister.” I’m not so little anymore. He’d have to call me something else. Maybe once she got to Riverrun she could write Jon a letter and tell him what Ned Dayne had said. “There was an Arthur Dayne,” she remembered. “The one they called the Sword of the Morning.”

“My father was Ser Arthur’s elder brother. Lady Ashara was my aunt. I never knew her, though. She threw herself into the sea from atop the Palestone Sword before I was born.”

“Why would she do that?” said Arya, startled.

Ned looked wary. Maybe he was afraid that she was going to throw something at him. “Your lord father never spoke of her?” he said. “The Lady Ashara Dayne, of Starfall?”

“No. Did he know her?”

“Before Robert was king. She met your father and his brothers at Harrenhal, during the year of the false spring.”

“Oh.” Arya did not know what else to say. “Why did she jump in the sea, though?”

“Her heart was broken.”

Sansa would have sighed and shed a tear for true love, but Arya just thought it was stupid. She couldn’t say that to Ned, though, not about his own aunt. “Did someone break it?”

He hesitated. “Perhaps it’s not my place . . .”

“Tell me.”

He looked at her uncomfortably. “My aunt Allyria says Lady Ashara and your father fell in love at Harrenhal—”

“That’s not so. He loved my lady mother.”

“I’m sure he did, my lady, but—”

“She was the only one he loved.”

“He must have found that bastard under a cabbage leaf, then,” Gendry said behind them.

Arya wished she had another crabapple to bounce off his face. “My father had honor,” she said angrily. “And we weren’t talking to you anyway. Why don’t you go back to Stoney Sept and ring that girl’s stupid bells?”

Gendry ignored that. “At least your father raised his bastard, not like mine. I don’t even know my father’s name. Some smelly drunk, I’d wager, like the others my mother dragged home from the alehouse. Whenever she got mad at me, she’d say, ‘If your father was here, he’d beat you bloody.’ That’s all I know of him.” He spat. “Well, if he was here now, might be I’d beat him bloody. But he’s dead, I figure, and your father’s dead too, so what does it matter who he lay with?”

It mattered to Arya, though she could not have said why. Ned was trying to apologize for upsetting her, but she did not want to hear it. As she pressed her heels into her horse to leave them both, she felt a strong hand on her horses reign keep her in place. She turned and found her eyes locking directly with Edric’s dark blue, almost purple, eyes.

“My lady,” Edric said, an sincere tone in his voice. “I am sorry if I offended you. And I just want you to know, with everything that is going on……..should you need my help at any time, come find me. Once the Brotherhood’s job is finished, I will return to be Lord of Red Mountains and Starfall. You will be able to find me there, and I’ll do everything I can to help you.”

Last edited:
Another AGOT AAR! Followed.

I wonder if Arya will eventually get to reunite with her family. What bookmark is this?

Thanks for following History Dude, much appreciated!!

So, one of Arya's motivations will be to reunite with her family and avenge them. So it's possible it will happen.

The bookmark is Feast for Crows.

Also apologies for the very short first post, the forums won't let me post any lengthy post at the momement. Hopefully that will change soon

Edric POV

edricdayne17p1.png

“My Lord,” accompanied the heavy knocking on my door as I awoke quickly, my arm searching for my sword, an instinctive reaction from the time spent with the Brotherhood Without Banners. When I was called in my sleep, it had usually meant danger.

But as the heavy knocking on the thick wooden door echoed around my room, I remembered I was in Starfall, and at worse we were under siege. And if that was the case, my people were well prepared. My Castellan, Ser Daemon Darkholme, had done a good job as my regent whilst I had been away, working on improving the conditions the people of Starfall lived under and increasing our garrison. We could survive a siege for at least 3 months comfortably and if we rationed, much longer. And my men where we trained and hardened by the recent campaign, when Doran Martell, my liege, had called his banners to support Lord Aegon of Rain House and Queen Daenary's in their joint claim for the Iron Throne as well as many of Doran Martell's vassals uprisings against him. So the tension in my body left me as I sat up slowly, my battle hardened body stretching to wake itself up.

“Come in Marise,” I called back having recognised the voice of one of my courtiers. The door slowly opened and Marise's head peered round its edge.

“I’ll let you get dressed my lord.”

“Don’t be stupid Marise. You’ve seen me in all sorts of states of undress since I you arrived in Starfall."

“Lord Gerold Dayne has requested an audience with you regarding an urgent matter that he told me cannot wait.” Marise had rushed out the sentence which meant she believed the same to be true. And they didn’t always see eye to eye. But not many saw eye to eye with Ser Gerold Dayne. I got to my feet and went over to put on the clothes that had been set aside for me for the morning and quickly got dressed.

“Do you know what it is?” I asked Marise as I pulled the final garment on and headed towards her and the door to my chamber.

“He said he would tell only you first,” was her response as we stepped into the hallway and made our way to the throne room of Starfall.

------

Protocal dictated that I was seated before Ser Gerold Dayne entered the room with whatever news it was he had for me. The fact that this Protocal was being followed meant that the news was neither of an iminent or urgent nature. The rest of my council had not been woken, which was something I'd probably have to get used to. I'd only been back in Starfall for four years, and all though I was Lord of Red Mountains in name, in practise my Regent and My Council were there for every major event and decision until recently. Now I was a man grown, and I ruled The Red Mountains completely. Obviously the nature of this event didn't require the presence of the others, so they were not called.

Having taken my seat, the only other person in the room was Marise, who I dismissed now in case what was about to be told to me was of a sensitive nature. With Marise gone, I signalled for the guard at the door to let Ser Gerold in.

gerolddayne1p1-jpg.893014

The doors opened and Ser Gerold Dayne of High Hermitage stepped into the throne room first, making the 50 foot walk towards the throne of Starfall. The room was dimly lit by a few torches light around us, casting shadows long and short around the room. During the day this room was well lit by the Dornish Sun, but now it had an eerie quality to it. Behind Ser Gerold Dayne came four knights of Starfall, follwing Starfall's Master-At-Arms with what seemed to be a hostage in tow. The hostage was short and in torn grey and dim rags. The person's build was slight and their head was dropped down, and they were almost being carried into the room to be brought before me.

"My Lord," Ser Gerold Dayne the Lord Of High Hermitage greeted me. Most men would apologise for waking their Leige Lord but I knew that for Ser Gerold, even calling me Lord was a sign of respect. Ser Gerold was his own man, and followed his own rules. And I was mentored by him on my return to Starfall, all though many questioned that decision. But I was three and ten at that time and I had started to form my own opinions and character before. What being tutored by Ser Gerold did achieve, was making me as good with spear, bow and sword as Ser Gerold was, and just the year before this, I had been knighted myself for my prowess. Of course the stories of my heroics at the Mummer's Ford had helped my case as well as the various campaigns my men had gone through. I might not have been leading the line I had displayed my understanding of the art of war.

"Ser Gerold," I responded as I surveyed the scene and started to try and peace together what was about to be laid before me. The "hostage" seemed to be drained of all energy and of no threat to anyone. So the reason for this person being important enough for me to be awoken was intriguing.

"This smuggler, outlaw or outsider was found on the shores of Starfall by a patrol my lord. Our soliders approached to find out if she needed assistance as it seemed as if she had washed up on shore. However this bitch slit the throat of one of our men, and the second only just escaped her blade before she ran off into the night. We sent a search party out after her and managed to corner her as she approached the castle, scaling the mountains to our walls. Even out numbered she still tried to fight us off. We had to rough her up a bit just to subdue her."

I tilted my head as Ser Gerold Dayne told the story of this............girl. He had called her a bitch, meaning she must be a female, and her small frame suggested she was just a girl, maybe one or two years younger than me. I got up from my throne and stepped forward. I felt like I knew this girl.

"My Lord, I suggest you don't get to close to her," Ser Gerold warned.

"Ser Gerold," I replied. "She is a girl, that I'm presuming you've unarmed before bringing to me. With you and four of our men here, I'm sure I have no cause for concern."

I stepped up to the girl who was being held up by two of the soldiers and leaned down slightly but her messy brown hair was just covering her eyes from mine.

"What do you say to these accusations?" I asked the girl before me. This question seemed to cause her body to tense, as if my voice had awoken her mind. Her body then froze, before her neck started to slowly bring her head up, as her features came into my view despite the lights of the flames and the darkness of the shadows flickering of her face. She didn't say anything, maybe she was using all of her energy just to look up. But I did.

"Arya?"

arya1p1.jpg

Attachments

• gerolddayne1p1.jpg
    gerolddayne1p1.jpg
    105,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Arya POV

arya2p1.jpg

At first the light was painful as my eyes slowly fluttered open for the first time in what seemed like a long time. It pierced my eyes quickly and unrelentingly as I grimaced and raised my hand to my face. Then so many thoughts started to race through my mind that I felt my body start to be taken over by panic. Where was I? Was I in danger? Had the last five years been a dream.

I forced my eyes open and found my surroundings to be unfamiliar. Bright amber stonework surrounded me and I was in one of the most comfortable beds I had slept in for years. The purple satin sheets that covered me were cool against my skin despite the heat of whatever climate I was in being clear to me as well. The ocean breeze coming through the open window was the perfect opposite to that heat though as I attempted to gather my bearings. Over in the corner was a young man, asleep in a chair, an orange dim light hitting his features from what was either a sun rise or a sun set. But whilst his face was familiar to me, I didn't know who he was.

I looked around for a weapon. My daggers though were nowhere to be found. In fact my normal clothes where not anywhere to be seen and instead I was wearing some sort of nightgown. My weapons not being on hand though didn't make me weaponless. I slowly slipped out of the bed and put on a dress that I assumed was to be mine anyway and then put to practise the skills I had learnt in Braavos. Happy with my appearance, I headed for the door.

"Well I bet that comes in handy," his voice startled me as I jumped back, ready to defend myself and cursing the fact that I'd been so careless. The young man who had been sleeping in the chairs eyes were on me with an intense concentration and curiosity. He got up to his feet, and came towards me slowly. He stood about six or seven inches taller than me, with a few strands of pale blond hair almost falling over his dark blue, almost purple, eyes. My brain said to run, to scream, to escape. But for some strange reason I felt safe.

"All those years ago, when we last spoke. I never thought I'd actually see you again." He said, as I could feel my eyes squint, almost in challenge to what he was saying to me.

"Who are you, and where am I?" I demanded from him as I backed up slightly, noticing that the man had a sword in his holster, leaving me at a disadvantage.

"I'm Ned," he said, backing up slightly as if he felt my unease. "Well officially I'm High Lord Edric Dayne III of Red Mountains, but when we last met I was just Ned of the Brotherhood without Banners."

I focused on his face, the pale blond hair, the dark blue eyes, the genuine soft and caring smile. And then the realization hit me like a wave crashing on the shore. I stepped towards Edric and put my hand on his face, the emotion of actually seeing someone from my past, that I hadn't seen for so long, rushing over me. I had made it to Starfall. It had been a long shot, but apart from my brother Jon at the wall, I did not know where any of my old family was. And Jon wasn't in a position to help me deliver the gift of the Many Faced God to those that deserved it.

"I can't believe I found you." I said to Edric as he just allowed me to take in the fact that I had found someone in this world that was my ally.

"You know, it would be nice to see your face instead of whatever that is," he said to me as I turned away from him and took my own features back on. He smiled upon seeing my face.

It was six o'clock in the evening and as the sunset, we talked into the night. We talked about where I had been and what I had been through. And Edric talked about the same, and about how he planned to try to unite the Stone Dorish people under his leadership and how his Liege Doran Martell's war supporting the "supposed" Aegon Targaryen and Daenary's was successful. And then I told him why I had come to him.

"I'll be honest with you Ned," I said to him as we both sat on my bed, the hour getting late." I've come back to give the gift of death to some people that truly deserve it. I want revenge Ned, and I'll do anything to get it. I want to see them suffer. I want the Freys and the Boltons to feel my pain. And I want them to know it was me who delivered it."

Last edited:
Arya Stark POV
I am Arya of House Stark and as far as I'm aware, I am the last legitimized Stark in the known world, let alone Westoros. I was the youngest daughter of Lord Eddard Stark and Catelyn Stark. But King Joffery Baratheon took my father from me and Lord Walder Frey took my mother and my brother The Young Wolf Robb Stark. I fled Kings Landing upon the death of my father, and attempted to get back to my family only to lose all hope and head for Braavos. It was there I learnt a collection of skills I never thought I would learn. But whilst that was happening, my sister Sansa Stark fled the capital, blamed for the death of Joffery Baratheon.

Sister, if it was you who killed him....................I applaud you.

Now my sister is missing, and as for my younger brothers, they were burned alive by the traitor that used to be my father's ward, Theon Greyjoy. All I had left was my bastard-born brother Jon Snow. But he became Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, and as much as I'd love to be reunited with him, that would conflict with my goals.

To kill those who wronged my family.

Be it by poison, be it by blade, I will avenge my family.

That is why I came to Starfall, in the Stone region of Dorne. I needed to be in the game to kill those who played it. And the only ally I hoped I had left and that I was confident in, was Edric Dayne of the Red Mountains. I met him when I was with the Brotherhood Without Banners, and he offered to help me. Now I had come to see just how much he was willing to do.

-------

The first two years took some adjusting. The climate was as unrelenting as the cold in the North but instead was blistering hot. But as time moved on, my body became used to the blazing sun of my new home and the mountains and hills were beautiful to behold during any part of the day. I was treated as a honored guest but my parentage was kept secret from all but a select few. Lord Gerold "Darkstar" Dayne and Ser Daemon Darkholme were the only other two who were allowed to know my true identity.

Lord Edric Dayne took me on as his ward and I was given the identity of a Girl from Braavos that the Iron Bank of Braavos had sent for tutoring. It was flimsy but my knowledge of Braavos soon put to rest most people's doubts as to the truth to that story. It also helped that there was a pretender up north with my name. Edric tried to teach me as best he could at swordsmanship and diplomacy but he found me accomplished with the blade and uninterested in diplomacy. I hadn't come back to rule.

But our time together did bring us closer. We spent many a night discussing his plans for taking Blackmont and the Prince's Pass to begin his assent to either Lord of the Stone Dornish or Prince of Dorne.

studyingwartactics.jpg
training.jpg
studyingwartactics02.jpg

And the ambition of being part of Doran Martell's court in Sunspear as Master-at-Arms to get the soldiers on his side and politic his way into avoiding the repurcusions for his plans.

And I discussed ways we could make my revenge possible. And for it to be possible, I needed Edric to have some power in the realm. I would help him claim power and authority to he could help me in return.

I actually started to respect the man, who was different from the boy I had met years ago. He was still polite and kind, but he had become more authoriative as time went by as Lord of Red Mountains. He was proud of his history and worked hard to allow his people and lands to propser.

flagship.jpg
flagship2.jpg

And prosper they did. The Red Mountains had levies and ships ready to put Lord Edric Dayne's plans into action and his Justicar Master Lorrent of Longlake had got him claims to the High Lordship of Prince's Pass and Blackmont by the time I was 16.

But there was one thing Edric Dayne needed before he would put his plans into action or mine in fact. He needed an heir. If anything went wrong he needed someone to inherit his lands and continue the legacy of his family.

I thought it could be me, after all we were fond of each other, we spent a lot of our time together. So when I discovered that Marise was with child and that it was Edric's I was caught off guard.

childwithmarisep1.jpg

eliaisborn.jpg

Yes my father had a bastard before he even had me. But it wasn't the done thing for a lord up North. Yet down south in Dorne, the majority didn't even bat an eyelid. I had been here almost two years now and I still couldn't get used to some of their customs.

I was upset with Edric and initially I withdrew from him. But I needed him still, I needed him for my revenge. So I forgave him, not that he owed me anything. He hadn't promised me anything but his help. And truth be told I'd only promised him the same, and if need be, I could marry outside of the Red Mountains if it furthered my cause.

Attachments

• childwithmarisep1.jpg
    childwithmarisep1.jpg
    39,2 KB · Views: 0
  • studyingwartactics.jpg
    studyingwartactics.jpg
    41,7 KB · Views: 0
  • studyingwartactics02.jpg
    studyingwartactics02.jpg
    39,6 KB · Views: 0
Well, Arya is rather single-minded.

I'm interested to see what she does next!

I wonder what Dorne's opinion on this development is?

Well Arya is pretty upset at those on her list after all. What I love about this story is the fact there are two people who both want to achieve something, thinking that it can be done together but at times there will be a conflict because of that.

As for Dorne, right now they are not aware of any of this. Arya is still a girl from Braavos.