• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday 12th to Monday 14th May 1940

Even though I was still feeling low on Saturday morning, I was at work early. Having spent most of Friday following the naval battle in the Mouth of the Thames, I needed to catch up with my normal duties. I noticed the “Wasserfloh” room was still set up, but assumed that staff would clear it later in the morning.

Work – that was the way to forget yesterday’s disappointment. Military researchers at the Preußische Kriegsakedemie have been analysing the conduct of guerrilla wars to determine whether there are any lessons that can be learned and implemented in the Heer. A few decent ideas have been distilled from the literature, and we can expect not only a significant increase in the number of successful ambushes our forces can achieve, but also some savings in supply usage by our headquarters units. General von Blomberg has demanded that the next project be to improve the small arms issued to our cavalry units. He insists that if we are to set up cavalry divisions with just 2 regiments, then they must have sufficient firepower to rapidly suppress the partisans or insurgents who will be their main foe. I wonder if the general does not have a hankering for his youth, when cavalry was king and an officer and his horse were inseparable.

cavalryfinal.jpg

Our cavalry need to be a little more up to date if they are to fight in today’s world: it is 1940, after all!

Unternehmen Stierkampf, slowed by supply problems and enemy air activity, was still moving towards the capture of Madrid. Another opposed crossing of the Duero was underway, as Blaskowitz finally ordered his men out of Palencia, across the river and into Cuellar. The far bank is held by an armour unit: with no supporting infantry General de Lazama will not be able to prevent 29.Infanterie (mot) from gaining a foothold, and then our anti-tank capacity will soon put paid to the Spanish vehicles. (Though I hear issue of the new anti-tank guns is very slow – nearly all production not used in new weapons being directed to replacing lost or damaged equipment – predominately aircraft).

cuellarfinal.jpg

Battle of Cuéllar

There was one confusing group of items in the morning’s documents: fuel and supply requisition forms for the replenishment of the Nordseeflotte. Not that there was anything surprising about the forms themselves – the ships had of course just spent a day or so at sea. What confused me the origin: Amsterdam? I was sure I had been told the Nordseeflotte was to rebase at Wilhelmshaven.

Then Gisela arrived, a bit breathless and more than a bit late. I was about to reprimand her (our personal friendship did not give her any excuse for tardiness) but then she asked whether I knew of the Cabinet meeting. Before I could reply, she told me that her lateness was due to her meeting some her friends outside the building. These were secretaries and stenographers from other departments, and they told her they had been sent to an urgent Cabinet meeting but had to wait outside while work was carried out on the telephones in the Cabinet Room. Needless to say the electrical technicians who had arrived to carry out the work had been incapable of keeping a secret from a group of attractive young women, and revealed that they were to set up some sort of speaker system to allow Minister Raeder to talk, by telephone from telephone from Amsterdam, to the whole Cabinet, and for them to speak back to him. While my mind was still grappling the concept of having a meeting with the participants separated by hundreds of kilometres, she added that the work was now complete and that the meeting, attended by the Führer and the whole Cabinet, was taking place as we spoke.

neuereichskanzleireichs.jpg

The Reichskanzlei Reichskabinettsaal: where this momentous meeting is being held. At the moment it would be packed, as every Minister would have an entourage of staff, and no doubt Minister Raeder would have arranged for a sizeable Kriegsmarine representation.

Then she smiled, as if she had just given a child a Christmas present, and disappeared to her desk. I thought of calling her back to remind her of the need for punctuality, but decided it was not the moment: to be honest I was pleased that she had anticipated my interest (she seems to read my mind, sometimes I wonder what I would do without her), and I was already considering how I could find out what was happening. Try as I might, I could not think of a solution that did not run the risk of immediate arrest.

So the rest of the morning was spent on catching up on essential administrative tasks, settling personal disputes between my staff, calming angry senior clerks who insisted on priority for their document searches etc. By lunchtime I need a break, and decided on a short walk. A breath of the fresh spring air would give me the energy for the afternoon, and clear the cobwebs from my brain.

I was barely a hundred metres from the Kanzlei when I was hailed by a familiar-looking naval officer. After only a second I placed him: the senior Kriegsmarine officer I spoke to yesterday, the one with the son on the “Köln”. Of course I enquired as to his son’s well-being (though I knew the “Köln” had been very lucky), and it was with pride and relief he told me that his son was not only uninjured, but had been recommended for an award for bravery, dashing across an open deck during a strafing attack to rescue an sailor injured by machine gun from a British aircraft.

beyerichkonteradmiralfi.jpg

At the time I had no idea who my acquaintance was but I later recognised him among photographs of ranking Kriegsmarine officers: he looks very stern here, but is actually quite a friendly, jovial character (and very talkative!)

Then the officer started to talk of the events of the morning’s meeting. It was obvious he thought I had been present (I imagine the room would have been very crowded), or was senior enough to know what took place, and for a moment I thought of correcting him. Then I realised it would be rude to interrupt a senior officer, so I just stood a listened as he gave me his opinion of the discussion. By then of course it was too late, and I would have embarrassed him had I pointed out he had breached security, so I just asked a few polite questions.

1nffrisiancostmidnight1.jpg

One reason for the meeting: Großadmiral Raeder’s unauthorised rebase of the Nordseeflotte to Amsterdam. The weather is overcast, but no rain at the moment.

The Cabinet meeting had been requested by Minister Raeder, in part to explain his contravention of orders in taking his fleet west to Amsterdam, rather than berthing at Wilhelmshaven. It had been a crowded Cabinet room when the Führer arrived, with the ministers, their advisers and hangers-on, and a large number of Kriegsmarine officers. After the formalities, Raeder had spoken. According to my informant, it was a rousing performance, despite coming from a temporary loudspeaker set up on the table. The Großadmiral started by praising the leaders and crew of 1st Schlachtflotte, drawing attention to the skill required to get nearly every ship safely to port, despite being under ferocious air and sea attack.

Then he moved to the present. He pointed out that the Kriegsmarine had been assigned a task, and a critical one. He insisted that the Kriegsmarine be allowed to complete that task. While he led our naval forces, he would not have it said that he or his men had shirked any mission, no matter how dangerous. The Nordseeflotte, under his direct order, had advanced to Amsterdam to be ready to leave for Lorient immediately. In short, he wanted Cabinet authority to amend Fall Wasserfloh and to allow him to take the Nordseeflotte through the Channel to the Bay of Biscay. At the conclusion of his detailed reasoning as to why he was confident of success, he made his final point: he believed that the honour of the Kriegsmarine was at stake, and should it not be allowed to defend its honour, he would have no choice but to resign his commission. Should he do so, he asked that, after settling family matters, he be allowed to join a front line infantry unit, so that he could end his career in combat, as befitted an officer of the Wehrmacht.

As you can imagine, the Cabinet room was quiet at the end of his impassioned speech, everyone impressed at the sincerity and intensity of his emotional outburst. Then the arguing started.

Leading the opposition were Minsters Hess and von Ribbentrop. Hess spoke at length about the cost of building the Kriegsmarine, and the insanity of throwing away years of production on a gamble. Von Ribbentrop, while agreeing about the potential cost, also spoke about the damage that another naval defeat could do to our international prestige, particularly if the “Bismark”, the Pride of the Fleet, were to be lost. My own Minister, Frick, joined with them, albeit reluctantly. While he appreciated the bravery of the Großadmiral, he could not support such a rash action, so soon after the Royal Navy had demonstrated its power.

My informant told me that the position of these three ministers was no surprise to the Kriegsmarine. It was apparent listening to his analysis that the KM had studied the member of the Cabinet quite intently. Given the role that the Party plays in Wehrmacht affairs, I suppose it is inevitable, but I am of the old school, where soldiers left politics to the politicians. But it is a changing world, where a General or an Admiral must get political approval before doing anything out of the ordinary – or risk summary arrest.

What did interest the KM officer present was that Minister Goebbels did not venture an opinion. Although my new friend had no great opinion of Goebbels, and admitted that Goebbels was not great supporter of either the Kriegsmarine or Minister Raeder, nobody questions his political antenna. Goebbels always wants to be on the winning side, and his silence spoke volumes.

To everyone’s amazement it was Reichsmarschall Göring who leapt to the defence of the Großadmiral. He praised the daring and devotion to duty that would lead Rader to volunteer his life’s work, the Kreigsmarine, to risk all for victory. In hindsight though, perhaps it could have been predicted. Göring would be the immediate beneficiary of Raeder’s success, as his precious Luftwaffe would face a reduced threat in Spain. And it is not often remembered that despite the grand uniforms and gross appetites, at heart Göring is a fighter pilot, prepared to risk all on split second decision.

Von Blomberg was of course on Raeder’s side. Old school himself, he sees duty as the sole driver, and risk a necessary component of every decision. And he hates Hess, my talkative friend confided. I didn’t think that Minister Schacht would have an opinion on a military matter such as this, but apparently he was emphatic in his support. He rationalised that we had invested in equipment and training for the KM, and that this was a “sunk cost”. (He meant it in the accounting sense, but I am sure every naval officer in the room twitched when he said it). If we do not use it, it is wasted. If we lose it, it has not cost us any extra, but if the plan succeeds we will be able to save in costs on repairs and replacements for the Luftwaffe.

The Chief of Staff, Fritz Bayerlein, as expected, had nothing to say. The decision would not impact logistics, so he had little interest. He has a very narrow focus on the world, but as everyone relies on his mastery of the transportation assets of the Reich, nobody cares.

So there were three for, and three against. Raeder, as the interested party, was of course not counted. At this moment, Goebbels, always the master politician, asked the Führer what he thought. There was silence, and then the Führer simply said: “Our hopes go with you and your men on this endeavour, Flottenchef Raeder”. And that was it. Goebbels went into a speech about the immense benefits that success would bring to national morale, but nobody was listening: Fall Wasserfloh was back on track.

Unfortunately our aircraft, submarines and radar sites showed the Channel full of British ships, so an attempt this evening was not possible. But Großadmiral Raeder, now backed by the Führer, has complete freedom as to timing and method of the Channel dash, so the extra time has been used to top up fuel and ammunition in the fleet. The right moment will arrive and then we will know if our luck has returned.

1channel2pm125final.jpg

The English Channel at 2PM on 12th May: with two Royal Navy fleets in the Western Channel, one of which was heading east to join a carrier fleet already there, Großadmiral Raeder had no choice but to remain in Amsterdam.

I was hoping to get even more details about the revitalised Fall Wasserfloh, but suddenly my source pulled a naval fob-watch from his coat, checked the time and, apologising that he had an important meeting and was late, sprinted off down the Wilhelmstraße. I walked back to the office slowly, aware that Raeder was gambling not just his life, but the future of the Kriegsmarine. Another failure would mean his hopes of a second generation of warships would sink with his current fleet.

Of course this decision meant that we continued to contest the Channel, and Fisser’s unit was suffering badly against the combined forces of four carriers. This was not the time to be conservative, and Klepke’s 1st Jagdfliegerkorps has been sent to Cherbourg, ready to join the anticipated air combats. It wasn’t long before it was in action, coming to the assistance of the beleaguered 7th Jagdfliegerkorps.

1airwechann8pm125final.jpg

Air Battle of the Western English Channel: 8PM 12th May

With the next day a Sunday, I didn’t go into work in the morning, despite the pending departure of the Nordseeflotte. I reasoned that Raeder that would want to use the darkness as much as possible, and that if there was any action it would be in the evening. I had checked the weather forecasts before leaving Saturday, and it predicted overcast conditions and rain showers for the Channel. So about 5PM I set off for the Reichskanzlei.

1nfamsterdammidnight135.jpg

The Nordseeflotte at midnight on 12th May: still sitting in Amsterdam, waiting for the word from the Flottenchef. The weather was improving, in that it was raining and the cloud cover was increasing. Perhaps by dusk conditions will allow an attempt to break the Royal Navy cordon.

There was a surprising number of people around for a Sunday evening, and several gave me a curious glance. I just headed to my office: I had plenty to do if anyone was curious about my presence. A new infantry division has been formed, another of the “coastal” units. Perhaps as a sign that we needed troops in the east, it has been assigned to a new Armeekorps, the XIV, attached to the Polen Army. General Pfeiffer has the command of the new division, and a relation of the Minister for the Army, von Blomberg, has the new Armeekorps.

More air battles were fought over the Channel, and 7th Jagdfliegerkorps has been recalled to Hannover to recover. 1st Jagdfliegerkorps is battling hard, but has already lost 18 fighters, and it was not at full strength when it moved to Cherbourg.

At 9PM I was about to leave when I detected a change in the background noise: voices a little higher-pitched, footsteps a little faster. A quick stroll down the corridor, a flash of my pass to the security guard, and I was in the “Wasserfloh” room. From the intensity with which everyone was grouped around the map there was no doubt: the Nordseeflotte was making its run! Led by the nation’s pride, the battleship “Bismark”, the fleet was leaving Amsterdam. One by one, miniature ships were placed on the map by the orderlies. The battlecruiser “Scharnhorst”, the heavy cruisers “Deutschland” and “Admiral Scheer”, the light cruisers “Königsberg”, “Emden” and “Stuttgart”, and the tiny models of the 5th and 7th Zerstöreregeschwader. As I looked at the little destroyers, so fragile compared to the capital ships, I thought of my friend Korvettenkapitän Karl Behrens, taking his destroyer out to challenge the largest navy in the world. It would be a tense night.

modelsfinalend.jpg

On the map in the “Wasserfloh” room, models of the “Bismark”, “Scharnhorst”, “Admiral Scheer” and “Konigsberg” are surrounded by their destroyer screen as the mission begins

At 11PM, another air battle took place over the Western English Channel. I don’t know if was an attempt to clear enemy aircraft or to attract them away from the east, where the Nordseeflotte would soon enter. Even in the dark there were casualties: another four Messerschmitts lost. It would be some time before any action occurred, and I remembered I still had the little truckle bed in my office.

1nfcofhmidnight145final.jpg

Midnight on the 14th – Nordseeflotte enters the Nordsee at the start of the dangerous Channel dash. Luck is with us so far, with rain intensifying.

I slept until about 6AM, and when I awoke there didn’t seem to be any unusual activity. So I hadn’t missed anything. A quick check of the night’s activities showed that the Nordseeflotte had pushed well into the Channel during the night, with no sign of any undue interest by the British. Maybe they thought they had seen off the Kreigsmarine: if so they were very wrong. I thing I did notice in my brief visit to the “Wasserfloh” room was that the little aircraft representing 1st and 2nd Seefliegerkorps had been moved to the Western English Channel, presumably to distract the Royal Navy. If so, it was very successful, as back in my office I saw reports of several air battles in that area, involving not only our Dornier 217s, but also the Messerschmitts of 1st Jagdfliegerkorps. It was impossible to keep track of the RAF and RN aircraft: units were coming from everywhere. The ploy was working, as not a single aircraft appeared over the Eastern English Channel, where our ships were proceeding at full speed.

do217.jpg

A Dornier 217 waits to be loaded with bombs before heading off again to the Channel. The past few days have seen our supply of torpedoes at Nantes nearly exhausted, and it taking some time for supply to be rearranged for the naval bombers. Although blurry, it is possible to make out the additional machine-gun mounted on the aft portion of the flight deck.

The rest of the war seemed on hold: an infantry brigade was assigned to 2nd Gebirgsjägerkorps HQ (the mountain units tend to advance into danger and often operate without support) and some activity took place in Spain, but Berlin concentrated on the Channel.

1bombwechann9am145final.jpg

The Channel at 9AM on 14th May: our aircraft scour the sea in front of the fleet.

At lunchtime I returned to the “Wasserfloh” room, just in time for the critical moment. Nordseeflotte had entered the Western English Channel, in broad daylight and with British aircraft operating in the area. The Luftwaffe sprang into action. Our planes sought out the RAF and carrier groups, hoping to keep them away from our ships. They achieved success, but 1st Jagdfliegerkorps was reduced to 153 fighters, and 1st Seefliegerkorps to a mere 145 bombers.

By 5PM the tension, though still high, was starting to decrease. The fleet was now in the Channel Approaches and when Waber called from Paris to announce his fighters had sighted a Royal Navy fleet in the Western English Channel, steaming west as fast as it could go, there was a collective sigh of relief: the British had missed their chance.

1airwecahnn5pm145final.jpg

Western English Channel at 4PM 14th May: Waber’s 6th Jagdfliegerkorps reports Royal Navy ships trying to catch up with our fleet

I stayed until about 10PM, and by then there was no doubt. The Royal Navy had given up the chase, and Admiral Harris had taken his fleet into Plymouth. Fall Wasserfloh is over, and despite the near disaster on Friday, the flea has jumped to the Bay of Biscay.

1nflorientmidnight155fi.jpg

Safe at last: midnight on 14th and the fleet is in Lorient harbour.

Now perhaps we can finish with the Spanish. And our troops in Yugoslavia are nearly ready.

Bombing Summary

FARE

Rodellar: Bayo Giraud with 1er Grupo de Bombardeo and Grupo Táctico No.1 FARE (2 x TAC): 22, 56, 99
Palencia: Bayo Giraud with 1er Grupo de Bombardeo and Grupo Táctico No.1 FARE (2 x TAC): 61, 136, 118, 36, 131

RAF (RN)

Palencia: Peirse with 3rd CAG, 14th RAF Fighter Group, No 15 RN Coastal Command: 78

Combined FARE/RAF (RN)

Palencia: Bayo Giraud with 1er Grupo de Bombardeo, Grupo Táctico No.1 FARE, 3rd CAG, 14th RAF Fighter Group: 84

Luftwaffe

La Pobla de Segur: Sperrle with 1st Kampffliegerkorps (1 x Bf 109E, 2 x Ju 88): 252, 64, 216

Unterseebootsflotte Activity Report

Horseshoe Seamount: 1 transport (UK): Dover – Dubai: Wolf with 4th U-flotte
Western Charcot Seamount: 1 transport (UK): Dover – Lefkosia: Fricke with 3rd U-flotte
Cape Peñas: 1 transport (UK): Plymouth – South Georgia: Dönitz with 2nd U-flotte
Eastern Madeira Plain: 1 transport (UK): Dover – Tel Aviv-Yafo: Wolf with 4th U-flotte
Coast of Cádiz: 1 transport, 1 escort (UK): Bombay – Dover: Fricke with 3rd U-flotte
Western Biscay Plain: 2 escorts (UK): Singapore – Dover: Fricke with 3rd U-flotte
Setubal Way: 1 transport (UK): Dover – The Maldives: Aßmann with 1st U-flotte

Last edited:
Exciting! Too bad you could not do a reverse 'Cerberus', but ah well. At least the boys of the KM had a chance to come out and play.

Is the Fuhrer now thinking about expanding the surface fleet to better combat the RN or is he pissed that things didnt work out as planned? Perhaps next time you should send along the Bismarck as well.

Well, Raeder has increased his bargaining power: but the real job is to clear the Bay of Biscay

Actually, I've read everything. I just don't post often. And yeah; I did nto remember seeing Graf in the production list.

Good luck!

Sorry - wasn't having a go at you: I just realise that not everyone has the time to read 150 updates!

No, no, no, hell no. CVs take way too much time, especially when you are still preparing for Barbarossa. You can start the CV once Barbarossa is well underway but not before that. You need every bit of IC to churn out boots and planes, may be subs, but certainly not capital ships which you will hardly use anyway in the forseeable future.

A CV has the lowest priority: but when all the infrastructure starts to be completed I may have some excess.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of CVs either, when playing as Germany.

I think that when the weather is bad (CAGs grounded) and with a strong NAV force, a battlegroup such as yours is quite a match for a CVBG. But it assumes you have air superiority over the Channel.

My advice (for what it's worth): build interceptors and grind the RAF to dust. The NAVs and direct firefights in dire weather will take care of the carriers.

I realise that I should build just interceptors (and research related techs) but Admiral Raeder has a lot of influence and I like naval battles!

This is excellent! Taking the fight to the British Isles!

Strictly speaking it is the British bringing the fight to me. But we can take it.

Another great update. Your description of the planning and conduct of this abortive operation was excellent. Your losses were light but the Kriegsmarine will be feeling like third class citizens, not able to influence the course of the war anything like their brothers in the Army and Air Force.

I have a bias towards the Army but I tend to take the view that it is the German Army that will decide the success of everything up to and including the defeat of the Soviet Union. Force production and technological development must prioritise the Army. The Air Force is a necessary force multiplier (and defence against the UK) and must also be built and supported to achieve its role. The Navy is a distant third. I don't invest in BB and CV until my Land/Air Force is completed and Barbarossa is launched. After that, supplies are priority but I will be trying to prepare my Navy for is wider global role.

The war in Russia and consolidation of a victory will take several years. There is plenty of time to build the Kriegsmarine its toys when the security of the Reich is not at risk.

The KM will not accept demotion: it demands respect! But it will have to wait at least another 6 months for any new assets.

Well, you had the advantage of reading Adam Tooze! Or, less sarcastically wrt Tooze, it would be difficult to imagine the Kriegsmarine allowing the majority of it's industrial output and material to be confiscated from it's previous allotments.

Given Uriah is in mid-1940, without the Norwegian losses, it would have been smart game decision, but unlikely to have been made previously.

However, if he suddenly comes across some orders passing through his office in the next few weeks to suspend current work and arrange the reallocation of industrial output and resources across the reich away from the KM based off the poor performance of the surface combatants in the battle just witnessed....

The KM is ahead of you - masters of intrigue, they will not surrender to the Heer and the Luftwaffe

Ohh, I almost forgot, this AAR is still fantastic! Belated congratulations on the well deserved award.

Thansk Blackfriar: and I still find getting awards a bit odd, seeing the standard of some of the other AARs

Hi Uriah, longtime lurker first time poster here!

I just wanted to thank you for an entertaining AAR, I've read it very avidly and it's very captivating. I'm a student of German culture and history (Germanistik) and so this thread truly is of interest to me. I hope everythind ends relatively happily for our friend the clerk.

Thanks Monzach - but you have got me worried : I make up a lot of this you know. For example, I have assumed a 6 day week was normal for a clerk in 1940 - but I haven't been able to find out if that is true.

What a fantastic update, Uriah. I was absolutely gripped! I can only agree with the other posters, and compliment you on your writing and choice of illustrations.

In relation to the game, it is interesting to see the KM in action, albeit unsuccessful in achieving its mission. I doubt that additional resources could be deployed swiftly enough to improve the fleet's effectiveness and help out in Spain in the near future. I guess that the Luftwaffe should receive any such allocation to enable it to stay in the fight both over Spain and over the channel - at least fighters are quicker to build than battlecruisers!

Very much looking forward to the next thrilling installment... !

AHAH!!! The KM proves you wrong! But you are right - the Luftwaffe will get priority for now.

I will not stand idly and let this madness continue. :p

Kriegsmarine needs aircraft carriers! How else are we going to stop Royal Navy and Arctic convoys passing to Russia? The war may go on for years without KM getting any support. Throw stones at convoys?? I say Germany will have enough IC to spare after taking Romania and Spain. I will not let my(yours actually) precious navy to ruin ;D

Yeah. Good update. And KM NEEDS those carriers! I too much like these naval battles and come to think of it after reading comments, am I the only guy who builds 2 BB, 2 CV, 2 BC and 6 CA by the year 1939 s Germany? Not counting light cruisers and destroyers.

Last edited:
Uriah, I have finally finished reading the posts and have caught up. I think you have done a great job here and deserved the award. This is my first post on this AAR and just wanted to let you know that you have another fan.

Some old side stuff. I also loved playing "The Longest Day" and still have it. Nice to know it might be worth a few dollars. Thing was the game took about as long to play as the actual fight did in 1944. :)

I noticed that the battle popup windows and battle result windows changed appearance dramatically during the May 8th - 10th 1940 posting. You did not mention if you changed mods once again so I'm wondering what mod impacted these. I really like how they look and want to download it.

Last edited:
Not a single shot fired at the fleet, that's really a 100% successful dash. Wish the first fleet had been that lucky. We can only wish Admiral Raeder good hunting.

So, with Raeder in the Bay of Biscaya, we hopefully will see a decrease in RN activity near the Iberian Peninsula, which in turn should allow the army and air force to proceed with less interference.

You mentioned that the building up in Yogoslavia was alsmost finished, but I somehow do not recall a codename for that theatre yet. ;)

Uriah - If you want some help with German life in the 1940s, you can PM me and I'll try to fill you in. You've been pretty much spot on so far, and the thing you mention about the 6 day workweek is accurate. A worker in a vital position like our clerk here would have worked 5.5 days a week, Saturday being a halfday, except in really important situations where even Saturday would have been a full workday. Seeing the position that our clerk holds in the Reichskanzlei makes me pretty certain that he could use some influence to get out of extended workdays, though. (He would most likely be a Party member of low rank, so he could basically just do what he likes, within bounds of reason.)

And I wish to add my hearty congratulations to Grossadmiral Raeder for that smooth victory. :)

Guy from Guiness commercial: "'Distract the Brits with diversionary air missions so that the fleet can pass through unchallenged'?? Brilliant!"

Just wanted to add my $0.02: fantastic AAR, both for entertainment and for showing how HOI3 is actually played.

Thee Hurrahs for Admiral Raeder ! He did it ! :cool:

Karaiskandar: I am getting concerned: do you sit waiting for an update so you can be first?:rofl:

I will not stand idly and let this madness continue. :p

Kriegsmarine needs aircraft carriers! How else are we going to stop Royal Navy and Arctic convoys passing to Russia? The war may go on for years without KM getting any support. Throw stones at convoys?? I say Germany will have enough IC to spare after taking Romania and Spain. I will not let my(yours actually) precious navy to ruin ;D

Yeah. Good update. And KM NEEDS those carriers! I too much like these naval battles and come to think of it after reading comments, am I the only guy who builds 2 BB, 2 CV, 2 BC and 6 CA by the year 1939 s Germany? Not counting light cruisers and destroyers.

I think you will see that Rader's success allows the KM to grow, but maybe not at the speed you would like:). Pretty sure he will get a replacement Zerstorergeschwader and another carrier late this year. I am researching light cruiser and will try to sneak in a few more techs (but U-boats will get preference).

Actually I like to have 2BB, 2BC and 6 HC (counting "Schleswig-Holstein" and "Schlesien" as HC) by 1939, and I usually have 1 ACC. But I have found that with HOI3 I need a few more infantry in 1939 to prevent the French rampaging across Germany while I am in Poland.

Where is the inglorious Royal Navy?
Scared, huh? :p

As an ex-Lord of the Admiralty, Mr Churchill will not be happy.

What a wonderfully suspenseful dash to the sea! Your narrative of naval engagements and operations is always top notch, in spite of your your modest protestations, you are one of the best AAR authors here.

Thanks Starko - I try hard and am glad if it comes off successfully. But I always worry that what sounds exciting to me might come across as either boring or (gulp) pretentious. (In the words of MissPiggy "Prententious? Moi?")

Uriah, I have finally finished reading the posts and have caught up. I think you have done a great job here and deserved the award. This is my first post on this AAR and just wanted to let you know that you have another fan.

Some old side stuff. I also loved playing "The Longest Day" and still have it. Nice to know it might be worth a few dollars. Thing was the game took about as long to play as the actual fight did in 1944. :)

I noticed that the battle popup windows and battle result windows changed appearance dramatically during the May 8th - 10th 1940 posting. You did not mention if you changed mods once again so I'm wondering what mod impacted these. I really like how they look and want to download it.

Thanks jju_57: glad to know that 1) you like it and 2) you like it enough to read it all!

My biggest problem with "The Longest Day" was the first turn: if it went too well for either side we used to start again: our experience was it was too hard to come back from eiher a disastrous or overly successful D-Day landing. But for an old game it has some interesting concepts and was one of the first I played with supply.

The changes in the pop-ups etc all came with Modestus's mod "Retextured Map". The terrain etc can be run by itself, or you can replace the boxes etc as a mod.

Link is here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10118644&postcount=1

Not a single shot fired at the fleet, that's really a 100% successful dash. Wish the first fleet had been that lucky. We can only wish Admiral Raeder good hunting.

So, with Raeder in the Bay of Biscaya, we hopefully will see a decrease in RN activity near the Iberian Peninsula, which in turn should allow the army and air force to proceed with less interference.

You mentioned that the building up in Yogoslavia was alsmost finished, but I somehow do not recall a codename for that theatre yet. ;)

I may have been a bit overenthusiastic: he still has to drive off the carrier fleets, and my subs have seen at least three in the B of B.

I am impressed by your attention to detail: no, I haven't yet assigned a name to the theft of the Romanian oil: took me long enough to come up with "Wasserfloh"! Next update it will have a title.

But I am now only two days ahead: need to play a while as I like to have about a week up my sleeve. Any more and I stary to forget the detail to flesh out my notes: any less and I don't know what is importenat (leads to future events) and what can be ignored.

Uriah - If you want some help with German life in the 1940s, you can PM me and I'll try to fill you in. You've been pretty much spot on so far, and the thing you mention about the 6 day workweek is accurate. A worker in a vital position like our clerk here would have worked 5.5 days a week, Saturday being a halfday, except in really important situations where even Saturday would have been a full workday. Seeing the position that our clerk holds in the Reichskanzlei makes me pretty certain that he could use some influence to get out of extended workdays, though. (He would most likely be a Party member of low rank, so he could basically just do what he likes, within bounds of reason.)

And I wish to add my hearty congratulations to Grossadmiral Raeder for that smooth victory. :)

Thanks Monzach - that was pretty much what I thought (I was basing it on the British standard). Feel free to let me know if I make any errors or anachronisms - I try but they may creep in. It is hard to constantly place yourself in 1940, in a different country and society and speaking a foreign language.

Great Naval Victory! I hope for a Graf Zepplin now!
Were the ships on the map from Axis and Allies Minatures?

Graf Zeppelin will be finished in March 1941 (from memory). And yes, they are A&A: I have hundreds of the ships and land units. (A weakness of mine - collecting everthing).

Ah the boys of the KM dont give up that easily. What a show, now for some more naval action.

Like your little ship models. I have a Tirpitz model back home. So cool!

The KM will never lie down!! (And lose all their funding?)

Seea bove re miniatures: grabbed the chance to set up my little toys!

Guy from Guiness commercial: "'Distract the Brits with diversionary air missions so that the fleet can pass through unchallenged'?? Brilliant!"

Just wanted to add my $0.02: fantastic AAR, both for entertainment and for showing how HOI3 is actually played.

I can see him saying it - but I don't see it as being commercially successful.

Thanks VeteranLurker: one of my major aims is to show how much is going on in HOI3. I keep reading people complaining about it being too slow, and wonder how you can appreciate the detail at top speed. I love playing slowly and trying to anticiapte what the AI will do next. Of course sometimes the AI is insane or on drugs, but usually it is pretty good - well, good enough to cause me problems.

Wow. The KM's rapid response has fooled both me and the Royal Navy it seems;). Brilliant move, and lets hope it pays the dividends you expect. Nice work, Uriah!

Thanks Palmyrene: after the first fleet debacle I had to think what to do next. The obvious solution also fitted what I thought the KM would want to do. (Or maybe I am just rationalising: I wanted an exciting and novel follow on).

We will all see how it goes: as I said I am only 2 days ahead and am still waiting for supply to get to Lorient. (It has no fuel).

I'm not surprised that the Kriegsmarine would not want to be pushed into the background and there would be significant propaganda value from this channel dash. The war value is yet to be realised. Can this fleet engage and destroy British naval forces in the Bay of Biscay without losing significant strength? If you succeed, it will be a masterful strategy but it is not without risk.

Kriegsmarine needs aircraft carriers! How else are we going to stop Royal Navy and Arctic convoys passing to Russia?

Submarines. In groups of 2 or 3 they work very well in SF 2.03, I had a nice surprise.

And NAVs on Convoy Raiding missions, once you have air superiority. And Port Strike once in a while, to grind the Royal Navy down.

It's all a matter of doctrines: Strategic Warfare vs Decisive Battle ! :)

I'm not surprised that the Kriegsmarine would not want to be pushed into the background and there would be significant propaganda value from this channel dash. The war value is yet to be realised. Can this fleet engage and destroy British naval forces in the Bay of Biscay without losing significant strength? If you succeed, it will be a masterful strategy but it is not without risk.

As somebody else put it: The fleet has been paid for, so they might damn well make use of it.

I know i come a little late to the party but Huzzah! to the Kreigsmarine! How can an update without a battle still be so suspensful and exciting?! (must be good writting)

Now that there is a fleet in possition to contest the B of B, comes the real hard part. Even the pride of the fleet may find it hard going against the British CVs. NAVs will be extreemly vital in the coming battles (i wont stop pushing Nav bombers, i am addicted to them as THE equalizer vs Brittish naval supremacy.:D)

And while our narrator may tease about the oldfashionedness of Cavalry, we all know their ultimate usefullness in coming campaigns.

Karaiskandar: I am getting concerned: do you sit waiting for an update so you can be first?:rofl:

:D I swear it's just a coincidence...or the fact that I spend far too much time on the net. :D