• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
These Hungarians and italians divisions can be updated by your industry like happened in HoI2?

Thankyou Lord Fearless (why didn't I give myself a title? Lord Uriah?). More updates! More updates! Bring back the lash! :eek:

I would do more but my wife and children keep insisting I speak to them and that I partake in family activities. Their selfishness deprives you of more updates unfortunately.:rolleyes:

No need for me to turn violent. I might overstep my bounds and endanger this entire aar. Although I have no experience with children that keep insisting I speak to them, I am familiar with female counterparts that cry for attention. I completely understand your position, and wish you strength XD

On a more serious note, another excellent update. I hope the "hostile take-over" of the expeditionary forces turn out to be a good thing. I can see why you have made that choice, however (although it might have conflicted with your self-imposed rules) I would have preferred to take military control. It would give me the chace to use all their forces for the good of the alliance, not just a part. The downside to this would be that You'll have to fight all of their theatres as well.

I knew I remembered that name from somewhere. :D
What's the deal with the 'hostile' takeover of those divisions? Is this something that is possible within game-mechanics (i.e. modded the Hungarians and Italians to lend you expeditionary divisions) or are those units German now?

These Hungarians and italians divisions can be updated by your industry like happened in HoI2?

I don't think they get upgraded - I haven't noticed anything in the few days since I took them.

Does anyone know for sure?

(I checked my "Updates" roll-over and it still shows the same number of units to be upgraded as before the Exp. Forces were taken).

No need for me to turn violent. I might overstep my bounds and endanger this entire aar. Although I have no experience with children that keep insisting I speak to them, I am familiar with female counterparts that cry for attention. I completely understand your position, and wish you strength XD

On a more serious note, another excellent update. I hope the "hostile take-over" of the expeditionary forces turn out to be a good thing. I can see why you have made that choice, however (although it might have conflicted with your self-imposed rules) I would have preferred to take military control. It would give me the chace to use all their forces for the good of the alliance, not just a part. The downside to this would be that You'll have to fight all of their theatres as well.

Just to be clear, it is not the children who demand attention - they are teenage girls and therefore see fathers as a fixture in the firmanent and primary source of income. It is "she who must be obeyed" who sets down what is acceptable behaviour.

Having played a lot of HOI2 with total control, I am quite happy to just have two armies. Although enjopyable at first, I always found running the entire Axis a bit trying.

Well, Orsha was a important provinces for HoI2, the gate to Moscow, behind Smolensk, and between Dvina and Dniepr.

I know there was heavy fighting in the area in 1941 (Smolensk pocket), but I was just surprised it merited a pop-up.

I knew I remembered that name from somewhere. :D
What's the deal with the 'hostile' takeover of those divisions? Is this something that is possible within game-mechanics (i.e. modded the Hungarians and Italians to lend you expeditionary divisions) or are those units German now?

It is within the game mechanics. You will notice (if they ever mount an attack) that the units retain their nationality flag on the counters. As I mentioned, they don't seem to be upgraded as are my troops. The HOI3 Army Organiser just allows you to exercise the "Exp. Force" acquisition without be asked.

Expeditionary forces will upgrade to the tech levels of the donor country. I think they need manpower replacements from the donor country but receive supplies from the receiving country. In general, expeditionary forces donated to Germany will remain second class units not really capable of maintaining their position in the main battle front. This aspect is just like real life ie. the capability of the Romanian and Italian armies guarding the 6th Army's flank at Stalingrad was limited. Uriah, while I advocated taking them over and trying to get some value out of them, please avoid repeating history.

The ICE mod includes the creation of specific expeditionary forces, such as the Italian forces in Russia, the African Korps and the German Training Mission in Romania (I think it does a bunch for the UK too). Some would argue that the mod's creation of these forces is a donation of "free" units but it seems the game does not have mechanics for a more realistic system (perhaps FTM?).

Using the HOI3 Army Organiser allows you to donate or return expeditionary forces to and from any country. It is a more efficient way to return expeditionary forces, than the in-game mechanic. You can't adjust what is in a division but you can put any existing division in any existing HQ (to the limit of 5) and it is just dragging and dropping. All leaders can also be changed and it covers air and sea, as well as land.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Wednesday 23rd to Monday 28th July 1941 (Part II)

If I had thought the Luftwaffe active for the past few days, today showed me what they were capable of doing. 21 separate bombing missions in six different provinces involving six different Fliegerkorps! And all with incredible efficiency. The VVS seemed almost powerless to resist the waves of bombers that pulverised the Red Army. A feeble attempt to prevent Wever’s attacks on Chiborov’s troops in Vilaka was met by Klepke and did not get within kilometres of our bombers.

26airvilakafinal.jpg

Air Battle of Vilaka

Saturday morning started well with three victories overnight. Aloja, Dorogobuz and Asipovichy are ours and in all of them we inflicted more casualties than we suffered! A wonderful start to the day. The only confusion was in the daily newspapers, which headlined the fall of Smolensk. We are still a long way from that key city, so I don’t know how that happened. Strangely, the newspaper accounts give the same casualty figures as those for the battle of Dorogobuz.

26winsmolenskfinal.jpg

Victory in Smolensk – did Goebbels’ publicity machine jump the gun?

With the Luftwaffe already operating out of Vitsyebska and eagerly awaiting clearance from the ground crews to start basing aircraft at the bomb-damaged airfields of Dorogobuz, Polen Army Sud is making sure that the Russians cannot retake the area. General von Hubicki has been given 22.000 men to clear Horki and has made it clear that not one Russian soldier will remain. Dalmatov’s men have nowhere to hide in the open agricultural region and our tanks are having a field day.

26horkifinal.jpg

Battle of Horki

omirfinal.jpg

The flat fields of Horki allow our MG teams clear lines of fire

The “Falkenberg” division is marching faster than the tanks of 2nd schwere Panzer can drive, and so it was the first unit to discover a Soviet infantry division moving back into Röngu. Von Küchler has shown many times that he is not the sort of commander who waits for reinforcements. As soon as he had word that enemy troops were blocking his way forward he put 4.ID on a combat footing and took direct control. By lunchtime it was all over and the Falkenbergers were back in column, heading northeast.

26rongufinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Röngu

The closing of the Pripyat pocket came a little closer during the afternoon as Hartmann was sent by Rommel into Bykhaw. Resistance was very weak, as if the Russians have decided that it is not worth losing more men to defend the marshes. In all likelihood that was a valid decision as the few divisions that now remain in the pocket are probably too weak to move out under their own steam. (Before midnight 19.ID reported that 317 Strelkovaya had retreated, after only minor casualties on either side).

26bykhawfinal.jpg

Battle of Bykhaw

In the north another pocket is being closed, a lot more effectively. 11.ID has met four divisions in Pytalovo, but von Wietersheim is not the least worried. 111 and 228 and 55 Kurskaya Strelkovaya are the same three divisions that broke and ran from Karvasa without firing a shot. The only real opposition will come from 12 Strelkovaya and it cannot hope to stop von Wietershiem’s attack.

26pytalovofinal.jpg

Battle of Pytalovo

Sunday was a relatively subdued day from the Luftwaffe: just 13 bombing missions. There were some unwelcome signs of life from the VVS. An attempt by Skripko to bomb General Jodl’s men in Pyriatin was easily beaten off by Christiansen and 4th Jagdfliegerkorps but not so lucky were Fröhlich’s Ju 89s. At least 15 were destroyed by Falaleev’s fighters as they rebased from Vitsyebsk to Dorogobuz. Far more damage was done to Löhr’s Henschels over Velikie Luki but the dive-bombers shrugged off the losses (estimated to be perhaps 40 aircraft) and completed four missions during the day.

27airdorogobuzfinal.jpg

Air Battle of Dorogobuz

ju89final.jpg

After the raid on Dorogobuz, ground crews were busy patching up damage to the heavy bombers

General Jodl would have been extremely grateful that he was spared a visit by Skripko’s Ar-2s: his divisions was packed together to launch an attack on Romny. With 53,000 enemy soldiers spread in front of him Jodl was relying on a concentrated thrust deep into the province to allow him to reach the five HQ units we had detected in the rear. To have been hit by several hundred dive-bombers when his men were at their most vulnerable would have had thrown his plan into turmoil.

27romnyfinal.jpg

Battle of Romny

The procession of easy victories in Estonia continued with Pytalovo falling to our men after less than 24 hours fighting. Polen Army Sud cleared Horki before midday and, after a week of dogged persistence, General Hell defeated Osyka in Svitlovods’k. Hell’s win was costly: he lost nearly 1,600 men to beat the combined arms of 10 Tankovaya and 300 Strelkovaya. Both 6th Gebirgsjäger and 26.ID will need to be rested, something that the Österreich Army can ill afford at the moment.

That was made even clearer by the next news from the south: yet another Russian attack, this time on Mykolayivk. General Brämer is under attack from three sides, from Kherson, Snihurivka and Novoolekisyivka. A Soviet armoured division (17 Tankovaya) and two rifle divisions are engaging 12.D and the situation is worsening by the hour. Brämer has told General von Kluge he cannot hold for much beyond nightfall.

27mykolayivkfinal.jpg

Battle of Mikolayivk

tischkowkafinal.jpg

A supply convoy to 12.ID comes under fire: under attack from three sides it is hard to find safe routes.

The response in Berlin to the news from Österreich Army was immediate: despite his protestations that his men were still not completely organised, Peschel was ordered to get 198.ID onto trains and move to Odessa. He has been assigned to III Armeekorps and General von Hannecken has been instructed that the division is to be sent directly to the front line. Acclimatisation to the different conditions on the Schwarzes Meer is a luxury we cannot afford. (In any case, at the moment it is a pleasant 11.5 Centigrade here in Berlin, while it is only 6.5 degrees and stormy in Odessa. So much for the Mediterranean climate).

If von Kluge thought things could not get much worse, he was wrong. As General Hells’s weary men started to look for billets in Svitlovods’k, their scouts rushed back to alert them of incoming Soviet infantry. Potapov’s 195 Strelkovaya, last heard of on 7th July when it was ignominiously turfed out of Bobrynets’ by Eppich’s 5th Gebirgsjäger Division) has recovered enough during its march northeast to Oleksandrivka to be able to mount an attack on Svitlovods’k. Not a strong attack, but enough to worry Hell whose 6th Gebirgsjägers are in no condition for more fighting after the last week’s efforts.

kfinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Svitlovods’k

It is not clear what has prompted General Crüwell’s attack across the Dniepr into Zolotonosha. The Balkans Army has already a substantial bridgehead over the Dniepr and Zolotonosha is firmly held by General Barinov with two good divisions. Is it some sort of effort by Guderian to ease the pressure on the northernmost elements of Österreich Army? If it is it is likely to be an expensive ploy as our armour is already struggling against a well-prepared enemy.

27zolotonoshafinal.jpg

Battle of Zolotonosha

bridgefinal.jpg

The main bridge has been rendered unusable, but Crüwell’s men will repair that once thay have secured the far bank of the Dniepr

Von Wietershiem is still having difficulties in establishing control of Pytalovo. Having seen off General Karlofilli and his four divisions, 11.ID is now opposed by the armoured vehicles of 205 Motorizovannaya. This should not be much tougher than the original defenders, but the continuous combat is starting wear down von Wietershiem’s men. Their mood was probably not improved to hear that in the neighbouring province of Kholm (site of an important airbase), Wünnenberg’s 9th Panzer division was moving forward completely unopposed.

27pytalovofinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Pytalovo

The final battle of the day may shed some light on the motivation for Crüwell’s attack. Generla Phleps’ has driven northeast from Pyriatin into Lebedyn. Taken in conjunction with the Jodl’s attack on Romny, this would open almost on a straight line to the Balkans Army objective of Brjansk. The one danger for such an attack would be a counter-attack from the south, form the enemy held province of Zolotonosha. By pre-emptively tying up Barinov’s divisions, Crüwell has allowed his fellow general a free opportunity to attack without having to worry about his rear.

27lebedynfinal.jpg

Battle of Lebedyn

End of Part II

Last edited:
Expeditionary forces will upgrade to the tech levels of the donor country. I think they need manpower replacements from the donor country but receive supplies from the receiving country. In general, expeditionary forces donated to Germany will remain second class units not really capable of maintaining their position in the main battle front. This aspect is just like real life ie. the capability of the Romanian and Italian armies guarding the 6th Army's flank at Stalingrad was limited. Uriah, while I advocated taking them over and trying to get some value out of them, please avoid repeating history.

The ICE mod includes the creation of specific expeditionary forces, such as the Italian forces in Russia, the African Korps and the German Training Mission in Romania (I think it does a bunch for the UK too). Some would argue that the mod's creation of these forces is a donation of "free" units but it seems the game does not have mechanics for a more realistic system (perhaps FTM?).

Using the HOI3 Army Organiser allows you to donate or return expeditionary forces to and from any country. It is a more efficient way to return expeditionary forces, than the in-game mechanic. You can't adjust what is in a division but you can put any existing division in any existing HQ (to the limit of 5) and it is just dragging and dropping. All leaders can also be changed and it covers air and sea, as well as land.

I'll try to keep them out of harm's way, but it is so tempting to put them on guard duty on a flank where you don't expect much action :rolleyes:

I think you are right about supplies and I really hope you are right about MP - otherwise attrition will kill me. It is a bit annoying that I can't donate techs to my allies as I could in HOI2 but I suppose that would really unbalance the game. A bit of a nudge i nthe right direction would be fine.

I know I can use Diplomacy but the cost (a research point) is very high for a dubious advantage - speed up their research while they do a particular project. No way of actaully influencing what they do.

It is a bit annoying that I can't donate techs to my allies as I could in HOI2 but I suppose that would really unbalance the game.
What do you mean, you can't? Doesn't tech sharing speed up their research in a given field?

What do you mean, you can't? Doesn't tech sharing speed up their research in a given field?

Yes it does, but it also costs leadership and it only improves their theoretical knowledge in that field. In HoI2, you could gift them a blueprint of a certain tech, which greatly increases research speed of that tech. That only would cost money (as diplomatic actions only used money in HoI2) and I think you could even avoid that by using an appropriate minister.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Wednesday 23rd to Monday 28th July 1941 (Part III)

There were couple of very odd battle results overnight, leading to puzzled faces here at the OKW administration office. One of them, though completely beyond comprehension, was accepted as a gift from heaven. With Brämer on the brink of retreat, the Red Army had called back their armoured divisions from Mykolayivk! We were already being warned by General von Kluge that Österreich Army could not guarantee holding the province, and the news the Russians were pulling back was like a bolt from the blue. The other result was the other way: Jodl halted his drive on Romny, despite the Russians falling back. The only reason we can think of is that Russian HQ units have made good their escape and that the 50,000 enemy troops present are causing him concern. The only other result overnight was good to hear, even if not unexpected. General Messe of the “Taurinense” division has successfully beaten off 16 Tankovaya, though at some cost. As far as we can ascertain, just over 300 Italians were lost in the defence of Mala Vyska, together with about 500 men of “Prinz Eugen”.

italianbreda30mab38afin.jpg

Italian soldiers performed well at Mala Vyska, taking heavy casualties as they fought shoulder to shoulder with our Gebirgsjägers. Although the Mab 38 proved to be more than adequate in combat, the Breda 30 is universally disliked for its poor fire rate and constant breakdowns.

As morning progressed and today’s news started to trickle in, I realised that we had misjudged Jodl. Buried in the masses of bombing reports (I am beginning to think the Luftwaffe drops more paper on my desk than bombs on the enemy) was short message that General von Förster’s 25.ID has taken over responsibility for the capture of Romny. Guderian has learnt a lesson from the master, von Manstein, who has used the “abandoned attack” several times to put the Russians off balance. Mid-afternoon I received the expected word that Krutikov had acknowledged defeat and abandoned Romny.

28romnyfinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Romny

It was probably quite coincidental, but General Volkmann’s battle for Kirovohrad started within minutes of von Förster’s attack on Romny, and he claimed victory at virtually the same time. Considering that 1st Gebirgsjäger were up against two solid infantry divisions, well dug in and benefitting from atrocious weather conditions, it was a tribute to him and his men that they carried out their task so efficiently.

28kirovohradfinal.jpg

Battle of Kirovohrad

I have mentioned that the Luftwaffe’s summer bombing campaign continued unabated, and once again the VVS was nullified. General Major Astakhov tried to disrupt the bombing of Veleikie Luki but while he did destroy several bombers on one mission, the next time Keller made the trip he was accompanied by 600 fighters and was not bothered. On the other hand, far to the south Rychagov’s bombers were intercepted as they left their base at Sevastopol. 4th Jagdfliegerkorps made sure none of the DB-3s made it off the Crimean peninsula.

28airdzhankoyfinal.jpg

Air Battle of Dzharkoy

Haritonov was provided with just two divisions with which to hold Ploskos: 67 Strelkovaya (which had marched for 25 days since being defeated by Wünnenberg’s panzers in the battle of 1st Battle of Braslaw) and 36 Kavaleriy (which had fought for eight days at Madona before being forced to retreat after taking heavy casualties and has been on the road for 12 days). Needless to say, against von Sodenstern’s men, fully rested and with high morale after a succession of victories, they did not last long, and well before dark both divisions were again trudging (or riding) east.

28ploskosfinal.jpg

Battle of Ploskos

Although yesterday Wünnenberg reported no enemy present in Kholm, as his lead vehicles entered the town and moved to occupy the hastily evacuated airbases they came under fire from an unknown infantry unit. It was later identified as 12 Strelkovaya, last seen in Sigulda a month ago. It must have been on the road for most of that time as it was definitely not in peak condition and during the night it slipped away from 9th Panzer, leaving 173 dead or prisoners.

28kholmfinal.jpg

Battle of Kholm

omirfoinal.jpg

Wünnenberg’s men were taken by surprise when shells started landing in Kholm: the presence of another Soviet division was not suspected.

Von Kluge seems oblivious to the situation on his right where the Russians are launching attack after attack. On his left he persists in trying to cross the Dniepr, and he has ordered another attempt on Obolon. Von Lützow’s 163.ID, badly mauled at the river in the last attempt, is on its way to the rear so this attack is led by General Glokke and will be carried out by two fresh units: 33 and 163.ID. The Soviets still have 16,000 men covering the fords and narrower stretches of the river and the first reports are not promising.

28obolonfinal.jpg

Battle of Obolon

As the lights started to come on in buildings across Berlin (we work late now: it is considered very unpatriotic to leave before dark) the last two reports arrived. Velikie Luki is finally ours, 16 days after Kleisterheisterkamp gave the signal for 5th Panzer Division to move forward. The Russians fought bitterly for the province, throwing nearly 50,000 men into the battle, but they had no solution to our armour. The other report was from General Höpner who has won Noviska. Although that battle lasted just a week, casualties were very similar to those at Velikie Luki. A possible explanation is that the lighter armour of the 4th leichte was more vulnerable to the inherent anti-tank weaponry of the Russian infantry. Not a good thought to have as I walked to the Bahnhof: my brother is relying on that lighter armour.

Finalised Battles for the period 23rd to 28th July 1941

Karvasa: 0 (6,997): 14 (25,213)
Ludza: 0 (9,996): 11 (1,754)
2nd Ludza: 69 (9,991): 136 (7,000)
Pryluky: 2,903 (29,170): 3,259 (88,567)
Bashtanka: 915 (9,991): 328 (30,986)
Orsha: 1,170 (53,405): 1,680 (82,784)
Röngu: 31 (21,988): 43 (15,541)
Nasva: 502 (9,531): 406 (61,444)
Aloja: 245 (9,994): 297 (9,997)
Dorogobuz: 583 (19,987): 1,320 (62,860)
Asipovichy: 739 (19,991): 1,059 (40,960)
2nd Röngu: 43 (10,000): 65 (8,992)
Bykhaw: 38 (9,615): 73 (7,998)
Horki: 143 (45,986): 626 (22,149)
Pytalovo: 48 (9,995): 40 (32,979)
Svitlovods’k: (1,573): 1,388 (24,457)
Romny: 105 (9,995): 128 (52,984)
Mykolayivk: 160 (9,994): 61 (28,991)
Mala Vyska: 809* (25,985): 604 (9,995)
2nd Romny: 47 (9,997): 129 (25,751)
Kirovohrad: 78 (10,000): 72 (15,692)
Plostos: 64 (9,996): 77 (15,402)
Kholm : 42 (9,995): 173 (8,989)
Noviska: 1,139 (15,986): 1,379 (17,985)
Velikie Luki: 1,272 (21,990): 1,510 (47,986)

*Estimated to be 320 Italian and 489 German

alpinifinal.jpg

Alpini of the “Taurinense” division look on in disbelief as the Russian tanks turn back from Mala Vyska

Total Battle Casualties for the period 23rd to 28th July 1941

Italian: 320
German: 12,398
Russian: 14,878

Prior Battle Casualties

German: 227,192
Russian: 232,450

Total Battle Casualties to date

German: 12,398 + 227,192 = 239,590
Russian: 14,878 + 232,450 = 247,328

Narva – Karvasa

narvakarsavafinalend.jpg

Alba-Paluija: 1st schwere Panzer has moved in from Cesis and resistance is fading fast. (98% complete)

Karvasa – Horki

karvasahorkifinalend.jpg

Pytalovo: No change in the units involved, but von Wietersheim scents victory and has increased the intensity of his attacks. (90% complete)

Zapadnaja Dvina: Progress is almost imperceptible, but the Russians are being worn down. !97 Strelkovaya has been withdrawn and while it has been replaced by 213 Motorizavannay, that unit must still make its way to the front. Meanwhile Harpe has been given an infantry division to help his panzertruppen cross the river. (43% complete)

Horki – Maniewicze

horkimanfinal.jpg

All is quiet west of the Pripyat

Maniewicze – Kremenchuk

mankremenchukfinalend.jpg

Brovary: No change (48% complete)

Slavutych: Only 163 Strelkovaya remains blocking von Brockdorf-Ahlefeldt, though 173 Strelkovaya is is now in reserve. (49% complete)

Zolotonosha: 6th SS Freiwilligen Gebirgsjäger Division “Nord” has been placed in reserve, ready to move into combat. (35% complete)

Lebedyn: No change (76% complete)

Hlobyne: 23 Har’kovskaya is now alone and Meise has ordered a full assault. (78% complete)

Polis’ke: Somehow this on-going battle was overlooked in the last situation maps provided by Balkans Army. 108.ID has now retired and the third of our units has taken over. General Cochenhausen’s 161.Id (mot) has the best chance yet of taking the province: the sole original defenders (11 Strelkovaya) is nearly spent, and 37 Kavaleriy is about as exhausted. (60% complete)

Obolon: No change. (22% complete)

Kremenchuk – Mykolayivka

kremmykfinalend.jpg

Svitlovods’k: 13 Dagestanskaya has made a flank attack on the Gebirgsjägers and we know two more divisions are on the move. Hell’s division could soon be under attack from three sides, outnumbered four to one. They are already reeling from the shock of the attack. (82% complete)

Bombing Summary for the period 23rd to 28th July 1941

Luftwaffe (and Regia Aeronautica)

Kirovohrad: Dörstling with 6th Kampffliegerkorps: 152, 307, 115, 77 (651)
Orsha: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 249, 351, 364, 162 (1,126)
Orsha: Hoffman von Waldau with 4th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 104, 184, 168 (456)
Pryluky: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 179, 279, 219 (677)
Ptyluky: Kesselring with 1st Schlachtfliegerkorps: 168, 161 (329)
Pyriatin: Kesselring with 1st Schlachtfliegerkorps: 112, 86, 173, 239, 180 (790)
Pyriatin: Schwartzkopff with 2nd Kampffleigerkorps: 89, 203, 271, 114 (677)
Nosivka: Schwartzkopff with 2nd Kampffliegerkorps: 389, 174, 223, 431, 289 (1,506)
Nosivka: Kesselring with 1st Schalchtfliegerkorps: 144, 371, 279, 111 (905)
Nosivka: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffleigerkorps: 165, 355, 295 (815)
Abja-Paluoja: Wever with 6th Kampffleigerkorps: 184, 231, 226, 133, 139, 137, 224, 119 (1,393)
Dorogobuz: Sperrle with 1st Kampffleigerkorps: 229, Nil (229)
Dorogobuz: Grauert with 4th Kampffleigerkorps: 177, Nil (177)
Nasva: Keller with 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 343, 338 (681)
Bobrynets’: Dörstling with 6th Kampffleigerkorps: 101, 227, 172, 72 (572)
Svitlovods’k: Udet with 3rd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 162, 182, 207, 99 (650)
Svitlovods’k: Dörstling with 6th Kampffliegerkorps: 110, 141 (251)
Brovary: Schwartzkopff with 2nd Kampffliegerkorps: 250, 326, 371, 150 (1,097)
Vilaka: Wever with 6th Kampffleigerkorps: 189, 297, 205, 254, 351, 166, 219 (1,681)
Velikie Luki: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 222, 101, 99, 245, 219, 221 (1,107)
Velikie Luki: Keller with 6th Kampffliegerkorps: 287, 25, 277 (589)
Velikie Luki: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 68 (68)
Pytalovo: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 341, 269, 261, 155 (1,026)
Zapadnaja Dvina: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 147, 100 (247)
Zapadnaja Dvina: Hoffman von Waldau with 4th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 173 (173)
Zapadnaja Dvina: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 221, 286, 178 (685)
Romny: Gamondy with 13a and 35A Bombadiere: 220, 284 (504)
Dinprodzerzynsk: Dörstling with 6th Kampffliegerkorps: 75, 226, 211 (512)
Lebedyn: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 240, 253 (493)

fiatbr20cicognafinal.jpg

A new and welcome addition to our bombing force: Fiat BR 20 “Cicognas” of 2nd Air Wing, 1st Italian Expeditionary Army

VVS

Kremenchuk: Zhigarev with 23rd and 46th ShAD: 89 (89)
Rezekne: Smushkevich with 77th and 25th ShAD: 93 (93)

Total Bombing Casualties for the period 23rd to 28th July 1941

German: 182
Russian: 20,067

Prior Bombing Casualties

German: 3,140
Russian: 144,458

Total Bombing Casualties to date

German: 182 + 3,140 = 3,322
Russian: 20,067 + 144,458 = 164,525

East Front: Supply Situation at end of 28th July

barbsupplyfinal.jpg

Total East Front Casualties for the period 23rd to 28th July 1941

German: 12,398 + 182 = 12,580
Russian: 14,878 + 20,067 = 34,945

Prior East Front Casualties

Italian: Nil
German: 230,332
Russian: 376,908

Total East Front Casualties to date

German: 12,580 + 230,332 = 242,912
Russian: 34,945 + 376,908 = 411,853

I wouldn't allow the AI to use tanks to attack over a river. Madness!

I would agree nearly all the time: but I have noticed that a heavy tank div can cross against inf. quite cheaply. But overall, the AI has no idea of Blitzkrieg.

Did you notice that in the propaganda newsletter, Guderian of all people took credit for the 'Victory' in Smolensk? An attempt to rescue his popularity? Tsts... XD

I hadn't noticed, but I am not surprised. The man is shameless. So now he is begging favours of Goebbels? He should just buckle down and salvage what he can of the Pripyat pocket.

Yes it does, but it also costs leadership and it only improves their theoretical knowledge in that field. In HoI2, you could gift them a blueprint of a certain tech, which greatly increases research speed of that tech. That only would cost money (as diplomatic actions only used money in HoI2) and I think you could even avoid that by using an appropriate minister.

Tech sharing allows you to let your ally have the same level of tech theory (say artillery or tactical airpower focus). If your ally choses to research a project that uses that theory then they get the benefit of your experience. But if they don't it is wasted. I know you can use intel to finad out what they are researching, but that is pretty random, and there is no way to influence their choice.

With leadership so precious, spending a point in a lottery is not for me. I would rather have more officers or research something myself.

As Baltasar says, it was different in HOI2. You could chose gift up to 5 or 6 blueprints at a time, so you could flood your allies with everyhting you had. It did run a risk that their anti-espionage was weak and your enemies could pinch it, but that was pretty random and never really bothered me.

Don'y misread me: I can see why it was removed. I just wish its replacement had been a bit more useful. Maybe the ability to "donate" enough IC to upgrade a unit? I would like that: I will donate enough PZ IIIs for Hungary to equip an armoured div, or enough Stukas for an Italian air wing.

20,000 casulties inflicted by bombing. That's more like it!

About your supply convoys: Wouldn't it make more sense to supply your bridgeheads from Danzig instead of Königsberg? I seem to remember that Danzig has a higher port level than Königsberg. Even if not, you would have to move the stuff through a few less provinces. Thinking about it, may be Rostock should be your point of departure for seabound supplies? Or even Lübeck or Kiel if you want to take the supplies bound for your bridgeheads really out of the way of the supplies flowing into the east.

I think the soviets have a week or two to stop you in the South, the Dniepr is only a few provinces away. Once across the Dniepr, I do not think the Soviets can stop you unless you run out of supplies. In the north, it is a bit different. Hopefully, the AI doesn't decide to move the entire far east army to the West. That happened to me with pretty dire consequences in one game.

If your ally choses to research a project that uses that theory then they get the benefit of your experience. But if they don't it is wasted. I know you can use intel to finad out what they are researching, but that is pretty random, and there is no way to influence their choice.
I know that, but remember that theory techs are spread out over multiple practical research fields. The AI will always do some common stuff, so you can jump-start them for infantry, artillery, or industry. I realize that it's more useful before fighting breaks out, when only you can really build up the practical to build up the theory, but still worth mentioning.

Things seem to be going very well for you in the north central area. After taking Minisk you blew through a few provinces and are on the doorsteps of Smolensk. That city is very important. In the south things are going pretty slow. The norther Dneiper has been crossed but it looks like a lack of troops in the south.

Next couple of months will decide all. If the SU sends it's far eastern divisions (would have started the SR already) then you might be in real trouble. If not a breakthrough to Moscow is possbile. The terrain east and north of Pskov gets really bad and you will probably bog down. But west and south of Smolensk is lots of plains and nice tank country. I would send those minors to help in the south. Not sure you can risk the SU breaking through down there and getting to Romania or even Hungary. From the reports it almost seems if you have as many panzers in the north as you do in the south. And in the far south I don't see any yet the Red Army has at least 4 tank divisions there.

At least your airforce is once again doing its part. Keep up the good work. I liked the line about them dropping more paperwork than bombs.

Your flavor text for the Italian performance in battle put together the phrases 'performed well' and 'took heavy casualties' in the same sentence. Not something you normally see. :D Is this a subtle joke ('the Italians performed well' = 'well, most of them died, but at least they didn't flee')? ;)

Seeing that supply map brought home how far away Moscow still is. In HoI2 Smolensk was practically already at the doorstep to victory. :(