• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd May 1941 (Part 1)

Another section of the schwere panzer research project has been completed, and our engineers are now able to provide much thicker and stronger armour. Minister Göring has exercised his authority by ordering the research team to turn to the problem of ground crew training for our heavy bombers. Perhaps better preparation will allow the aircraft to operate more than at present.

General Petersen was in charge of the first battle of the 20th, giving the signal to start just after midnight. 22 and 107.Infanterie (mot) are to take on General Strumilov in Brody. Petersen’s enthusiasm to get into battle led him to forget to file his battle map, but we know that he was opposed by 4 divisions: 9 Tankovaya, 11 Motorizovannaya, 101 Strelkovaya and 37 Kavaleriyskaya. It was probably not too important – Shumilov conceded defeat the following day.

bt5final.jpg

A BT-5 moves forward in an early phase of the battle of Brody. If it was lucky it would have retreated the following day

Böhme has also started a night attack, but he at least was able to meet the administrative requirements. His Fallschirmjägers are to exert pressure on the trapped Russians, but the defenders of Panevezys are still capable of spirited resistance.

panevezysfinal.jpg

Battle of Panevezys

Böttcher had a brief alarm when he was attacked in Siauliai. With only 8,750 men left, he was warned that three full divisions were moving towards him. Any concern was soon removed as the attack was called off: Böhm’s drive into Panevezys had caught the Russians on the flank and General Sadalov had no option but to concentrate his troops in that direction. The casualties give an indication of the danger that Böhm was in: we lost 49 men to the Russian 17 dead.

siauliaifinal.jpg

Battle of Siauliai

Further south, at Vinnytsya, General Bieß and his “Bitburg” motorised division are up against two Russian divisions. Even though the terrain is open with no impediments to our advance, the Russians are reportedly well prepared and unlikely to fold.

vinnytsyafinal.jpg

Battle of Vinnytsya

General Engelbrecht won the battle of Pervomays’k, driving off 2 Belorusskaya and 195 Strelkovaya. As 3rd and 4th Gebirgsjäger divisions marched into the province, however, their leads units clashed with elements of 8 Minskaya. It would not take long: the Minskaya division, still showing the effects of its defeat in Tiraspol three weeks ago, was fleeing before noon the next day.

k2final.jpg

2nd Battle of Pervomays’k

Once again our generals have co-operated well: Engelbrecht’s advance into Pervomays’k has completely shattered General Iakolev’s plan to assault Behlendorff in Zhovten. With two divisions threatening him from Troyit’ke he had little choice but to abandon his attack which had barely started.

zhovten2final.jpg

2nd Battle of Zhovten

gebirgsfinal.jpg

Closely controlling the battle, these Gebirgsjäger officers are about to hear of Engelbrecht’s double victory.​

With so much going well, it was a surprise to hear that we had suffered a significant defeat. 1st schwere Panzer division has suffered heavy casualties in Dobele, losing several thousand men. Many of our heavy tanks were destroyed, making it imperative that our upgrades are given priority. More concerning is the total exhaustion of the division: it will be some time before it can contribute to Unternehmen Barbarossa. Only an hour later similar bad news arrived from Aizkraukle: we have given up the attempt to recapture the province. Casualties were far less and the two divisions involved are nowhere near as tired, but it shows that the Red Army can still put considerable forces into battle.

Depressing news from the north was soon forgotten when von Bock reported from Uman that he has won a resounding victory. For once we overwhelmed the defenders, with nearly 130,000 men engaged against 33,000 Russians. As Goebbel’s propaganda broadcasts were played and replayed, recruitment centres reported a surge of much-needed volunteers. (There was a half-hearted attempt to retake Uman on Wednesday but it could hardly be called a battle: it was over in an hour with the Russians losing 10 more men).

victoryumanfinal.jpg

Victory at Uman

Wednesday the Luftwaffe took delivery of two hundred brand new Junkers 88 medium bombers. KG 25 “Kran” and KG 28 “Rabe” have flown to Danzig to join JG 8 “Beschützer”. The new 8th Kampffliegerkorps will be led by Generalleutnant Wever. It will remain in Danzig for a week or so to fill its supply depots and to allow an organisational structure to be put in place. Then it will be assigned to one of the East Front armies to play its part in Barbarossa.

antifinal.jpg

Our bombers are badly affecting the Russians, and they are using every tactic possible to deter our aircraft. Some are more successful than others.

The factories involved have modified their equipment to allow production to commence on two more mechanised divisions. Depite the huge cost, Minister Bayerlein was still able to grab some capacity to improve infrastructure in Kobryn, Wolkowysk, Kam’yanets’-Podil’s’kyi, Ratno, Zhmerynka, Kostopol and Brzesc Litewski.

While 6th SS Friewilligen Gebirgsjäger Division “Nord” escaped an attack yesterday (thanks to the intervention of 3rd and 4th Gebrigsjäger divisions), it was not so lucky today. General Popov has organised two powerful divisions to move on the mountain troops, and General Behlendorff will no doubt already be on the radio calling for bombers to smash the columns of tanks and armoured vehicles headed his way. This will test the fortitude of his men: facing tanks and motorised infantry on featureless grain fields.

21zhovtenfinal.jpg

3rd Battle of Zhovten

General Bergmann’s persistence finally paid off. He has at last driven the Russians from Iwacewicze, and his casualties were fairly low considering the odds he faced. This is probably a good thing, as Polen Army Nord needs every division it has. The many failed attempts to cross the Memel have left several units unfit for combat.

That does not seem to be a concern for General Guderian. The divisions of the Balkans Army are continuously fighting, always driving north and east. Haysyn is next on Guderian’s target list, and he has given Haase two divisions and orders to capture it. Slightly outnumbered, Haase has stormed in, sending Cochenhausen’s motorised infantry deep into the wide flat centre of the province. Guderian’s confidence was well warranted, as the Russian General Cheremsov ordered a full retreat before dusk.

21haysynfinal.jpg

Battle of Haysyn

It is still to be seen if his decision to send von Bock’s 111.Infanterie (mot) into Halvoron was as justified. Uborevich has four divisions to protect his three HQ detachments, but Guderian is gambling that their recent activities have left them too weak to resist a strong push. (11 Strelkovaya was severely mauled at Orhei and the other three divisions only escaped Ul’yanovska and the pursuing von Roques by abandoning everything bar their personal weapons.)

21halvoronfinal.jpg

Battle of Halvoron

Perhaps it is in Illintsi that Guderian is pushing the limits of the possible. Phleps is an experienced commander, with a gift for offensive action, but 98.Infanterie has been on the move for days and to ask them to attack two full strength infantry divisions who have been allowed to dig in is asking a lot. With numerous storm clouds in the area indicating air support cannot be relied upon, this could be one battle too many for the Baltic Army.

21illintsifinal.jpg

Battle of Illintsi

Obviously General Guderian is not concerned about air cover, as he ordered a fourth attack on Wednesday. General Dippold is already entering Krasyliv and fighting has started between his 386.Infanterie and General Alexandrov’s infantry, motorised and cavalry divisions. Admittedly 9 Krymskaya and 18 Strelkovaya are still useless after General Warlimont thrashed them in Horodok, but 163 Mororizovannaya could still be a basis on which to build a defence.

21krasylivfinal.jpg

Battle of Krasyliv

Not everyone has been surprised at the resistance shown by the Red Army and the amount of effort our soldiers must expend to drive them east. Theorists at OKH have been studying ways to increase the morale of our mobile units and have designed a new Tactical Command Structure to boost moral by an estimated 20%. This should allow our units to outlast all but the most determined defenders. Next problem to be solved: more advanced Blitzkrieg techniques. The theorists warn this will be a much larger task.

The next day Guderian showed he was not yet finished: General Ruoff headed straight north from Khmel’nyts’kyy, into no less than seven enemy combat units and two HQ detachments. It was not as bad as it sounds as many units had taken heavy losses (there were only 52,200 men left) and were also on the brink of administrative collapse after weeks of fighting and retreating. If “Vorwärts” motorised division can pull this off, the Balkans Army will have outflanked the fortress city of Vinnitsa.

22starofinal.jpg

Battle of Starokostyantyniv

25106guderian04final.jpg

General Guderian does not sit far to the rear: his Sdkfz 251/6 command half-track allows him to be continuously on the move.

During the morning there was a break from the apparently never-ending battles of the Balkans Army. Admiral Boehm reported that enemy bombers had tried to attack the Nordseeflotte but von Greim’s 1st and 2nd Trägergruppe had deterred them. He did mention he was anxious about the condition of his carrier aircraft – they have been at sea for some time and are showing signs of needing maintenance and repair.

22bombfinnfinal.jpg

Air Battle of Finnish Coast

Although General Behlendorff called for bombers (and tanks and artillery and more men etc) he received nothing. As a result he has had to pull back 6th SS Freiwilligen Gebirgsjäger “Nord”, though casualties were low. While the loss of one province is not too alarming, the presence of large fresh formations and the willingness of the Red Army to counter-attack are a warning that we must not over-extend ourselves. (I wonder if General Guderian has taken note).

There was no risk of becoming over-extended in Saldus. Kleinheisterkamp sent 5th Panzer Division into the woods of Saldus at full speed and his gamble paid off. In an hour 25 Strelkovaya was on the run, despite it being at near full strength and in prepared positions. It shows what a bit od dash can do, though I suppose it could have gone horribly wrong.

22saldusfinal.jpg

Battle of Saldus

During the afternoon, there was an urgent message from General Ruoff to Balkans HQ, or more correctly, to the Luftwaffe liaison officer attached to the HQ. He reported several hundred Russian dive bombers overhead and politely enquired about the lack of fighter cover. Within minutes calls were made to airbases around Berehomet and Fisser had the pilots of 7th Jagdfliegerkorps racing to their aircraft. “”Bach”, “Beethoven” and “Bruch” were in the air when Fisser heard that Österreich Army had volunteered Felmy’s interceptors. The 600 Messerschmitts soon chased off Thor’s bombers, but not before dozens of our men had been killed.

airkhmel1pm225final.jpg

Air Battle of Kmel’nyts’kyy

There were two short battles that afternoon, neither really of importance, except that Brand’s 3rd Gebrigsjägers not only beat off a Soviet attack in Pervomays’k (at a cost of 6 men), but it then took Vil’shanka for just four dead. Levkin’s 16,000 men obviously we so taken aback at the speed of Brand’s retaliatory move that they simply turned and ran. Another cheap victory for the Balkans Army.

shankafinal.jpg

Battle of Vil’shanka

The last battle of the day could take an equally short time. General Kalmukoff and 88.Infanterie have been sent to evict Alekseenko’s two infantry divisions from Dobele. The Russians have been fighting for some time (146 Strelkovaya has fought in the battles of Laukuva and Plunge, while 70 Strelkovaya fought at Jelgava) and cannot replenish their depleted stocks of food and ammunition, so this should be a swift victory.

22dobelefinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Dobele

End of Part 1

Last edited:
Another great update! keep up the good work.

As ive said before and to echo Loki100, one of the best aspects of this AAR is your use of the AI and your commitment to it. We have all (im sure) played as Germany with complete player control and rolled east with ease to bitter peace or total victory. AAR examples of this litter the board. Your AAR's attraction, beyond the excellent writting and incredible detail is the suspense of NOT KNOWING WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. Can the AI with a smaller but more advanced army and an excellent airforce defeat the giant red blob? I hope so but and im sure the read will be exciting regardless of the final outcome.

Hope your tech problem is an easy fix (i have no idea myself, i can turn on this infernal machine and thats about it).

PS !! FlammpanzerIII !!

You are not the only one to not know what will happen. I have made a point of trying to keep less than a week or so in advance of my writing, so I don't know either. (Otherwise it will creep in).

And I'm glad you like the approach: when I started I had a few rules that I thought would make this AAR distinct. One was the use of the AI, the second that I would provide all the detail anyone could want to see how things actually work. (And I promisd not to cheat, but I hope all AAR writers do that).

I hope the tech problem is OK - I suppose I'll find out. I have deleted what I consider is the junk and will start to play forward in the next few days.

Great update, the images you use are fantastic. The colour photo you have used for Horodok is spectacular.

I thought the same. Not to wanting to sound terribly pessimistic, but I'd be a little fearful that your save game might be in some way corrupted.

I like to use colour every now and then: some are actually colour photos, others are "technically enhanced".

As for the save game: I have checked to my ability. It works and I haven't discovered any problem but I haven't played much forward so there could be a gamebreaker hidden somewhere. But that's the risk you take when doing a long AAR.

Hopefully, the weather stays relatively clear for the rest of the year. Pitting your hopes on the Luftwaffe was always going to be a gamble. Against Father Winter deep in Russia, holding the line is going to become a tough challenge.
I'm still pretty confident, though. True, if GER was completely under AI-control, I'd worry about a collapse sometimes in late 1942/early 1943 by now. But there is a human player at the helm who can make a drastic difference, in build-orders, strategic decisions and the reserve of special divisions. That's a drastic difference compared to an AI-country. So I think any kind of doomsaying is a bit premature. Even if the Führer has already started thinking up excuses. :)

Unfortunately the weather gods have not been kind (at least not for the next week). What is far more concerning is my airbases are showing supply problems: supply consumption is so high that even with all the work I have done transport can't meet the demand. I think it is just temporary, but fingers crossed.

apart from the usual compliments on the quality of the updates.

I will start to be concerned when I see the first signs of a Soviet counteroffensive. Probably in the north.
I hope that pocket gets reduced soon.

According to me the progress of the Heer against a mobilised and nearly full strength Red Army is quite good and completely incomparable to the state of affairs at the early stages of RL Barbarossa.

There are signs of counter-attacks in the south, but manageable. Considering I was outnumbered 3:1 at the start, I think I'm going OK. But MP losses are getting far too high. I have "gambled" on high-tech beating numbers, but the Red Army is not too far below me in tech. Only in the air has the sheer size of the Luftwaffe been a winner.

Let's see the position in late June/July: fine weather and deeper in the Rodina.

And thanks to everyone for the compliments. They are always appreciated even if not acknowledged.

You will note I have modified the updates by haveing two-parters. This is to solve the images threshhold and my relectance to give stats updates more frequently. Hope nobody minds but I do have other commitments and doing those upfate battle maps is quite time consuming. :eek:

as ever, this remains utterly fascinating and immersing ... as to

Unfortunately the weather gods have not been kind (at least not for the next week). What is far more concerning is my airbases are showing supply problems: supply consumption is so high that even with all the work I have done transport can't meet the demand. I think it is just temporary, but fingers crossed.

I suspect you're being caught by the supply logic that seeks to supply the furthest provinces first, so it'll keep pushing supplies to your spearsheads and if need be, pull it from rear area provinces (that also need supply). You may end up having to stop a continuous offensive across the entire front to allow this time to resolve (its probably not a problem, yet, of a lack of supply, its just its lacking in certain provinces the AI prioritises). An alternative, and prob rather hard using the army AI is to try and snag some Soviet supply dumps, that will then relieve the pressure to push your supply forwards. One trick is to use the supply map mode and do some normal rear area bombing runs, sooner or later you'll spot provinces where the Soviet AI is stacking up excess supplies, then prioritise those.

look at that.. the russians have tactics to lay down so that planes can shoot at them without having to maneouvre too much ^^ (I can just imagine a 250kg bomb in rhe middle of that rifle thicket)

I'm awed by the quantity of work that you are putting into the AAR so whatever your decision is for update format I am more than happy to read it :)

Any diplomatic moves on Finland?

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd May 1941 (Part II)

There was a break in the weather on Friday and the Luftwaffe bombers need no encouragement to get back into action. Most of the units that were able to get fuel and munitions flew four missions during the day, giving the Red Army a severe hammering.

23bombseduvafinal.jpg

Kitzinger’s target: 109,000 soldiers crammed into Seduva, desperately trying to head east

It did not help the long suffering men of 14.Infanterie, nor their leader General Bergmann. After four separate battles he thought he had Iwacewicze in his hands as the defenders all turned tail and fled. But his hopes have been dashed. As his soldiers marched forward, no doubt looking forward to a few days rest, they came under fire from a new unit. 7 Motorizovannaya inserted its 9,000 men in the line of advance and Bergmann will need to fight a fifth battle for the province. Luckily he has received replacements for his losses and supply trucks have replenished his stocks of food and ammunition.

23iwacewiczefinal.jpg

5th Battle of Iwacewicze

inffinal.jpg

Helmets off, infantry move forward into Iwacewicze. An hour later, the helmets were back on as they met elements of 7 Motorizovannaya

Three victories were reported. At Ul’yanovka von Roques chased off the last of the 90,000 men the Russians had sent to oppose him. There was a half-hearted attempt to re-enter, but he soon showed those troops the error of their ways. Skalat was a tough battle but after nearly two weeks General Höpner’s men have won the province. Two thousand of our men died during the fight, so it was a costly victory. Even the two day battle for Halvoron cost von Bock’s 111.Infanterie nearly 500 men. The Russians seem determined to make us pay for every metre of ground.

In fact, von Bock’s claim to have captured the province was a bit presumptuous. Before the day was over his men were engaged in heavy fighting again, though Levkin’s 53 Strelkovaya is more likely to be fleeing Balta than actively trying to oppose von Bock’s progress. (Levkin’s men have never recovered since their defeat at Orhei).

23halvoronfinal.jpg

Second Battle of Halvoron

Further north, Rommel has sent General Altrichter into Luck. 107.Infanterie is completely untouched, not having been committed to battle yet, but it will find this a difficult introduction to Barbarossa. It must defeat three infantry divisions, only one of which is showing signs of recent fighting. At least Altrichter’s opponents have no rivers or forests to assist in the defence.

23luckfinal.jpg

Battle of Luck

In the air, our bombers were able to fly uninterrupted by the VVS. There was an attempt by Vewrshinnin to get his two fighter groups into action, but Klepke was watching closely and met him over Riga. The Russians tried to break the Messerschmitt barrier but failed abysmally.

23airrigafinal.jpg

Air Battle of Riga

On the other hand, our interceptors successfully turned back Smirnov’s bombers over Bauska. For once the Russian fighters were prepared to escort their bombers but to no real effect. There were no ground casualties, unless a falling enemy aircraft injured someone.

fighterfinal.jpg

Refuelling our interceptors at the front is sometimes a makeshift affair

In the far north, the trapped Russian divisions have made a desperate attempt to break the stranglehold we have on them. Whether it was luck or some of the locals were persuaded to provide information, General Selivanov chose just the right spot for his attack: Jurmala. 3rd Sturm-Marine Division, now detached from the Baltic Army, was following its orders to move back to Riga and was completely unprepared for an attack. The mobile troops of 204 Motorizovannaya and 43 Kavaleriyskaya were able to penetrate the defences easily and our position is under extreme pressure. The Russians cannot keep this up for long – supplies cannot be replaced – but it will probably be enough to take the province.

23jurmalafinal.jpg

Battle of Jurmala

svgfinal.jpg

Fighting in Jurmala: Soviet soldiers armed with brand new SVT 41 rifles take cover behind a coastal wall.

Baltic Army

balticfinalend.jpg

Seguva: Although General Agricola could not help him from Raseiniai, Böttcher has received welcome assistance from Feige’s 8.Infanterie from Kelme. The Marines need all the help thay can get: there are at least 89,000 enemy soldiers in the forests of Seguva. A small number have been encircled which will make the job a little easier, but there is much work to be done yet. (66% complete)

Tukums: This battle is not going well: 3rd Marines are the only unit we have left while the Russians still have two infantry divisions hanging on, with an armoured division in reserve. While all the Russian units are close to exhaustion, so are the Marines, who are also under attack from Jurmala while simultaneously trying to pull back to Riga. (57% complete)

Jurmala: No change other than the ships of the Ostseeflotte are using their big guns to slow the Russian advance. (85% complete)

Panevezys: Böhme is finding it hard going in the forest, despite 1st Fallschirmjäger joining the battle. Sandalov has lost 5 Vitebskaya but received a far better division (179 Strelkovaya) in exchange. The lack of support regiments is costing the Fallschirmjägers dearly but they have not lost their spirit, having launched an assault on the enemy positions. 48% complete)

Polen Army Nord

nordfinalend.jpg

Dobele: No change, but the end is not far away. (99% complete)

Alytus: Only 213 Motorizovannaya remains, while Wünnenberg’s 9th Panzer has been supported by Nehring’s 1st Panzer attacking from Kalvarija. (82% complete)

5th Kaunas: No real change – Ershakov’s 47 Strelkovaya is about to crack but his two fresh divisions will be able to resist for some time. Our troops are rapidly tiring and the border town remains securely in enemy hands. (25% complete)

Sopockinie: Belov’s 7 Tankovaya, the only Red Army unit left, is fighting a tactical withdrawal, but is paying a huge price. (76% complete)

Polen Army Sud

sudfinalend.jpg

5th Iwacewicze: Bergmann is showing his ability to withstand setbacks and has 14.Infanterie well on the way to overcoming yet another Russian division. The Russians are carrying out a tactical withdrawal, probably to allow the thousands of retreating troops time to get clear. (80% complete)

Drohiczyn Poleski: Frießner has been able to keep the defenders in a state of shock and has 3.Infanterie moving up from Ratno. (78% complete)

Powórsk: Jodl now has three divisions with 7th Panzer attacking from Torczyn and 108.Infanterie joining him from Holoby. The extra troops have encouraged him to mount an all-out assault. On the Russian side, General Rybak has left with his HQ units and General Morozov has brought up 39 Kavaleriyskaya from reserve. (67% complete)

2nd Skidel: 104.Infanterie has done all it can and can give no ore: its men are worn out. Baranov is so confident of victory he has moved 18 Gorno-Kavaleriyska to the rear. (20% complete)

Luck: General Kondratchev has had 189 Strelkovaya taken from him but has still been able to mount a counter-attack. This will only slow Altrichter slightly. (66% complete)

Balkans Army

balkanfinalend.jpg

2nd Tarnopol: No change (96% complete)

Starokostyantyniv: No change (61% complete)

2nd Halvoron: Every Russian unit that opposed von Bock has abandoned the province, but General Levkin, fleeing defeat in Vil’shanka, has tried to stem the rout with 53 Strelkovaya, buying time for 2 Belorsusskaya Kavaleriyskaya to escape. It is a vain hope: von Bock’s men have made a breakthrough and are pouring into the heart of the province. (72% complete)

Vinnytsya: No change (41% complete)

Illintsi: No change in the units involved, but Phleps has shocked the defenders with the power of his attack (37% complete)

Krasyliv: 9 Krymskaya Kavaleriyskaya and 18 Strelkovaya have pulled out, leaving General Pilev and 163 Mototizavannaya to cover the retreat. (64% complete)

Österreich Army

ostfinalend.jpg

Balta: 36 Zabajkal’skaya has moved up from the rear but it does not really add to the defence. 8 Tankovaya is still the only decent unit Osyka has at the front, with the fully rested 304 Strelkovaya struggling to get forward over the dirt roads clogged with retreating infantry. Hell’s 6th Gebirgsjägers have attacked from Anan’yiv, increasing the pressure. (58% complete)

Unternehmen Barbarossa at the end of 23rd May

eastfrontfinal.jpg

Finalised Battles for Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd May 1941

Siauliai: 49/8,759: 17/25,888
Pervomays’k: 256/19,360: 402/34,327
Uman: 735/129,973: 2,394/33,993
Zhorten: 8/10,000: 13/8,999
Dobele: 2,316/11,944: 1,683/46,248
Aizkraukle: 1,853/19,127: 2,064/45,972
2nd Pervomays’k: 32/19,373: 134/8,992
4th Iwacewicze: 316/10,000: 307/34,712
Brody: 325/19,994: 401/47,192
2nd Uman: 3/19,755: 18/8,990
Haysyn: 145/19,939: 188/32,988
2nd Zhorten: 197/9,986: 45/18,996
Saldus: 4/11,983: 28/8,999
Vil’shanka: 6/10,000: 10/16,108
Ul’yanovka: 1,842/49,977: 2,263/90,626
Skalat: 2,037/38,826: 1,669/39,374
Halvoron: 466/9,852: 393/46,805

Total Battle Casualties for Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd May 1941

German: 10,590
Russian: 12,029

Prior Battle Casualties

German: 71,620
Russian: 90,048

Total Battle Casualties to date

German: 10,590 + 71,620 = 82,210
Russian: 12,029 + 90,048 = 102,077

Bombing Summary

Skalat: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 119, 168, 123, 64 (474)
Powórsk: Sperrle with 1st Kampffliegerkorps; 318, 337, 147, 231, 342, 330, 132 (1,837)
Pervomays’k: Udet with 3rd Schlachtfleigerkorps: 143 (143)
Drohiczyn Poleski: Hofffman von Waldau with 4th Schlachtfleigerkorps: 143, 179, 205 (527)
Drohiczyn Poleski: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 182, 273, 279, 167 (901)
Kaunas: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfleigerkorps: 100, 177, 200, 76, 124, 169, 181, 80 (1,107)
Alytus: Weise with 5th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 89, 123, 134, 55 (401)
Seduva: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 253, 277 (530)

Total Bombing Casualties for Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd May 1941

German: Nil
Russian: 5,920

Prior Bombing Casualties

German: 1,178
Russian: 66,413

Total Bombing Casualties to date

German: Nil + 1,178 = 1,178
Russian: 5,920 + 66,413 = 72,333

Total East Front Casualties for Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd May 1941

German: 10,590 + Nil = 10,590
Russian: 12,029 + 5,920 = 17,949

Prior East Front Casualties

German: 72,798
Russian: 156,461

Total East Front Casualties to date

German: 10,590 + 72,798 = 83,388
Russian: 17,949 + 156,461 = 174,410

I think you are missing the point of the combined arms Uriah is setting up. The Luftwaffe is eating away the red army as a wolf among sheep.

I have an UK campaign going in the same lines as Uriah is doing in this, and the RAF has eaten away the entire manpower pool of the germans in a period of 8 months.

174,410 casualties in one month is impressive, given that there has been no great envelopments. The atrittional nature of the current campaign is making the red army moving towards a massive but understrength army.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday 24th to Wednesday 28th May 1941 (Part I)

The day started well: the first document on my desk was a copy of General Kalmukoff’s report after the battle of Dobele. Although greatly outnumbered he took the province quickly and cheaply. The next report was less positive: von Bock has called off his attack on Halvoron, although his losses were minimal. Then things took a bad turn. Panevezys was a disaster, the Fallschirmjägers obviously too lightly armed to take on Sadalov’s much stronger force. But the worst was last, as we were thrown back from Kaunas after losing another 2,300 men. Von Mastein has had enough, and he has amended the objectives of Polen Army Nord, removing Kaunas.

At least our researchers are still going well, as the new engine for our heavy tanks has been completed. When reliability testing is completed we should be able to start production of a new model. The Heer is looking well ahead, as another long term project has been started. A highly theoretical study into the role of the Schwerpunkt should provide huge benefits to our military planning.

Vershinnin took five fighter brigades to Bauska, presumably to clear our interceptors and allow the VVS bombers to follow. If that was the plan it failed. Generalleutnant Waber met him with nine Jagdgeschwader and after a short series of dogfights the Russians were wise enough to retreat. Losses were not high, as Waber had trouble co-ordinating so many planes.

24airbauskafinal.jpg

Air Battle of Bauska: 24th May 1941

With his 1st Sturm-Marine Division heavily engaged in the fighting for Seduva, General Böttcher was not ready for an attack from Cherevichenko in Panevezys. Buoyed by their decisive win over Böhme’s Fallschirmjägers, 12,000 Russians have poured into Siauliai. Kesselring must have anticipated just such an attempt, however, and had sent 1.Infanterie to reinforce the province. This battle will prove much tougher than the Russians expected.

24siauliaifinal.jpg

Battle of Siauliai

After his impetuous blunder in the first hours of the invasion, General List has shown commendable zeal. He has followed orders and achieved success cheaply in his engagements with the Red Army. He has another opportunity to show his skill as he has been instructed to clear Talsi of enemy troops. Already he is advancing rapidly, reporting that only one of the Russian infantry divisions showed any ability to do more than put up a token resistance.

24talsifinal.jpg

Battle of Talsi

Just before I arrived at work there had been a dawn air battle in the East: General-Major Rog had ambushed the dive-bombers of “Gold” and “Silber” over Kaunas and destroyed quite a few aircraft. His pilots did not have long to enjoy their victory. 6th Jagdfliegerkorps was nearby and caught the Russians over Brzesc-Litovsk and had no trouble demonstrating the superiority of the Messerschmitt over the VVS fighters.

24airbrzesclitfinal.jpg

Air Battle of Brzesc-Litovsk: 24th May 1941

me109e543final.jpg

Waber had his Messerschmitts ready to go and was able to catch Rog and his three IAD unawares.

We won three battles during the day, Powórsk and Balta both being quite large. The biggest by far, however, was Tarnopol, where General Dietrich and his panzers led the defeat of more than 120,000 Russians. Losses were reasonable, if not good.

With three battles completed, three new battles began.

The first was in Zhashkiv, where General Cochenhausen sent his armoured car regiment racing across the plains in advance of his motorised infantry. They revealed that the defenders were a mix of cavalry and infantry: nothing to deter 161.Infanterie (mot) Division.

24zhashkivfinal.jpg

Battle of Zhashkiv

Next was Daugai. This was a disastrous error according to virtually every officer here at OKW. “What could have possessed Nehring to take a panzer division into that morass?” summed up the reaction. Perhaps von Manstein read a map incorrectly or Nehring thought he knew a route through the marshes. As it is, the information trickling back is all bad. The river Memel is still to be crossed, the opposite side is held by an armoured division supported by two infantry divisions (all at full strength) and, even if Nehring’s vehicles get across the river and onto the other shore, there is are dozens of kilometres of bogs and marshes, completely unsuitable for tanks and trucks. The Russians had the advantage of local knowledge and time to get their vehicles in place. There would be no such assistance for us. The most favourable prediction is that after a day or so of feints that 1st Panzer will discretely withdraw.

24daugaifinal.jpg

Battle of Daugai

mudfinal.jpg

Why we should keep clear of the marshes: a heavily bogged Henschel from one of Nehring’s motorised infantry brigades

At first glance Meise’s push into Volochy’sk is not much better. His trucks must negotiate narrow forest roads and trails and he has at least four divisions opposing him. In addition, at the beginning of his attack, his lead elements were ambushed and took heavy losses from Soviet troops hidden in dug-outs in the undergrowth. On the other hand, 345.infanterie is in good condition, and General Meise is more than a match for Zhukov. (And his skill in assaulting fortified positions is always handy). Most importantly, three of the four enemy divisions are in a bad way, having been on the receiving end of not only savage fighting, but also heavy bombing.

kfinal.jpg

Battle of Volochy’sk

Sunday was a relatively quiet day, and Gisela and I actually managed to leave fairly early for a change. While I enjoy the new job, I must admit that the Wehrmacht assumption that you are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day, can be a bit tiring.

There was good news for our infantry. The engineers of the Waffenamt have convinced the powers-that-be that we need to improve the inherent light artillery of our ground troops. The 7.5cm le.IG L/33 has served us well, but we need more firepower and more speed. The answer is the 10.5cm GebH 40. Heavier than most howitzers, its innovative carriage makes it possible to get it into action extremely quickly. With the heavy fighting in the east, we need every advantage. After the success of this program, the engineers are designing a carriage and sights suitable for the 17cm Kanone 18 being developed for our artillery regiments.

gebh40final.jpg

Our new infantry support gun: its production is being given priority. We must help our infantry as much as we can, to slow the horrendous losses.

Von Bock’s retreat from Halvoron must have been another ploy, or maybe it was a sorting out of army boundaries. It is not unlikely that von Kluge sent a firm request to Balkan Army HQ, pointing out that Halvoron was his responsibility. Whatever thereason, Genreal Kuntze and 7th SS Freiwilligen “Prinz Eugen” will finish the defenders quickly: Obukhov cannot rely on more than a few companies to obey orders.

25halvoronfinal.jpg

3rd Battle of Halvoron

The VVS was active on Sunday. Bombers did hit Kamien Kosyrski, killing 43 men. Waber’s interceptors were just too late to prevent the bombing raid, but were able to ensure that Zhiganov’s two dive-bomber units (23 and 46 ShAD) would not return. Later in the day the Russian bombers were not so lucky. An attempt to bomb Kelme saw Golovano caught by Waber as his planes approached the target area. Both 30 and 33 BAD were unable to hold their formations and scattered, leaving Böttcher’s three divisions safe, at least from the air.

25airkelmefinal.jpg

Air Battle of Kelme: 25th May 1941

As expected, General Kondrachev’s counter-attack in Luck only served to tire his men more quickly. Altrichter finished off the battle Sunday afternoon. With that out of the way, General Rommel was induced to allow von Sponeck’s 4th Panzer Division to assist Polen Army Nord by co-ordinating with Brennecke’s 73.infanterie in an attack on Skidel. The joint operation was total success, with Baranov’s two motorised and one cavalry division lasting just hours before they turned east.

25skidefinall.jpg

Battle of Skidel

Jodl and 14.infanterie would probably appreciate an easy battle. They always strike tough opposition, and Maniewicze was no exception. Already 800 men down, Jodl’s brigades face the untouched 224 Strelkovaya and 216 Mechanised Division which has benefitted from a rest after the battle for Torczyn. With a cavalry division in reserve, General Horujenko is unlikely to see retreat as an option.

25maniewiczefinal.jpg

Battle of Maniewicze

The fight for Dubno should not be so hard, though Glazunov has even more men and vehicles. 22.Infanterie has already beaten Glazunov’s best units, 9 Tankovaya and 15 Motorizovannaya at the battle of Brody. 216 Motorizovannaya only just escaped Tarnopol, and 69 Motorizavannaya has been retreating since losing the battle of Zloczów. The two divisions in reserve are in even worse shape, and General Petersen, veteran of many a hard-fought battle in the mountains of Spain, no doubt looks on this as a straightforward advance under fire.

25dubnofinal.jpg

Battle of Dubno

That was it for Sunday, other than filing the after battle reports for the three conflicts that ended towards evening. There was only one defeat, and that was really only a technical loss. Nehring did the right thing and called off his foolish attack on Daugai, though he lost 300 men before he did so. (As well as several panzers that had to be abandoned in the quagmire). Victories in Talsi and Siauliai more than made up for that.

It was a good thing that Gisela and I had taken advantage of the lull in activity on Sunday. Well, a lull in military activity. Because Monday was a day of action on the East Front. To begin with, better weather the Luftwaffe was able to get a few more missions in, despite difficulties in getting sufficient bombs to the forward airbases. But most of the action was on the ground.

ju88final.jpg

At a forest airbase near Suwalki, a Ju 88 of Kg 51 “Edelweiß” prepares to take off into skies that are clear again

Early in the day, General Kuntze told Österreich Army HQ that he had won the battle of Halboron, but he spoke too soon. Russians were still present in large numbers, in the shape of the 8 Tankovaya Division. In an embarrassing turnaround, command of the battle was taken by General Herzog of the Balkans Army, whose 36.Infanterie (mot) was the closest unit available to assist. Kuntze sent an angry message to von Kluge, insisting he had the situation under control, but perhaps he should have made sure of his victory before hitting the radio.

26halvoronfinal.jpg

4th Battle of Halvoron

Cochenhausen has won Zhashkiv, and 161.Infanterie is now the closest unit we have to Kyiv. The division did not get the attention it probably deserved, because it occurred just as von Kluge announced that the assault on Odessa had begun. General Friedrich-Willich, forced to sit outside the city when his scouts told him it was held by just 10,000 second line troops, has finally been given permission to attack. At least 2nd Gebirgsjäger Division is fully rested. They will need to be, as the Russian General Brynkov, who is in charge of the defence of the city and port and airbase, now has two full divisions, one of them a line infantry division. They have had weeks to prepare semi-fortified positions, and the men of 10th Pioniere Regiment will need every demolition charge and flamethrower they have.

26odessafinal.jpg

Battle of Odessa

General Bergmann seems to have held off announcing that he has won yet another victory in Iwacewicze. After having the cup snatched from his lips several times I suppose he wanted to ensure no counterattack was on the way. But it seems clear now that 14.Infanterie is the only effective military formation in the province. The Russians have at last it given up and the only Soviet soldiers still in sight are marching at full speed toward Janów Poleski.

After being ordered to hand over the battle of Halvoron to General Kuntze, it did not take long for von Bock and 111.Infanterie to be given a new task. 40 Kavaleriyskay have ridden hard in the three days since defeat at Ul’yanorka and are not really fit for combat. They are the only troops present in Tal’ne, hover, and Stavka must be hoping that General SV Baranov (not to be confused with VI Baranov, currently fleeing from Skidel) can pull off a miracle. (We found later that day that miracles are very rare in the modern day world of 1941: Baranov’s cavalry lasted just 8 hours before they were back in the saddle, riding as hard as they could for Novoarkhanhel’s’k).

nefinal.jpg

Battle of Tal’ne

End of Part I

You do not even have one million men in the east?

I haven't added it it up properly (I don't have the game open at the moment) but from my notes I must have, if not 100 divisions, then very close to that number. At a guess I would say bewteen 105 and 110. I don't have any combat divs lessthan 10,000 men and most PzD are 12,000. So I would estimate 1.2 million on the East Front

I think you are missing the point of the combined arms Uriah is setting up. The Luftwaffe is eating away the red army as a wolf among sheep.

I have an UK campaign going in the same lines as Uriah is doing in this, and the RAF has eaten away the entire manpower pool of the germans in a period of 8 months.

174,410 casualties in one month is impressive, given that there has been no great envelopments. The atrittional nature of the current campaign is making the red army moving towards a massive but understrength army.

I think you can safely add about another 100 - 200k to that: I have at least 13 divs trapped in Latvia/Lithuania who are going nowhere and I estimate at least 5 and maybe 10 divs overrun or cut off and eliminated.

So the Russians are down say a minimum of 300K after 6 weeks. Even they can't handle that for long.

Of course it is crippling me too but I do have the Luftwaffe to not only double the casualties I cause but alos to keep wiping org/supply off the map.

Sorry for the delay: another work committment: 10 pages of legal argument takes a long time to put together. :eek: (Much longer than 10 pages of AAR! and nowhere near as enjoyable)

So, does it feel like the balance is shifting on the eastern front yet? From reading it seems as if you are still winning plenty of battles, your MP must be taking a pounding though. Whats your IC draw for replacements looking like? Lastly, I don't know if you've had a chance to experiment with the stances, but I've found that setting to "defensive" in Russia can make your generals a bit more selective and prevent some of their more ill advised adventures

edit: FYI it has been determined that toughness and defensiveness don't actually do anything. This is due to an error in the defines.lua. From what I understand the error is easily fixable, but the entire panoply of ground units will have to be rebalanced. The end result is that you could (if you wanted to be gamey) dispense with the requisite techs altogether!

It's still looking very close run at this point, but once the Russians break, they won't reform.

I'm still not certain you'll come out on top Uriah, a lot is hinging on your air force. The good news is, if you win Barbarossa, you'll have an insanely experienced land and air army, something the allies truly can not match, and all that Soviet industry could go towards a new, shiny navy for the direct purpose of smashing the western Allies.

Kaunas still isn't taken? Ouch. How many of your troops lost their lifes there already?
At least the progress to the south and north is promising. The Red Army might break soon if the Luftwaffe can keep up the attacks.

Even if the red army breaks that doesn't mean Germany won. have you guys never just let the computer play each side? What usually happens is if one side breaks (but still has MP and supplies) the troops keep falling back and eventually reform the line.

See the key here is supplies and MP. We are not talking about pockets where the defeated troops are trapped. They have all that space to SR and reform. With the changes that retreating troops recover organization this is even more important. As long as the Soviet Union can reinforce and resupply the units they will continue to fight.

I full expect the line to break. It happens in almost every game. That is why I said Smolensk will be a key point. I can easily see the red army retreating enmass to aroud this point on the map. Two things happen then. First off units from the east start to show up along with new units. Secondly the German troops are now much farther from their supplies, those supplies are being taxed by bad infrastructure and partisans. That means the german army gets weaker the farther it moves in Russia.

Right now the fighting is within 3 or 4 provinces from the start line. Germany has airfields, supply, infrastructure all going for it. Plus the armour and infantry are fighting together. Go into Rusia another 10 to 15 provinces and things change really fast. The German units are much more scattered out. Some will be out of fuel or supplies simply due to the supply net. Few forward airbases and those are much smaller in size. Not to mention when you rebase the supply chain to get fuel is messed up for a period of time. All of this awaits the German army. This means the pressure is taken off and the Red Army gets a chance to recover. At that point the war will be determined.

I watched the computer play itself dozens of times. In many of the tests I created the initial army OOB and placed the units. Other times I let the computer handle it all. But there was a common thread in all the games. For the Germans to win they have to severely hit the red army so the MP pool is low and there just aren't enough units for them to put up a defense. In games that Germany lost it was crystal clear that the red army had a stron defensive line (usually in the north). this line eventually breaks the German line. A very common theme is to see the GErmans pushing deep into southern Russia and closing in on Stalingrad. moscow is in red hands and the Soviets make a push from the defeensive line west of Moscow heading southwest. This traps hugh pockets of German troops as the Russians push all the way to Romania.

Will this happen in this game? My prediction is yes but it is just that a prediction. It is a guess based on watching how the AI played in dozens of other games. What is different here are two important factors. First is that some troops (special forces) are human controlled. The second is the very large airforce. Will this be enough? What if the AI doesn't rebase the air units farther in? Will Italy attack from Iraq? What is the state of Soviet MP and supplies? These are the questions that will ultimately decide the war.

well to add my 2 roubles to the punditry ... first Uriah deserves nothing but the highest praise not just for the quality of the AAR but for sticking to his decision about using the army AI. I reckon that is costing him a difficulty level and will harm his manpower pool, I don't reckon it'll do a lot worse than a human in this phase (but I've tried to use it on a strategic retreat & its a pretty odd set of dynamics, oddly the army group or theatre AI does a better job of that particular task). Looking at the last situation maps, its clear that the AI is creating pockets, in the way that most players do -- by using the enemy strength against them and then enveloping those positions as you push in the weaker flanks.

I reckon that so far airpower has been under-rated in HOI. The impact is more subtle than in HOI2 and it is a lot harder to set up. Also up to SF and its later patches, the game has rarely been much of a challenge to a human player in any case. Having fought a major campaign in my own AAR without adequate air cover, I can confirm the effect is, cumulatively, horrible. Your losses go through the roof and the support brigades you rely on for offensive punch become useless.

So the big unknown here is whether airpower is the force multiplier here that will make the difference. A related question is I've seen AI Germany start with masses of bombing then go rather passive in the air - I think as the 'further-first' supply logic tends to strip airfields once the front moves to where supply becomes problematic. So it may be that beyond Smolenst-Kiyev, the luftwaffe losses its impact ... my vote is still for the hammer and sickle over the Reichstag (after we all get treated to a brilliant aar), but its the airpower thing that makes me hesitate.

Looking at the last situation maps, its clear that the AI is creating pockets, in the way that most players do -- by using the enemy strength against them and then enveloping those positions as you push in the weaker flanks.

The only issue I have with what you wrote is this one. The AI isn't creating any pockets. The only pocket that is south of Riga was created by Uriah commanding the marine and special forces. Looking at the last shown territory map in post #2386 it does not show a single potential pocket along the entire front. That doesn't include the Riga pocket since that one was man made.

None of the close major Russian cities have even been captured yet (Wilno, Minsk, Kiev, Oddessa). Only Riga and that was due to the sea invasion there. So unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what pockets you are talking about.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Saturday 24th to Wednesday 28th May 1941: Part II

With a bridgehead across the Memel at Sopockinie, von Manstein is keen to expand it. Polen Army Nord HQ has told von Salmuth to head east, but he has run into solid resistance. Four divisions block his way, and while two are cavalry, 52.Infanterie will find it tough going. Already missing 500 men, the division is heading into countryside riddled with trenches and makeshift defences. The one hope is clear weather allowing the Luftwaffe to clear a path forward.

26oramyfinal.jpg

Battle of Orany

General Schlömer also faces a tough opposition. While 15 Tankovaya is effectively useless, General Ermakov has two infantry divisions in peak condition. With Hlusa’s forests providing heavy tree cover and having the benefit of prepared positions, the Russians must feel that they can blunt the advance.

26hlusafinal.jpg

Battle of Hlusa

With reports already coming in of supply being held up in bottlenecks, Minister Bayerlein is already accelerating our road building program, despite the expense. He has told the Cabinet that while new equipment and reinforcements are important, supplies and fuel are vital. Priority is to be given to improving the ramshackle rail system and sealing the dirt roads that are what passes for a transport system in East Poland and other areas. Gangs have already left for Novyi Rozdil, Rohatyn, Tarnopol, Grójeck Jagielleonski and Lwów.

After 17 days of increasingly bloody hand-to-hand fighting in the thick vegetation of Tukums we have achieved victory. 3rd Sturm-Marines outlasted their Russian foes and General Alpers is justifiably proud of their effort. (von Brauchitsch’s 24.Infanterie which began the battle was withdrawn day’s ago and is currently marching south-west to Memel to recuperate.) The savagery of the struggle in the dim undergrowth is reflected in the casualties: nearly 5,000 of our men died for just this one province. The list of dead from Krasyliv looked quite small in comparison, though more than 600 died in capturing that province.

forestfinal.jpg

Inspecting an abandoned Russian position in Tukums, cable and other debris left in the panic

Von Förster’s battle map for Vinnytsya has gone missing (are partisans active in the rear of the Balkans Army, ambushing despatch riders?) but this is hardly likely to be a long, drawn-out conflict. Guderian has tentatively marked it as under our control by midnight on 27th in his projected time-table and there is nothing to say he will be wrong. 302 Strelkovaya and 84 Motorizavannaya are 1,150 men less than when Bieß and “Bitburg” motorised division attacked them a week ago. The situation in the area is very confused, but as far as we at OKW can make out, after losing about 1,200 men Bieß was forced to pull back as he ran out of ammunition and supplies. 25.Infanterie stepped up to take his place and look as though they will reap the benefit of their comrades good work.

If Vinnytsya is confusion, Dobrovelychkivka is an exercise in precision. With the high level of organisation for which the Gebirgsjägerkorps are becoming renowned, three Gebirgsjäger divisions have simultaneously converged on the ill-fated General Potapov. Though his two infantry divisions have not been in heavy combat, they will not last long under the co-ordinated assault.

26dobrofinal.jpg

Battle of Dobrovelychkivka

After dusk there was an unexpected message from Maniewicze. General Jodl and 14.Infanterie have shown they are unmatched at carrying tough assignments. While even the ever-optimistic Rommel had thought that it would take days to dig out the 32,000 well-entrenched Russians, Jodl and his 9,000 men achieved it in just over a day, and at a cost of just 232 men dead. Definitely a testimony to the general’s skill and his men’ ability.

We later found out that just before midnight another battle commenced, so technically it was part of the day’s activities. Even though the previous fighting had revealed that the Fallschirmjägers were too lightly armed and too few in number to undertake a major battle against enemy front-line units, General Dietl could not resist the chance to take Panevezys when he realised it was now held by a solitary infantry division with an exhausted brigade in reserve. Leaving 2nd Fallschirmjäger to lick its wounds, he has plunged his 1st Fallschirmjäger Division into battle and reports that he is making fast inroads into the forests.

26panevezysfinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Panevezys

Minister Bayerlein has been analysing reports from his transportation experts as well from various commissariat officers in the East. Armed with statistics he has gone back to Cabinet and forced his fellow Ministers to approve millions more RM for logistical improvements. Fourteen provinces are listed for an immediate start.

Despite the chaotic approach in Vinnytsya and the orderly planned exercise that took place in Dobrovelychkivka, both battles ended within an hour of each other. It was noticeable, however, that the Gebirgsjägers inflicted triple the casualties on the enemy. We also repulsed a half-hearted attempt to retake Tukums, but that was not really a battle.

That good news was followed by a succession of defeats. Petersen’s loss in Dubno was of no real concern, as casualties were few and the expectation is that he will resume the attack soon. Jurmala was more serious as this brings the trapped Russian divisions adjacent to Riga: only kilometres away from their comrades in Aizkraukle. The worst, however, was from General Böttcher in Seduva. After losing more than 3,300 men he has called off the attack, admitting that 120,000 Russians were too many for his troops to hope to overcome. To top it all off, von Kluge’s concentration on the northern end of his zone of operations (far away from his primary objective) led to the province of Troyit’ke being left undefended. A Soviet armoured division took advantage of this lapse to occupy the area, though there are signs it may not remain there for long.

Only one battle started Tuesday.and it is hoped it will be over quickly. 76.Infanterie is to wrest Zvenyhorodka from 29 Sibirskaya. General Hilpert has told Baltic Army HW he will guarantee success.

27zvenyfinal.jpg

Battle of Zvenyhorodka

Although I didn’t know it at the time (I must sleep sometime) at least the day ended well. The battle of Volochy’sk about which OKW had such doubts back on the 24th has been won. Meise and 345.Infanterie convinced more than 50,000 Russians that the forests did not contain enough cover to keep them alive. A well fought victory for one of our least experienced units.

Those brave souls in the Aufklärungsabteilung who probe ahead of our forces will be glad to hear that our armoured cars are to be upgraded. It may not be much, but the slightly thicker front hull armour of the Sdkfz 233 over the Sdkfz 231(8 Rad) could mean the difference between a ricochet and a dead crew. And the 7.5cm gun will give them a bit more security. Equally pleased will be the Jagdwaffe, as work had begun on advanced fighter pilot theory.

sdkfz2338radfinalo.jpg

Our new armoured car: Sdkfz 233 (8rad)

Even though von Manstein has been told that Kaunas is not an objective and it has been removed from the list of targets for Polen Army Nord, there must still be elements in the headquarters that want to capture the Lithuanian capital. Although no battle plan was lodged, it had become known that General Strecker and 86.Infanterie are already launching Floßsacks and bombarding the far side of the Memel. There are still only two Russian divisions in the city, but Strecker’s unit is already weak. Von Manstein may have information that the Soviets have run out of reinforcements, but it could be that the same applies to Polen Army Nord.

archfinal.jpg

Amid the wreckage of previous attempts to cross the Memel at Kaunas, men of 86.Infanterie struggle to get their fragile boats to the eastern bank

Rommel has finally reported that Frießner has won Drohicyn Poleski. This was a battle that dragged on for too long: it was the intervention of 3.Infanterie from Ratno that turned the tide. Ten days of deadlocked fighting took its toll: 103 and 106.Infanterie lost 2,500 men between them.

Perhaps in response to the heavy losses in the two Polen Armies, another division is heading to Königsberg. 44.Infanterie been detached from IX Armeekorps, Nordsee Army and ordered to board waiting trains for the journey east.

Regardless of his demands on his troops, von Manstein is still able find fresh units. 11.Infanterie is ready for combat and von Wietersheim has his orders. Seduva is to be cleared, despite the huge number of enemy troops still occupying the province. 10,000 Germans soldiers are to take on 63,000 Soviets: this will be a real test.

28seduvafinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Seduva

There was just one other item that day other than news of fresh ground attacks. Herzog claimed Halvoron as his victory, much to the displeasure of General Kuntze who believed, with some justification, that 7th SS Freiwilligen “Prinz Eugen” had done the hard work.

As predicted, Petersen’s withdrawal in Dubno was not a signal that Rommel had given up. It was just to allow the roads to clear and allow 6th Panzer access. Von Langermann und Erlenkamp is not deterred in the least that his 12,000 men are outnumbered ten to one. His first messages, sent by radio from his command half-track somewhere near the front of his columns, are all positive. In fact, he is virtually claiming victory only hours after his tanks fired their first shots.

28dubnofinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Dubno

In more good news from Polen Army Sud HQ, it seems that Ott’s 3.Infanterie, flushed with the win that they triggered in Drohicyn Poleski, have surged east into Janów Poleski and seem set to repeat their success. General Savkin has really only has one effective unit, and is trying to protech thousands of administrative troops from at least six different HQ units.

28janowfinal.jpg

Battle of Janów Poleski

Rommel’s sudden enthusiasm for attack was not over. 4th Panzer was also on the move, and it too was reporting good progress. Not only that, but von Sponeck actually has the odds in his favour, if only marginally. General Ponedelin has less than 9,000 men left to hold Szczuczyn. It is unlikely to be enough.

28szczuczynfinal.jpg

Battle of Szczuczyn

The last action of the day was in Starokostyantyniv. Guderian was not to let Rommel have the last word. General von Brockdorff-Ahlefeldt and 69.Infanterie are attacking General Trifonov’s four divisions, but again numbers are immaterial. The Russians are already showing signs of crumbling resistance and could break at any moment.

Baltic Army

29balticfinalend.jpg

Panevezys: No change. (76% complete)

Polen Army Nord

29nordfinalend.jpg

Seduva: No change other than General Leselidze has launched a counter-attack. Von Wiretershiem is not worried. (66% complete)

Orany: Muzich is making a tactical withdrawal and 209 Motorizavannaya has already moved to the rear, where it has been joined by 7 Tankovaya. Neither of these is combat capable. (33% complete)

6th Kaunas: General Hänicke has rested his men and 56.Infantiere has joined the assault from Alytus. This has given Strecker’s men an enormous lift. Could we actually take Kaunas, the city that has thrown back every attack since 19th April? (49% complete).

Polen Army Sud

29sudfinalend.jpg

Jánow Poleski: Ott is driving deep into the province, General Savkin seemingly unable to resist the advancing 3.Infanterie (mot), who report this is far easier than fighting the Spanish. With the redoubtable General Bergmann already on his way from Iwacewicze to hit the Russians from the northwest, this battle is over: the Soviets just won’t admit it. (90% complete)

Szczuczyn: No change (75% complete)

Dubno: No change, other than a major assault by 6th Panzer (95% complete)

Hlusa: General Ernakov has brought up 229 Strelkovaya from reserve, giving him four divisions in the front line. Schlömer is persisting and has launched an assault in anticipation of the arrival of 108.Infanterie from Póworsk. (29% complete)

Balkans Army

29balkansfinalend.jpg

Starokostyantyniv: No change. (86% complete)

Österreich Army

29ostfinalend.jpg

Odessa: The Gebirgsjägers have made a breakthrough, but otherwise no change. (42% complete)

Zvenyhorodka: No change. (81% complete)

East Front at end of 28th May 1941

29russiafianl.jpg

Finalised Battles for the period Saturday 24th to Wednesday 28th May 1941

Dobele: 120/9,996: 146/37,521
Kaunas: 2,286/17,533: 915/41,834
Halvoron: 29/9,386: 81/16,087
Penevezys: 1,208/17,521: 366/46,702
Póworsk: 1,005/31,986: 712/52,132
Tarnopol: 910/30,961: 1,122/121,666
Balta: 1,791/29,967: 1,084/76,198
Luck: 278/10,000: 328/25,988
Talsi: 368/9,991: 336/21,964
Skidel: 133/20,000: 322/21,231
Siauliai: 155/46,446: 445/20,732
Daugai: 300/11,728: 54/26,988
Zhashkiv: 135/9,991: 181/17,143
Iwacewiczwe: 274/10,000: 374/18,000
Krasyliv: 618/19,992: 541/31,332
Tukums: 4,889/31,993: 3,402/83,541
Maniewicze: 232/21,205: 149/32,164
Tal’ne: 24/9,680: 127/23,665
Dobrovelychkivka: 65/29,061: 175/16,998
Seduva: 3,348/48,386: 2,207/122,419
Dubno: 315/10,000: 310/161,622
Jurmala: 575/7,955: 210/13,992
Volochys’k: 558/19,078: 502/53,109
Drohiczyn Poleski: 2,483/29,990: 1,752/42,070
Halvoron: 265/49,626: 822/49,900

Total Battle Casualties for period Saturday 24th May to Wednesday 28th May 1941

German: 22,390
Russian: 16,663

Prior Battle Casualties

German: 82,210
Russian: 102,077

Total Battle Casualties to date

German: 22,390 + 82, 210 = 104,600
Russian: 16,663 + 102,077 = 118,740

Bombing Summary

Luftwaffe

Póworsk: Sperrle with 1st Kampffliegerkorps: 233, 211 (444)
Drohiczyn Poleski: Hoffman von Waldau with 4th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 105, 230, 204, 101, 296 (936)
Kaunas: Wiese with 5th Schalchtfliegerkorps: 133 (133)
Balta: Schwartzkopff with 2nd Kampffliegerkorps: 253, 77 (340)
Luck: Sperrle with 1st Kampffleigerkorps: 267 (267)
Daugai: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfleigerkorps: 122, 202, 207, 155 (686)
Maniewicze: Sperrle with Kampffliegerkorps: 170, 282, 239, 160 (851)
Sopockinie: Keller with 7th Kampffleigerkorps: 125, 173 (298)
Dubno: Grauert with 4th Kampffleigerkorps: 190, 276, 307 (773)
Dubno: Sperrle with 1st Kampffleigerkorps: 258, 404 (662)
Orany: Keller with 7th Kampffleigerkorps: 198, 233, NIL, 122 (553)
Hlusa: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 128, 225, 164 (717)
Zvenyhorodka: Schwartzkopff with 2nd Kampffleigerkorps: 243 (243)

VVS

Kamien Koszyrski: Zhigarev with 23rd and 46th ShAD: 43

Total Bombing Casualties for period Saturday 24th to Wednesday 28th May 1941

German: 43
Russian: 6,903

Prior Bombing Casualties

German: 1,178
Russian: 72,333

Total Bombing Casualties to date

German: 43 + 1,178 = 1,221
Russian: 6,903 + 72,333 = 79,236

Total East Front Casualties for period Saturday 24th to Wednesday 28th May 1941

German: 22,390 + 43 = 22,433
Russian: 16,663 + 6,903 = 23,566

Prior East Front Casualties

German: 83,388
Russian: 174,410

Total East Front Casualties to date

German: 22,433 + 83,388 = 105,821
Russian: 23,566 + 174,410 = 197,976

looks like the russkies are really reluctant to leave Lithuania.
Hopefully when the pocket gets reduced the freed troops will force them away from the river line and back to .. the other river line ^^

What about your intel/diplomacy? etc? other aspects of your epic struggle?

I hope you still have invested some money on new Panzer and Pzgr divisions. Ultimately they will win/loose the war.