• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually Taylor, if you include the goldevents.txt in the random scenario file (and I'll presume the oilevents.txt too) it will solve the problem and from what I've seen so far, it doesnt cause any errors.

Just a headsup!

Yea I noticed today that Victoria also didn't crash when including the civilize event. This is very strange because it defenitely crashed when using the first version. But it's a good thing, right? I'll have to test it some more and if it works, I will include it in version 0.3. And the other events too.

I didn't know that the world produces no precious metal at the beginning?

Taylor said:
I didn't know that the world produces no precious metal at the beginning?

Nor did I until I used your mod. :D
I guess some provinces trigger almost straight away after you start the 1836 scenario. :)

Version 0.3 is finished! Added features are:
- the percentage of uncivs can now be specified
- the maximum and minimum sizes of nations can now be specified
- you can influence how the provinces are distributed using two new parameters
- all events except historical events are now enabled.

In the next version I hope to include an option to set the mean country size but it turns out to be more complicated than expected.

About the event files: I think the reason why Victoria crashed when events where enabled was because the events should be declared only after the countries are inluded.

Brilliant update Taylor.
Look forward to starting a new game in the near distant future.
Thanks!

Cant get it to work :(

Maybe because i use Vicky 1.03c + VIP?

Lord Boreal said:
Cant get it to work :(

Maybe because i use Vicky 1.03c + VIP?

It's for V:R. :)

Shit.

That explains it :wacko:

I was really looking forward to this too :(

Sorry about that. I'm surprised the program even generates a scenario (at least, when I try it). Aparently Vicky and Ricky are still very much alike.

But it is strange to see that even when I turn off the events and put the enddate to 1920, it still won't load. I will look into this some more, but I don't know if I can make a compatible version.

First of all: my compliments, a random scenario program is just what was needed to renew my interest in Vicky :)

I am still in the progress of generating the map, at least I think so. The program has been running for about 30 minutes now after I pressed 'b' - how long does it usually take?

monsterfurby said:
First of all: my compliments, a random scenario program is just what was needed to renew my interest in Vicky :)

I am still in the progress of generating the map, at least I think so. The program has been running for about 30 minutes now after I pressed 'b' - how long does it usually take?

A minute at most for me... sounds like you should start again. :p

Alright, I noticed that running opera and winamp at the same time and minimizing the window does slow down the generator a bit... thanks for the pointer (not that I didn't think of restarting *cough*)

Edit:
Well, got it! Deleting the already generated "random" folder helped.

Last edited:
Hrm.. I've got another little question. I have tried generating a map with about 85 one-province countries and a lot of free space between them to colonize. So far, I have not been successful. Either (both variables high) they are cluttered in europe or still spread over the world. What would be the best way to make this work?

monsterfurby said:
Hrm.. I've got another little question. I have tried generating a map with about 85 one-province countries and a lot of free space between them to colonize. So far, I have not been successful. Either (both variables high) they are cluttered in europe or still spread over the world. What would be the best way to make this work?

Hmm, I don't think you can make a scenario like that at present. In connected mode, each country will almost always border another country. So a map with countries across the whole world but with empty space between them is not possible.
But thank you for pointing this out to me. I think I may have an idea on how to change this.

iraultza said:
only one question, what AI archive uses? default.ai?

Indeed, the default ai is used. In the future I may include random generated ai's :).

Sometimes I get a lot of ID and province ownership/factory ownership errors, and the game quits at January the 2nd, what's the problem?

Herr Neko said:
Sometimes I get a lot of ID and province ownership/factory ownership errors, and the game quits at January the 2nd, what's the problem?

Strange. I'm not sure but I can think of one thing: Have you tried deleting the folder "random" of the previously generated scenario, before generating a new one? The program doesn't check if there already exists a "random" folder, so it could be that the old scenario interferes with the new one (I'm not sure how though, I first thought this couldn't happen so I didn't bother programming something to prevent this)
What version of victoria do you use? Any mods?

Taylor said:
Strange. I'm not sure but I can think of one thing: Have you tried deleting the folder "random" of the previously generated scenario, before generating a new one? The program doesn't check if there already exists a "random" folder, so it could be that the old scenario interferes with the new one (I'm not sure how though, I first thought this couldn't happen so I didn't bother programming something to prevent this)
What version of victoria do you use? Any mods?

That isn't the problem, though, I renamed that specific Random scenario.
Oh, and could you try to work out the country placements to be more random? Countries end up being in the same places a lot of times.

Herr Neko said:
That isn't the problem, though, I renamed that specific Random scenario.
I'm sorry, I don't know what's the problem. On my computer I never get ID errors. Can you tell me exactly the settings you use (I presume you use Ricky 1.0 and RickRand 0.3)? Maybe I can recreate the errors then.

Herr Neko said:
Oh, and could you try to work out the country placements to be more random? Countries end up being in the same places a lot of times.
Are you sure this is not coincidence? I'm pretty sure the province assignment in this program is about as random as a computer program can get.

By the way, I'm currently not working on Rickrand. I will in the future, but I'm rather busy right now.