• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OttoVonBismarck'97

Second Lieutenant
43 Badges
Oct 4, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
Hey guys!! So i've been playing this game for a while now and I feel it needs some mods to be better, I was looking at the user modifications section but the descriptions on what each mod does and whether or not they're compatible with the latest version seems vague. The most interesting ones so far seem to be Epigoni and Reign Of The Ancients (Designed by the legendary Wiz himself)

So could anyone tell me about the compatibility issue, and what some of the other mods do?

All help is greatly appreciated

I'm not as familiar with Reign Of The Ancients. However with regards to Epigoni; it is actually a compilation of several different mods, as well as a rather large mod itself. Overall it more or less touches every aspect of the game in some way. It also adds a fair amount of provinces to the eastern edge of the map (And key areas such as Greece etc...).

According to Epigoni's description on it's main page, it is compateible with:

Epigoni Mod to the Hindu Kush Basileus Beta v2.01d for 2.36b(Beta)

However it also has plenty of links to versions that are compatible with many other versions of Rome.

Overall I would probably avoid all together, or be very careful combining it with any other mods.

Overall I would probably avoid all together, or be very careful combining it with any other mods.

Are you saying you would avoid mods all together?

Just wondering, how do you guys play this game, how do you handle saves? Cause we all know the game crashes when saves get to big in size, and mods installed only make CTD happen earlier.

Are you saying you would avoid mods all together?

No. I meant avoid combing the "big" mods with other mods. Or avoid combining mods altogether, unless they explicitly state they work together.
There's a lot of great mods out there for this game. I definitely would encourage using them if someone finds one interesting.

Just wondering, how do you guys play this game, how do you handle saves? Cause we all know the game crashes when saves get to big in size, and mods installed only make CTD happen earlier.

I haven't played Rome 2 in a while. But IIRC it was Rome 2 where you could delete a whole bunch of "character history" from your save files to reduce bloat, and ward against crashing. (I could be remembering CK/CK 2 or something though. Might be an old fourm post about it somewhere)

Reactions:
No. I meant avoid combing the "big" mods with other mods. Or avoid combining mods altogether, unless they explicitly state they work together.

There's a lot of great mods out there for this game. I definitely would encourage using them if someone finds one interesting.

What big mods are the best and most game-improving? Wiz's Mod or Epigoni?

Epigoni has a bigger map with new provinces. It stretches to north-west India and its focus is more on ancient Greece, IIRC.
ROA (wiz mod) has the same map with new provinces. And more importantly it has differnt game mehanics.
There is also Lofman's mod that is worth trying.

Epigoni has a bigger map with new provinces. It stretches to north-west India and its focus is more on ancient Greece, IIRC.

Would playing Rome be more or less fun in Epigoni than in Wiz mod or the base game?

ROA (wiz mod) has the same map with new provinces. And more importantly it has differnt game mehanics.
Same map as Epigoni or same map as the base game?

Roa has same map size as base Rome.

Playing as Rome in Roa you start at the beginning of war with Phyrus (Epirus) and you control almost the entire Italian peninsula.

In Epigoni you start as minor Rome (1-3 provinces, can't recall) because the campaign starts at earlier date.

Roa has same map size as base Rome.

Playing as Rome in Roa you start at the beginning of war with Phyrus (Epirus) and you control almost the entire Italian peninsula.

In Epigoni you start as minor Rome (1-3 provinces, can't recall) because the campaign starts at earlier date.

Epigoni sounds better from that description IMO.

Do either improve the graphics at all? :p

The game mechanics are really not that hard to understand.
If you already know how to play CK2 or/and EU4 you are half way there, if not more.
I say... don't waste your time with base game and try Epigoni or Roa.

Reactions:
The game mechanics are really not that hard to understand.
If you already know how to play CK2 or/and EU4 you are half way there, if not more.
I say... don't waste your time with base game and try Epigoni or Roa.

I concur.

Game is pretty straight forward as a Paradox game goes. Even if you haven't played the others (CK2, EU4 etc...), playing the mods aren't going to make the game really any harder to get into.
I'd recommend Epigoni myself, it's got a little bit of everything. Mostly a Rome but better kinda feel.
However I mean that in no way to diminish the others. Simply it's the one I had the most time spent on by far.

Right, now I remember there was a thread on how to erase dead characters(their history).

Yeah I wish that stuff was in an FAQ, or the thread was stickied. Only thing I remember working well to fight slave bloat.