• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vandevere

From the Great State of Denial
11 Badges
Jun 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
I just hired one who is both Paranoid and Craven.

Will that reduce his chances of getting assassinated?

AFAIK, no.

Does anyone else apart from me ignore their spymasters intrigue rating? Just shove someone you want dead in the spot and wait for him to get horribly murdered by event "on orders of"? I seem to go through 2-3 spymasters every 2 years. Having 22 intrigue or 6 seems to make no difference and I learned a while ago to NOT make my wife or kids spymaster. Whish seems pretty stupid tbh cos sometimes my elusive shadow sister wife whose totally loyal is the best candidate for the job by a mile: totally loyal, brutally effective. Yet shes dead inside 6 weeks of taking her post. /sigh.

You Need a high Intrige to discover plots in time - so traits which increase intrigue will help your spymaster to survive. But of Course there might be an even better Assassine... To survive the Assassine you Need good martial iirc (Maybe personal Combat). At least there fires an Event if you are the spymaster of your liege yourself if you have good selfdefence.

I never noticed my spy masters dying at a higher rate than any other councilor. Sometimes the byzantine emperor catches them stealing tech and blinds or castrate them, but even that doesn't happen too often.

Does anyone else apart from me ignore their spymasters intrigue rating? Just shove someone you want dead in the spot and wait for him to get horribly murdered by event "on orders of"? I seem to go through 2-3 spymasters every 2 years. Having 22 intrigue or 6 seems to make no difference and I learned a while ago to NOT make my wife or kids spymaster. Whish seems pretty stupid tbh cos sometimes my elusive shadow sister wife whose totally loyal is the best candidate for the job by a mile: totally loyal, brutally effective. Yet shes dead inside 6 weeks of taking her post. /sigh.

You're probably just unlucky, My spymaster occasionally get murdered, and sometimes, yeah, 3 or 4 in a row get murdered within 6 months of taking the job, but then I might well have on last 50 years. If you have someone you actually want to get killed in the position, send them to Constantinople to spy (if that's still the Byzantine capital). The ERE will almost always have a good enough spymaster that yours will be discovered within a couple years or so, and then most likely executed.

Don't put your wife in any council position (except advisor if you have an empowered council). Your state rating in any area is determined by your personal rating, plus half of your spouse's rating plus half of the relevant councilor's rating--but if your wife is also a councilor, you only get half her rating once, not twice.

You're probably just unlucky, My spymaster occasionally get murdered, and sometimes, yeah, 3 or 4 in a row get murdered within 6 months of taking the job, but then I might well have on last 50 years. If you have someone you actually want to get killed in the position, send them to Constantinople to spy (if that's still the Byzantine capital). The ERE will almost always have a good enough spymaster that yours will be discovered within a couple years or so, and then most likely executed.

Don't put your wife in any council position (except advisor if you have an empowered council). Your state rating in any area is determined by your personal rating, plus half of your spouse's rating plus half of the relevant councilor's rating--but if your wife is also a councilor, you only get half her rating once, not twice.
Sending them to Constantinople works even worse. I always send my spymasters to Constantinople and they are almost never caught.

spymaster survival seems random. I remember how I used to sweat over where to send them but it didn't seem to make a difference.
fore example, I'll send a spymaster with 22 intrigue to realm with a state intrigue of 12. he dies within months and never brings back any tech.
I'll pick some vassal i want dead, and i'll send him out with his whopping 6 intrigue, and lo and behold, he reports regularly with good info. and he'll be out there for years too.
I'm wondering if the difference is that one spymaster was landed, so they had money to bribe for information.

I have tended to notice my Spymasters dying more frequently lately (along with Commanders) but in my experience skill still counts for a lot. I use a personal micromod that reduces Councilor reassignment time to 3 months from 6 so I tend to use them a lot as scouts in enemy territory (they reveal all armies in the same and all adjacent provinces), so I do get more "disappearing" Spies than normal.

wait, why do you spymaster die in the first place, what are you guys doing with them?

I just have my Spymasters Scheme in my Capital, to keep an eye out for plots...

wait, why do you spymaster die in the first place, what are you guys doing with them?
plot defending in the capital. Think its called scheme?. Every couple of months you get an event that such and such a vassel tried to kill me my liege! and you can hush it up or expose him. Although exposing it doesnt seem to do anything. then after a bit your vassels who are plotting must get an event to send thugs after your spymaster and if they succeed your spymaster dies.

I used to think just having happy vassals would help, but they dont want to kill ME. They are plotting against random courtiers or trying to bump off family members, or fabricating claims. Its all harmless stuff I dont care about, but they still kill the spymaster. Really frustrating.

When you expose someone, you have a reason to arrest them. If you try to arrest them, they can either surrender or rebel and fight you, in which case, once you win that war, they'll be your prisoner and you can revoke up to two of their titles without tyranny. From there, well, there's a lot of things you can do with prisoners. Myself, I'll usually just toss them in the oubliette and forget about them.

For the spymaster, I usually study tech in Constantinople so they die a bit more than the other councilors but that's because Byzantium seems to catch every disease in the game.

Women and children get house arrest and a Heritage education if possible, then are ransomed or released if their liege can't or won't pay. Men get the dungeon, or the oubliette if they are a particularly evil or troublesome rebel. The worst of the worst get torture plus oubliette (I have game rule set to not release after prisoner actions), this is usually enough to kill them within a few months, tops.

My conscience is clear.

Haha I'm going to do this, a lot of times when I conquer something from a foreign government and its within one of my dukes de jure duchies I'll stick a problem person in as count and watch him get captured and usurped

Last edited: