• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ShadeThorn

First Lieutenant
39 Badges
May 17, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
So how does one win these wars? you start out with negative warscore and capturing territory does not improve this. I just lost a war to defensive pact even though I had the target fully captured plus their capital and had won every single battle up to the moment I was forced to surrender. They never captured any of my demesne and had no prisoners. So what gives?
Who do you pick on to win these wars? should I try to destroy the strongest army in the pact?

all you have to do is meet the conditions of the Casus Belli. IE conquer the territory and a battle with the land owner most of the time.

Easiest way to win these wars is have mercs and retinue already on the move. Declare war when they are a day away from the targets. You basically want to have the war won by the time the doomstack get organized. The bigger the war you are trying to fight the harder it is to win these big defensive pact wars until you become actual hegemon

all you have to do is meet the conditions of the Casus Belli. IE conquer the territory and a battle with the land owner most of the time.

Easiest way to win these wars is have mercs and retinue already on the move. Declare war when they are a day away from the targets. You basically want to have the war won by the time the doomstack get organized. The bigger the war you are trying to fight the harder it is to win these big defensive pact wars until you become actual hegemon
yeah I had my retinue in place before I declared.
When I checked the warscore breakdown, it was giving them loads of warscore for sieging some backwater tribes that didn't even belong to me.

I also found out that I could enforce the piece and against Byzantium despite having negative score.

If you had your retinue in place, how could they siege some backwater tribes before your retinue stormed all the target's holdings?

If your war target was a duchy within a large kingdom, then it was probably not a good idea to declare in the first place, unless you could easily defeat all its allies too. I used to block all the paths from Byzantium and Italy before declaring holly wars on Francia.