• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Adamgerd

Colonel
77 Badges
Jan 1, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • For the Motherland
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
I have a question. Is Prussia Or Austria better to form not just Germany, but greater Germany? As I am planning to create an air and am unsure which country of the 2 to pick. Also does this change if I have PDM added or /gsg/ mod or Historical Project Mod? And is vanilla easier or harder than one of the 3 mods? For experience, I only played Japan yet until the end, forming the 5th greatest power, but just played Austria a bit until 1847

From what I understand, Austria has a limited window for creating the South German Federation and then annexing it before it reaches GP status. Prussia/NGF/Germany can conquer Austria over a much longer timespan, although it's got problems if AUS creates the A-H Empire before Prussia can force it to spin off Hungary as an independent state. The last time I played Prussia, Austria managed to form A-H early, which I believe made a later Greater Germany impossible.

From what I understand, Austria has a limited window for creating the South German Federation and then annexing it before it reaches GP status. Prussia/NGF/Germany can conquer Austria over a much longer timespan, although it's got problems if AUS creates the A-H Empire before Prussia can force it to spin off Hungary as an independent state. The last time I played Prussia, Austria managed to form A-H early, which I believe made a later Greater Germany impossible.
Oh, the SGF can become a Great Power. Oh, I didn't think of that. Anyway you don't need to form it to form Germany as Austria

Prussia.

That depends, Prussia is easy you can form GER by 1843. Austria is more of a challenge. What I did to for the German Empire as Austria:
*Fabricate for Schlesien, ally France and maintain your sphere of WUR, BAD, BAV AND SAX.
*Declare war and crush Prussia with France's and all your allies help. Don't knock them down below great power as they will loose their sphere which you don't want happening.
*Sphere Denmark or conquer Schleswig
*Research nationalism and imperialism to get the admit hegemony CB
*Declare war on Prussia using admit hegemony but try to keep your armies out of flight. Let France and your allies do all the work as you want France to be weak for the next part to work. Occupy all of Prussia and its allies. Wait till they drop to secondary power and add them to your sphere via wargoal. You should try and lower your relations with France below 100 by now.
*After war is done fabricate on France. Dissolve alliance and ally UK if possible of not your allies and mobilised bridgades should be enough to make France give up Elsas.
* Three hurrahs for Germany!

Also I am a bit mixed on whether to use a mod for it as as a demo I played Austria until 1947, defeating Prussia just to see how hard is it, would you recommend to use a mod or vanilla for it keep in mind this is my second vic2 if you don't count my first demo? And I don't really care about the added complexity, more if the events make the gameplay better and in that case which of the 3 mods would you recommend

Last edited:
You should play HPM since it's actually updated for the latest version. I remember liking PDM Divided by Zero more but the new patch made it incompatible. /gsg/ might be good, but I've never played it. Germany takes longer to form in HPM, PDM, and probably /gsg/, because you need State & Government tech unlocked (or maybe even a later one? I haven't played a Germany game in years). Also Austria gets a lot of events which can change your game a lot.

You should play HPM since it's actually updated for the latest version. I remember liking PDM Divided by Zero more but the new patch made it incompatible. /gsg/ might be good, but I've never played it. Germany takes longer to form in HPM, PDM, and probably /gsg/, because you need State & Government tech unlocked (or maybe even a later one? I haven't played a Germany game in years). Also Austria gets a lot of events which can change your game a lot.
I don't have the newest patch though, since I am playing on Mac, not windows so the patches are delayed by 1/2 a year to a year for me for Victoria 2 as it's not on steam for Mac, unlike EU4 or HOI4 which are on steam for Mac

Prussia 100%, if playing HPM wait for the Hungarian revolt to happen then move in for the kill.
You don't even need to 100% take down Austria just mortally wound them by forcing them to let go of Hungary, other parts of the empire such as Venice will flake off leaving them weak so when your ready you can swoop in.

ummm There is a 3.04 fix that someone posted that makes it playable again.