• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Overall, very good idea and I have been thinking the same way for some time. I also suggested "cultural kingdoms" (see my signature) with similar goal. Is it true that every duchy MUST belong to a de jure kingdom, engine-wise?

No, it's not a problem gameplay wise, your proposal makes sense. I just think (I could be wrong) that it's impossible to mod in at present, so it would need Paradox to change the hardcoding.

One gameplay issue could be the fact that the AI expands in crazy ways so you could get weird, patchwork de jure borders (although you already get that with the current de jure drift sometimes). Maybe make it so that formed kingdoms have to use land in the same broad geographical area.

Is that so? I know for certain that there hasn't always been empires covering all counties de-jure, was it not the same for kingdoms? Has there always been kingdoms de-jure covering all counties? Is it hardcoded somehow?

As for AI expansion.. Yes, that's something which must be taken into account. Preferably, there should be other, more realistic, ways of making the AI expand in a sensible manner. I don't know if this is possible somehow on the enginge, but if the AI would take stuff like how rich the county is, what culture and religion it has, how defensible it is etc that would be good, and it would make the AI expand realistically. There were reasons realms for why kingdoms expanded as they did historically, and one gets the best and most realistic result in-game by trying to model those historical reasons. That there was a de-jure swedish kingdom was for example not the reason Sweden got the borders it did.

Overall, very good idea and I have been thinking the same way for some time. I also suggested "cultural kingdoms" (see my signature) with similar goal. Is it true that every duchy MUST belong to a de jure kingdom, engine-wise?

It does indeed make sense that if you are the ruler of all irish, you could reasonably call yourself king of the irish, and thus your kingdom be the irish kingdom. But sometimes, your new kingdom does perhaps not have a majority culture and in those cases, I think it would be good if Paradox implemented some kind of "region" division (like they had in EU3 for various purposes). The purpose for it here would be so that kingdoms could always have a region to be named after. Or something like that.

Or in the upcoming expansion ^^

One can certainly hope!

That's more regarding the title of rulers, whilst my proposal is about the actual kingdoms. I suppose, in an ideal ck2, the rulers should be able to name their own titles.

No, I'm referring to the rank, not the name. My typos may've made it unclear.

I'm saying that any count should be able to create a titular duke, king, and emperor title, the same way titles are created now. And so long as that count-turned-emperor can defend his or her title, they should be able to keep their one-county empire.

No, I'm referring to the rank, not the name. My typos may've made it unclear.

I'm saying that any count should be able to create a titular duke, king, and emperor title, the same way titles are created now. And so long as that count-turned-emperor can defend his or her title, they should be able to keep their one-county empire.

That's certainly another interesting idea, though it could lead to some odd results couldn't it? I imagine every weak soumenusko count who is surrounded by other equally weak counts would all brand themselves emperors, and that's not really reasonable.

That's certainly another interesting idea, though it could lead to some odd results couldn't it? I imagine every weak soumenusko count who is surrounded by other equally weak counts would all brand themselves emperors, and that's not really reasonable.

Yea, I agree. Sounds like medieval Europe to me: a 'king' every five miles. But the Manden emperors for instance? Just 'chiefs,' some have the gall to call them, even though their country was the size of west Europe put together.

So history wasn't really reasonable. Few 'nice borders.' I thought that was the point of your suggestion.

I think you could actually easily do this via modding. In order to meet the requirement of being in a kingdom you can simply use a kingdom that represents "independent land" and make it non-creatable.

Yea, I agree. Sounds like medieval Europe to me: a 'king' every five miles. But the Manden emperors for instance? Just 'chiefs,' some have the gall to call them, even though their country was the size of west Europe put together.

So history wasn't really reasonable. Few 'nice borders.' I thought that was the point of your suggestion.

Then there's the problem that historically, there wasn't a standardised 5 tier system of titles like there is in ck2, and especially not one that stretched from india to mali to england to samarkand. A king of wales certainly isn't comparable to a shah of persia, nor is any of them the same as a mali mansa. Perhaps there's room to make that system more fuild and flexible too. I haven't thought much of it though.

Gotta say I like your thoughts on this matter and I honestly I'm kinda hoping the new expansion includes a massive overhaul of the De jure CB and warscore systems as after playing EU4 and even Vicky 2 they CK2 just seems way lack luster and non flexible, while also not at all limiting. I mean its really a matter of having the good CB or not. As a Tengri or say the Caliph its a joke how easy it is to take kingdoms.

As for the De Jure borders I agree something needs to be done, now I'm not sure about the De Jure Duchy map but for De Jure Kingdoms and De Jure Empires I think that you are right about many places starting out with no de jure and just a titular title that can be made with enough size, however I actually ask for 1 important change. I think De Jure drift should be made quicker and easier maybe even by individual county and not by duchy. I find it pretty silly that 200 years into the game places like Georgia and Sicily are still De Jure of Byzantium even though they haven't ruled those lands in centuries and havent even really tried to