• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just press F11 during the game. It'll save them to a screenshot folder right alongside your savegame folder.
I've always known about that feature but never used it. I am old school and just print screen, paste on paint then save or just take a picture with my phone so i can post it from there. resolution and quality is pretty good for how small the files are with f11

990 AE with Spain and 800+ with Britain, Portugal and Scandinavia
eu4_17.png

At 5k dev France is the second largest nation
eu4_14.png

I also never used f10 before
eu4_map_BOH_1813_11_22_1.png

2.5 million rebels are no match against my 99 lv8 forts
eu4_11.png

Russia at its peak after taking Bejing
eu4_13.png

Attachments

• eu4_9.png
    eu4_9.png
    3,8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
My first Holy Roman Empire ever:

20240325145352_1.jpg

Started the game as Hesse.

20240320162650_1.jpg

Allied with 3 electors early in the game - Trier, Mainz and The Palatinate. They remained reliable backers of Hessian emperorship throughout the game. Got voted in as emperor already before 1460, if I remember correctly. After the Austrian emperor died. Cologne, another elector, was eaten up by its neighbours and Austria, who still held emperorship at that time, appointed Wurzburg as a new elector to fill the vacancy left by Cologne. Vassalized Wurzburg in a war later and usurped their electorate for Hesse.

Kept the emperorship all the way up to 1740. Only once, I came close to losing emperorship when a middle-aged ruler had no heir. A random event prompted me to accept a female heir. I was aware of the meaning of Pragmatic Sanction, checked if requirements for the national decision had been met. They were and I accepted the female heir. It was a right decision, because the ruler died soon afterwards.

The Reformation happened unexpectedly early in this game. Already in 1495, a CoR in Goslar, right next to my border, popped up. Was far from completion of Religious ideas by then. But eventually, I managed to neutralize any CoR in HRE and also managed to prevent Religious Turmoil in Hesse. 2 CoR-s remained out of reach - one in Stockholm, another one somewhere in Scotland.

Experienced 2 major setbacks which delayed the reforms quite a bit. The first time, lost 40 Imperial Authority when I failed to "rein in" Italy by 1490. My mistake, I simply forgot it. The second time was even more costly. Should have paid attention to Brabant's blobbing activity to realize that they were in a process of forming Netherlands. I did not pay attention and it cost me 60 IA which I had accumulated for Landfriede reform which I was planning to pass as soon as final 2-3 heretics had been converted. So I had to start over again with Landfriede. Abandoned the plan of converting every heretic in the empire, because despite any forced conversion attempt, the heretics kept sporadically popping up long after Age of Reformation was over. Also, it seems that there's no point storing more than 50 IA anyway, because everything would be used up by a reform. Those 2-3 heretics were no longer an issue anyway, because by then, I had adopted Court ideas which increased IA accumulation rate.

20240325145318_1.jpg

Should have taken Offensive instead of Defensive as the first military idea group though. Then the wars would not have taken so long due to improved Siege Ability.

I think, Landfriede reform and another one - Revoke the Privilegia - were the most challenging ones. For the latter one, I improved relations, waited for AE to cool down as much as possible and scrapped every source of Diplomatic Reputation I could - policies, the advisor, the Papal action. Tried to keep as many vassals as possible. 33 or so vassals remained.

The last reform was easy, because the vassal swarm would back everything anyway. Once the country was united, it was business as usual. Relentless conquest that one can start feeling bad about. Had to abandon monarchy and adopt a Republican system because of a ruler and heir like these:

20240320231907_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Well, finally I did my first World Conquest:
Screenshot 2024-03-26 203052.png

I do like the date - 1683 - the year of the Second Siege of Vienna, more or less the beginning of the downfall of the Ottoman Empire. Well in this iteration, Austria became a quite loyal eyalet.

eu4_2.png

The run started quite smoothly. I went with the usual circling of conquests of the Ottomans, no really big challenges, although some of the larger wars were annoying (as usual my runs are on VH). I heavily relied on eyalets and some regular vassals. I Diplo-vassalized as much as I could (including released vassals from peace), thanks to turning them into eyalets there is no limit on that.
I think it is quite visible here in the 1500 where I already have subjects around the Mamluks and Timurids and the farthest being Kuamon in India. The Mamluks would become an eyalet very soon after this screen.
As you can see France got the Burgundian inheritance - but released the lowlands and Austria failed before any involvement from my side and was replaced by Bohemia (who later also became HRE only to lose it by converting to protestant AFTER winning the league war).
eu4_3.png

After the Commonwealth was formed I relatively quickly gobbled it up with Reconquest wars (the various releasables and of course Lithuania). In my first Post-Domination Ottoman run the latter was quite troubling, as the OPM eyalet I released was annexed in a separate peace making the war largely mute. That was rather bitter lesson to learn how eyalet works. This time I payed much more attention to that, either by not calling them into wars (immediatly) and/or by making sure they do not get sieged down. As you can see I also gobbled up much of Muscovy and Spain through reconquest wars. I took Granada for myself with the rest to the various subjecs. Granadaof course for the Alhambra: the Crown Jewel of my heavy monument hunt which I was also going on --> see my foothold in SEA.
BTW France, Bohemia and Malwa are my strategic allies, largely to avoid coalitions.
eu4_5.png

Flash foward to 1650.
After a series of relatively straight forward wars with a certain focus on Africa (a lot of Diplo-Vassalization there) and India, SEA and China, I delayed my next war against Spain and my first war against France a bit by going through the Ottoman disaster. Before, I took some time to think whether I should do the disaster, and relatively quickly decided I would like to go through it to not bother about decadence anymore, to get the rather meaty boni and most importantly for roleplay. A challenge there was to find good information, the YT reviews mostly focused on the release version of the disaster, which got toned down later and the Wiki had all the information, but lacked a bit the structure / strategy behind it. There was also no guide to find. Well I got some support here on the forum and then shared my experience: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ottoman-disaster-or-not.1616055/

The biggest challenge shortly before the 1650s was the global war against Spain. As I only started preparing a few months before the truce ran out I was not ideally prepared. My armies and even more so my navies where quite out of position (in the Indian Ocean mostly). It was clear I would need to go for the Americas in this war and I did not have a foothold yet. It was quite a challenge to get some armies over to Brazil and I challenged for a long time to secure my bridgehead there, as the armies of the vast Spanish-Portuguese colonial empire poored in on me (Portugal was inherited). Which meant at this point basically everything south of California / Texas. This even involved a mercenary company and things like supply depots to speed up reinforce speed. I had some limits on my sailor pool. The main challenge though was simple my attention. With the main focus on America, I did not have much time to control my armies in Africa, South East Asia and the little islands in the Pacific. I chased a single relatively small army in East Africa probably for years because I simple forget about it, it even managed to take a fort there.
I took footholds in all the colonial regions (To get a foothold, but also to weaken them a bit and have a colonial nation there - I was afraid they would go independent which happened to the 2 French colonial nations around that time - one of which became the French-speaking United States ruled by a King (!) Louis.

After the war I took several months break of the run (partly of EU4 in general) because it was too tedious. I also noticed I need to replace my usual watching YouTube / Documentaries / Sitcoms next to EU4 with either the in-game music or just listenging to music. This legendary Nightwish concert was my main driver to continue with the run:

eu4_9.png

Well it is time to gobble up. At this point all the Americas are mine. Fortuantely neither Spains nor England's colonies gained independence despite high LD. Despite having practically unlimited ressources in termns of money and manpower, all wars in the Americas were still tedious, especially the war where I finally took the remaint of Spain and with it all its colonies. The huge distances and the large number of provinces just cost a long time and quite some focus to control the many armies and to either avoid or defeat the enemy.
At this point I am even slowing down conquests on some of the bigger targets as I am waiting for Tech 23 and imperialism. I largely went one war after the other, although still in relatively quick succesion, being often far over 200 % OE without problems. I try to avoid truce-breaks - that also required some attention to conquer the tributaries before I would "inherit" them. The largest remainder are my 2 long-time allies Bohemia and Malwa, as well as Ming (which emerged as rebels from Emperor Oirat and also reconquest large bits of it in the final years of the game), Japan and Oirat. At some point earlier in the run I left Oirat in peace for a while hoping to see Yuan, but that never happened. All of these I could take in one war with Imperialism (At least Bohemia would have required 2 wars otherwise).

eu4_10.png

The final moves were using Imperialism to take the last islands in the Pacific and some tribes in New Zealand. A long the way I got quite a couple of achievements - 14 in total.

The main challenge was really keeping going, especially in those tedious wars against the colonial powers. These already stopped my 2-3 previous attempts (although one of which was "serious").
Actually I also think that going a bit slower might have made it a bit less tedious, as especially Imperialism is a big QoL factor as well.

Edit: Woops this became longer than I planned :)

Attachments

• 1711487061362.png
    1711487061362.png
    148,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1711487036064.png
    1711487036064.png
    293,7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1711486973849.png
    1711486973849.png
    203,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1711482614587.png
    1711482614587.png
    214,9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Empire of Mann achievement:

eu4_89.png

eu4_90.png

Vassals: HRE incl. Norway, plus Syria, Ramazan
Junior Partner: Russia
Allies: Delhi, Papal States

Strategy:

Mostly followed The Blobber's speedrun strategy but with a few important changes particularly economy actions while initially playing England.

Start as England. Sell Maine to Provence. Chill until about 1448, while focusing on Admin and earning ducats. Ally Castile and Austria. Sell all ships to anyone who wants to buy for max prices. Delete cavalry and keep 20 infantry, turn off army maintenance. Delete forts.

You need to save up enough admin to move your capital to Gloucester and to raise stability (but not yet) a couple of times.

In 1448, release Normandy, Gascony and Cornwall. Feed Calais and Alencon to Normandy. This will complete a mission for a free stab. Don't use it yet, keep the window open for now. Centralise dev from Normandy and Gascony to London. Move your capital to Gloucester. You will probably get another free stab if the event for the End of the Hundred Years war triggers too. Save it until you need to use it if you get it.

Release Mann (obviously) and grant the following provinces:

Pale, Lancashire, Chester, Sheffield, Montgomery, Shrewsbury, Coventry, Derby, Lincolnshire, Leicester, Oxford, Sussex, Essex, London, Bedfordshire, Norfolk.

Place one infantry in each of these provinces except London (none) and also put 4 in Mann. Seize London back from your vassal Mann. This will raise liberty desire in your vassals.

Give the rest of your provinces to Cornwall, leaving just Gloucester and London as English provinces with your capital in Gloucester.

Declare war on your Manx vassal. This will drop your stab to -3. Stab up to -2. This first war will just take 1 month to complete because the Manx fort will have an empty garrison and you have troops waiting on it and every other Manx province. In the peace deal take Pale, Isle of Mann and the western half of the originally English provinces back from Mann. The Manx capital will move to Norfolk and again it will have no garrison.

Declare a second war on your Manx vassal immediately. This will again drop your stab to -3. Stab up to -2. Rush to Norfolk before it gets a garrison and spread out to occupy the remaining Manx provinces. Win second war a month after starting it. Full annex Mann in the peace deal (i.e. take remaining eastern provinces).

Delete all English troops (you sold all the boats earlier). Dissolve any alliances. Take free stab from events. Stab up as far as you can with admin points. Release Mann as a vassal (again) and this time select to play as Mann.

The bigger the English treasury at this point, the bigger your starting treasury will be when you switch to playing as Mann. A coalition will already be forming against England. It will fire almost immediately after you start playing as Mann. Don't build any units yet, just let the coalition occupy everything, because they'll almost certainly force England to release Mann as an independent nation in the peace deal.

If a second coalition (and possibly a third) formed against England during the time it took the first coalition leader to peace out and release Mann as independent, you'll have to buy your way to white peace using ducats against these ongoing extra wars. If you're lucky, the first coalition will move quickly enough that there won't be other coalition wars on the go when you become independent.

As independent Mann, release Wales from Montgomery and Northumberland from Sheffield. You can declare on Cornwall for reconquest of cores of your two new vassals which makes for some fast growth and also helps to boost your early force limit. Take on Irish minors for easy expansion and by the time you've conquered Ireland, you should be able to take on Scotland soon thereafter.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
That's one of the biggest AI Syria I've seen. I'm assuming you destroyed the Mamluks when you took Cyprus from them. Also looks like you kept Austria from blobbing and kept Europe at a standstill
Syria is my vassal, not AI. I expanded them to get the islands of Bahrain and Hormuz.

I took Cyprus while they were allied to The Knights, at the same time I took Rhodes. The Ottomans destroyed the Mamluks.

Much later when I fought the Ottomans I took a couple of provinces from them and released Syria and Ramazan to do some reconquest for cores wars a bit later.

Last edited:
Accidentally posted on the Strange screenshots thread so im reposting on here.

My first Ironman run.
Vassals:Bulgaria, Finland, Prussia, Hormuz, Mewar and Bahmanis.
All Missions completed
Constantinople is the largest city in the world at 77.
Force Limit (1600) is double from 2nd place(Shun 800)
Max Manpower (1.4M) 2nd Place (Westphalia 430K)
Monthly Income (2.5M) 2nd place (lubeck 955k)
Own Development (12,000) Vassals (1,600) 2nd Place (Shun 3,200)
Score 21K with just Admin and Military (Diplo 13th place, no navy) 2nd Place Great Britain 15K, 3rd Place Ottomans 11K

eu4_29.png

Started as Ajam and spent the 15th century consolidated the Persia Region to get claims from the mission tree and stalling the Ottomans.

Persia allied the Ottomans to attempt to keep them busy and to join their wars against the Mamluks to siege down Cairo before they could get the event, managed to stall the Ottomans for nearly a century but after the 4th war they managed to beat Persia to it and they invaded Cairo in 1520.

Meanwhile Muscovy quickly become a threat knocking at my door. Allied Uzbek to stall Russian expansion into the steppes. France was given Barcelona in the Treaty of Paris of 1500. The Commonwealth and Autrian Empire formed.

eu4_33.png

The 16th century marked an era of Persian expansion in almost every direction, especially in the north with the fall of Moscow in 1592.

Attempted to quickly invade the Golden Horde to prevent the formation of Russia but failed. Persia vassalized Nogai to push back Russian expansion in the south giving its cores back, also Persia noticed the Ottomans were stagnant and weren't invading Arabia so Persia vassalized Hormuz to stall Ottoman Expansion in Southern Arabia. Austria then became Persias next threat having PUed Hungary and Bohemia and allied to the Commonwealth. Used the Ottomans to distract Austria while Persia Invaded the Commonwealth.

Meanwhile in the East, Shun was quickly consolidating China and Bengal formed an empire in Asia. In the West Genoa invaded North Africa and a strong Papal States invaded Naples. Sweden, and Venice were gaining steam.

eu4_34.png

The start of the 17th century marked the beginning of Eranshahr.

Simultaneous contact with the Orthodox, Catholics, Coptics, Fetishist. Sihks and the Hindus that merged with the Sunnis, Ibaldis and Shias created a very diverse empire that communicated with each other and exchanged ideas. With Persian entry in Eastern Europe the new Eranshahr started becoming involved in European politics. A strong Papal States made many Catholics question the divinity of the Pope who was trying to consolidate all of Italy and form his own theocratic empire and was focused on using Spain and Portugal to Convert the New World, leaving Europe to essentially and for themselves.

Our Archrival Austria was the Holy Roman Emperor formed a powerful Coalition with the Commonwealth and Spain called the Triple Alliance. The Triple Alliance referred to the new Eranshahr as the new scythe cutting through Eastern Europe like Attila and Genghis Khan before them. France, who did not like Austria nor Spain and was hated by the Pope with the rise of Reformist House of Bourbon, made a declaration that called the Triple Alliance "Cerberus" and a Counter Alliance was formed. Since the Ottomans had no interest in European affairs and was busy invading Northern Africa, France began diplomatic relations with Eranshahr calling them NeoScythians as a double reference to the new scythe invasion of Eastern Europe and Eranshahrs shared Iranian heritage with the ancient Scythians.

With this new alliance with Reformed France and the diverse number of different religions inside Eranshahr sharing their knowledge, Theologians in Eranshahr concluded that Zoroaster was the true Prophet and the Isrealites created the three abrahamic religions to divide and conquer and once christanity and islam became too large for them to control they further divided the religions to fight among themselves. They first created judaism by copying key aspects like monotheism from Zoroastrian to fit their own needs of power and control and attempted to erase Zoroaster from history, then they used judaism as the foundation to create Christianity and Islam. After discovering this, Zoroastrianism became the official religion of Eranshahr and people started converting to the religion.

eu4_35.png

The 17th Century marked the death of The Commonwealth, the decline of the Scandinavian , Russian and Austrian Empires, the fall of Catholicism, the peak of the Ottoman and Spanish Empire, the Rise of the French, Venician, Lubek, Gujurat, Kilwa and Prussian Empires and the fall of Krakow to Eranshahr in 1676.

Russia was being pushed into Siberia, France was given the key fort of Navarra from Spain by Eranshahr and Austria was being sliced in half. Eranshahr was consolidating most of Eastern Europe and Ethiopia. Malwa was being attacked from all sides. The Ottoman-Eranshahr alliance was beginning to sour due to religious and political differences as the two largest and most powerful empires started eying each other.

With the Commonwealth in despair, Brandenburg invaded the western parts and formed Prussia. the people in The Commonwealth lost faith in their king and overthrew him in favor for protection from a powerful Spanish heir. Austria was ousted from emperorship after being destroyed the Reformation War and the people overthrew the king in favor for protection by the Spanish heir who also ruled over the remains of the commonwealth, once the Spanish heir became king of Spain, he ruled all three thrones. Meanwhile Lubek was making its way up the Jutland Peninsula with a weakened Scandinavia. Bahmanis was beginning to fall to the more powerful neighbors and Kilwa invaded the Horn of Africa.

eu4_37.png

The Beginning of the 18th century marked the end of the Papal and Bahmanis Empires, the decline of the Prussian Empire, the fall of India, the Fall of Wien in 1712, Fall of Rome in 1742, Fall of Pest and Prague in 1746, Fall of Cairo in 1754 Fall of Stockholm in 1757, Fall of Delhi in 1760 Fall of Madrid in 1767, Fall of Constantinople in 1774, Fall of Paris in 1775 , the end of the Ottoman-Eranshahr alliance and the beginning of the Shun-Eranshahr alliance.

France started its invasion of Spain, the Ottomans started their invasion of Italy. Scandinavia was being invaded by Lubek. Shun had completely consolidated China. Uzbek and Delhi became threatened by Eranshahr. Finland accepted vassalage from Eranshahr for protection against Scandinavia and Russia. Eranshahr began its invasion of India and took Mewar and Bahmanis as vassals with Mewar bring released from Gujarat and Bahmanis seeking protection.

The Spanish monarchy suffered a huge blow after losing its Austrian capitol Wien and being completely cut in half, France was also knocking on the door of its own capitol.

Relations between the Ottoman Empire and Eranshahr have grown hostile with both sides preparing for war after the Eranshahr invasion of Aq Qoyunlu, the stage was set for the war against the two most powerful empires in the world...

eu4_38.png

The Ottomans are being destroyed by the might of the Persian army who took Cairo in 1754 and were on their way towards Constantinople while Spain was being decimated by France and Portugal separately. Delhi stood no chance against Eranshahr while Uzbek was able to use the steppes and remoteness in their favor to resist a quick integration and Austria Lost the Capitols of its two former union partners with Pest and Prague in 1746. The Commonwealth was dissolved and officially became part of Spain. Lubek continued its invasion of Scandinavia. Venice began consolidating Italy with the Fall of Rome in 1742.

eu4_39.png

The Ottomans lost against Eranshahr losing all but Tunis and its western Balkan claims losing Constantinople in 1774. Bulgaria seceded from The Ottoman Empire to join the Eranshahr Empire as a vassal state. To aid with its invasion of India Eranshahr gave the lands to its vassal Bahmanis as its people were used to its type of administration. Kilwa was pushed out of The Horn of Africa Austria essentially disappeared under Eranshahr and Venice rule. France took the Spanish Capitol of Madrid in 1767 but lost Paris in 1775 in a war against Burgundy and the newly formed Westphalia Empire that used to be the Palatinate Empire. Bengal is being obliterated by both Eranshahr and Shun. Shun began consolidating Indochina. Nogai was formally annexed into the Eranshahr Empire. Venice form the Italian Empire and began consolidating the Italian Peninsula. Lubek began consolidating Scandinavia as the took the capitol Stockholm in 1757. After consolidating all the lands between China and Europe, Eranshahr has become one of the largest empires in history and has been dubbed by many people as the Middle Kingdom or Eurasia.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Nice! About that "fall of catholicsim":
Can we get a religion map?
unfortunately i dont have screenshots of them during the campaign but here is the end result of Europe.
eu4_40.png

as you saw i decided to form Eranshahr and convert to Zoroastrian in the mid-game at the start of the 17th century.. which is a little late especially since i only had two missionaries with no religious ideas, the reformation center disappeared after only a few years and my empire was already large. My religious situation wasnt really a forced conversion of subjects but more of a gradual and natural generational change because of its tolerance, kinda like what we are seeing in real life today with people naturally trending towards moving away from establish religions and leaning more towards atheism, agnosticism, spirituality and nondenominationalism. Venice was going to annex catholic Naples, Scandinavia was getting invaded by Lubek and both Austria and Spain were obliterated. Revolutionary Portugal was going to be the only surviving Catholic nation in Europe while two colonial nations that used to be owned by Spain in North America kept Catholicism alive. Catholics completely lost the Reformation War and the Papal States is gone. France, Burgundy and Westphalia formed the core of Reformed while Venice, Lubek and Saxony formed the core of protestant. In this timeline Catholicism and Islam religions that couldnt survive in a diverse environment as the only way those two religions can survive is through force and intimidation while its sole purpose is to control and enslave people. Reformed and Protestant both took aspects of Catholicism but removed the tyranny of the Pope and gave people more freedom for self interpretation to practice religion in their own way.

• 2Like
Reactions: