• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As you said, TheArchMede :

I started to really get the upper hand over them while I was in the middle of the process of Westernization, and I figured out I'd better keep them under control, but without colonizing because I needed to recover from stab hits as fast a possible - and for that purpose I'd better not expand my territory. Then I formed Hindustan and the wars to recover my cores took a few more years (not that they were difficult at all with my modernized army, but big countries like Rajputana and Bihar had to be occupied for a while until they accepted full annexation). The Timurids remained under my control all this time. Truce would only last 5 years whether I made them pay tribute or concede defeat and I wouldn't bother starting a fight all over. In the meantime the Mamluks got in touch with the Tiimmies and they were very likely to start colonizing theses provinces if I released them. Right now I'm thinking about ending that long war though, because revolt risk has gone through the roof, it's annoying and I have other plans (attack Tibet and make my way to China).

Good job with NL, I never thought of colonial wars as a handy replacement to holy wars for a cheap BB CB. Shall we have a world map when you're finished ?
Have one now, its probably more interesting than the final one.
EU3_49.gif

There are modest amounts of China and Japan unconquered, a few OPMs and a lot of Russia to the east.
Norway has a little bit of N America, which is just visible on the NW of the map. A couple of Castillian colonies cling on to the Pacific coast.
There's nothing but a bit of France in Chile in S America.
Swahili still has some of the East Africa coast.
There are about 685 provinces requiring ships to collect their tariffs with a fair amount of uncolonised interior.
England and Castille are fighting one another, which means I don't have to fight them in this round. England will keep Granada, but the rest of their overseas "Empire" will be snaffled, as will the northern half of England. Thuringia is a vassal mission target. Austria is paying the price for being an ally of England as is Venice.
Iraq owns spice provinces and will be annexed shortly, leaving just one non-Dutch spice province. Can you spot where it is? Also hiding somewhere in this map is the Pope, can you spot him?
Castille is i) a monarchy, ii) Spanish, so all that yellow will have to be Orangified.

Why should Hindustan care who takes Timurid land?

The long occupation during Westernization is an interesting approach. I did the same annoying little war every 5 years to get my 5 prestige from them. Sadly making them pay tribute doesn't disable the automatic wars every 5 years. My latest attempt was to stack-wipe them and force them to cancel vassalizations of Khiva and Khorasan. Hopefully OPMs with land tech 17 and 22 can start taking land from the Timurids who are still at land tech 6...

Edit: new Dutch map while I was posting... Pope-finding, is that the Pope-color in Transylvania? Pretty similar to Transylvania-color, so perhaps not. Morea looks like Austria.

Looks like Naples is being weird in Copenhagen and parts of Poland. Tagging along as a Dutch ally, or some PU shenanigans?

Last edited:
Not Transylvania. That would be quite hard to arrange. Naples is just being opportunistic. Lots of countries have been picking up Baltic provinces and then losing them to others when they find themselves without an army or a navy after trying to stop their colonies going Dutch. Castille, England, Scotland, Prussia etc. as well as Naples. The Pope took over Malta from the Knights.

EU3_51.gif

The Spice Road. I thought Samarkand was the last, but there's Beijing too, so the ex-Ming Manchu are going to have to be chopped too.
EU3_50.gif

• 2Like
Reactions:
Not Transylvania. That would be quite hard to arrange. Naples is just being opportunistic. Lots of countries have been picking up Baltic provinces and then losing them to others when they find themselves without an army or a navy after trying to stop their colonies going Dutch. Castille, England, Scotland, Prussia etc. as well as Naples. The Pope took over Malta from the Knights.

View attachment 968665
The Spice Road. I thought Samarkand was the last, but there's Beijing too, so the ex-Ming Manchu are going to have to be chopped too.
View attachment 968667
Well,
Malta
was obvious now that you point it out. I should have looked harder !

Is this a Revolutionary war you're fighting against Russia ? I'm curious to know how many provinces you can grab from them in the peace deal.

Last edited:
Why should Hindustan care who takes Timurid land?
That's not specific to Hindustan, more a generic strategy ; but whenever I find myself in a position to grab Horde land (especially with GH and the Timurids) I do my best to keep it from other colonizers until I can have them for myself. Spice provinces like Fars and Hormuz are very valuable and their coastal CoTs provide some extra colonists, which makes the occupation and colonization of this territory sort of self-sustaining.

Now, in Hindustan's specific case... If I am to become the Asian superpower, I have to go for both China and Persia. China will be time-consuming, so Persia has to come easier. I don't want actual Persia or, heaven forbid, the Mamluks to take these lands, because getting a proper CB against them could be quite random.

It was a revolutionary war CB, but the actual objective is spice, so only two provinces were taken as soon as the Russians would hand them over. I suspect it would have been over 20 if I had wanted to spend the BB, but Samarkand was my only high priority province plus one to connect to it, and there are much higher priorities elsewhere for my remaining BB than Asiatic Russia.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nobody expects
EU3_52.gif

the Spanish Inquisition to conclude its work shortly after the last Castillian province in Spain is stormed.

This wasn't quite the end of Castille, at the end of the game rebels in Sweden defy the Ottomans who occupy the couple of Balkan provinces which are the remnant of Castille. Note the 820 overseas provinces, combined with the inefficiency of free trading, this has led to rather less tech at the end of game than I usually manage.
The Pope was kicked out of Malta, took up residence at the head of the Adriatic, and finished the game as a vassal. Most of the small countries bordering NL are also vassals, or recently force released in the hope of getting a vassalisation mission. Being a republic cuts down on the number of those that can be acquired, because mission targets can't be diplovassalised during truces. Vassalise Orleans is the current mission, but blocked by a truce. Wallachia is Moslem, as was the recently annexed Provence.
EU3_57.gif

I piled up the BB at the end of the game cleaning up Asia. I had to take Brunei without a CB, and there were several other OPMs too, but even though it wasn't a spice province, the price had to be paid to make Indonesia orange. Chagatai is a vassal, but I ran out of time and diplomats and BB to clean up this part of the map. The rest of Asia is orange.
EU3_56.gif

Jerusalem was seized off the Ottos right at the end of the game. I had intended to a couple of other provinces (you can see the armies that had failed to complete sieges still in place) but a level 3 fort bounced 50k infantry and I had to take what I could get on 31st Dec. There's a bit of Ethiopia still uncolonised, but everywhere to the south is orange.
EU3_55.gif

France is the only non-orange bit of S America. It almost got down to the point where picking off the cores from boundary disputes would have made it a possible vassal mission, but not quite. (3 provinces maximum for that, it has 5, 1 of which is a recent core of mine)
EU3_53.gif

EU3_54.gif

I had intended to take all of N America (or vassalise Norway if that mission turned up) but it allied a country I was at war with and ran out the clock with the truce from that.

Objectives were to play Dutch style: merchant republic, reform religion, take everywhere historically dutch, steal colonies, acquire all the spice. One of the unusual features was that a lot of the American coast was taken with colonial CBs from inland provinces that were seized in a previous war.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just abandoned a Burgundy run at around the 1500 mark, once it became boring to continue. After grabbing a couple of HRE provinces as cores, mostly via missions, I took on France with an "Obscure Documents" CB, since they were already badly stressed in a long war with England and lacking a legitimate ruler. After I declared war, Castille and Brittany declared their own wars, with several smaller countries joining them. It wasn't pretty (for France), and I had to wait for some of those wars to finish and free up some occupied provinces before I could meet the 90% war score in my own war. After all of those other belligerents took pieces for themselves, released France's vassals, liberated countries, and so on, I was able to enforce my demands......on a 3-province France. Oh well. Sometimes even when you win, it feels like you've lost.

That's not specific to Hindustan, more a generic strategy ; but whenever I find myself in a position to grab Horde land (especially with GH and the Timurids) I do my best to keep it from other colonizers until I can have them for myself. Spice provinces like Fars and Hormuz are very valuable and their coastal CoTs provide some extra colonists, which makes the occupation and colonization of this territory sort of self-sustaining.

Now, in Hindustan's specific case... If I am to become the Asian superpower, I have to go for both China and Persia. China will be time-consuming, so Persia has to come easier. I don't want actual Persia or, heaven forbid, the Mamluks to take these lands, because getting a proper CB against them could be quite random.
Sorry for the slow reply, lots of real life issues keeping me from playing these last several weeks...

Re: Asian superpower, Westernized Hindustan is already the Asian (and almost certainly world) superpower, just with their core provinces. If I get convenient CBs someday I might grab some of the richer Chinese provinces, and likewise might grab Hormuz and Fars if they're ever not Timurid. Neither one is a priority, though, certainly not at the expense of badly-needed colonists in the scenario of taking enough Timurid provinces to get Fars and Hormuz. And getting CBs would probably require Unam Sanctam, which again I don't know that I care enough to take.

Staying on topic - Kannada culture reaches Canada:
kannadacanada.jpg

I wish I could take Colonial Ventures multiple times. Between my spies and the AI Europeans being very random and haphazard about colonizing, I think I will probably get most of Canada, much to my surprise. If you're wondering about the odd color in NY/NJ, that belongs to the Hansa. Just about the only lasting consequence of a huge war involving all of Europe several years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had decided I wanted a HRE game, but couldn't think of a good objective for one, until I saw "Frank Fort" suggested for an EU4 achievement. Playing as Frankfurt, take over and fully fortify France. I'm interpreting this as own every province with a French culture and put a level 6 fort in it.
Dalmatia was grabbed early so I would have somewhere to colonise from if France colonised before I was in a position to do anything about it.
Switzerland was an early opportunistic vassalisation. I inly had 6k troops at the time but got the chance to kick it while it was down with an Alliance CB and then siege it bit by bit as its other enemies handed back a couple of a provinces a time as they made peace.
France grabbed Savoy, but then imploded leading to Dauphine and Savoy revolting free and Savoy picking up Liguria (but not Savoie or Nice). Dauphine got itself excommunicated, which gave me the chance to pick up a province outside the HRE as well as force vassalising Savoy. A conquest mission got me Savoie with a core, and a diploannex mission got me a couple more cores. The Swiss vassal proving very useful for intervening here. The usual HRE vassalisation campaign continued to pick up other vassals as opportunity presented itself, and opportunities for further inroads into France also turned up as it kept trying to take on too many other big powers at the same time.
The Reformation took about 20 years from Luther to Calvin, which allowed a lot of countries to turn Protestant. France losing its main ally Austria when Austria converted led to yet another bite being taken and a lot of liberation too. France itself is currently Protestant but is powerless against a massive Catholic zealot uprising, there's a 25k army and a 10k army that are about to force it back to Catholic. As well as Austria: Bohemia, Poland and Lithunia make for a massive East European Protestant bloc. However the counter reformation followed hard on the heels of Calvin, there were just the two Reform provinces in the game at the time so there'll be nothing but an occasional OPM going Reformed.
A decent start, I got a lot more of France a lot sooner than I expected.

EU3_60.gif

• 1Like
Reactions:
France got itself beaten up by Sweden losing enough provinces to make it a vassalisation target, and then to the top of the once per decade annexation queue. Poitou is actually Swedish and occupied by Spain. I got a "save the catholics" mission to take Anjou off Sweden for a core. There is a whole lot of actual Spanish territory, The Spanish Netherlands are actually Spanish in this game as well as Provence. Spain also has a union with the Palatinate, but unfortunately never inherited them and they are in the process of revolting away at this point. (Unfortunately because the Imperial Ban would have been a juicy way to acquire them.)
There's a lot of HRE territory that is French and this takes painfully large amounts of infamy to grab when there's no core granting mission.
I switched to a monarchy and got myself elected Emperor rather than leaving the empire at this point, because the Imperial Ban on Spain is just so tempting.
EU3_61.gif

End of the 1600s. Vassals have been annexed to link up with the ex-Spanish area, and Frankfurt has a connection to the coast for the first time. Hence all the extra CoTs that merchants can get to. Colonisation is also now possible, but since the French never made it overseas, there's no need for it. The naval support limit is now non-trivial and in the latest war dozens of British ships have been sunk as a result of them sending 4 at a time to blockade Liguria. Its still only a third of Spain or GB but if they split their fleets up, they pay for it. France still isn't connected, there's a province needing to be taken off Normandy or Burgundy to do that, but they are HRE and I'm not ready to acquire another illegal province at the moment. August I steadfastly refuses to die despite all the sieges he's been sent to and will probably outlive his 9/8/8 heir. Frankfurt's army is now the largest in the world and can walk all over anywhere it can walk to. Its pretty much all over bar the mopping up at this point.
EU3_62.gif

The area with French culture. Antwerp looks to have got the culture spread to CoT event while owned by Burgundy, otherwise its just the provinces that started with it.
EU3_64.gif

All under Frankfort control, the final acquisition just completed was a diploannex of Lorraine.

All at max fortification at current tech (level 4).
EU3_65.gif

I then pushed Land Tech hard to be able to build level 6 forts as soon as possible. Land tech was about 30 years ahead of time when I got them.
EU3_66.gif

I picked up enough territory to form Germany, but some of it was still 15 years from coring. I could have grabbed rather more territory, but mostly just stuck to missions and Imperial Ban/Liberation CBs.

Final political map. Frankfort does have a little bit of India, for the decision. The pressure put on GB and Spain to force them to concede their French and Imperial possessions has led to North African, Indian and Chinese powers still being largely intact. Venice emigrated to Africa and Portugal to the Americas. Portugal then conquered a chunk of Italy, Sicily Naples and Venezia are all Portuguese. Sweden is the only significant Protestant power left. What was once a big swathe of Eastern Europe has been squeezed between Russia and Frankfurt, and suffered force conversions from my missions. Morocco colonised south very early, I'm not sure how they managed it, they had that West African coast before I had the map spread to see it.
EU3_67.gif

• 1Like
Reactions:
TheArchMede, kudos for your frank efforts on fortifying French forts !

Re: Mongol Khanate, that seems as impressive as it is masochistic! o_O
It was indeed, and the last two decades before I finally got my Chinese cores were so hellish I eventually chose the only sensible option to continue that game...

MON1518pol.jpg

Peace !

MUGMon1518.jpg

I wish there were a "Restore Yuan dynasty" unique decision for the Mongol Khanate, that would make more sense and feel pretty cool, but let's go for Mughal. I didn't keep my capital city in Delhi for too long though, I moved back to Khanbaliq as soon as I could.

MUGMon1563.jpg

The conquest of Japan and India still offered some interesting challenges after that, with the Westerners as special (albeit unwelcome) guests in Southern India. It took me a while to get rid of Castile and Hansa there.

MUGMondowJAP.jpg

MUGMon1677pol.jpg

After that I considered going furher West, on the tracks of the great ancestor Gengis Khan. I DoWed Novgorod for that purpose, but after a long and dull campaign (in the middle of which I got randomly DoWed by Burgundy seriously thinking they could conquer me at this point just because I had 3 provinces in Egypt), I felt I'd just had my share of wars for this game...

MUGMon1726NOVwar.jpg

MUGMon1726pol.jpg

MUGMonKhanbaliq.jpg

EU3_MAP_MUG_1726.12.25_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I'm declaring victory in my Kannada Canada game (see above, May 2nd). The Europeans didn't do nearly as much interior colonizing as I was worried about, so I was able to get all of Canada, plus just a wee bit more. :D The Cherokee you see there were force-released from Portugal and are Catholic with many Portuguese culture provinces.
kannadacanada1714.jpg

World map below:
hindustanmap1714.jpg

At the time of the final save I'm in the process of taking some Oirat provinces to connect Siberia to Hindustan proper. The land connection doesn't matter, but it seemed like the thing to do. A Trans-Canada Road is in progress, currently built from Stadacona to Miami, with work in progress to the west. I could use the former Westernization Base Calabar and interior colonies to devour the rest of the African interior, but ... why?

If you're wondering about the gray in Peru, that's Prussia. There's a bit of Bohemia and Sweden nearby, because that totally makes sense. The bluish gray bit in Gold Coast is Sardinia, which revolted free there ages ago and has survived despite the province having zero manpower. I'm very amused by Persia doing a Russia impersonation all game. Timurids went bankrupt around 1700, breaking all their longstanding tribute relationships. Unfortunately for Persia, Durrani jumped all over that first and more than doubled in size, including the Persian-cultured provinces I've felt Persia should have gone after 200 years ago.

Easily the most enjoyable EU3 game I've ever played! :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Prompted by seeing "Avignonese North America" on the map:
minorscolonizing.jpg

Minors are doing a lot of the colonizing in my Germany game. France being pounded to smithereens is mostly my fault, I'll admit (the Avignon thing was their spies running rampant after I walked all over France on my way to make Castille give me a peace treaty a couple decades ago). But some of it is the AI doing weird stuff. England still doesn't have QftNW - their Central American provinces are conquests from the Aztecs and Castille.

Other fun labels: Scottish South America (Scotland is quite strong, and until recently was the senior partner in a PU with France), Savoyard South America, and German Castille (Castille had Tunisia long enough to get cores, and Tunisia became my vassal a month after I forced Castille to release them...). Flanders has a lot of colonial territory, but not contiguous enough to get a map label apparently. The bit around Hudson's Bay must be close, though. Genoa is doing all right for themselves too. Naples was doing better until they lost a recent war with Castille. The Castille bit in Colombia (not to be confused with the identically colored Scottish bit right next to it) used to belong to Naples. Not shown: Loango is a Kongolese province with Shamanist religion ... and Portuguese culture. :D

(I don't see a Strange Screenshots thread like in the CK2 forums, so posting it in this thread).

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
And prompted by Gondwanaland here comes Laurasia. Starting as Lorraine, take over Europe, NAmerica and Asia.
Yes, that's Bohemia between Muscovy and Lorraine occupied Horde. Lots of vassals and a few provinces picked off from an English incursion into the HRE plus claims on our rivals. The vassals include 4 electors, so that horde occupation is supported by Emperor manpower. Muscovy got so close to cutting off the route to the horde, its only open due to a border dispute core seized from them. No chance to go exploring NAmerica is open for colonization by the usual suspects and there's no spies to do anything about it even if I could see them. Also the lack of a land connection means no ability to colonise overseas and it takes 3 years for my colonists to arrive in the horde. The initial asian territory was seized by a holy war on Zaporozhia.

EU3_68.gif

50 years on. A brief stint as a republic allowed the HRE to be left and then the vassals reelected me at the first opportunity. This allows HRE territory to be acquired without penalties for lack of cores on the cheap with the Imperial "Liberation" cb and vassal annexations. This has opened up a land connection to the Med, but theres still work to be done to connect to the Horde area which is now being colonised at 80 days a pop rather than 800. No ideas to spare for QftNW, still no spies. Que sera sera in NAmerica. The Lorrainian army is invading Spain at the bottom right, the reason being that they have Lubeck, and I have a core on it. It was a long war for one province, but a province well worth grabbing. The Reformation has been a complete squib, there's just a modest collection of heretical HRE minors. who will in due course be pressured into reconverting for Imperial authority to make a couple of reforms.
EU3_69.gif

Another 50 years. The Holy War has reached the Pacific. India has been sealed off, and there's just a little tidying of the borders to be done. According to well informed geologists, cores reveal that a couple of Himalayan provinces contain Laurentian rocks, and they are being acquired here.
EU3_70.gif

Also as a result of taking the Espionage idea and starting to build level 5 government buildings, there are now spies, and map spread means they can see targets. Hispaniola was the first to be colonised, but with the aid of a hired Navigator, the NE is under the control of the King of Lorraine (the yellow bits there are Scottish, but the King of Lorraine is also the King of Scotland and Albania due to random dynastic happenings). Cherokee was forced released from England, which looks to have put an effective roadbloak on their colonisation and spies are working hard to try and remove them from Florida and Cuba as well as keeping their coastal provinces in revolt to obstruct whatever inland colonisation they may be trying.
Meanwhile, a tidy chunk of the HRE was been swallowed and the land connection to the asian territorites is almost complete. A corridor through the Ottomans via the Dardanelles has been opened by Holy War, and a corridor through Austria taken by Imperial Liberation. Croatia has been force released from Hungary and vassalised, the annexation will connect the capital to the Pacific and allow a significant fleet to be built. Regular diploannexations plus Liberations from Hesse and Burgundy have connected most of the HRE territories.
EU3_71.gif

• 2Like
Reactions:
And prompted by Gondwanaland here comes Laurasia. Starting as Lorraine, take over Europe, NAmerica and Asia.
Fine Lotharingian adventure you've got here, with a strategy completely different from the one I told here years ago. What would be your final goals for 1820 in terms of territorial expansion ?

I see that poor Georgia in the middle of your way on the first picture, and it brings to what has been keeping me busy last week :

GEO1427pol.jpg

This in 1427 is when I started to believe I could do something with that game, after an awful start where Alania fell to Qara Koyunlu and I had to pay tribute to them as well as to the GH. The Timurids just made me concede defeat because they were already busy elsewhere. When QK started to meet the Mamluks and send their armies far away, I sent a spy to Alania to fund patriot rebels, and I could get my province back shortly after without firing a shot. Here on the picture the GH was starting to be in big trouble and I had DoWed them, hoping I could colonize my way to that weak Crimea (and kick a struggling Poland out of there with spies).

GEO1444pol.jpg

Here I was starting to feel more confident, in spite of remaining quite poor. I got the Claim on our rivals event, which among other things granted me a core on Astrakhan and its CoT. Owning some Tartar territory also allowed me to hire much better troops than what was available in my culture and tech group at this point. But I still had a lot to do to take full revenge on the Hordes who had bullied me in the first place...

GEO1470pol.jpg

The Jalayrids randomly DoWed ma at some point and Candar joined in. I fought back and had the opportunity to annex Candar. I was a bit reluctant to take some Turkish cores so close to the ever worrying Ottomans, but I thought that might be useful later on (also, excellent troops can be recruited there). The Hordes were starting to beg me to leave them alone every month by then. No way.

GEO1514pol.jpg

So the Hordes ceased to be a concern, and then it was the Ottomans' turn (I had a core on the province of Erzerum and didn't want to lose it !). I also westernized because I was starting to lag seriously tech wise, and I had Bohemia and Portugal as Western neighbours. I diplovassalized Trebizond and a few yars later, Byzantium, who was still a 2PM but I allowed them to grow afterwards to 7provinces, thanks to my spies funding Greek patriots on that part of Ottoman territory (which was occupied by Algiers for decades, in a never ending war they had together - actually the Ottos never recovered from their second defeat against me).

GEO1555pol.jpg

After successfully beating the Mamluks and their Arab allies, I decided to expand Eastwards and deal with the Hordes for good.

GEO1578pol.jpg

I finished the Ottomans and beat The Mamluks and Co for a second time. Now I was big enough to consider having two simultaneous and non related wars on both sides. So in the West I seized whatever Horde territory Lithuania had managed to conquer a long time ago when I was still weak ; and in the East I started to push into Indian Terra Incognita.

GEO1592pol.jpg

And this is where I'm at for now... Planning a third war against the Mamluks, Yemen and Oman, and for this purpose bringing my oversized fleet Around Arabia, on both sides of that Mar Incognita I cannot cross because I haven't QFTNW yet and I still have to wait a few years until Gov tech level 25 to take it. Any suggestions for the second half of the game ?

EU3_MAP_GEO_1592.7.15_1.jpg

Last edited:
Right before bidding on Georgia's fate, I've been completing my Mughal series.

GH1487pol.jpg

I had been struggling with Horde wars in the West for a couple decades when I decided to try that strategy to get me out of there : get tribute from Novgorod, Muscovy and Lithuania ; vassalize Moldavia, Georgia and Armenia, as buffer states to keep me away from other foes - and especially the Ottomans and the Mamluks. Once that long term peace was assured, I turned against the fellow hordes and carved my way through their territory, to the future heartland of Mughal in Northern India.

Nogai and Kazakhstan were conquered and/or vassalized and diploannexed later on. Khiva and Khorasan were vassalized as future non-Horde muslim allies for the Mughal empire. The Timurids were severely dealt with, while bravely facing the Mamluk conquest (which was stopped by the Ottomans invading the Mamluks anyway). I conquered Samarkand and kept in mind that it would make a fine and very central capital in a distant future, if I was to get tired of Delhi (I had decided not to go back to Sarai - too small and poor for a capital city).

When I reached Northern India I conquered all the required provinces as fast as I could. Indian armies were starting to be dangerous for my Steppe troops, but I was still taking advantage of the large manpower numbers provided by the vast GH territory. Finally, I took the Mughal decision right before another horde war against Vijaynagar broke out, while I was still at war against OPMs Rajputana and Delhi (just had to pay full BB to annex them in the peace deal, and get away with it).

There's still a long story to tell after that. I had to conquer all of Timurid territory before someone else did, obviously - but still gave them a chance to destroy the Jalayrids and Najd for me. I had to modernize. I had to conquer India - I didn't intend to go for China this time, but Vijaynagar was allied with Ming as they often do, so...

But I never forgot where I was coming from, and that former European enemies were still standing there. So once I was practically done in Asia, I turned my eyes back to the West. The balance of powers was quite interesting there, especially since Burgundy had inherited Castille with all its early colonies, which made them a bit overpowered but also got us rid of a notoriously annoying conqueror.

The Ottomans were resisting quite well against Christian Holy wars, and they even conquered bits of European territory in Sicily, Ireland and Northern Germany. I had alliances with them from time to time, but our relations were not very stable. What I wanted was a PU with them and I finally got it, albeit quite late in the game. They were very good allies after that, and quite useful when I started my wars against Muscovy and Lithuania.

Morocco was something else : they were extremely aggressive and had conquered all of Northern Africa, up to Judea. I had a RM with them, but was actually planning a war to kick them out of the Middle East, when we suddenly got a PU - and I inherited them less than a decade after. Some troubles with the rebels until all those provinces were cored, but other than that, a big worry less !

Other muslim states in the region were either vassalized and diploannexed later on, or partially conquered. The Syrian case was a bit special : I helped them to rebel away from the Mamluks, then I fought and vassalized them in some war, then diploannxed them. But 2 of their coastal core provinces were held by someone else (the Ottomans I think) and got some nationalist rebels. Meanwhile I had sold Beyrouth to Corsica, who I had chosen as a westernization partner. I let the rebels take it after I was done. So a new 3pm Syria emerged, which I diplovassalized... and annexed for a second time.

MUGHor1672pol.jpg

In the late17th century, I started to focus on whatever territorial gain I could still get in the West, hoping to inherit the Ottomans some day (it happened but I prefered to release most of their European provinces as vassals, especially in the HRE). I even had occasions to conquer Southern Iberia and Portugal, and perform a glorious invasion of Burgundy which allowed me to annex the Flanders region. But my real obsession was to get the whole territories of the countries that had once defied the GH : Novgorod, Muscovy, Lithuania and Poland.

MUGHor1788pol.jpg

And so did I...

EU3_MAP_MUG_1788.7.12_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Fine Lotharingian adventure you've got here, with a strategy completely different from the one I told here years ago. What would be your final goals for 1820 in terms of territorial expansion ?
Everything to the north of the Tethys when Pangea split.
Everything north of Panama (arguably thats a little too far south and doesn't belong to either Gondwana or Laurasia but I've already colonised it). The Bahamas and Greater but not Lesser Antilles. Greenland, but not Iceland.
Judea is arguably a province too far south, but the Pope decided otherwise. Basra is being left in Gondwanaland. Mountains around the edge of India are disputable territory. I'll probably grab a few more than I strictly should. I also haven't come to a decision on the mediterranean islands yet.
The province of Bali Lombok straddles the border, so I'll probably grab it. Borneo and Palawan are in, Phillipines and Taiwan are out. Japan is in.

• 1Like
Reactions: