• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Love that Europe! Especially the Germany and Austria-Hungary. Nice.

Cheers!

I take it Switzerland pissed you off, and you were forced to teach them a lesson.
They have an annoying habit of alligning with France.

Switzerland got what was coming to it for illegally apprehending an Italian national on Italian soil. The international outrage was so great that France actually helped me invade its own sphereling. France probably shouldn't do that, but I forgot to tell the AI. :)

I take it Switzerland pissed you off, and you were forced to teach them a lesson.
They have an annoying habit of alligning with France.

Or that Switzerland is a good target for S-P expansion early game.

Christina y Jorge y Las Malvinas?

For those who know me from the EU3, CK2 or AAR forums, you'll know that I tend to go on and on, so this will be a long post. But here I am in the V2 forums at last! I pray for your patience and hope you'll bear with my rambling.

So, here's my first ever game of Vicky 2 AHD - I got it over the last weekend on the Gamersgate sale. I picked Argentina because people on the forum say it's easy, so I guess I did pretty okay considering that I had no idea what to research or build. I'd really appreciate any comments and suggestions to help improve my gameplay.

I was basically a middle-ranking SP for most of the game. I became GP for a while shortly after the start of the game, then fell and could never catch up. I didn't have a navy at all until past the halfway mark, and I didn't know how to get out of the presidential dictatorship until over 3/4 of the way through. I couldn't into space either, mainly due to not realising the importance of literacy and education efficiency until halfway through the game, but it was pretty fun being the first nation in the world to start building factories producing high-tech goods. I also made sure never to break the infamy limit.

Here are the political maps.

ARG00010_zps3e76f3a3.png

ARG00020_zps7546b09b.png

Yes, apparently Britain decided that the Queensland hinterland was absolutely uninhabitable for some reason. And Russia just never colonised the northern tundra. And Sweden took the province on the Russian coast, and Russia didn't mind at all.

As you can see, I didn't attack any uncivs, and my only colony was Easter Island. My first move of the game was to attack Chile, then to reclaim my cores from Bolivia shortly after. Beyond that, it was a slow process of building up, waiting for the chance to attack Brazil when the totally weak and useless Netherlands took them out of France's sphere (which ended with both intervening anyway...), and opportunistic strikes against a newly-rebelled Gran Colombia and defenceless Uruguay and Haiti. Everyone else in the way got puppeted, eventually.

Somehow, I felt that in my game the AI GPs were basically working to preserve the 1836 status quo. Globally there were no significant transfers of territory between the GPs/SPs except the American-Mexican war, and Alsace-Lorraine (and Franche-Comte, more on that later). There were only three Great Wars, and all were between a France-Russia coalition, and the NGF and whichever GP they happened to be allied with at the time. What sort of annoyed me was the sheer amount of slacking the other GPs were doing. The UK did basically nothing interesting except colonise and annex bits of Egypt and India - and a rather strange and inconclusive war over Hawaii with the USA. The USA likewise ignored everything beyond Mexico and Texas. Most irritatingly of all, Austria seriously did absolutely nothing, no wars with NGF, Russia, Ottomans, or anyone else.

The complete lack of interest paid to anything outside Europe and Africa meant that China and Japan simply westernised and became GPs without having to fight a single war. Japan joined the slackers' club, but at least China attacked Russia for Primorye a few times, causing a massive European coalition to go after them which lagged my computer to hell and back. So, on my part, I felt this sheer amount of AI slacking just made it hard for me to get anywhere higher than a mid-ranking SP since none of the big players ever seriously collapsed.

Here's my scoreboard.

ARG00030_zps355145d8.png

I have no idea why Austria got such a high score despite doing absolutely nothing except probably just sitting around and researching Prestige techs. Also note the westernised Korea who was never once attacked by anyone - another product of the AI slacking off.

My difficulty for most of the game was just managing my economy. I have no idea how people manage to rack up thousands and thousands of pounds per day - my treasury never broke £1.5 million and that was essentially a late-game war chest. Taxes were usually 90-95% poor, as low as possible for rich, and as much as needed to keep me in the black for the middle classes. Tariffs were 0% as far as possible, while all government spending sliders were full as long as I could afford it without tariffs. In fact, due to my poor income I spent most of the start of the game researching commerce and industry techs, while slacking off on military spending due to my relatively safe position. My poor income was one reason why I didn't want to sail around the world attacking uncivs, as that would mean I would actually have to pay for a proper navy and army to protect my conquests. However, focusing on commerce and industry basically cut back on my power projection ability which prevented me from ever regaining GP status.

My greatest bugbear was the imperialist usurpers controlling Las Malvinas the French, thanks to their persistent interest in Brazil. My only wars with GPs were all against the French. Fighting them was a bloody nuisance, as they were obviously stronger - GPs just didn't want to ally with me for the whole game despite max relations, and the only help I got was from my puppets. I managed to get an alliance with the USA at a point when they were weaker, but they would never want to join me in my wars, even against puny countries, and they dishonoured when France attacked. Is VickyII mostly like this?

I fought three wars against France. The first time, they tried to intervene in my war against Brazil, but I gained enough warscore from occupying Brazil to just force my demands through. The third time, they just wanted to take my stuff, and none of their allies joined them, so eventually they gave up. However, the second war came about because they sphered me and caused my economy to crash, so I tried to quit their sphere - and basically brought a giant coalition against me. France, Russia, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Egypt ... even bloody Austria joined, in what was probably the only war to which they actually sent some soldiers! I felt like just reloading, but I wanted to get my economy back, so I fought on...

Here's the problem ... so eventually I killed enough soldiers to get 20 warscore - the 25 from battles, less the warscore from occupying my islands and blockading all my ports as I had only a pathetic navy and naval tech. But they just wouldn't accept white peace. In truth, the AI was doing the smart thing as my country would have eventually collapsed due to war exhaustion, but one would think the loss of a whole stack of 100,000 soldiers, among many, many others, would cause them to rethink their plans. I added the Humiliation wargoal, but France refused to agree despite me having greater warscore than was required to enforce it. Eventually one of my puppets went bankrupt, and France's allies added 'Repay Debts' to their demands, so I agreed to repay debts many times over to end the war. Annoyingly enough, NGF attacked them for the Franche-Comte, only just right after I peaced out. But why was it impossible for me to demand white peace despite my positive warscore? What do I need to do, or how much warscore do I need to get to force them into white peace?

This particularly irks me as in the third war, when France attacked me with no allies, I was able to fight my way up to that same 20 warscore, then add the Humiliation wargoal and enforce it against them. Why was it possible then? It's true I actually had a decent navy then, but it could not hold off the constant influx of French ships, and I still wasn't able to retake my islands. Why was I able to enforce my demands the second time, while they kept refusing despite me having enough warscore to do so the first time?

Whew. That's a lot of ranting, but I'm truly seeking advice to get better at the game, including a better understanding of the game mechanics like the above. If you read through all that, I applaud you, thank you for your patience, and hope that you'll be able to provide me with an answer! Such is the tale of a newbie's first foray into the world of Vicky II! Till next time.

ARG00040_zps30d01fdf.png

TLDR - In retrospect, this was probably my best achievement in the whole game. If it wasn't for me, France would be #2.

*contented smile*

Last edited:
I can't answer every question you have, but here are a couple:

Austria is probably doing well because of industry. If Austria is not dragged into endless wars, it tends to become and industrial powerhouse.

As for techs, in a nutshell, your best off sacrificing the first few years of the game to get the literacy and tech rate increasing techs, as well as medicine. Then, it all depends on yous situation. In Military, the most important are the infantry weapon techs and the tactics techs. The others are nice, but not necessary. Navy is overall pretty useless, excluding the new shiptype line. The best in commerce are the regulations, (which increase RGO output) and the ones that increase factory input and output efficiency. Cultural techs are all pretty useful, except the psychology line, and the prestige line is one I usually ignore. Finally, pretty much all the industry techs are important, but you should tailor it to what type of RGOs you have. If you have no coal mines, clean coal isn't very useful. Also, even if you navy sucks, you should still grab uncivs. You may not be able to defend them well, but they can open you up for colonization and provide goods like Oil and Rubber later on.

Hope that helps. Regardless, it looks like you had a very successful first game, so congrats!

The mighty Krakow in the year 1898. Not formed Poland-Lithuania because i don't like the country color.
I waited until i was in the Russian sphere then i declared war to Prussia when it was in war with France, Russia joined war so result was i got East-prussia. Now i build a transport fleet and drove to Dai Nam and conquert all expect for the capital, set the Focus on soldiers in Dai Nam and now i declared war to Japan and China, Russia joined again i got Osaka and Russia got something from China. Prussia was again in a war with France and Austria (in this war France got that part of Prussia you can see on the map) and i had builed a 5x 24.000 man armys and brought them to East-Prussia now declared war to Prussia again Russia joined again and i got Western- Prussia and Posen. Now with more than 1 focus i put soldier focus on Posen and Eastern-Prussia and now i got a GP too. Russia cacelled the alliance but now Austria offered me a alliance with them so (now with the Unity war targets) i declared war to Russia and got the 2 Regions between Krakow and the Rest of my Empire. I conquered more and more from Russia with Austrian help until i was ready to fight alone, now i cancelled the alliance with Austria and attackt them and conquered West and east galicien and freed the South German Federation from the Austrians. Now in the 2 more wars against Russia i got that land on the map.

If your warscore is higher, keep sending them peace offers. They'll refuse, yes. However, refusing 'acceptable' peace offers costs militancy and war exhaustion - so after half a year of consistent refusing they'll have to decide between your demands and a massive rebellion. If the AI really wants peace now, you can get significantly more wargoals then your warscore. The only situation where a country is forced to accept a peace offer below the warscore is the point where warscore reaches 100% (only achievable by occupying every single province these country has).
--
As for the Russian colonies thing:
These are all liferating 15 provinces, so Russia will need Nationalism&Imperialism, Machine Guns and Medicine (it's not the tech itself, but one of the inventions in there, I think the Malaria one). Since Russia is a technologically backward country, the AI usually never manages to get all these techs, and colonize something till the game ends. As for why Russia never bothered to claim Swedish Siberia: Sweden is usually in Russia's sphere, resulting in the Russian inability to attack them (you cannot attack your spherelings, unless they rebel against you) - Sweden usually gets the required techs, and since their starting naval base is enough to allow them colonization up there, they do.
--
As it is with your cash reserves:
First of all: Never tax rich guys zero. If you do that, your capitalists become aristocrats and therefore slow down your economic growth. Tax them as high as you can. Poor people are usually also taxed as high as possible. Taxes on your middle class should be so, that nobody other than clerks without work and artisans go yellow or red (artisans going yellow or red isn't preventable at all).
That said there are two types of taxes:
The tax you demand from your sliders is also the tax the pops feel (I'm not entirely sure how it works, but 100% tax is not 100% of their income).
The second thing is the tax you get (the rest is lost by corruption, lazy bureaucrats forgetting your money in their desk and so on).
The value you get mainly depends on two things:
First of all, your tax efficiency techs - better techs more money from the same tax base.
Next and most important: Administrative Efficiency - to a certain point also improvable via techs. However, you need bureaucrats to improve it to the maximum - no bureaucrat pops in a state means no taxes from there. Bureaucrats basically scale the base efficiency you get from techs and the administration slider - optimum or more bureaucrats: full administration efficiency, zero bureaucrats: zero administration efficiency.

That is very good for Argentina on first try Argentina was my first country technically too the only difference between you and me is I went bankrupt by 1941 and raged quit:p, and don't take this the wrong way but that map is making my eyes bleed

Last edited:
@aniuby:
Your game seems disappointing and almost boring regarding the GPs. I usually play with the POP Demand Mod, so I can't comment on whether that is normal for vanilla, though.

For advice, I'd probably say that your most important task is to get your pops literate enough to promote to clerks and capitalists. Once you have this, and enough total score to get a good place on the world
market(buying order is determined by score,) you can industrialize massively. Always make sure you have enough oil and rubber in the late game. APD introduces artificial rubber factories that help out a lot with that, but use up tons of oil.

Tax is taken from pops and given to you at the same rate regardless of efficiency, contrary to what many believe. This brings us to our next step which is late game economy. The late game economy suffers from a lack of liquidity, that is, not enough money to go around. As Argentina, you probably don't have an economy big enough to fix this, but through running zero tax and -25% effective tariff(more causes problems,) you can pump liquidity into your local market and jumpstart some economic growth. However, running a deficit for too long is dangerous for a large country, as there is a hard limit on the amount you can go in the red. A good plan is to take a gigantic loan before trying this.

As to the French problem, this was addressed by previous posters.

Don't underestimate the power of prestige and extra pops. You might have noticed the gps are the countries with the highest population and prestige. For the first 50 years you might be able to get into the gps through sheer prestige, but after that you need the pops to back it up. Try passing as many reforms as you can so you can get immigrants from Europe. Also avoid protracted wars. Immigrants hate that.

I'd go into how to use a backwards, small army to beat anyone, but I've gone on too long already. Hope this helps.

@aniuby:
Your game seems disappointing and almost boring regarding the GPs. I usually play with the POP Demand Mod, so I can't comment on whether that is normal for vanilla, though.

For advice, I'd probably say that your most important task is to get your pops literate enough to promote to clerks and capitalists. Once you have this, and enough total score to get a good place on the world
market(buying order is determined by score,) you can industrialize massively. Always make sure you have enough oil and rubber in the late game. APD introduces artificial rubber factories that help out a lot with that, but use up tons of oil.

Tax is taken from pops and given to you at the same rate regardless of efficiency, contrary to what many believe. This brings us to our next step which is late game economy. The late game economy suffers from a lack of liquidity, that is, not enough money to go around. As Argentina, you probably don't have an economy big enough to fix this, but through running zero tax and -25% effective tariff(more causes problems,) you can pump liquidity into your local market and jumpstart some economic growth. However, running a deficit for too long is dangerous for a large country, as there is a hard limit on the amount you can go in the red. A good plan is to take a gigantic loan before trying this.

As to the French problem, this was addressed by previous posters.

Don't underestimate the power of prestige and extra pops. You might have noticed the gps are the countries with the highest population and prestige. For the first 50 years you might be able to get into the gps through sheer prestige, but after that you need the pops to back it up. Try passing as many reforms as you can so you can get immigrants from Europe. Also avoid protracted wars. Immigrants hate that.

I'd go into how to use a backwards, small army to beat anyone, but I've gone on too long already. Hope this helps.

No, no, no, no, please continue. That last part could be very helpful, especially in my mp game as China.

No, no, no, no, please continue. That last part could be very helpful, especially in my mp game as China.

Something I've learnt from here and only used since recently, it works really well:
- Draw an enemy stack into a province with the least borders possible, attack it and encircle it with 1 hussard in each bordering province. Beat it and it will be destroyed since it can not retreat. It is long and tedious and often requires to give up a lot of territory but it ultimately works.
- Attack an enemy stack with at least 2 armies. Check frontage, add more if possible. Retreat a stack when it starts losing, add a fresh one. Rince and repeat when a battle hardened stack is fresh

And like Wriener I am realy interested in new advices

Thanks for your comments and advice, folks! Except for those complaining about borders, I'm now banning your embassy =P

Xenophon13 - I kind of got the hang of research later on and I did roughly what you recommend. My main mistake was not researching the ed eff techs until significantly later, after I had done some of the more unimportant industries, because I didn't realise how huge an impact they would have on the rate of lit increase. Also I'll think more about attacking uncivs in the future, my main resistance to the idea is that I don't want to end up starting every new game of V2 with the same opening moves, so consider it a form of self-restraint.

shierholzer - Understood about asking for peace. However, is there a certain minimum amount of warscore you must have before you can start demanding, say, white peace? Obviously it wouldn't be right if I could try to force white peace after getting a single point of warscore from winning a single battle. But I take it that 20 warscore from battles alone really ought to be able to allow me to (eventually) demand Humiliation.

On taxes, I understood how tax income is gained and the need for bureaucrats. However, I'm surprised you recommend high rich taxes - I've heard that setting rich taxes low lets capis retain enough money to start investing, and in any case I don't want to end up with my rich classes demoting. One thing that really annoyed me, however, was the massive fluctuations in tax income due to POPs only being able to meet their needs part of the time as they were often unable to buy certain needs off the market, especially the middle classes. In my game there was a global fish shortage after 1910 or so, so POPs of all classes basically plummeted to 'life needs partly fulfilled', which killed my tax income.

Spazcat91 - I'd appreciate it if you could edit your post and delete that entire quote from me - I've already talked long enough and nobody wants to read the same thing again.

BootonFace - I was considering getting APD but looking at the massive amount of changes and new mechanics I've decided against it. As it is, most posters on the AAR board use vanilla so I guess I'll stick with it and learn to play it better. I also read about the negative tariff trick - sadly that was a no-go due to my awful economy, but I did learn that at times increasing military spending would keep my factories productive employing my POPs, which in turn increased their ability to meet their needs and pay their taxes and reduce the amount of industrial subsidies, keeping me in the black. It's the military-industrial complex all over again.

On immigration, I seriously didn't have a clue how it works. I started off with 0 immigrants, but gained more once my tech pulled ahead of Brazil. My upper house was just so resistant to reforms, and I didn't know how to get out of the presidential dictatorship, until that war against the huge European coalition sent my con/mil shooting up and I realised which reforms I needed to convert to a democracy. If I had known how to do this earlier in the game, and about the assimilation rate of immigrants, I probably wouldn't have spent the infamy to annex Uruguay for the same culture POPs.

Everyone complaining about borders, because I know you are there - Seriously, what the heck do you guys want from a noob? There's only 145 infamy to spend in this game if the infamy cap is never broken. It's not EU3 where you can just kill everyone in your way for the sake of nice borders. And besides, have you seen some of the other empires in this thread? Bugger, and I thought that people would be a bit more understanding in a game where painting the world was much harder.

I'll probably play Japan for my next game, to learn how to Westernise and conquer uncivs quickly, before trying anything more complicated. Cheers, and goodnight all.

The fish shortages are normal. There are only a few major fish producers around, so if one of those collapses, all lower score countries will go yellow.
As for the rich tax: Kickstarting Industry is usually done by switching to a State Capitalism/Planned Economy factory, building some factories and switching back. Capitalists get paid from the factories in that particular state.

You can counterbalance the lack of oil by puppeting Venezuela (I believe they produce massive amounts of oil late game)
Puppeting won't really help. Yes, Venezuela has the largest single oil RGO on the map. However, they usually lack the laborers. Conquer the regarding state (the most western), and encourage immigration (by NF) there for five years or so.