Portugal is for some inexplicable reason missing the Napoleonic Warfare tech

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Moridin997

Colonel
77 Badges
Jul 28, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Age of Wonders III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Age of Wonders
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
Dear Victoria devs,

Portugal had a British-trained army (trained by William Beresford and Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington) that fought for years in the Napoleonic Wars (all the way to France); missing the Napoleonic Warfare tech can be nothing other than an oversight.

Honourable mention for missing techs: Stock Exchange (the first one was founded in 1769) and Banking (the first bank was founded in 1821).

Given Portugal's weak starting position (quite historical), I don't think it's game-breaking at all to add techs that, historically, also ought to be present.

(I can provide sources, if necessary.)

Thank you for your consideration :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Some sources would be handy please!

The entire Peninsular War.
The First Invasion of Portugal (1807).
The Second Invasion of Portugal (1809).
The Third Invasion of Portugal (1810) and the Lines of Torres Vedras.
The Anglo-Portuguese Army.
All 3 chapters regarding the Peninsular War, South American Campaigns, and the Liberal Wars.
The Brazilian War of Independence.
The Liberal Wars.
The Portuguese involvement in the First Carlist War.

The Portuguese Army was completely modernized from the experience in the Napoleonic Wars, almost 30 years before the start of the game. Spain, Brazil and most (if not all) South American countries should start with Napoleonic Warfare as well.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Some sources would be handy please!

As requested:

Napoleonic Warfare

(My fellow forumite @Arbus already added several links above, so I'll just add this essay link, which mentions its sources)

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_conquest_of_the_Banda_Oriental (Brazil also ought to have it; Portuguese veterans from the Napoleonic Wars served there, and William Beresford was also an advisor there)]

General Staff (also missing; formalized in 1834, but older as an organizational concept)

https ://asphs.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NATO-and-the-reorganization-Portuguese-Army-Staff-Corps-instructi.pdf

Stock Exchange

Banking

(the 1st chapter can be read in the preview)

[Central Banking as it currently stands in the game also applies, since both France and Great Britain have that tech, and despite having "Bank of (country name)" rather than "Bank of (capital name)", those "central" banks had no noteworthy functions like a proper Central Bank (as we conceive of today) ought to have, such as determining currency policy. My preferred option, actually, would be to remove that tech from every country at start, as the concept as currently represented in-game appears to be far too nebulous.]

Central Archives (another odd tech to be missing, since it would be virtually impossible to run a world-spanning colonial empire for centuries without having proper archives in government administration; it seems like another nebulous concept tried to be represented as a tech, but I don't understand the rationale)

I hope these suffice. I can provide more sources, as I own some history books about the time period, but they're all in Portuguese and I'd rather not have to scan and translate them ^^

Last edited:
Reactions:
Bonus requests, to centralize Portugal-related suggestions and avoid having to create several threads :)

- At least one University in the Estremadura state, to represent the University of Coimbra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Coimbra

- Internal Security law: replace No Home Affairs with National Guard - tricky to find non-portuguese links on the subject online (read: I couldn't find any), but long-story short, they existed until 1847, and the literal translation of their name is National Guard

- Distribution of Power law: replace Oligarchy with Wealth Voting - the Liberal Constitutions created a bicameral system based on the British upper and lower houses. The lower house was voted on by citizens with a minimum wealth requirement

- Education System law: replace Religious Schools with Public Schools - the government mandated public schools in every county for obligatory schooling (the reigning monarch's cognomen in 1836 (D. Maria II) was "a Educadora" (literally, "the Educator") ; there were issues of mismanagement and inadaquate funding, perfectly represented in Institutions by a level 1 Education

Again, I'll try to post better sources if you need them, but this period of Portuguese history is sadly neglected outside of Portuguese academia, which is rarely represent online (and almost never available in English...).

Last edited:
Reactions:
If you think this would be too much and requires nerfing, I'll add:

- Portugal was weak not because its government was backwards, but because it was poor and lacked the financial and political muscle to strengthen its liberal institutions further (such as Public Education).

- Having had to impose her rule at bayonet point against the established elites, Maria II's relationship with them was shaky. Even with Wealth Voting, most voters will still be the disgruntled reactionaries.

- Reducing Portugal's starting treasury, as well as a 10-year temporary modifier nerfing legitimacy, would be appropriate to simulate Portugal's troubles in the aftermath of the Liberal Wars.

Reactions: