• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Razzien

Private
1 Badges
Oct 30, 2014
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
So art of war came out and it's great but i don't get why there is a bug that wasn't been fixed since the start of the game.
Portugal still has the "You lose button" if you press it you stop being portugal and you pass being Galician, Castilian, Catalan which is fine if you live in the other side of the frontier and they have been a very successful political assimilation, but is stupid in our side.

The main cultural characteristic of being Portuguese is that we are not spanish and that we are not apart of spain. We are Apart of Iberia.
So if Portugal would form something would be Iberia and never spain.

One Last thing even during the 60 years Portugal was under-control of the kings of spain we remained independent country.

And why not? España comes from Hispania which is simply the way romans used to denominate the whole Iberia.

If Miguel de Paz would had survived the most probably scenario today would be a country maybe called Espanha with its capital in Lisboa, even so maybe the castellano would had impose itself over the rest of the languages though, since the child was being educated under castilian influence.

So art of war came out and it's great but i don't get why there is a bug that wasn't been fixed since the start of the game.
Portugal still has the "You lose button" if you press it you stop being portugal and you pass being Galician, Castilian, Catalan which is fine if you live in the other side of the frontier and they have been a very successful political assimilation, but is stupid in our side.

The main cultural characteristic of being Portuguese is that we are not spanish and that we are not apart of spain. We are Apart of Iberia.

One Last thing even during the 60 years Portugal was under-control of the kings of spain we remained independent country.

hear hear

Last edited:
Iberia (greek name) is ok, but Espania (latin name) is wrong? They are the same.

Spain tried to conquer Portugal multiple times and failed; if Portugal controlled the entire Iberian Peninsula it would never call itself Spain so I am with you OP.

So you're saying that these EU4 Portuguese have some kind of vision about an alternate future where an imaginary country called Spain (which doesn't exist for them) conquers them and so they decide not to call themselves Spain?

And why not? España comes from Hispania which is simply the way romans used to denominate the whole Iberia.
That's still no excuse, Europe has changed meaning being just the Balkans, later adding a few more places to it. Asia was also a Roman province for modern day western Turkey. Africa, a province surrounding Carthage. Names are just names.

Spain tried to conquer Portugal multiple times and failed; if Portugal controlled the entire Iberian Peninsula it would never call itself Spain so I am with you OP.
That doesn't really make sense, since the issue is the forming of Spain here.

In the 1444 game start, there is no country called Spain, and the only country called Spain in the historical record was the Visigothic Kingdom, which did in fact encompass the entire peninsula by the time the Umayyad Caliphate came a-conquering.

The Iberian peninsula was divided between the Kingdom of Portugal, the Crown of Castile (comprising the Kingdom of Castile, the Kingdom of Leon, and the Kingdom of Galicia), and the Crown of Aragon (comprising the Kingdom of Aragon, the county of Barcelona, the Kingdom of Majorca, the Kingdom of Valencia, the Kingdom of Sardinia, the Kingdom of Sicily, and in personal but not administrative union the Kingdom of Naples). There hadn't been a single unitary polity called "Spain" since the Umayyad dynasty conquered the peninsula in the early 8th century, and that polity had most assuredly included the territories that would later become the Kingdom of Portugal.

As such, it's perfectly reasonable for Portugal to have access to a decision to form Spain.

So did Castile, Aragon, Valencia, Catalonia, etc. All had their own independent institutions. Remember that there wasn't really a "Spain" back then, just a collection of crowns under one ruler. The connotation of Spain/España was that of the whole Iberian Peninsula if I'm not mistaken, and only after Portugal had remained distinct from the Habsburg territories in Spain for a while did the connotation of the name change to not include it.

So you're saying that these EU4 Portuguese have some kind of vision about an alternate future where an imaginary country called Spain (which doesn't exist for them) conquers them and so they decide not to call themselves Spain?

People have the problem of looking at stuff like this, from a modern perspective, not that of the time period. Same with the OP

That doesn't really make sense, since the issue is the forming of Spain here.
True so let me rephrase it: 99,99999% (there is always a black sheep) of the Portuguese players would never push that button to form Spain. Unless PDS is catering for just 1 Portuguese or ignorant* (I mean no offense here, I just can´t find a better word because my English is not great) foreigners that button makes 0 sense .

*in the sense that they don´t know how today's Portuguese feel about it.
Btw: don´t get me wrong, I don´t hate Spain in fact I have several Spanish friends.

Last edited:
True so let me rephrase it: 99,99999% (there is always a black sheep) of the Portuguese players would never push that button to form Spain. Unless PDS is catering for just 1 Portuguese or ignorant (I mean no offense here, I just can´t find a better word) foreigners that button makes 0 sense.
Ignorant? Well, I'm not offended, don't want to sound like that, but thats just wrong word.
If I'm playing as country I have any sympathies or antipathy, then I do what's best from gameplay point of view. I know the history, it has nothing to do with ignorance.
+ Portugal is very common choice, also among the foreigners.

Ignorant? Well, I'm not offended, don't want to sound like that, but thats just wrong word.
If I'm playing as country I have any sympathies or antipathy, then I do what's best from gameplay point of view. I know the history, it has nothing to do with ignorance.
+ Portugal is very common choice, also among the foreigners.
What I mean to say is: "ignorant" in the sense that they don´t know how today's Portuguese feel about it. Yes there is probably a better expression but like I said my English is not perfect.

True so let me rephrase it: 99,99999% (there is always a black sheep) of the Portuguese players would never push that button to form Spain. Unless PDS is catering for just 1 Portuguese or ignorant (I mean no offense here, I just can´t find a better word because my English is not great) foreigners that button makes 0 sense .
Since I don't think Portugese players are a majority of EU4 players, I don't see how it's such a great crime for Paradox to support non-Portuguese players who want to conquer Iberia as Portugal. The posts above had it right: if in alternate history Portugal had united Iberia, it would probably still be called Spain (in English).

That being said, it also wouldn't be criminal of Paradox to extend a branch to Portuguese players and give another name to it for their decision.

Since I don't think Portugese players are a majority of EU4 players, I don't see how it's such a great crime for Paradox to support non-Portuguese players who want to conquer Iberia as Portugal. The posts above had it right: if in alternate history Portugal had united Iberia, it would probably still be called Spain (in English).

That being said, it also wouldn't be criminal of Paradox to extend a branch to Portuguese players and give another name to it for their decision.
You don´t know that and please next time don´t put words in my mouth. Thank you.

Btw: don´t get me wrong, I don´t hate Spain in fact I have several Spanish friends.

As others have said you're projecting the modern point of view into 1444. At that time, Hispania was the name of the whole peninsula, because that was the name the Romans gave to it.
Spain controlled Portugal for a fairly long time, and only after that finished we started associating Spain with Castille+Aragon and Iberia (which is Hispania in Greek) replaced it as the name for the peninsula.

I agree with OP, Portugal is is probably the most stable, consistent country in Europe, being essentially the same size and culture since the 1300s. I doubt they would flip.