• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NachoArcade

Carlogonian Warlord
79 Badges
Aug 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hello fellow forum members!

Awhile ago I started a Challenge Thread, but IRL struck me and I had to abandon it. Now I am back and ready for a challenge.

In three days I will open a pool with all the suggestions for challenges that have been provided in the comment section below. I intend to take on the challenge with most votes and submit an AAR. I have all DLC's and can try any challenge. I am open to any twists for it, anything that would make it more fun! :laugh:

So, throw the challenges at me my fellow forum members!

You have to be a vassal, all the time - except when you are figthing against your liege in a faction to lower CA or something - but other than that, no independence for you :)

You have to be a vassal, all the time - except when you are figthing against your liege in a faction to lower CA or something - but other than that, no independence for you :)

Haha, i kind of like that one. Limits me, but doesn't limit me beyond belief.. Interesting... If you have any specific thoughts about what county/duchy/king then please do throw in that aswell..

That suggestion would also be awesome together with "The Glory Of Karling" Challenge in my challenge thread..

Haha, i kind of like that one. Limits me, but doesn't limit me beyond belief.. Interesting... If you have any specific thoughts about what county/duchy/king then please do throw in that aswell..

That suggestion would also be awesome together with "The Glory Of Karling" Challenge in my challenge thread..
I usually play such always-a-vassal game as Venice... but that may be too easy :) Let's see what starts others will propose :)

I usually play such always-a-vassal game as Venice... but that may be too easy :) Let's see what starts others will propose :)

I never really liked playing as a republic.. I find it too easy. I'm more of a fan of the diplomatic game I can play as a feudal ruler. I am also a big fan of diplomatic conquest. By marrying into a bloodline, and by placing some good hits, plotting and scheming I end up on a throne without "any" bloodshed (on the battlefield)

I still deem myself as a good millitary strategist, and I never shy out from a 10:1 battle as long as I have a reasonable chance to beat them by strategically using terrain and other modifiers. Especially my fantastic two month battle in the mountains in anatolia versus the aztecs.. Fantastic :D

1. Kennedy/Medici challenge. While remaining a republic, pass on the dogeship from father to eldest son as if under Primo and consistently keep intermarrying with the highest feudal ranks.

2. Turn the tide. Start as Cornwall in 769, which is only decades after losing Dorset and Somerset (that's in Wessex now), start getting your stuff back. Get a connection with Wales. Do some research and focus on liberating those counties that are recent Saxon conquests and/or are historically somewhat more likely to have had a surviving Welsh-speaking populace.

3. No landgrab. No fabrication of claims. No assassination. No gimmicky matrimarriage stuff. No pressing of younger brothers' claims vs older brothers in Primo counties. No interfering with elections in Elective countries unless you are restoring (the kids of) a deposed hereditary ruler. Don't use holy wars and similar CBs for mere expansion, use them always to liberate lost lands or at least to legitimately weaken a threatening blob.

4. Reverse outside bid. As Harold Godwinson, become King of Denmark (yes, he had a shadow of a claim).

5. Komnenos comeback. As Trebisond, 1) get C'ple and 2) become the official emperor of Byzzie Empire. (This is in the insane region, because you are likely to go down in 1-2 holy wars from overpowering neighbours.)

6. Marechal Foch in Asturias. 'My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.' Basically try to maintain an offensive live vs the Umayyads as Asturias. If Catholic revolts succeed, you should try and vassalize the new Catholic rulers in Spain as the rightful successor of the Visigothic Kingdom.

7. Visigothic Kingdom is back. Form e_Spain, keep Capital in Toledo, keep Visigothic culture. Try to get at least d_Toulouse and d_Provence.

8. Visigothic Provence/Burgundy/Aquitaine, i.e. the Kingdom of Toulouse — Be and stay Visigothic, obtain the Kingdom of Aquitaine (rename it to the Kingdom of Toulouse) and/or Burgundy.

9. Republic of Ireland. Make sure Republic of Ireland is on the map. It doesn't need to own d_Ulster. Just sayin'.

10. Llywelyn the Last. Turn 'last' from adjective to verb, and make him last. I honestly don't know how, but control all of k_Wales before you die. You still get distinction for creating and defending k_Wales.

11. The other Matilda. Using whatever date or character you want, put the Empress on the throne of England, replacing Stephen of Blois. Doing it as a kaiser would be cool in itself but too easy to win this challenge.

12. Poland-Lithuania. Start in 1337, as whoever you want. A son of Algirdas has to rule k_Poland and k_Lithuania. Bonus if you can form the Wendish Empire (and rename it).

13. Anscarid return. Put the d'Ivreas back in control of k_Italy in 1066. Bonus if you can get an imperial title after it within a reasonably short timeframe.

14. Louis is Emperor! Start as Louis in Italy in 867 and get an imperial title within your lifetime — only HRE, e_Italia, Francia, Germania or custom title. HRE, Italia or custom title preferred.

15. Catholic Berbers. You have to start as a Berber with a Catholic capital, plausibly revert to Catholicism, hold your ground etc. Making sure that Carthage has a bishop named Augustine is not mandatory.

16. Sons of Julian. Pick either one (Tanger or Ceuta), try to undo the damage your father did in helping dismantle the Catholic Visigothic Kingdom.

17. Visigothic reconquista. Start as the Byzantine Empire's Visigoths in Mallorca. Be a good foederatus (barbaric ally of Rome). Get a Visigothic Spain back for the Roman Empire.

Last edited:
Enlightened Barbarians:

As a tribal, try to capture a Catholic Heretic woman, take her as concubine and convert. Then spread the heresy and make it dominant over Catholicism, so it becomes heresy itself. Liberation of Rome from the heretics will mark your ultimate success.

769 start As asturias war against the Ummayads and create Hispania within 1 century.

Start as one of the OPM Breton counts in Brittany in 769. Immediately swear fealty to Charlie and survive as a vassal in uber-karling blob. Plus: always work to help Charlie to form Francia/HRE and rule over France+Germany+Italy and keep the Karlings in power as Emperors in this united superblob up to 1453.

I've always wanted to do this and I'm not even sure if it's possible. Form the Empire of Britain. Then, conquer India. Then, destroy all Duchy titles in Britain proper and grant independence to each count. Now, India is Britain. See how long you can sustain this madness. If you could manage the de jure drift, you might not even have to worry about getting usurped.

Alternatively, do the above except turn Britain into India and then release India.

The most brutal start I've ever tried was the Pahlavuni count under Armenia in 867. I was seduced by the idea of using this ancient family with an incredible old (Arsacid) lineage to reclaim the kingdom of Armenia, maybe the whole Persian Empire, but, uh. Yikes. Your fool of a liege will probably declare holy war on somebody within the first two weeks, and even if he doesn't, seven of your Sunni neighbors will do it for him. And you can only raise about 900 troops yourself. Maybe impossible? I'm probably gonna try it again though.

I would like to say thanks for all suggestions submitted so far. I've enjoyed reading them :p As for what challenge I'll choose.. I find the idea of staying as a vassal throughout the whole game, but I'll wait for a day or two for more suggestions :)

Do what I am doing - restore Karling rule in Europe while staying a french vassal. Not MUCH of a challenge, but has it's difficulties.

Start as one of the Jimena brothers in 1066 and try to create Hispania without assassinating your brothers or fighting offensive holy wars.

Start as one of the HRE dukes in 1066 and directly control at least 3/4s of the Empire's holdings/levies etc.

Start as Sicily in 1066 and hold every Mediterannean island holding (Malta, Belearic Islands, Sicily, Coreica, Sardinia, Crete plus a few more) while also creating as many Republic vassals in these holdings as possible.

Start as a ruler in one area of the map and completely migrate your character to another location while spreading your original culture and religion (ex. Start as Russian Kiev, marrying into Spain, inherit Spain, give away Russian holdings. Attempt as many migrations with your main line as possible during the playthrough. Alternatively, attempty this play style while switching religions as well, and attempt to play as any of the game's religions in one playthrough as possible, and even reform as many pagan religions as possible.

True Rum Kaiseri
Description: Found Roman Empire as Christian Turk.
Requirement: Start as Moghis Seljuk(Orthodox Seljuk guy in 1220s) and found Roman Empire.

Romanian Empire
Description: Found Roman Empire as true descendants of Romans.
Requirement: Start as a Vlach ruler(only possible after 1300) and found Roman Empire.

Pirates who?
Description: Conquer all Germanic rulers before they start raiding.
Requirement: No germanic ruler exists and Viking age event hasn't happen