Please make achievements acquirable with mods active

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me personally, achievements have no value for me if they’re not in Ironman. I know you can alt f4 but I would like a more stricter achievement setting then less strict in the future.

Maybe they could work with different colours and symbols?, With Ironman, without ironman, with mods and without mods.
If there's an in-game achievement browser you could have tiers when viewing your achievements:
  • Gold border for completing an achievement on Ironman with no reloads
  • Silver border for completing an achievement on Ironman with reloads
  • Bronze border for completing an achievement not on ironman
Steam Achievements unlock on bronze tier. Highest tier border displays around the achievement in-game. That gives people a way to show off/self-achieve if they need to.

Bloons TD6 comes to mind with a similar system and it seems to work quite well there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
. I do agree that it cheapens the value of the achivements
In theory.

In practice, not so much.

Relative completion rates make it pretty clear (to me) that most people either care enough about achievements that they don't want to cheat to get them, or don't care enough to be willing to go to the trouble of cheating to get them.

Reactions:
In theory.

In practice, not so much.

Relative completion rates make it pretty clear (to me) that most people either care enough about achievements that they don't want to cheat to get them, or don't care enough to be willing to go to the trouble of cheating to get them.
Or more probably...people don't care because play ironman is often a pain and incase of RNG can demolish your game you cannot save scum?

Or more probably...people don't care because play ironman is often a pain and incase of RNG can demolish your game you cannot save scum?
Steam has a bunch of strategy games, with hard achievements, that allow multiple saves etc.

There remains, with those games, a strong correlation between "higher difficulty" and "lower completion rate".

Paradox games with ironman-no-mods achievement rules have the same pattern, just with a squashed numeric range because only like 30-40% of people have any cheevos at all.

Reactions:
Not sure if I should create a separate thread for this or add it to this one, slightly off-topic, but I would love to see a few achievements obtainable in multiplayer.

Both in EU4 and HoI4, I have played several games semi-cooperatively with friends and I would have loved it if there were some achievements we could pursue when playing like that, just to give us a goal of our campaign. The multiplayer achievements wouldn't need to be many or hard, but should take most of the campaign to complete.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Bad or good news, IR 2.0.4 DD said that it would make achievements acquirable with mods active.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh boy I sure do love losing a dozen hours of gameplay to a pair of misclicks or a weird game interaction that I didn't expect because the ui lied, or just a bug.

I only play to get achievements in single player, and ironman only makes it tedious, not hard. This was a good call by the team.

Reactions:
Oh boy I sure do love losing a dozen hours of gameplay to a pair of misclicks or a weird game interaction that I didn't expect because the ui lied, or just a bug.

I only play to get achievements in single player, and ironman only makes it tedious, not hard. This was a good call by the team.
So save&load and mod are two independent factors. This is mainly about save&load.

no, they will have no value if they let you achieve them using mods lol
First: I hate to break it to you, but none of your cheevos have any value outside your own skull.

Second: Even in games where you can use the admin console and still get cheevos, there's still a pronounced difference in completion rates between the medium-hard ones and the very hard ones.

It's almost like people who care about getting hard achievements want to feel that they, personally, have got them honestly, even if the option to cheat is right there in front of them.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Bad or good news, IR 2.0.4 DD said that it would make achievements acquirable with mods active.
In the initial announcement DD about the patch like a year ago, someone asked if about achievements (because the DD said they would be compatible with mods now) and Johan said “no they will not” before the person who actually implemented that change corrected him.

So save&load and mod are two independent factors. This is mainly about save&load.
If someone wants to use a mod to get an achievement then I genuinely don't care. I've still spent too much time playing hoi4 well into the 70s to wc as Brazil either way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If someone wants to use a mod to get an achievement
To be honest, I have not found anyone doing that. It’s a kind of possibility, but it seems not to mean that many people would like to do it in that way.

Achievements are also - and this is true - completely unnecessary to enjoy the game. If you're playing a mod or want to play ironman-less game, why not just, you know, ignore the achievements? who cares about those anyway?

Reactions:
Achievements are also - and this is true - completely unnecessary to enjoy the game. If you're playing a mod or want to play ironman-less game, why not just, you know, ignore the achievements? who cares about those anyway?
Achievements are fun. Mods are also fun. I, like most people, enjoy fun and would like to enjoy the two together. "Achievements are optional" is an obvious and irrelevant statement.

If you don't care about achievements why do you care if there are restrictions on them?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Achievements are fun. Mods are also fun. I, like most people, enjoy fun and would like to enjoy the two together. "Achievements are optional" is an obvious and irrelevant statement.

If you don't care about achievements why do you care if there are restrictions on them?
because pdx have made a solid argument about mods being used to cheat with achievements

Reactions:
because pdx have made a solid argument about mods being used to cheat with achievements
It's only solid in theory, not in practice.

It's an old argument and their three most recent games have ignored it either at launch or in a patch.

And I don't get why I have to write this in here so many times but people don't seem to read it: we have actual statistical evidence from multiple games that people do not cheat achievements in any great number, even when mods allow it easily. This isn't a theoretical discussion about how people might behave - we've seen how they behave, and it doesn't bear out fears of masses of cheaters.

Reactions: