• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TornadoWatch

Major
53 Badges
Feb 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
CK3 and Victoria 3 both lacked a true, typical pre-game lobby experience - And it's to the detriment of organized multiplayer sessions.

Having to rely on 30+ people to all not click in and start doing things in the game before all players have arrived makes hosting and managing these types of games difficult. While the seamless hotjoin and hosting experience probably works better for a casual pick-up environment, people who want/host high-quality and semi-competitive games want and need this feature. If that means a "toggle-able" lobby, that'd be great so both audiences can be served well.

The experience the multiplayer community would like, to be clear and open with any of PDX's beloved dev team that reads this, is:
  • The ability to host the game, which begins in a lobby format where players can openly join and select nation(s)
  • The ability for only one person (the host) to start the game, at which time all players may begin interacting with their nations.
Alternatively, it would be somewhat OK if players could load into the lobby but not unpause the game. However, past experience has shown this (tends) to lead to more desyncs, so we'd like the ability to at least disable that functionality if it exists.

Thanks for reading.

• 30Like
Reactions:
I'm really excited about EU5 MP! While I'm a huge fan of multiplayer gaming, I genuinely believe that it's important to prioritize ensuring the base game functions run smoothly before introducing multiplayer features. My early experiences with EU4 multiplayer were ... ah ... less than optimal *lol*.

However, I'm optimistic that TT might already have an incredible multiplayer system in place, and my concerns could be trash.

I'm really excited about EU5 MP! While I'm a huge fan of multiplayer gaming, I genuinely believe that it's important to prioritize ensuring the base game functions run smoothly before introducing multiplayer features. My early experiences with EU4 multiplayer were ... ah ... less than optimal *lol*.

However, I'm optimistic that TT might already have an incredible multiplayer system in place, and my concerns could be trash.
The problem with putting multiplayer mechanics on the backburner is that often times in the past these major multiplayer issues have sat unattended perpetually. IIRC the only reason that hotjoining was fixed in EU4 is because it was inconvenient for the devs when they did dev clashes, which is a ridiculous way to develop the game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The problem with putting multiplayer mechanics on the backburner is that often times in the past these major multiplayer issues have sat unattended perpetually. IIRC the only reason that hotjoining was fixed in EU4 is because it was inconvenient for the devs when they did dev clashes, which is a ridiculous way to develop the game.

I'm fully supportive of a fantastic multiplayer system, especially if it's hosted on dedicated servers. This would address so many issues and let us have amazing experiences. I'm all in for a great multiplayer system that functions smoothly and doesn't cause frustration during gameplay. Additionally, the Greatest LAN Party adds another exciting dimension to our gaming experience. And due to its popularity, the event works in our favor for a great MP system.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please. I feel like MP is so ignored by Paradox. The community still manages to thrive despite this - imagine if they paid any attention to it. Ironically the most stable EU4 mp update was Leviathan.

Please, stable MP, a CHATBOX! (Seriously, how is there no chatbox in ck3 or vic 3?????) and ability to use more than 1 mod in multiplayer. Also, decent MP rules. EU4 has a few, like host only pause, etc. Even though players can cheese it by clicking statistics, another thing I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed in years...

• 1Like
Reactions: