Please end trench warfare in Greece

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that gets at what I very inarticulately tried and failed to say in the OP. I don't think the solution even need be as drastic as nerfing Greek military production, which would make playing Greece less enjoyable for players, even if you do compensate for the nerf through faster military construction.

@Trans_Atlantic_Drawl pointed out something important that I missed, which is that there is no supply hub in central Greece, which bogs the Axis down. In my current game, I sent an attache to Britain to check the supply situation. The Germans are at 8% supply due to that missing hub. It's Nov 1941 and Greece has held out for a year because the Axis have no supply. The problem here isn't that the Greek AI is capable of surviving, but that the German AI is incapable of succeeding on historical setting.

The solution need only be as simple as @Caeric suggests - put a port on Agrinio and connect it by rail. If not that, then Paradox can put a port of Larissa, to represent the port of Volos, and connect it by rail. Or place a supply hub in northern Attica on the existing railway. Fix the supply situation and the problem goes away.

View attachment 1127542
Yes, once offensive momentum is lost and supply runs out it's impossible to regain it without giving ground and moving back to resupply (or building a new port/supply hub), something the AI isn't smart enough to do, especially since with the limited combat width in the chokepoint it's just not possible to brute force it in bad supply.

Reactions:
Please upvote this bug report 1495030. It potentially confuses the AI in the "balkans area" which includes Greece.

Reactions:
I think that gets at what I very inarticulately tried and failed to say in the OP. I don't think the solution even need be as drastic as nerfing Greek military production, which would make playing Greece less enjoyable for players, even if you do compensate for the nerf through faster military construction.

@Trans_Atlantic_Drawl pointed out something important that I missed, which is that there is no supply hub in central Greece, which bogs the Axis down. In my current game, I sent an attache to Britain to check the supply situation. The Germans are at 8% supply due to that missing hub. It's Nov 1941 and Greece has held out for a year because the Axis have no supply. The problem here isn't that the Greek AI is capable of surviving, but that the German AI is incapable of succeeding on historical setting.

Larissa should have a supply hub. In 1941, it was the main depot of British troops.

The solution need only be as simple as @Caeric suggests - put a port on Agrinio and connect it by rail. If not that, then Paradox can put a port of Larissa, to represent the port of Volos, and connect it by rail. Or place a supply hub in northern Attica on the existing railway. Fix the supply situation and the problem goes away.

View attachment 1127542
There was a port at Preveza that was of major importance in the Italian invasion of Greece. It would indeed fall under Agrinio.

Reactions:
Currently the AI bleeds manpower and
equipment like crazy in its offensives, and itll be very hard to fix the AI, i think more feasible would be a rebalance to make its strategy more compelling.

They can start by nerfing the entrenchment bonus you get from the grand battle plan doctrine from 10 to 5. 10 is massive, grand battle plan is currently the strongest tree, and the entrenchment bonus is the first thing you get so even if you don't go far down your tree, you still get this massive bonus to defending. most allied nations go grand battle plan, as do most players.

Reactions:
It all largely depends on what Italy AI does.

I've picked up a few tricks (believe it or not) from Italy AI over the years. And (massively) naval invading Greece is one of them. So, when I nowadays play Italy myself, I setup a huge naval landing up from the southern semi island all the way to tessaloniki in the north east. And move in on the adjacent ports right after landing. Another army is pinning the greek forces along the albanian front while the naval invasion forces are sailing to their beaches.

Battle is over soon after. ;)

So I experimented with adding a supply hub on the province adjacent to Larissa, about 2-3 provinces north of Athens. Only one game so far, but it did lead to Italy securing Greece sometime in the winter of 1941/42.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't mean to be picky, but I suspect that there is another dimension to this that most people aren't seeing or discussing.

Lack of air power.

When I invade Greece, I never have supply issues or difficulty breaking the mountains no matter how much Allied strength in in the theater. Why? Because I don't care what the Greeks put in the mountains, I can bomb them out and suppress their defense stat with air superiority from Axis controlled airfields.

But I don't really see the AI piling on the air power like it should or having enough planes in general. I suspect with 1000 CAS in air region, even the AI could push through with just a few panzers without too much trouble.

• 1Like
Reactions: