• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bad4play

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2018
Hi !
I made a compilation mod for the period 1914-1999. Since I'm a lazy man I only made a 1914 start date. So to be able to play a nation that didn't existed at the start of the game I had the idea to make rebel playable so I can actually fight to free those tags and play them.

Turns out the experience was fun ! So I'm thinking about adding event for the rebel. Few things to have in mind :
- you can actually produce unit with rebels
- you have to use supplies for unit, ic to reinforce and upgrade units
- no tech tree advancement so far
- no need to be lined to acapital for supplies.
- you play EVERY rebels on the map

So far my ideas for events are :
- Army rebellion & coup --> tired of coup just being an event ? Here, high dissent may cause one or two troops to switch to rebel
- Civil war --> same idea but with massive switch to rebels
- More men leave joins the guerilla --> add X percent strength to rebel unit
- Some men lose hope into the guerilla --> same but negative effect
- Similar event for org
- Plunder and scavenge anything we can --> reduce prov ic for supplies
- fortify our position --> temporary dig in and defensive bonus, attack malus
- transition from guerrilla to regular army (sacrifice militia bonus for infantry bonus)
- new equipment captured (add a brigade of any up to date equipment)

What are you thought and ideas ?
What use could you think of for modding purposes of a tag that doesn't need capital for supplies and cannot be annexed ? I was thinking to use alien tag for new type of gameplay like deepening the rebel gameplay. REB tag would be to represent protesters, political dissidence and low intensity guerilla while Alien tag would be used for stronger rebellion with real military and production capacity (I would debuff op modifiers and change sprite ofc). Province would switch from reb to alien randomly so small rebellion may turn more dangerous than expected and lead to real wars without the need of specified tag... (I m trying to improve sandbox experience since my mod is a century long...). It could still be able to liberate existing tag for more dynamic campaigns :)

Hi !
I made a compilation mod for the period 1914-1999. Since I'm a lazy man I only made a 1914 start date. So to be able to play a nation that didn't existed at the start of the game I had the idea to make rebel playable so I can actually fight to free those tags and play them.

Turns out the experience was fun ! So I'm thinking about adding event for the rebel. Few things to have in mind :
- you can actually produce unit with rebels
yes
- you have to use supplies for unit, ic to reinforce and upgrade units
///they are a country with special rules kind of
- no tech tree advancement so far
///its dependent on the tech of where the rebel spawned.
- no need to be lined to acapital for supplies.
///no ofc not
- you play EVERY rebels on the map
///yes and im not thrilled with this. Why should everyone regardless of ideology, will or even the ability to contact each other be under the same supreme commander. The AI plays rebel as many rebels not a single force, and they have many negative sides for obvious reasons and they were never meant to be human controlled so they got some unrealistic cheat tier buffs to org instead. They seem to me to be designed as a side function to countries designed to be played and be a representation of that country losing control over part of itself, maybe all of itself. What do rebels do for you when u play them, because Im not sure I understand.

So far my ideas for events are :
- Army rebellion & coup --> tired of coup just being an event ? Here, high dissent may cause one or two troops to switch to rebel
///Yeah you can do that sure. At what point do you stop being rebel and start being a country though and if so, given that youre every rebel, which country
- Civil war --> same idea but with massive switch to rebels
///Okay lets take spain as an example. How would it be better if the Franco side were rebel and also controlled every arab, carribean or asian militia rebel that may pop up? How ///is it worse? Does the rebel traits such their very op org regain modifiers suit and balance with the conflict?
- More men leave joins the guerilla --> add X percent strength to rebel unit
///and less IC for the province, presumably.
- Some men lose hope into the guerilla --> same but negative effect
///sure hearts and minds thats a thing
- Similar event for org
///you need to look up the unique way rebel org works because I think you havent and as you mention yourself its important >)
- Plunder and scavenge anything we can --> reduce prov ic for supplies
///yeah thats rebel af
- fortify our position --> temporary dig in and defensive bonus, attack malus
///bit maoist but ill take it
- transition from guerrilla to regular army (sacrifice militia bonus for infantry bonus)
and when from guerilla to new government of new country?
- new equipment captured (add a brigade of any up to date equipment)
smart event idea

What are you thought and ideas ?

///As a gimmick, playing as rebels and doing rebel stuff sounds good, but everything with civil wars going on and being fought betwen rebel and state is in my opinion bad, the proper country should form as soon as they hold the right provinces for the right amount of time so that normal gameplay mechanics can be used with them.

///I have a concern though, rebel units tends to be chased by multible army divisions, and to fight tens of thousands of men, you need about that many, even though rebels are OP, AI is dumb and you have specific traits to make you suited for retreat, the AI will just detech divisions and follow you until they catch up and you die. In addition they might have airplanes.

I dont think this game is great for rebel simulation gameplay but its a fun idea.

///If your goal are of improving sandbox experience then consider that Keiserreic has had a team working on it for many years and has not arrived at proper event chains for the mid 40s yet. I believe the giant time frame is possible, but I cant see why pick a game that is clearly not designed for the purpose of a century long campaign and then try to mold it into it? You can probably have better success in other games with that ambition

What use could you think of for modding purposes of a tag that doesn't need capital for supplies and cannot be annexed ? I was thinking to use alien tag for new type of gameplay like deepening the rebel gameplay. REB tag would be to represent protesters, political dissidence and low intensity guerilla while Alien tag would be used for stronger rebellion with real military and production capacity (I would debuff op modifiers and change sprite ofc). Province would switch from reb to alien randomly so small rebellion may turn more dangerous than expected and lead to real wars without the need of specified tag... (I m trying to improve sandbox experience since my mod is a century long...). It could still be able to liberate existing tag for more dynamic campaigns :)

I didn't post anything yet because I started modding for myself by downloading mods and changing few values to understand how it works. I then tried to compiled lot of mod together. The thing is I never asked anyone authorization to do so and I didn't keep a record of what I took from who... and I basically used every mod that exists even the one at page 97 of the forum x)
Honestly I was thinking to just publish it, credit every hoi2 modders that existed and hope people will understand...

Thanks for your feedback !

I wasn't thinking reb should replace a tag in civil war. If an event exists for a civil war that's good (I think about russia for instance). But what about england for example which have lot of tags for a civil war. The idea is encourage the rebel chance to succed in their rebellion by switching unit under their control. I vanilla 2 or 3 militia or infantry units have few chances to free scotland. But imagine those 3 militia + a few units really equipped (with brigade or armored division) and taken for the native tag. Those units can represent dissident soldiers than joins the rebellion (scottish soldier that used to fight in British Army for example). This increases the chance reb unit occupy the province needed to release a tag. When a tag is release, usually all rebel unit become part of the tag release. Scotland army would now be composed of those varied units and really feel like a liberation army. As this tag war would continue and maybe see a winner or stalemate. Im working on AI so AI doesn't always fight till death and have better idea when it is winning or losing. Also I reworked a rebel so they start less powerful and have less manpower and org regain. A true rebellion should only occur if rebellion is left unchecked or if random event helps it.

So far that's the general idea, AI work and rebel changez are done but events are not done. I hope you can try it soon :)
I hear you for the sandbox experience, DH isn't particularly made for this and another game would be easier to mod but DH is close to my heart and i have a solid knowledge of how it works so it's the game I enjoy spend time to mod :) i ve been working on this mod since i started modding (10 years) it s my weakness i just love this game :p