• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jun 11, 2008
I posted the following message on the Frictional Games forum last night:

"After installing from the CD and installing the update from the web, we can't get the game to start. We get the error 'PDX2707EU - Insert original disk'. So we put in the program CD, the DVD drive takes a long time to read the disk and the error is "Unable to authenticate the original disk within the time limit." Then eventually the Program Setup Wizard pops up (although it's already installed).
We have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop w/ Intel Core Duo processors (1.66 GHz) and 2 GB of RAM, running Windows XP. We've check a few threads about this issue, have tried changing the date/time (to GMT), uninstalling and installing again, but no luck. HELP!!"

I received a reply today from the PBP developer:

"Please contact Paradox (paradoxplaza.com) when experiencing problems with the copy protection of the CD. We don't know much about how it works or have any general troubleshooting tips.
My only tip would be to make sure the surface of the CD is clean! Try and run windows update or similar to see if there are any system or driver updates. Or authenticate the game first with the 1.0 release(by installing and starting the game) and then install the patch afterwards."

The CD is clean, my windows system is updated, and it still won't run. The disk I bought is a UK edition, but I was told it was okay.
Can you help?

It worked once...

2Coats said:
Can you get that DVD disc to run using another computer's dvd drive?
It worked on the other computer, so I un-installed, defragged the hard drive, and re-installed from the CD. The game began running, I configured the options, took the tutorial, then started the first game. At that point, the screen turned black, esc didn't have any effect, and I couldn't get the Windows Task Manager to run. I hard booted and tried again, but it wouldn't work.

The same PDX error popped up, only this time it had a web address for a security (copyright?) developer:

http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=copy

I followed the troubleshooting guide, still didn't work, so I ran the analysis inherent on the CD and sent the report to them. At this point, I'm curious about why the game won't work for me... I'm not sure if all this time is worth a $19.99 game. Maybe the internet downloads don't have this problem, but who knows?

Thanks for your help... if the problem has a solution, I'll post it on the forum.

Well done. The game is worth the $20. :)

There does seem to be a problem with some copies for some people. I myself have a physical copy and have no problems. Ive always found that laptop drives are more trouble than they are worth, not the game CDs;)

It maybe worth your while to borrow an external (USB) DVD/CD drive and see if that works. If it does, it may be worth getting one for yourself if you come across this problem again.

If it doesnt, then Id suggest if you can return the physical copy and download a digital copy.