• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've played up to 1590 and saved just before formation of Italy. Upon forming I've played some more only to find out that my costs and tech progress are up, why? Well, I didn't know that Italy ain't member of HRE. Bavaria wouldn't let me back in no matter what. Now, I'm in dilemma. To form or not to form :)

Pros:
- Free core on Parma
- 2 steps towards centralization
- Random plus 2 tax base

Cons:
- Leaving HRE and therefore all positive effects HRE gives like cost and tech investment reduction
- National colour is strange kind of green which I can't stand looking, at least I'm not used to it
- Capital province becomes Rome and if I want it back to Friuli I have to pay 1000 ducats (and I would rather build infrastructure and colonies)
- Did I mention that green colour? :D

I'm open for suggestions at this moment. Feel free to offer your opinion. Should I pursue Antonio Caetani's dream of forming Italy or keep playing as Aquileia?

Form Italy!

Stay as Aquilea. Italy is some 19th century nationalistic concept, but you are the Holy State of Aquilea!
Just because Rome conquered all of Italy it did not become 'Italy', nor did Macedon become 'Greece' because it became overlord of Greece.
You shape history and the future, not otherwise. :)

Lay the foundations of a truly Aquilean Empire!
The Queen of Adriatic shall be forever remembered!

4.2. Island of torture (1541-1551)

section0402.jpg

During early 1540s people in Aquileia were living better than other Europeans. High income, lowered taxes and plentiful of exotic goods available to them ensured the best posssible quality of life at that particular moment. Colonies in America and Africa were stabilizing and becoming self-sustaining one after another. Everything Filippo III and Antonio II did was in favour of Lombard peasants. But archbishopic duo were more or less in dilemma. Should they pursue creation of unified Italian nation? Or should they declare Aquileia as home for all Latin people around the world? First option had to drain budget a little, stop some infrastructure projects as well as further colonization. Not to mention potential changes in religious movement around Europe. Aquileia and it's Archbishop were cornerstones of true Western Christendom. As such it was recognized throughout the world and creation of Italy could do some setback on that issue. Only non-Catholic province in Aquileia has been succesfully converted during summer of 1541 as Istrians embraced Catholicism roughly 25 years after spread of reformation hit them.

4200.jpg

L'anfiteatro di Pola hosted religious festival in August 1541 as Archbishop Antonio II ordered celebration following Istrians coming back to true faith

Archbishopy wasn't engaged in war for five years since guaranteeing Epirus independence in Eastern Roman Emperors war between Byzanths and Trebizondians. Things changed in February 1543 as Antonio recieved call to arms from Croatians who declared war on Wallachia. Aquileian eastern neighbours and faithfull allies were expanding not only in Balkans but also in Minor Asia and they were eager to capitalize on protection they enjoyed from Aquileian Archbishops. Croatian aggression on Wallachia lasted for 14 months ending in vassalisation, but war didn't end before 1545 as conflict became regional with inclusion of several Orthodox nation on opposing side. Archbishop of Croatia earned almost one thousand gold ducats in peace treaties as he used conquests done by Aquileian vassals during negotiations. Golden eagle armies weren't involved, Antonio only sent his navy to provide naval blockade of Mediterranean ports.

Parts of letter Filippo III wrote to Antonio II on July, 2nd 1547

My dear friend,

I'm so pleased to be able to send you several good news regarding our colonies in America. We have done so much that I'm more than sure we will be able to expand into inside of continent, north and south of Nuovo Mare Aquilese. As I've already written to you in last letter, I sent expedition to lands between English and Castillan holdings in southern part of continent. Results were fantastic. Only messengers came back as whole expedition, with it's 350 people, settled on shore and during past 13 months additional 250 men and women went there as well. Gap between England and Castille is filled with Aquileians.
Last year I had several diplomatic talks with leaders of three nations we border in the new world: Mayans, Aztecs and Creeks. I have arranged some help for them in terms of new technologies, weapons and building materials in exchange for food and peace. We should aim at peace with natives as they aren't much of threat to us. However, worries are than other nations may attack them and therefore I'm more than ready to provide them with weapon technology, protection and several military teachers to work close until they improve.

Early in 1549 Kingdom of England declared it's first bankrupcy, first of many that would follow in next few decades. Aquileia, unlike England, didn't have financial issues and it could proudly announce that textile manufactury in Piedmont finished with construction and was open for bussines at very same moment. Infrastructural investments were increased and dragged Aquileian economy forward. But prime news from 1549 came to Udine in November. Castillans declared war on Creek on October, 14th immediately moving into hostile territory. Creek formed special units who used tactics of hit and run burning Castillan settlements as retaliation. However, news Archbishop Antonio II received were horrifying.

Letter Amadeo Ludovici, colonial governor of coastal provinces in Nuovo Mare Aquilese, wrote to Antonio II on October, 31st

Your Grace,

I have to pass you the news of sudden death of our Archbishop Filippo III three days ago. His missionary camp, located in province of Carinzia near border with Creek was attacked during the night. All 48 men were killed and scalped and their bodies were found in the morning by regular bordering patrol unit. People in the new world are shocked and in fear, leaving me no other option, but to, as second in charge and direct deputy of Filippo III for military issues, order all of our troops located in the new world to attack nation of Creek. We are no longer living in peace with Creeks.

4201.jpg

Painting of typical Creek town

War, declared by colonial governor, was quick as technologically advanced Aquileians stormed through Creek nation, taking town after town, province after province. Creeks fought on two fronts and were eager to sign peace in March 1551. Alabama peace treaty saw their original lands ceded from them with capital of Alabama being isolated.

4202.jpg

Antonio's intelligent peace deal with Creek forced Castillans into signing of white peace in 1564 as they were unable to conquer capital without military access through Aquileia

Archbishop Antonio II took title of American Archbishop and had to name new colonial governor, with wide spectrum of ruling rights. However, he was insecure about Amadeo Ludovici and his friends and ordered secret investigation about them, death of Filippo and war against Creek. Five months later he invited six most notable men in the new world to island of Madeira. Amadeo was hoping for title of governor, but rumours said Antonio would make three colonial territories: northern, southern and the isles. Immediately as convoy from San Antonio arrived to Madeira all people aboard where arrested. Archbishop didn't even arrive and was still in Friuli.

Trial was quick as six men were accused of conspiracy to commit treasony. As secret investigation found out they were pro-war against natives and weren't satisfied with Filippo's peace policy. When Castillans attacked Creek they immediately started thinking how to get Aquileia in war. After several meetings with American Archbishop decision was made to execute last option, assasination of Filippo III. Filippo was killed in Nuova Padova, near Aztec border, far away from Creek and steps were made to ensure that Creeks are to blame. Not only did they kill Filippo, but they also executed 21 priests, 12 guards and several political enemies, a total of 49. After trial finished they were sentenced to prison until they die. But prison of Cape Verde wasn't regular prison. It was place of horror where Archbishop's political enemies and people who have done most vicious crimes were sent. Company of 50 guards had every right to torture prisoners as they wish, and Archbishop demanded harsh treatment of inmates, but not life threatening. Mortality rate in Cape Verde prison was therefore very low and average prisoner lasted for 15 years in terrifying conditions. That's why Cape Verde prison was nicknamed as Island of torture.

4203.jpg

Aquileian holdings in America after war against Creek finished

4204.jpg

Balkan, Greece and Asia Minor late in 1551. Morea and Epirus stripped down Byzanths of territory in most recent war. Region was in flames and wars overlapped during XVI century with times of peace rare

But prison of Cape Verde wasn't regular prison. It was place of horror where Archbishop's political enemies and people who have done most vicious crimes were sent. Company of 50 guards had every right to torture prisoners as they wish, and Archbishop demanded harsh treatment of inmates, but not life threatening. Mortality rate in Cape Verde prison was therefore very low and average prisoner lasted for 15 years in terrifying conditions. That's why Cape Verde prison was nicknamed as Island of torture.

That doesn't sound very christian like... :eek: