• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XXII – All Roads Lead to Rome

“Let us forget these devilish words of deceit and fracture; Huguenot! Lutheran and Papist. But let us never forsake the name of Christian”

The Holy League Renewed

The effort needed to forge the fractured French society together after the bloody foreign and domestic wars proved to be harder than the triumvirate expected. Although Huguenot ministers now preached openly from Calais to Provence, certain rifts in society were hard to heal despite the religious uniformity. Especially the regional dissent in the newly acquired Southern Netherlands proved to be a constant cause to trouble for the local military governors. Uprisings regularly took place in Hainaut and Artois and often with support from Catholic guerrillas from Luxembourg and Flanders. These attacks and revolts were very firmly put down by the military, but, to the great disappointment of Paris, the populace continued to rise in defiance. This puzzled the triumvirate government extremely much, regular peasant uprisings usually only occurred once every generation, but these attacks were the work of something deeper. To the ministers in Paris, there had to be some sort of conspiracy brewing. Unsurprisingly Rohan moved to perform a domestic investigation of the Walloon insurrections. The inquiries and interrogations the Paris government instituted as a response to the Catholic and regionalist uprisings revealed a surprisingly stealthy organisation with ties to all the important Roman-Catholic thrones in Europe. This shadowy circle went under the frightening known catholic name, the Holy League. It was clear that the masterminds behind the plot were trying to draw as much authority out of the old league that had opposed Henri IV so vigorously. The fact that it had taken considerable efforts for Sully’s agents to discover this small piece of information already spelled trouble for the Huguenot cabinet. Even more worrying was the nature of the organisation’s helmsman. A true éminence grise the person was only known as the cardinal. Other than that the French spies knew that he controlled cords that ran out to Madrid, Vienna and Rome.

eminence.jpg

The Catholic international organisation was full of mysteries. Every clerk from monk and friar to bishop and cardinal could be a member.

By July 1616 the French government got into its possession disturbing information as documents found on arrested Spanish monks revealed the plan to remove the Huguenot governors in southern France and replace them with Catholic émigrés. The real problem wasn’t as much the fact that foreign monks served in the ranks of a domestic French opposition group, but rather that these clerks were caught as they tried to sneak into the papal enclave around Avignon. When the French guards made moves to stop them, they ran, as a Huguenot watchman noted; “..as fast as their legs could move under the dress.” Some of the suspects made it back into Avignon and when the French demanded them to be handed over, the Catholic commander responded by firing off warning shots from the fortress’ ramparts. The world was bracing itself for a confrontation between the reformers and the very fundament of the Catholic faith, Rome itself.

Papal Crown and Sceptre

The pope’s denial to handing over the remaining Spaniard conspirators provided the triumvirate with an excellent opportunity to remove two of the League’s supposed major strongholds; Avignon and Liége. The count-bishop of Liége was in alliance with the Pope and the two old clergymen had gathered a host of supporters, chief amongst them was Venice, around them. These two points of Catholic resistance were highly annoying to the Triumvirate. Just having a papal enclave within the very kingdom of France was a monstrosity; the recent scandal had proven that beyond any doubt, and the count-bishop of Liége had been known to give radical Catholic preachers shelter when they fled from the French authorities. However more solid proof was needed before the French triumvirate could justify outright war with the throne of St. Peter. Even though the regency had the support of the army, the people, the church and the nobility they still needed to tread softly[1]. Sully had his best men “treat” the captive Spanish friars enough to make them forge certain documents that highly compromised the papal role in the plans for a coup d’état in southern France.

forges.jpg

Documents are forged.

When pope Innocent realised what way the wind was blowing he wasted no time on a diplomatic defence (which would have been slightly hypocritical as it was pretty clear that the Papal States had some financial and political ties to the League) but rallied his allies instead. He also sent pleas for help to the Habsburgs who had fought the Valois dynasty out of Italy years before, however, 1616 wasn’t 1559 and the Habsburg powers were a far cry away from Cateau-Cambrésis[2] and Marciano[3]. Furthermore Austria was deeply occupied with Bohemian revolts, where Protestants rose up in anger over the Catholic forced conversions and Spain was tumbling with intern problems as nobles schemed against their king Philip. The Pope couldn’t count on any support from the great Habsburg powers, but he still had a sizeable amount of Italian allies. The Grand Duchy of Tuscany, Mantua and the Republic of Venice all stood by the Holy Father and the prince-bishop of Liége.
Surprisingly, the Republic of Sicily announced that it would stand by the side of its Italian sister states in defence of the only true faith. Sully didn’t seem to mind the Sicilian exit as there was bad blood between himself and Sicilian council. This was mostly a result of the Peace of Antwerp where Sully had denied the Sicilians complete control over Spanish Naples after the war.
Yet the rest of the Reformed Alliance eagerly joined the fight against the papists. Soon English, French, Walloon, Dutch and German soldiers would march the roads to Rome.

overallcamp.jpg

Sides are chosen

[1]I think it’s excusable for the marshals to be able to declare war, as they hold almost absolute powers within the kingdom, plus they have solid support from England-Scotland and Flanders.
[2] Treaty that humiliated France after the Italian War between Henri II Valois and Charles V Habsburg .
[3] Battle during said Italian War.

You should limit the extent of your borders at Lorraine, the Free County of Burgundy, Avignon and the Savoyard provinces. Then, and only then, shall France be complete. :cool:

I doubt those pesky Italians will stand a chance against the might & fury of the Protestant world...

@mandead

I have all of those provinces in mind, but I am also strongly attracted to the idea of a French controlled Rhine.

Something along the lines of Est fidèle à la garde du Rhin?
(treu steht die Wacht am Rhein :D )

Also is that vanilla EU II?

@Gruby

I shall probably brush them aside, they are in fact quite puny.. But I need Avignon!

@Enewald

They shall do what ever it takes ;)

Oh sorry, I should have noticed the EU I graphics quality.

:D
horrible joke

Nah, I'm kidding, it's been a while since I last played EU:II and I've never used any mods for that game on top of that.

Milites said:
Oh sorry, I should have noticed the EU I graphics quality.

:D
horrible joke

Nah, I'm kidding, it's been a while since I last played EU:II and I've never used any mods for that game on top of that.
:rolleyes:

You must seek sanctuary in the decadent halls of the AGCEEP. :eek:o

Now, UPDATE! :D

Milites said:
I have all of those provinces in mind, but I am also strongly attracted to the idea of a French controlled Rhine.

Something along the lines of Est fidèle à la garde du Rhin?
(treu steht die Wacht am Rhein :D )

Than what about the French claims to northern Italy?
I thought the French renounced those claims somewhere in the 1520's, but that shouldn't stop Henry's son from taking action there. Perhaps even march on to Rome itself...

Well as far as I know, the French claims in Italy were abbandoned after the last Italian War.

@ mandead

In due time, in due time ;)

mandead said:
You should limit the extent of your borders at Lorraine, the Free County of Burgundy, Avignon and the Savoyard provinces. Then, and only then, shall France be complete. :cool:
True. The catholic powers should be punished everytime they attempt a move against France though.
And what about colonization? Isn't time for France to spread its word around the world. You can certainly not trust Spain with that...

Austria has taken much of Canada that I planned to colonize, but that could be solved..... I suppose :eek:o

Well I have a damned sociology paper hanging over my head lige a sword right now (I'm supposed to be writing an English essay as I type this :/) so the update might be held up a bit. Although I've made most of the maps and graphics.

Last edited:
Chapter XXIII – The French-Papal War

The Central Campaign

centralcampaing.jpg

The plans for the campaign against Avignon and Liege

The first target for the French armies was the Prince-Bishopric of Liege which lay in dangerous close proximity to the French and Flanders border. The Royal Army crossed the border at dusk and linked up with the amassing armies from the Republics of the Netherlands and Flanders. The armies of the Low Countries had already driven off the meagre army of the Prince-Bishop. All in all a force amounting to some 40,000 infantry and over 5,000 artillerists encamped outside the city of Liege. After a two month long siege where the defenders desperately pleaded for assistance from the Emperor and the neighbouring state of Cologne, the French forces stormed the walls and swept them clean of Catholics. The Prince-Bishop was apprehended and brought in chains to Paris to wait out the rest of the war, while his armies fled into the Bishopric of Cologne.

siege1.jpg

Liege falls

After the quick victory at Liege, the Royal Army marched south together with the Army of the East. Their target would be the second objective of the war; the Papal Enclave at Avignon. A small army numbering only 5,000 men (including a sizeable artillery corps) was defending the Catholic bastion in southern France. They were no match for the large force of Claude de Boissieu that smashed them outside the castle walls. Bewildered and leaderless without papal decree, the army fled into the very French heartland of Bourbon to seek shelter against the merciless pounding of the French armoured fist.

battle1-4.jpg

The Papist army is driven out of Avignon

In bourbon they proceeded to ravage the countryside and lay waste to the province’s commerce to such a degree that Sully hastily ordered general de Tocqueville to intercept them with as large a force as possible. Numbering an incredible 32,000 men, the army meant for the Italian invasion systematically encircled and destroyed the Roman soldiers. Of the 5,000 Romans who had defended Avignon, only a few hundred survived in French captivity. Many were bitterly tortured or burnt at the stake in mock trials satirizing the Spanish Inquisition. Unlike Henri IV who had always behaved magnanimous towards a defeated foe, Marshal de Bonne, who was in overall command of the campaign, held no such moral scruples and silently approved the Protestant violence.

battle2-5.jpg

The enemy is defeated in the Central theatre of war

Into Italy

While the Army of the East under de Boissieu encamped outside Avignon and prepared for the coming storm, general de Tocqueville led the great army of France through Savoy (which was convinced in a very brunt manner to allow French passage) and into Lombardy. It was a dream come true to many of the older members of the French military caste. The Italian Wars had long been a stain on the military honour of France since the Habsburgs forced the Valois dynasty to cede all claims in Italy to the Catholic family. Now, however, a New France was entering the rugged peninsula. Under a new religion and under the leadership of the stewards of a fresh dynasty, the French were back to revenge past deeds, with a vengeance. While the army would march through Lombardy and beat the Venetians in the Veneto area, the French fleet would set sails from Marseille and crumple the Tuscan and Sicilian naval trade through a blockade much akin to the one employed against Spain.

italiancampaing.jpg

The Plans for the Italian Campaign

The French army swarmed across the mountains and literally filled the Po-valley, according to one contemporary writer, before it steadily marched on Veneto. The Venetian republic offered only token resistance and the army soon took the city of Brescia as its base after a two month long siege.

siege2.jpg

Brescia falls to the French

With a solid base in Italy secured, the French Army of Italy moved further into the Venetian heartland. Outside Verona, the hastily assembled garrison gave battle to Claude de Tocqueville’s troops. After two hours of skirmishing, the Italians withdrew in good order in the face of overwhelming odds, leaving only 500 men dead behind.

battle3-2.jpg

The Venetians are pushed further back.

Despite the apparent success of the Italian Campaign so far, it had not been the great Triumph which Sully had hoped for. So, in order to further the French war effort, the great army was split in half, with one part moving into Romagna and further into Tuscany, while the other would continue the offensive in Veneto. France had so far smashed all opposition, but the Italian War had only just begun…

Author's note:

Sorry for the low amount of words in this update, school is hitting me hard this week :(
Also is the new style of the update better or worse than the previous one?

Last edited:
I like the new style :)

"Victory you say? Begun the Italian Wars have..."