• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
popped out from lurking to compliment you on the style you use.

Thanks for the compliment.
Still, I'm not quite sure the dialogue style will be the adequate form to use in a near future. War is closing in...
Dialogues are ok to illustrate an event, a simple situation, some projects but what about combat reports...? I'm still thinking about it and making some tests.

Since I never played HoI2, I'm not quite sure to follow you...
What you see above is the list of units a german player receive when the Anschluss is completed (roughly 8 divisions + HQs and armored train). He then just have to reorganize and to integrate them in the Wehrmacht.
On an historical point of view, a similar event should happen after the fall of Czechoslovakia. At that time, the german Army "received" enough czech material to equip 12 divisions (ID 251 and up)...
Ah, my mistake...I forgot you're using I.C.E. The vanilla version doesn't give you squat after Anschluss, but I agree with you (and the mod) that it's more realistic to give Germany something.

Chapter 8 : Warm-Up

Reichskanzlei, Berlin - 1938, May the 15th - 1530
The Führer meets Abwehr Chef Admiral Canaris (Head of Intelligence).

- "Admiral Canaris, ich grüsse Sie. Have you brought up the last report from Spain ?
- Jawohl, mein Führer... and the one from China as well.
- Sehr gut, Admiral. I'm all ears...

GpFuooQ.jpg

Spanish Front - May 1938
- Mein Führer, once again, the situation in Spain is very confused. I have to point out that our nationalists friends aren't very cooperative about sharing informations. Our evaluations aren't, therefore, not very accurate...
To our big surprise, the main nationalist offensive north of Madrid has been almost stopped by the Republicans. Apparently, they've managed to commit some troops from their southern front. However, the Nationalists are about to outflank them eastward of Bilbao.
- Madrid ? What about Madrid ?
- Mein Führer, there are heavy fighting north but the city itself is defended by strong International brigades. I don't think the Nationalists have the required strength to take the capital with a frontal assault. Several offensives south of the city have been pushed back by the Republicans. They even launched a counter-offensive which didn't went far but inflicted heavy casualties among nationalist troops.
- So... Once again a stalemate !!!
- Not quite, mein Führer. Apparently, knowing the Republicans commited troops in the North, the Nationalists have launched a major offensive in the South and it seems to be successful. If the Republicans are caught off-balance", it might be the turning point of this war...
- It's about time ; this war lasts for over 2 years now... And what about China ?

47VCbm4.jpg

Southern China - May 1938
- The Empire of Japan declared war to Communist China, mein Führer. We know that the USSR is about to offer some help to their chinese brethrens but it would be a wonder if the communist forces ever resisted the japanese Army. In a couple of months, at the upmost, everything will be cleared...
- And about nationalist China ?
- Their troops are in full retreat, mein Führer. Wuhan has fallen on May, the 2nd and Changde, Guangzhou and some other major chinese cities are in japanese hands by now. The troops of the Land of the Rising Sun are still pushing forward and despite this critical situation, chinese leader Chiang Kai-Shek stubbornly refuses peace. May be he's expecting some foreign help, from the USA mainly...
- I don't think the USA will move. These american guys are quite too busy earning always more money and building refrigerators..."

MarineMinisterium, Berlin - 1938, June the 2nd - 0900
Meeting between GeneralAdmiral Raeder, CinC Navy (OberBefehlsHaber der Marine) and KonterAdmiral Günther Guse, Chief of Naval Command Office.

- "Guten Morgen, Admiral.
- Moin, moin, mein lieber Guse. Na ? How's your trip in Wilhelmshaven ?
- As usual... Admiral Saalwächter sure get out of the wrong side of the bed every morning. May be he should seriously consider to move his furnitures. I caught both him and Dönitz right in the middle of a meeting.
- Hey, hey... Sure they were "plotting" behind my back. Same ol' sealines interdiction song, gell ?
- What else, Admiral... Our U-Boats construction plan will be completed by beginning of 1939 and Kapitän zur See Dönitz would like to start the construction of 18 new boats : 12 of type VII and 6 of the type IX.
- Does Dönitz know about our current production difficulties ? Steel won't grow on trees, so far I know.
- Yes he does, Admiral. But so far I could see our construction plan goes pretty well :
Both battlecruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are almost ready and they'll start their sea trial very soon.

OBjXdTD.jpg

The construction of the Battleships Bismarck and Tirpitz are running according to the schedule, even a bit ahead.
The heavy cruiser Lütsow is also on schedule and I have good hope that it will be the same for the Prinz Eugen and the Seydlitz. We even have completed 6 brand new destroyers and the construction of the remaining 12 in underway. Obviously, the Führer did listen to your recommendations, Admiral.
- Almost, mein lieber Guse, almost... The aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin is still waiting for materials. What about the training programme ?
- It was completed too, Admiral. Actually, I have to admit that the skills have strongly improved. Of course, we're far from being a match for the Royal Navy but our men are doing very well. Another training cycle is to be desired next year but...
- Budget, mein lieber Guse, Budget !!! I've already ask a complete study for a new class of torpedo boats. I'll see what possible to get but right now, I'd prefer to get steel for the constructions. Besides, I want the Führer in a good mood when I'll present him our Z-Plan so there's no need to p... him off.
- That's why I would also recommend you to grant Dönitz what he wants for X-mas. The Führer's interest for U-boats is growing a bit more every day so it would be better to have the Führer der U-Boote on our side rather as an opponent. Btw, Admiral Saalwächter just started the conversion of some cargo ships into ocean raiders ; he calls them "Hilskreutzer". Because of their high range, they could be useful in South Atlantic or Indian Ocean and since this conversion doesn't cost much, I assumed we could let him do.
- How many of them does he want ?
- 11 are planned so far. I guess we could have 2 or 3 done per year. The first two, the Orion and the Atlantis will be ready by the end of the year.
- Well, I guess you're right. Let him play with them. What about our transport flotillas ?
- On schedule, Admiral. All together, we should soon have 16 of them which will be enough for our needs. I case of emergency, we could always requisition some ocean liners.
- Sehr gut, mein lieber Guse. Things are going well so we can go back to work on our Z-Plan..."

OKH Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1938, July the 3rd - 1100
Meeting between GeneralOberst von Brauchitsch, Chief of the Army and General Ludwig Beck, Chief of the General Staff.

- "Guten Morgen, General Beck. Is the organisation plan of von Rundstedt for "Fall grün" ready ?
- Jawohl, Herr GeneralOberst. But it's not just about "Fall grün" ; this hypothetical invasion of the Czechoslovakia is only a part of a complete restructuration of the Heer (Army). I've also worked General Fromm, because a reorganisation of the Heer was unavoidable : too many divisions, not enough command structures.
- Did you have come with something ?
- Aber sicher doch, Herr GeneralOberst ! Of course it's provisory and what I'm giving you here is a broad outline of the new structure :

Xjlbdrm.jpg

In the West, the Heeresgruppenkommando 2 will still be in charge but we're to create 4 sub-command units : the 1., 5. and 7. Armeen plus a special structure, also Army-level, the Armee-Abteilung A. All Army Corps commited to the Western front will be attached to this structure and won't no longer respond directly to the OKW as it is now.

E0M6L5i.jpg

In East-Prussia, we're going to create the 3. Armee. Because it is a remote location, this command will be in charge of all military units in this area except for the ones of the Wehrkreiss 1.
- It sounds good to me. Have you thought of the officers in charge of all these commands ?
- The choice of the commander of the 3. Armee is quite obvious, Herr GeneralOberst and...
- General von Küchler, gell ?
- Jawohl, Herr GeneralOberst. As former commander of the I. Armeekorps up there, he knows the region and the men.
- Granted ! And for the other ?
- We're still unsure. We need men who know their job but it would also be a plus point if they know the region as well. General Curt Liebmann could be one of them, as well as Kurt Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord. There are other potential candidates but we have to wait the evolution of "Fall grün" to decide. Hopefully nothing wrong will happen...
- You still disagree with that ?
- Herr GeneralOberst. I don't mind "saving" our compatriots of the Sudetenland but honestly... is this worth a war ?
- The Führer is quite sure neither France nor the UK will lift a finger and...
- Um Gottes willen, Herr GeneralOberst !!! The Führer is just a guy, a mortal like you and me ! May be he was right up to now but have you thought of the consequences IF he goes wrong ? Believe me, this man will lead us to a catastrophe. Frankly, I don't want to be held responsable for that.
- If it's the case, may be you should consider resigning, Herr General Beck.
- I'm thinking about it, Herr GeneralOberst, I'm thinking about it..."

Abwehr Hauptquartier, Tirpitzufer-Berlin - 1938, August the 1st - 1045
Meeting between Admiral Canaris, Abwehr Chef (Head of Intelligence) and Generalmajor Hans Oster, Head of Central Division.

- "You wished to see me, Admiral ?
- In der Tat, Hans. I met a young officer of the Heer a few days ago, the Hauptmann (Captain) Theodor von Hippel. Does the name sound familiar ?
- Not at all, Admiral.
- Anyway. This man served under General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, Commander of our East African theatre during the Great War. Needless to remind you the brilliant guerilla warfare General von Lettow-Vorbeck conducted against the Allied colonial troops.
- What's the point, Admiral ?
- Hippel propose to create some small, elite units, highly trained in sabotage and fluent in foreign languages, which could operate behind enemy lines and wreak havoc with the enemy's command, communication and logistical tails. He first approached the Reichswehr with this new concept but his idea was rebuffed. Apparently, the traditionalist Prussian officers saw this clandestine form of warfare would be an affront to the rules of war...
I would like to hear your opinion on that, Hans.

PYapXHk.jpg

Raising Brandenburgers
- Admiral, I find this idea quite brilliant. The main concern still remains : todays Army Top-Brass are as narrow-minded as the ones of the Reichswehr. I don't see anyone of them giving a go-ahead for this project... May be we should try to approach the Luftwaffe or, even better, the Führer himself. We all know he likes everything which is "unconventional".
- Excellent suggestion, Hans ! Get me an appointment ASAP. And tell Hippel to scour the Reich to find Slavs, Poles and other ethnics willing to fight for Germany. Every recruit had to be fluent in at least one foreign language.
- Zu Befehl, Admiral !
- Oooh, btw Hans, I've got here our last SitRep (Situation Report) from Spain...

PKWQU9E.jpg

Spanish Front - 1938, August the 1st
- Things aren't going well for the Republicans, Admiral...
- Yeap. Their southern front collapsed and our agents reported that nationalists columns are advancing toward Almeria without meeting any resistance. The fall of Madrid is a matter of days either.
- It seems our friend General Franco finally gets the upper hand. I'm quite sure the Führer will love that. A good opportunity to "sell" your concept, Admiral.
- Don't count your chickens before they are hatched, Hans..."

ReichsLuftFahrtMinisterium (Reich Aviation Ministry), Berlin - 1938, August the 5th - 1430
Meeting between Reichsmarschall Göring, CinC Luftwaffe, and Erhard Milch, Secretary of State.

- "Ahhh... Milch ! Nice to see you. You're still fighting against Udet, I've heard...
- Herr Reichsmarschall. With all due respect, the man is not up to the task and he has no sense of reality.
- Herr Staatssekretär ! Udet is a decorated hero and a former ace of the Great War !
- Jawohl, Herr Reichsminister, and you pointed it right : he WAS a great fighter pilot... 20 years ago ! But he's not suited for being responsable for airplane production. The next war will have nothing to do with the one he fought in and he doesn't seem to be aware of it. He...
- That's enough, Milch ! Look what currently happens in Spain. My opinion is that things are going on exactly like Udet sees them. All what we need is a fast and reactive air force to support the ground troops.
- May be you're right, Herr ReichsMarschall... but may be not. And what if you're wrong ?!!
- That's why you're still here, mein lieber Milch. Just in case... And that's also why I gave the authorisation to finance this study on the Strategic Air Command you've ordered in my back.
- For the same reason, I supported you by the Führer when you asked Messerschmidt and Focke-Wulf companies to develop some 4-engine airplane. I may not be agree with you but some of your theories might find some interesting developments in the future : heavy transport planes, long-range reconnaissance aircraft... Who knows ?
Anyway, how are things going on in MY Luftwaffe ?
- The production of new models is giving satisfaction but we still haven't be able to replace our old models. And I'm talking about a third of our Air Force ! Again, Udet is far more interested in building new aircrafts, or better said new "toys", rather than to have a functionary Air Force as a whole...

A2nV0t6.jpg

Some new airplanes to build II/KG 1 and KG 40
Transport planes are also a cause for concern. I took upon myself to requisition some Lufthansa airplanes to compensate our production deficiency. This way, we could be able to form another TransportGeschwader ; we also have some long-range aircrafts of type FW-200, which could be very useful for maritime reconnaissance, provided we are given time to convert those civilian airplanes to military use and to give proper training to the crews. They will form a brand new Kampfgeschwader : KG 40. Anti-ship warfare is right now out of question because the promised air-launched torpedoes aren't available yet.
We also have initiated an all-around training programme for our pilots, which will be completed before the end of the year. Adding this to the turn-over of our crews in Spain, we can expect very promising results. IF we can manage our production deficiencies, you should get a very sharp tool within the next 2 years, Herr ReichsMarschall.
- I'm glad to hear that, mein lieber Milch. And what about our airborne force ? You very well know how much the Führer wants it ready !
- I'm fully aware of that, Herr ReichsMarschall. But we only begin to have enough airplanes for training purposes. Most of our Fallschirmjäger-Regiments are still learning. The Sturm-Regiment is the sole unit being combat-ready, at least partially : we're still lacking special equipment for its Pionier-Bataillon.
The Army unit, the 22. ID, has just begun its training. So... yes, we are on the right way but it will takes a year, may be two, before the Luftlandekorps becomes a reality.
- Thank you, Herr Staatssekretär. I'll keep the Führer informed..."

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1938, August the 18th - 1600
Meeting between GeneralOberst von Brauchitsch, Chief of the Army and General Franz Halder, newly appointed Chief of the General Staff.

- "General der Artillerie Franz Halder reporting for duty, Herr GeneralOberst.
- At ease, General. First of all, I'd like to congratulate your for your promotion as Chief of the General Staff. As you know, in the past months, there have been severe differences of opinion between the Führer and your predecessor, General Beck...

KPH7cGV.jpg

General Beck resigns
- Yes, I've heard about that.
- Anyway... In the interests of the State, Beck's resignation has been kept as discreet as possible. For the world abroad, we can't afford to let dissensions appearing. Therefore, I'll ask you to keep a low profile within the next months. Time will take care of the rest...
- Zu Befehl, Herr GeneralOberst !
- Und jetzt, zurück zur Arbeit : "Fall grün" preparation is underway but there's still a lot of work to be done..."

Last edited:
also, in the Beck-event, Hitler's armband swastika is partly visible.

Last edited:
Chapter 9 : The road to war - Fall grün

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1938, September the 1st - 0900
Meeting between General Wilhelm Keitel, Chief of the OKW, General Franz Halder, Chief of the General Staff and GeneralOberst von Rundstedt.

- Meine Herren : "Fall grün" has been confirmed. The Führer want to know if we're ready. General Halder ?
- So weit, alles klar, Herr General. Our mobilisation exercise has been successful and 4 new army HQs have been created for this purpose. Right now, the Wehrmacht is over 1.2 million men (including 400.000 of the Reserve Army), of which nearly 350.000 will be use against Czechoslovakia.
Within the last 2 weeks, both GeneralOberst von Rundstedt and I, have worked on it and the final plan for "Fall grün" is now ready.
- Sehr gut. GeneralOberst von Rundstedt, your briefing, please...

ldBAvA0.jpg

Fall grün - Arbeitsstab "von Rundstedt"

- Vielen dank. Meine Herren, "Fall grün", the planned invasion of Czechoslovakia, will be performed by 5 armies under my command. These are :

BhJ4e1o.jpg

AOK 2
The 2. Armee remaining under my personal command ; General von Salmuth will act as Chief of Staff (CoS).
Based in Schlesien, 2. Armee has authority over the II. Armeekorps (General Blaskowitz) and VIII. Armeekorps (General Busch).
II. Armeekorps comprises 3 Infantry divisions, 3. ID (Petzel), 12. ID (von der Leyen), 32. ID (von Falkenhorst) and the 3. PzD (von Schweppenburg). 5. PzD was also planned but unfortunatly, only the Pz-Rgt 15 is currently combat ready and it has been added to the II. AK OoB.
VIII. Armeekorps is made up of 4 Infantry divisions : 8. ID (Koch-Erpach), 18. ID (von Manstein), 28. ID (von Obstfelder) and 30. ID (von Briesen).
Objective of the 2. Armee is to achieve a breakthrough. Once done, the II. AK will drive southwest toward Praha as the VIII. AK will march south to meet our forces coming from Austria.

7YXSHyp.jpg

AOK 8
Based in Saxony, the 8. Armee under Gal von Bock (General Felber as CoS) has mainly one task i.e. to fix czech forces on their northern border.
It is made of the III. AK (General von Witzleben) with 2 Infantry divisions - 14. ID (Weyer) and 23. ID (von Brockdorf-Ahlefeldt) -
and XI. AK (General Ulex) with 2 Infantry divisions - 19. ID (Schwantes), 31. ID (Kaempfe) - and 20. ID mot. (Schwandner).
General Ulex has been ordered to held the 20. ID (mot.) in reserve and to use it only to exploit a breakthrough.

GKJemOK.jpg

AOK 10
In the Nürnberg area, 10. Armee of General von Reichenau has a similar fixation role as the 8. Armee but consist of mostly motorised units. In such a way, its role will be more agressive and it will hardly press czech units on their western border.
10. Armee is made of XIII. AK (General von Weichs) with the 10. ID (von Cochenhausen),
XIV. AK (mot.) (General von Wietersheim) with the 17. ID (Friderici) and the 2. and 13. ID (mot.) (respectively Bader and Otto),
and XVI. AK (mot.) (General Guderian) with the 1. PzD (R. Schmidt), 1. leichte PzD (Hoepner) and the SS-Bgd "Leibstandarte AH" (Obergruppenführer Diettrich).

rhZ4vfM.jpg

AOK 12
From the region München-Passau, the 12. Armee of General von Leeb (CoS General von Mackensen) is in charge of breaking the Czech lines and to advance north by east toward Praha.
It comprises V. AK (General Geyer) with the 5. ID (Fahrmbacher), 16. ID (Heinrici) and 25. ID (C. Hansen),
VII. AK (General von Schobert) with the 7. ID (O. Hartmann), 27. ID (Bergmann) and 1. Gebirgsjäger-Div. (Kübler)
and IX. AK (General Dollmann) with the 9. ID (Osswald), 15. ID (E. Leeb), 45. ID (Materna) and the 78. Landwehr-Div. (von Tiedemann).

MS70mNz.jpg

AOK 14
Based in the region of Wien, the 14. Armee of General List (Cos General Ruoff) is ordered to achieve a breakthrough and then to out-flank czech units while driving north by west toward Praha. This area is the weak point of the czech defensive system ; it's not protected by fortifications of any kind and the flat terrain is perfectly suited for our armoured columns.
In the same time, 14. Armee has to take Bratislava and to keep there a defensive posture against the remaints of the czech forces coming from the east.
General List forces are made up of XVII. AK (General Kienitz) with the 44. ID (Schubert), 69. ID (Tittel called in sick), 4. leichte PzD (von Hubicki) and SS-Rgt "Deutschland" (SS-Brigadeführer Hausser),
and XVIII. AK (General E. Beyer) with the 2. Gebirgsjäger-Div. (Feuerstein), 3. Gebirgsjäger-Div. (Dietl), 2. PzD (Veiel) and the 29. ID (mot.) (Lemelsen).

Qv3P1RC.jpg

Reserves
To fill the gap between 2. and 8. Armee, we're going to use our reserve : the IV. AK (General von Schwedler). It comprises the 4. ID (Raschick), 24. ID (von Förster) and SS-Rgt "Germania" (Standartenführer Steiner).
The 7. Flieger-Division (Student) is in stand-by in the area of Breslau but it's very unlikely we can use it because of its low organisation and one of its regiment hasn't finished its training yet.

FpVKPwF.jpg

Grenztruppen
Watching the polish border are units of Wehrkreiss VIII, the GrenzschutzAbschnittKommando 3 and the Gruppe Schlesien (16. 30. and 72. Landwehr-Div.), as well as the GAK 13 and 14, these units being provisory detached from the FestungsKommandantur "Küstrin".

HqjmGiI.jpg

Luftwaffe
Air cover and support will be provided by the aircrafts of both Luftflotte 3. and 4.

- Thank you for your briefing, GeneralOberst. The Führer is fully confident neither France nor the UK will move. I just hope he's right...
Anyway, I'm pretty sure the czech forces won't match our Wehrmacht. We still got one or two weeks before "Fall grün" begins and I want to use this remaining time to check every details.
General Halder, make sure our troops receive all the fuel and supplies they need. I don't want to see the same problems we've experimented last March in Austria !!!
- Zu Befehl, Herr General.
- Meine Herren... Wegtretten !

Last edited:
Chapter 10 : The road to war - The Munich Agreements

ReichsParteiTag, Nürnberg - 1938, September the 12th - 1430
PropagandaMinister Joseph Goebbels and Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop, discussing while listenning to a speech of Adolf Hitler.

"...[ ] And now we are faced with the final problem that must be solved and will be solved! It is the final territorial demand which I shall make of Europe, but it is the demand which I shall not give up and which with God's help I shall ensure is fulfilled. [ ] ... Without regard to the origins of the Peoples, their national aspirations, the economic necessities, Central Europe was fragmented and new states were formed arbitrarily. It is to this process that Czechoslovakia owes its existence... [ ]
- Once again, you've done a great job, Herr PropagandaMinister. This Party Congress will sure be a success. Brilliant idea to call it "Grossdeutschland". I'm quite sure it will be a great motivation for our compatriots... and for our troops !
- Vielen Dank, Herr Reichsminister. We're now coming in to the home stretch. Sudeten German pro-Nazi leader Konrad Henlein has done a great job over there and now, with 1.35 million members, the SdP is the second largest political party in Czechoslovakia. Shortly after his meeting with the Führer last March, Henlein was instructed to raise demands unacceptable to the Czechoslovak government led by president Edvard Beneš. He issued a series of demands upon the Czech government among them, the recognition of the Sudeten Germans as an autonomous ethnic group, the separation of a self-governing German settlement area, and the freedom to decide for an affiliation with the German nationhood...
- ...which imply the Anschluss to the Great German Reich !
- Exactly, Herr Reichsminister. The Czechoslovakian government responded by saying that it was willing to provide minority rights to the German minority but it refused to grant them autonomy...

[ ]... That is the state which was later called Czechoslovakia, in flagrant violation of the right of nations to self-determination, against the unmistakable will of the nations whose rights had been violated. As I speak to you here, I naturally feel sympathy for the fate of all of these suppressed people. I feel sympathy with the Slovaks, the Poles, Hungarians and Ukrainians. However, I naturally speak only for my fellow Germans and of their fate... [ ]

- It seems the Führer share this point of view, Herr PropagandaMinister.
- Yeap... Henlein's smart provocations have paid off. Very often, the Czech gouvernment reacted with awkwardness and now, we have the crisis situation the Führer was hoping for.
[ ]... I explained clearly to Mr Chamberlain what we now regard as the only possible solution. It is the most natural one in the world. I know that all of the various nationalities have no desire to remain with this Mr Benes. However, I am primarily the spokesman for the Germans and I have spoken for these Germans and made it clear that I am no longer willing to stand idly by and watch while this madman in Prague thinks that he can simply mistreat three and a half million people. And I left no doubt that German patience is now finally exhausted. I left no doubt that while it is a characteristic of our German mentality to be tolerant and patient in the face of repeated provocation, there comes a moment when enough is enough ! And now finally England and France have made the only possible demand of Czechoslovakia : release the German territory and cede it to the Reich. [ ]

- Now, we have "sort of legitimity to act". I've heard that "Fall grün" was to begin no later than October the 1st.
- Herr Reichsminister, I seriously doubt we're going to have a war. Neither France nor the UK want it. You know that Prime Minister Chamberlain will arrive at Berchtesgaden on September the 15th and for what purpose if not to negociate...
- Chamberlain is weak and the same goes for his french counter-part Mr Daladier. Furthermore, I also know that Mussolini is giving us full political support. Now that the end of the Spanish Civil War is in sight, our two gouvernments are stronger than ever.
- So, finally General Franco is having success. It was about time !

m09U9ps.jpg

Spanish Front - September 1938
- The last nationalist offensive has been decisive. Saragoza and Cartagena have fallen. There are heavy fighting for Valencia but the city will fall in a few days. Nationalist columns are moving fast toward Barcelona. In a few weeks, everything will be over... and we're going to have one friend more to help us in the future.
- You mean General Franco, Herr Reichsminister ? If I were you, I wouldn't count too much on it..."

Führerbau, München - 1938, September the 30th - 1500.
The Führer meets Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop and Abwehr Chef Admiral Canaris (Head of Intelligence).

- "Mein Führer, ich gratuliere. This agreement to solve the Sudeten Crisis is another great victory of our policy.
- Ach Quatsch, Ribbentrop ! I've been forced into acting like a bourgeois politician. Meine Herren, this has been my first international conference and I can assure you that it will be my last ! The Wehrmacht was ready and I was just in a meeting with the french ambassador François-Poncet when I receive Mussolini's message. I had no other option but to accept this conference...

3tz1ju8.jpg

Protagonists of the Munich Conference (left to right) : Chamberlain, Daladier, Hitler, Mussolini, Ciano
- Mein Führer, this initiative of Count Ciano and Mussolini isn't that bad after all. You have achieve your objective WITHOUT starting a war. The Sudetenland will go back into the German Reich...

tmpGgTL.jpg

- May be, Admiral, may be... Actually, I have to admit that this peaceful resolution of the Sudeten Crisis has brought some positive aspects :
First, I could see how outmoded are these so-called democracies. They have betrayed an ally and they're happy with it. See what happened in France or in Britain when Daladier and Chamberlain came back. They were greeted with acclaim ! Obviously, I was right once again : nobody over there wants to die for Czechoslovakia.

Chamberlains Return - Heston Aerodrome, England - 1938, September the 30th.
The stakes weren't that high after all and I feel confident we could "put more money on the table". For me, Czechoslovakia is already history ; it's now just a matter of time. By tomorrow, our troops will march into the Sudetenland but it's only a first step. Czechoslovakia is defenseless and weakened now. She has lost her fortification line, roughly two-third of her iron and electricity production and our population has grown up of 3.5 millions german citizens.

mfzSBcy.jpg

- That's right, mein Führer, but I still recommend cautiousness. People are versatile as you know and some politicians in France or in UK might be ready for a war. According to some of our sources, President du Conseil Daladier would have told his aide "Ah, the fools !" when he saw the crowd acclaiming him on his return in Paris. He sure knows you won't stop right there.
The same goes for Chamberlains main political opponent, Winston Churchill. In a speech to the House of Commons, he bluntly stated, "You were given the choice between war and dishonour. You chose dishonour, and you will have war."
- Come on, Admiral... You sound like all those officers who begged me to cancel "Fall grün". And that the second interesting point : these "feine Herren" now see that is not only useless but also stupid to go against my will ! Don't you think, Admiral...?
- You forget another important point, mein Führer.
- Which one, Ribbentrop ?
- The Soviets, mein Führer. As you know, they had a mutual military assistance treaty with Czechoslovakia, like France and Britain. They also had a pact of mutual assistance with France since 1935. On the other side, the British and French, however, mostly used the Soviets as a threat to dangle over the German Reich and...
- To the point !
- Mein Führer... There is no doubt that soviet leader Joseph Stalin will be upset by the results of the Munich conference. But he also might come to the conclusion that the West has actively colluded with you to hand over a Central European country to Germany, causing concern that they might do the same to the Soviet Union in the future, allowing the partition of the USSR between the western powers and the Great German Reich.
May be we could use this belief to lead the Soviet Union to reorient its foreign policy towards a rapprochement with us...
- Interesting... Very interesting...!!!"

Last edited:
Ha! I have confess...you fooled me with your previous update showing German forces poised to strike at Czechoslovakia. I actually thought you were going to attack. I have to love that you're taking your roleplaying to the degree where you'll actually poise yourself at the border to fulfill the illusion of reality. Great stuff :D

Poor Chamberlain. He's doomed to go down as one of the history's biggest fools. He was so cruelly duped by Hitler and his intentions were so good :\ (although he truly did hang Edvard Beneš out to dry). He also had one of the weirdest haircuts I can think of...one red stripe short of Neapolitan ice cream. He really should have lightened up on the brill cream :)

Really good update Nicegil. You've got me hooked.

Ha! I have confess...you fooled me with your previous update showing German forces poised to strike at Czechoslovakia. I actually thought you were going to attack. I have to love that you're taking your roleplaying to the degree where you'll actually poise yourself at the border to fulfill the illusion of reality. Great stuff :D

Poor Chamberlain. He's doomed to go down as one of the history's biggest fools. He was so cruelly duped by Hitler and his intentions were so good :\ (although he truly did hang Edvard Beneš out to dry). He also had one of the weirdest haircuts I can think of...one red stripe short of Neapolitan ice cream. He really should have lightened up on the brill cream :)

Really good update Nicegil. You've got me hooked.

Nice to see you "hooked". I confess, I'm following your AAR with as much interest ! :eek:hmy:

Sorry to have you (and may be some others) fooled... Mhmmm, actually, I'm not. :p

Mainly, I was expecting to kill 2 birds with one stone :
- First, and because this AAR intends to be "historical" (at least up until 1941), I wanted to follow "the path". And YES, roleplaying is fun and since there aren't that much stuff to do with my units so why bother...?
Experience of previous games also showed me it was easier to find units when you jump from one OoB to an other (i.e. Fall grün to Fall weiss).
The building of german corps and armies is quite logic when you've got some historical knowledge.
- Second, since the OoB for Fall grün was quite big, I wanted to see how I could display it at best ; let's see that as a kind of "rehearsal" for the next on-coming OoBs. I still got some concerns with the picture resolution. May be I'll PM you on that point.

Yeap... Poor Chamberlain. History can be cruel, sometimes...
But beware of shortcuts ! Historical events, characters, weren't seldom in reality what we believe they are. WWII, as an example, is full of myths. We're still learning a bit more every day.

Last edited:
I continue to lurk in silent admiration to your determination to adhere to "the path".

Sweet! I'm super excited for hostilities, good luck!

Sorry if you were expecting war right now. You'll still have to wait a bit but 1939, September the 1st is closing in... :)

Subscribed !! Nice piece of work, keep it up :)

I fully intend to !!! Things are going to be interesting now...

I continue to lurk in silent admiration to your determination to adhere to "the path".

That was my goal from the very beginning. Besides, and I won't teach you anything on that point, the german full OoB is quite complex (and big !) so it's better to go "smoothly" to make sure I won't forget something important (like the 'Oberost' occupation forces for instance...).
Thanks for the "silent admiration" but the opinion of an experienced player like you is as much valuable.

Chapter 11 : Good news

ReichsWirtschaftsMinisterium (Ministery of Economics), Berlin - 1938, October the 5th - 1000
Meeting between Walter Funk, Ministry of economics, and Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop.

- "Guten Morgen, Herr Reichsminister. Na ? I've heard your trip in Sweden has been successful.

esRNCg8.jpg

- In der Tat, mein lieber Funk. The agreement I've signed was vital for the Reich. We now have a regular supply of high-grade iron ore, enough to cover the needs of our industry.
- In such a way, we would be able to stop some imports from other countries, which is good for our budget. We could even increase our imports of other rare materials, food (supply) and still have a positive balance. Between you and me, it was about time : Schacht, my predecessor, was right and we are still running very low on almost everything : oil, fuel, rare materials, supplies...

AVEVhVj.jpg

- Yes, but it's going to end. Now, mein lieber Funk, you'll have enough cash to provide our industry what it needs... and Admiral Raeder will have enough steel to build his costly toys...
- I just hope he will remember that when we're going to need "his toys"...
- That is...?
- Herr Reichsminister von Ribbentrop : have you looked at a map recently ? As you know, most of our iron ore come to our ports through the Baltic Sea.
- Yes, our own private lake and...
- Herr Reichsminister ! The Baltic Sea is FROZEN in winter !!!
- That means, our iron ore has to be send to the port of Narvik, in Norway, then to be loaded on freighters to be send to Germany.
What will happen if we are at war with Britain, mhmmm...?
Do you seriously think the Brits and their Royal Navy will let our freighters to sail freely without trying something ?!! Come on, Herr Reichsminister, wake up !!!
- I see your point. I'll have a word on that with Admiral Raeder..."

Reichskanzlei, Berlin - 1938, October the 21st - 1400
The Führer meets Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop.

- "Aaahhh... Ribbentrop ! I was waiting for you ! Is it true ?!!!
- Jawohl, mein Führer. The last remaints of the republican forces have surrendered : General Franco has won ; the Spanish Civil War is over !

YYzVuQv.jpg

The Spanish Civil War is over !
- Endlich !!! Nearly 30 months of war... It was about time. i'll ask Keitel to get back our men from the Legion Condor as soon as possible. I want a big welcome, in Hamburg first, then here in Berlin. I want the german people see our true heros ! No doubt, General Franco will be grateful to us for having helped that much. I was right ! Once again I was right !!!!
- Of course, mein Führer. Although, Herr Doktor Goebbels and Admiral Canaris are quite sceptical about him... Both think that now he has what he wants, General Franco will ditch us without remors.
- Ach, Unsinn...! Admiral Canaris is too cautious and Goebbels... Because he is a snake, he also sees snakes everywhere. You'll see, Ribbentrop, as soon as I'll meet him, General Franco will pick up our side !
- Aber sicher, mein Führer !
- So... What about China ? Any good news ?

6eXbbF1.jpg

War in China - October 1938
- The japanese troops are still moving forward. On october the 10th, Guilin has fallen ; that was one of the last major cities the chinese held and it seems that the end is also in sight. In a few months at the latest, our japanese ally will take control of China, mein Führer.
- I knew it !!! I knew the Japanese Empire was a better ally as China. Well, it seems eveything goes fine for us...

OKW Hauptquartier Wünsdorf - 1938, November the 2nd - 1030
Meeting between General Wilhelm Keitel, Chief of the OKW, Erhard Milch, Secretary of State (RLM) and General der Artillerie Franz Halder, Army Chief of Staff.

- "Meine Herren, the parade of the Condor Legion was a real success. I'm proud of you and of your men, as does the german people.

HjYdtPk.jpg

The Liners Robert Ley, Wilhelm Gustloff and Deutschland are bringing back the Legion Condor - Benefits of the Spanish Civil War
Milch, did the ReichsMarschall Goering enjoyed the show ?
- Herr General Keitel, you know better than me that HERR ReichsMarschall Goering is always pleased when HIS Luftwaffe is being praised...
- Please... Don't make me laugh and let's be serious for one moment.
Fact is that this spanish affair was a wonderful "bed test" for our troops and I wanted you to give me a situation report on all the benefits we drew from it. Milch ?

dK21095.jpg
- Well... if "one" had listened to me, the benefits could have been greater. However, I have to admit that our fighter pilots did learn a lot over there as well as close air-support pilots. We have improved our tactics, mainly in dive bombing and our new Ju-87 "Stuka" performed better as expected. Ground control and ground forces coordination have also been improved but we had to wait for the return of all our specialists to start a full-scale training programme on that.
- Good, take good care of that, mein lieber Milch.

General Halder, what about the Army ?

Tq0c5lr.jpg

- Herr General Keitel. We have to consider two aspects : the first is about the material. We have been able to use tanks on a real battlefield and from that, we have drawn very valuable lessons on what tanks should have... or not. Experience showed us that the Pz I was definitly obsolete and that we should keep the Pz II for reconnaissance purpose only. In the future, light tanks should be better armored and they should get, at least, a 37mm gun like the Pz 35 and 38 of the Czech Army.
A slight identical conclusion came to us concerning medium tanks : we have strongly underestimated the constraints on the battlefield and we have to review some parameters a.o. their main gun which should be at least 50mm as Guderian asked for. I'll go to the Heereswaffenamt (German Army Weapons Agency) to talk to Director Karl Becker about that.
- In the same time, ask him why the programme of this new heavy tank takes so long. Please, go on...

klQ7JKS.jpg

- Danke. The other good point is that our troops learned a lot. The basics of Schwerpunkt and Blitzkrieg aren't a secret anymore and we expect much more in a very near future. I have to confess, I had some doubts at the begining but not anymore. The Panzerwaffe is on the right way : the only thing we need now is the proper material, real tanks !
- I'll plead in the sense too but don't expect too much, General Halder..."

Last edited:
So the effect of the finished Spain campaign is instant research on the specified doctrines? Or just sped up?

you get a reduction in the time needed for the research. mind that this is Semper Fi, ICE mod. in vanilla, the only benefit is improved relations with Nationalist Spain.

So the effect of the finished Spain campaign is instant research on the specified doctrines? Or just sped up?

you get a reduction in the time needed for the research. mind that this is Semper Fi, ICE mod. in vanilla, the only benefit is improved relations with Nationalist Spain.

As misterbean explained, it's just a time bonus (60 or 90 days) in some fields - See which ones above-
If one tech is finished due to this bonus, the rest is reported to the next level.

Chapter 12 : Last X-Mas of peace...

Reichskanzlei, Berlin - 1938, November the 3rd - 1500
The Führer meets Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop.

- "Aaah, Ribbentrop ! Na, is it done ?
- jawohl, mein Führer. This new agreement signed has sealed the fate of Czechoslovakia. The good part is that we aren't any longer the sole country which wants Czechoslovakia to be "broken up". Poland, Hungary and even the Czech part Slovakia : everybody wants a share of the cake ! With the back-up of Italy, even France and britain have no other options but to acknowlegde.
- Wonderful !!! When can we act ?

BRfoGCZ.jpg

The first Vienna Award
- Mein Führer. We should take our time, a few months a least. A too quick reaction could be counter-productive. Anyhow, nothing can be done now in Central Europe, without Germany to arbitrate.
Besides, it would be better to let other european minor powers play their game first so we won't be "on the first line". With the collapse of Czechoslovakia, Hungary is getting "hungry" and wants a lot her former territory lost after the Great War back.
Some tensions can be expected from the Hungarians, mainly with Poland and Romania. A great occasion for us to play the "peaceful arbitrator" on the international scene...
- Ribbentrop, we won't solve our economical problems while being a "peaceful arbitrator" !
- Surely not, mein Führer, but right now, it is as important to appease France and Britain. The Munich agreements have weakened their gouvernments and it won't be good for us to face "Hard-liners" like Paul Reynaud or Churchill, at least now...
- Ja, ja... I know that. That's why I made some proposals to Mr. François-Poncet, before the termination of his mission as Ambassador in Berlin. It's nothing less that a written recognition by France and Germany of their existing frontiers and pledges for mutual consultation, eventual limitation of armaments, agreements on monetary and economic problems ; all this to improve Franco-German relations and for a general appeasement.
- I've heard about that, mein Führer. ReichsMarschall Goering showed himself extremely favourable to the plan under discussion. I will inform the Polish Ambassador in Paris ; no doubt the latter will receive very favourably the communication made to him... and to his country indirectly. I feel confident that Mr Coulondre, the new french Ambassador in Berlin, will translate into practical measures the ideas you have outlined to Mr. François-Poncet.
- Have you planned to go to Paris ?

3kAlUp5.jpg

- At the beginning of December, mein Führer. No doubt, the Frenchs will be more than happy to sign such a Treaty. Roughly, It will proclaim the necessity of peaceful relations between our two countries ; it will also take note that there are no further territorial questions between them, and that both parties recognize the Franco-German frontier as permanent, contribution to general appeasement, etc, etc... The usual diplomatic bla-bla-bla, they want to hear.
- And what about the Brits ?
- I'm quite sure they'll want to leave us as to the character of Franco-British solidarity but they'll sure point out the necessity for an improvement in Anglo-German relations parallel with the development of Franco-German relations.
- Well... It seems everyone no longer wants to remember the Sudeten Crisis. Gut... SEHR gut !!!

Abwehr Hauptquartier, Tirpitzufer-Berlin - 1938, December the 17th - 0830
Meeting between Admiral Canaris, Abwehr Chef (Head of Intelligence) and Generalmajor Hans Oster, Head of Central Division.

- "Guten Morgen, Admiral. Did you fall from bed this morning ?
- Ach, Hans ! You can't figure the pressure right now : since the Reichskanzlei decided to allow us more money to develop our networks, we MUST give the gouvernment some results. Otherwise, they will cut our fundings...

mFEVoSa.jpg

Last March, we were instructed by Reichsminister von Ribbentrop to develop our cells in South America and now he wants to know how things are going. I don't know what's going on, Hans, but first Austria, then the Sudetenland, this crazy remilitarization... All that doesn't smell good. i have the feeling we're all sitting on a powder keg and someone has a match ready...
- Come on, Admiral. It's sure not that bad. Look what happened last September : everybody thought we were going to have a war and nothing happened. Even YOU told me the Führer was, finally, quite happy with that.
- I know what I've told you, Hans, but I also know the guy ! I'll bet you : this will be our last X-Mas of peace before a loooong time, Hans !!!
Anyhow, we have a job to do : what is the situation of the Abwehr in South America ?

P3HZ0Bq.jpg

Abwehr in South America - End of 1938
- As instructed, Admiral, we have focused on 4 countries : Brasil, Argentina and Urugay first because of their size and geographical location, and Peru which is a "natural" potential ally, from an ideological point of view.
We also kept our cells in Chili and Venezuela but just as intelligence gathering : these two countries are quite too "politically enslaved" to the USA for us to try anything...
- And ? Did we come with some results ?
- Unfortunatly, Admiral, those operations take time. Because of the influence we're exercing, the 4 "target" countries are drifting toward us but slowly... very slowly. I have to confess, we suffered some set-back because of the brasilan counter-intelligence.
- I guess, our dear Foreign Minister won't be happy with that.
- Then, tell him that influencing foreign gouvernments isn't as easy as to sell some champagne bottles, Admiral !!! The situation has improved, our relationships too, but once again, those things take TIME !!!"

Last edited:
So it just dawned on me as I was reading your last 2 updates...Nicegil is from Paris, he's writing in English, and using German in his AAR. Awesome! I admire being multi-lingual.

So I have just a few questions, I noticed in the previous update you're researching Strategic Air Command. Is there any particular reasoning for that? Maybe I need to better understand what the benefits are using this mod. And it appear that an Axis Argentina (at the very least) is within your grasp. Can you share any plans you / Hans / Admiral Canaris may have with South America? Now I'm excited at the prospect that you may actually attempt some kind of German deployment down there.

nice updates Nicegil...your pace of producing updates is impressive.