• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ironrust

Private
49 Badges
Aug 26, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Magicka
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi,

I have looked at quite a few threads about DLC expansions, and I am unsure of what to pick up next.

What I have:
-Reapers Due
-Charlemagne
-Rajas of India
-Way of Life
-Sunset Invasion(regret this one)
-Republic
-Legacy of Rome
-Old Gods
-Sons of Abraham

What would be the next best one to get?

Thanks in advance

I'm partial between Monks and Mystics and Swords of Islam if you only look for ones you might get cheap, otherwise probably Holy fury before either. That's just my subjective preference though.

Conclave & Holy Fury.

Conclave. By far Conclave is the most impactful DLC in the game.

It gives necessary depth to vassal interactions, so that it is not boring to play as a vassal. It stabilizes the realm (a bit too much, if you ask me.) It introduces the favor system, one of the most useful gameplay mechanics in CK2. The amount of things you can do with favors is as astounding, with one of the most important aspects being able to interact with infidels in a meaningful way. All the other DLCs just have infidels as adversaries to be subjugated.

Also what's with the regret? Why would you bother buying Rajas of India to play in India when hordes are so much more more threatening in that part of the world than the Aztecs?

No offense but the Aztecs are a really weak horde. They're comprised of light infantry......in the 1300s. Most realms would be fuedal by then, developed to have a bunch of heavier troops built to topple these stacks 2 to 1 oftentimes. They're only really a problem if you play on random, though in that sense the Mongols are even more powerful and disruptive in that setting.

Last edited:
Conclave. By far Conclave is the most impactful DLC in the game.

What's with the regret? Why would you even bother buying Rajas of India to play in India when hordes are so much more more threatening in that part of the world than the Aztecs?

No offense but the Aztecs are a really weak horde. They're comprised of light infantry......in the 1300s.

I didnt pick up Rajas of India because I wanted it, that DLC came in a triple bundle on some deals website a long time ago, it also included, legacy of rome, and old gods.

Conclave fundamentally changes some things no matter who you play as. And you will deal with it a lot as it changes laws, councilors and education. One thing I like from the pre-Conclave mechanics is the permanent opinion penalties from many laws. People should be more upset when you tax them to death. But otherwise, the way things work with Conclave is more interesting. The education system is opaque without reading the Wiki, but it has a lot more randomness and you get less consistently good heirs, which shakes things up.

Holy Fury also adds lots of great things for Catholics and Pagans, but you encounter them a bit less often. Still something you should definitely get some time

Sword of Islam is good if you want to play Muslims, but otherwise you don't need it. Jade Dragon add some things if you play in the eastern half of the map.

I didnt pick up Rajas of India because I wanted it, that DLC came in a triple bundle on some deals website a long time ago, it also included, legacy of rome, and old gods.

Just letting you know how easy the Aztecs are. If you want to understand the terror of a threatening horde play in the Middle East or Northern India for one run. It won't just be Mongols. Seljuk, Ghaznavid, Timurids, and that Muslim Indian conquerer event are all much more threatening at the time they spawn than Aztecs are.

Aztecs are a walk in the park in comparison. They offer a nice change of pace and are a nice miniboss compared to some of the other stuff you'll see out in the East.

Last edited:
Just letting you know how easy the Aztecs are. If you want to understand the terror of a threatening horde play in the Middle East or Northern India for one run. It won't just be Mongols. Seljuk, Ghaznavid, Timurids, and that Muslim Indian conquerer event are all much more threatening at the time they spawn than Aztecs are.

Aztecs are a walk in the park in comparison. They offer a nice change of pace and are a nice miniboss compared to some of the other stuff you'll see out in the East.

As far as I recall, they were explicitly created as a fun idea and a semi-challenge to at least somewhat give an out-of-context threat to the west.
Also, I would also add that Conclave beats my other suggestions in "really recommended", but it's apparently been somewhat divisive.

If you buy them on sale or on a game key shop, you can get both Conclave and Holy Fury for the price of regular Holy Fury, so that's what I'd recommend. :)

If you don't want to do that, get Conclave unless you really want to play in random worlds.

As far as I recall, they were explicitly created as a fun idea and a semi-challenge to at least somewhat give an out-of-context threat to the west.
Also, I would also add that Conclave beats my other suggestions in "really recommended", but it's apparently been somewhat divisive.

It's divisive in the sense that people really did not like defensive pacts, which was a free feature unrelated to Conclave itself.

It carried over into the DLC itself, and these days if you find someone bashing Conclave they're oftentimes players who don't know how to play the game.

Conclave when fully utilized makes 1. realm management easier, 2. law changes easier, 3. intereligious interactions possible, and 4. Vassal interactions more in depth.

1. War Council is very powerful in that it (oftentimes) locks you 7 most powerful vassals from factioning, resulting in an exceedingly stable realm. That's not even including the non aggression pacts you can form with the other vassals to easily lock over 60% of the realm from factioning. You can do the same without Conclave, but will require a lot of children.

If you choose to forego War Council, Absolute authority gives you +2 desmense over normal gameplay, which can be huge.

2. Regarding law changes, in the base game this is determined by a vote from every lord in your realm. If you are particularly large and the law is particularly unpopular, this can take an entire generation to get that last level of Crown Authority.

Contrast this with Conclave where you can either instantly pass a law via absolute authority, or instantly (at most a year of deliberation) pass a law with a vote between 8-10 people. 8-10 is a lot easier to bribe than 100.

3. Religious interactions. Want a claim on the Byzantine Empire as some Emir in Baghdad? Buy a favor off the emperor, force a marriage with his daughter, and wait a generation. Your kids will all have a claim on that title, and that entire realm when the princess dies. In the meantime you have the Emperor as a possible ally to assist you in your other wars.

Invite the last Merovingian to your court, extending the bloodline or pressing his claim. Or as a Christian for whatever reason invite a Muslim Sayyid and breed that trait into your line.

Fear for your life from close proximity to Seljuk or the Mongols? Again force a political marriage!

4. Favors also help in other less important matters like getting your liege to press your claim for you, asking for a pardon, getting him to start a vote, getting other vassals to join your factions or vote your way, etc. A lot of interactions.

And yet people who generally complain of Conclave generally don't appear aware of these perks.

Last edited:
Also what's with the regret? Why would you bother buying Rajas of India to play in India when hordes are so much more more threatening in that part of the world than the Aztecs?

Rajas of India adds a bunch of other content as well. :) Sunset Invasion is basically just the Aztecs.

I also love Conclave but you're making it sound like a complete walk in the park. Buying favors from emperors can be extremely costly so very few low level characters will have the necessary cash flow.

The point is the option is there. Without Conclave someone of a different religion has almost zero chance to ever interact in a meaningful way with a ruler of another religion. Maybe once in a blue moon their kids would be educated in your religion and might contemplate joining your court/marrying you.

It's also cheaper than fabricating claims piecemeal over the entire empire.

I got conclave yesterday, haven't explored all options but it drastically increased my income and stabilized my realm for as long as I give most powerfull vasals(those with a fist on the appoint list) a council position. Holy fury is fantastic if you want to reform pagans, you can design your own reformed religion. You can make a religion with a missionary nature to spread it fast, peaceful nature to stabilize your realm or even get acces to the great eldership succession(you can ensure that dynasty members who hold titles you want become the heir)

Humblebundle currently has a CK2 DLC sale.