• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fernando Perla

Sergeant
3 Badges
Apr 4, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
The primary culture of Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Panama is North Andean. And, for Peru, Chile and Bolivia, it's South Andean.
I'm from Peru, and I had never heard such a thing as North and South Andean cultures before playing the game.
I know that Colombia and Venezuela are culturally similar, and the same goes with Peru and Bolivia.
But still, I don't find the criteria for those cultural descriptions. Can you help me?

Just look at Germany, the nation is split in north and south german. I assume the north/south andean split was made along the line of grand colombia, to better represent the divide between his nation and the the ones that refused to join.

It’s also probably for gameplay reasons. It’s hard enough getting strong in that area with few good resources and a sparse population. If they Balkanized that area’s culture, it would become impossible to become powerful in that area since accepted cultures are important and static in Victoria II.

Reactions:
Don't forget that number of cultures is a major driver of late game lag. Every province of the big powers winds up with ~4xC pops, so 4xCxN POPs overall.

The real reason they are called that is that people would get mad if they were called 'Columbian' and 'Peruvian'.

It might be fun to see what the game would be like if everyone in Latin American government just used 'Spanish' or 'Portuguese'. :)

Don't forget that number of cultures is a major driver of late game lag. Every province of the big powers winds up with ~4xC pops, so 4xCxN POPs overall.

The real reason they are called that is that people would get mad if they were called 'Columbian' and 'Peruvian'.

It might be fun to see what the game would be like if everyone in Latin American government just used 'Spanish' or 'Portuguese'. :)
They'd totally kick British, French and Dutch butt with a good possibility to invade north america!

The primary culture of Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Panama is North Andean. And, for Peru, Chile and Bolivia, it's South Andean.
I'm from Peru, and I had never heard such a thing as North and South Andean cultures before playing the game.
I know that Colombia and Venezuela are culturally similar, and the same goes with Peru and Bolivia.
But still, I don't find the criteria for those cultural descriptions. Can you help me?
Hi, Peruvian brother.

Victoria II is an old game, and as such, its plagued with errors like the culture of our countries, if you look at provinces of Chile/Peru/Bolivia they dont even have the proper geography right, Arica-Iquique-Calama-Antofagasta are deserts, not plains-hills. And Temuco has the "Patagonian" culture with not a single trace of the Mapuche that used to rule the zone right until the 1880s.

Also the map is wrong, Chile and Argentina did not owned the Patagonia in 1836 (also was a 1880+ thing)

We can only hope they fix this in Victoria III........

Reactions:
Yeah, a lot of the frontier areas all over the world are kind of strangely (badly) handled. From what I hazily remember of old versions of V2, it would not surprise me if they used to have Patagonia unsettled, but Russia kept showing up and taking it.

Also the map is wrong, Chile and Argentina did not owned the Patagonia in 1836 (also was a 1880+ thing)
Thank goodness we have HPM for that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chilean here

I would say the cultural differences are OK, but culture is difficult to make it binary!

Chileans share some points of view closer to Perú and Bolivia (in spite of our differences) than Colombia and Venezuela. Our countries historically tend to be "more conservative" and "religious".

This is also a common pattern from the independence, where Simon Bolivar (Colombia/Venezuela/Bolivia) picked the Republican approach, but José de San Martín (Argentina/Chile/Perú) had the Monarchist approach.

The first draft of Chilean independence claimed independence from Spain but loyalty to the king of Spain. Chile took a while to get a separation of Church and State (1925), Perú since 1980... In other hand, Venezuela and Colombia had a very Liberal point of views, leading to several struggles with that.