• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xionsi

Second Lieutenant
23 Badges
Jan 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
I keep encountering a problem when I make new game saves in my EU3, some I've worked really hard on.
I've cleared my cache, but no luck unfortunately.
All countries have their government type and leader as nogovernment and noleader.
Anyone else encountered this problem?
Are there any solutions?
Also, my capital goes to a random province, my tech and national ideas have all gone to unaltered along with having no armies and diplomatic relations.

Seems like a save file problem.

Did you try to edit your save? or they just suddenly go wrong when you reload your save file on the next playthrough?
Some languages of windows will do bad things when you edit save files using the default notepad/wordpad due to the special characters. You might need to consider using notepad++.

Either that, or files under your common folder are messed up and you need to reinstall (or right click -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of game cache on steam)

What version of the game are you running? 5.2 beta? What's the checksum of your game? (the 4 letters next to game version at the bottom right corner of game menu)

Are you using any mods that alter things like provinces, governments, advisors, and rulers?

They just suddenly go wrong when you reload your save file on the next playthrough.
5.2 beta, SCDL.
Are you using any mods that alter things like provinces, governments, advisors, and rulers? Death and Taxes

I've encountered that 3 or 4 times in close to 1000 hours playing the game. I think it's a known bug. I just reload the next-most-recent save.

But then again, I always make sure that I have multiple saves. I typically have about 6 active saves for various periods, usually up to about 15 years old. So since it seems to be happening much more often than that, that's a starter: don't rely on a single save. Set autosave to save twice a year or even once a month, but also have a series of manual saves.

If it only happens from time to time, you may just have to rely on autosaves and saving more often.

If it's happening to every single save, then you might want to look into problems with your files.
Try save/loading without a mod, see if that changes anything. If it does, you might have to bring it to the D&T forum.
Plus, taken from their FAQ
8. Is Death and Taxes compatible with the 5.2 beta?

Yes and no, whilst it should run without a CTD, there may be manpower related issues among other things. We won't be able to provide you with support either, which is why we recommend you use the 5.1.

So you might need to choose to play with one or the other, not both.

Last edited: