• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fredrik II or Mr. Kim S. with July 28th not far away do you have any new information about allowing the gamer to play in an open ended "Sandbox" mode? I have taken notice that Fredrik II is very much active in the forums and Mr. Kim S. posts new information when it becomes aval. so that is why i have posted this question to the two of you to be answered hopefully before the game comes out in stores. I do know that the two of you must be very busy with the release date around the cornor but any information would be so much better then no information. Thank You.

Which is what i stated in my previous statement :D
Yeah, but you seemed pretty distraught at there being no sandbox mode announced (as of yet).

Also, there is a multi-quote function available (next to the quote button), in case you weren't aware. This should make it easier when you need to reply to several messages all at once (instead of doing a series of seperate posts). Just thought I'd point it out to you as others have pointed out to me before.

Where did the speculation come from? What I knew so far is that the Grand Campaign will last from 1600 until 1800, and imo there really isn't much point to continue after that. If it will feel too short, that is another question, related to the speed in which the game will progress.

Just made a account to say games with time limits are evil, id much rather play for however long *I* choose to build my business instead of having that decided for me. Oh and making the game speed adjustable(how many days/weeks pass and how quickly) would be nice as well.

while im thinking about it (forgive me if these have been covered in a dev diary or something)
* producing your own goods
* playing as a female character
* Bank w/ stocks, shares, loans
* Stock system
* building customization (let me paint the church or add a wing to it, things like that)

Last edited:
EIC does have a free play / sandbox-mode. I have mentioned it to many press people, but I'm not sure how many have mentioned it in their coverage.

Effectively, it's the Grand Campaign without any goals that you would have to meet. So you can just mess around and do what you want. Naturally, if you run out of money, it's game over.

Anyways, as somebody already said, games must have goals. Otherwise there is nothing to aim for. Goals can be given by the game itself, or player can create goals for himself. Because even in sandbox you as a player are trying to do something, aint' you?

About timeline, I do not think it would be fun to play forever. And the obvious impracticality of EIC campaign going on until year 1950 or 2012 or anything else is the advancements in technology. I would find it strange to trade spices with my sailing ships in a year 1999. Having more ship models, is not viable from production point of view. And last but not least, taking a certain time period will enable the game to fit that slot, without the need to take into account not just advancement in ships but also things like Indian independence, South African independence, synthetic silk, end of imperialism, World Wars, airplanes...

You get my point :)

But what if some players think it is actually fun to play forever (not me), so the option could be there... will it? Cause you did say there is a sanbox mode, but what we want to know is whether there is an option to play forever. I dont think its necessary but others do, so why not give it to them? :rofl:

You get my point right? Why not? :p

Well actually you can do it yourself by editing the end year for the last campaign mission

Just made it end in the year 1945 or 2009 or 40 000 :)

Thank You Mr. Soares for the updated information you have provided very quickly. Even though we may disagree on just the basis of Sandbox mode I'm truly happy that we will be able to extend the timeline for our last campaign mission for that is one way around this all and it leaves it up to the customer to do it themselves wouldn't be my first choice but thank you. Even though you may not agree with "playing a game forever" at the end its about making a product that covers all sides not just one side the side you lean more towards. Lets face it some people like to play games for very long periods of time not all but some do I for one do and while some people may toss agruements about why not to play games forever at the end its the choice of the customers so thats why you really can't change the thoughts of a person but rather build a game designed for as many gamers as you can to increase sales and popularity in the game. All in all its not my choice its the devs choice as to how to market and build its games I for one would at the very least would allow the players to "truly" play a sandbox mode like that of Port Royale where they offered not only a campaign driven theme to teach players how to play but also offered a sandbox mode "Without" having to go into the actual game files to change anything to achieve sandbox mode. Again I'm very happy that we have at leaset this one option to go with but no doubt this should have at least been an option for gamers more like PR 1&2and AoP 1&2. Absoultely no disrespect to you and your team though im sure your guys have made a great game and will do well in the market of PC games. Thank you!

Last edited:
Well actually you can do it yourself by editing the end year for the last campaign mission

Just made it end in the year 1945 or 2009 or 40 000 :)

Yep, I figured this is out before. :rolleyes: But thanks for reassuring me its possible. :p If you think about it, the only problem with the unlimited time is that somewhere on the interface is says "2010"... even though maybe you spent less time on that specific game cause you altered the gamespeed likewise.

Anyways.. great news, great news. :)

thanks kim. so it looks like much ado about nothing ..

but I think I get where Xumaximus is coming from

when I begin a new game I find myself often making sure that it could theoretically go on forever. I will then never actually play it that long, but if I knew there was a hard limit, it would hamper my enthusiasm. So imo this is more about psychology than anything else and a must-have feature that you will never use :)

Of course I am happy with the solution, the game can be made to run forever.

1) producing your own goods
2) playing as a female character
3) Bank w/ stocks, shares, loans
4) Stock system
5) building customization (let me paint the church or add a wing to it, things like that)

1) No, the foreign ports produce luxury goods. European ports produce more mundane goods for export. You don't produce anything, You are a trading company - buy and sell.
2) No, you don't play as any character but you're assumed to be the abstract bosses or board of directors of your company. In the battles you command your squadron which has an admiral assigned in the map mode. There are no females. The 1600-1800 world of East Indies trading was entirely a male domain.
3) I don't think so.
4) None as far as I'm aware.
5) Nope.

thanks kim. so it looks like much ado about nothing ..

but I think I get where Xumaximus is coming from

when I begin a new game I find myself often making sure that it could theoretically go on forever. I will then never actually play it that long, but if I knew there was a hard limit, it would hamper my enthusiasm. So imo this is more about psychology than anything else and a must-have feature that you will never use :)

Of course I am happy with the solution, the game can be made to run forever.

That is what I am trying to stress the "enthusiasm" for a game now many people may agree or disagree for we game differently but you and I Global game the same :). Im sure that the game will be a major summer hit and people will forget about this topic until they hit year 1799 and have to stop playing their "Best Trading Company" in the game MUhahahaha (not us in the forum though for we know we can change the last campaign mission to the year 4000 lol :D eat that non forum people lol)

Many thanks to the nice dev for replying, many game companies devs can't be bothered so cheers for that. I will buy the game, I knew that from reading the previews on some game review sites. I havent had time to read through dev diaries or much of the forum content yet so I'm sure I'll find some time to get more versed on things in the next few days. If I had the code knowledge(or any graphics talent) I'm sure by now I would have whipped up some kind of pr2/p3/EIC/cap2 hybrid and played myself into a coma. Since that hasn't happened I look for good games made in that style. I like the time period and I like games where I have to think and the hack and slash stuff is just kind of a bonus if its there its not the heart of the game for me. As far as the time limit, I've never enjoyed games with timers that expire.. its just annoying knowing I have to hurry to build up X of whatever only to loose it and have to start again. Its not that I won't find new things the next time I play or that I can't perform the assigned tasks on time its just I want to end things when I'm good and ready, and maybe come back and pick it up later. That last bit, at least for me contributes a lot to replay ability for years vs. something that will be on the shelf in a month or two. I'd much rather buy a game(or make a second purchase from the same company) if I know I really enjoyed their last product for awhile.

~C~

edit: and for the poster who said "The 1600-1800 world of East Indies trading was entirely a male domain." heres a small list for you from another site(credit to http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/famous-women-pirates.htm) of some names you might recognise:
The most famous woman pirates were:

Anne Bonny (1719-1720) Female Pirate of the Caribbean

Mary Read - Famous English Female Pirate of the Caribbean

Lady Killigrew (1530-1570)

Grace O’Malley - Famous Irish woman pirate who commanded three galleys and 200 men

Mrs. Peter Lambert of Aldeburgh, Suffolk

Jacquotte Delahaye - Female Pirate of the Caribbean

Anne Dieu-le-veut - Female Pirate of the Caribbean

Charlotte de Berry - Woman pirate

Mrs Ching - Chinese wife of a pirate who turned to Piracy after his death

Mary Crickett (or Crichett) was a female pirate who was hung

Last edited:
Heheh when you make a statement as I did, someone always comes along with a very minimal list of examples that contradict it.

There were female pirates, yes. There were women in some positions of authority at courts and possibly even in governments. Heck, there were female rulers of nations but what I said is true:

"The 1600-1800 world of East Indies trading was entirely a male domain."

The keyword there is 'trading'. Not piracy. Not government.

And just to clarify, there are no female characters in the game as far as I have seen.

As I said there were a few significant female personalities around, but by and large trade to the Indies was dominated by men, like 99% dominated. As many things were in western societies until very recent times.

Which part of this are you struggling to agree with?