• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IITonicII

Second Lieutenant
68 Badges
Jul 7, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Hi,

I play as chief of a county in Iceland at 867, but i see there is no mercenary, so i have only few options on how to spend my money or defend myself against Norway.

Do you know how i could do without changing my capital ?

Thanks.

Increasing the rank of your primary title increases your diplomatic range, so try becoming a duke.
Wait, holy crud, it does? Well that's something new to me.

Always figured the new diplo ranges after becoming a king/emperor was just because the borders of my territory were farther out, never occurred to me the title rank itself would.

It's horrible! I'm playing as patrician of merchant republic of Iceland and 3 of 4 trade posts were just destroyed by damn pirate host and cities were looted
completely!
I'm glad I build only one of them.. I own 3 counties, except of capital. I had only 600 levies and 500 soldiers from retinue, that I got when were tribal. Pirate host had more than 3k angry northmen! So it literally impossible to win without mercenaries. I had more than 1000 gold and can't use them to defend myself. I had diplomatic relations with most of England, Sweden and chief of Saxony, that I'm allied. So in reality I would easily get mercenaries from England for example. I can spawn Saxon or Irish brigade immediately when playing Novgorod but can't get them when playing Iceland, it's completely unrealistic and mood killing.
It's can't be justified by anything.
Please fix that shameful defect. I can't believe it happens so many years after the game release.

Last edited:
if you don't like it make your own mercenary squad! :D (conclave needed)
or try to have as many sons as possible and let themselves proove as mercenaries

Increasing the rank of your primary title increases your diplomatic range, so try becoming a duke.
I have around 1700 hours of CKII, first time learning this. Amazing the little things you can still learn about this game no matter how long you play.
Ditto here ! :confused::eek:
Wait, holy crud, it does? Well that's something new to me.

Always figured the new diplo ranges after becoming a king/emperor was just because the borders of my territory were farther out, never occurred to me the title rank itself would.

You have never heard of this because it's not true, I'd wager. ;) I believe it's just what @Xenrek says: your borders sometimes expand when you take over a higher-tier title, which then increases your range. The tier itself should not affect diplomatic range according to the Wiki.

Yeah, I just asked wiki myself and there is no dich thing.

But same Religion, culture group and culture adds 100 each to to the range. Didn’t knew that.

if you don't like it make your own mercenary squad!
And why? It will be very small and also I'll get debuff for levies, at least that was experience that I had when created mercenaries.

or try to have as many sons as possible and let themselves proove as mercenaries
You mean option "assemble mercenary company"? How it differs from creating your mercenaries, isn't it same thing?

You mean option "assemble mercenary company"? How it differs from creating your mercenaries, isn't it same thing?

It's a special option only available to those who are nomads or those who hold certain bloodlines. If one of those requirements are fulfilled the option is basically available to any male child or sibling, without any need for a Martial education. The company is also always still "yours," they can't break free the same way the "regular" companies can, and you can recall the son/brother at any time after 5 years have passed. :)

Could you potentially offer land to a mercenary company leader to get them to settle? I know Iceland doesn't have that much going for it, but they did increase the number of counties a while back. When Holy Orders are available, that may work.

I know that diplomatic range never stopped me fostering kids with the Nestorian Patriarch while playing as Faeroe. So some interactions aren't limited by it.

And why? It will be very small and also I'll get debuff for levies, at least that was experience that I had when created mercenaries.

to get more units.
small? are you not aware that those mercenaries can be reinforced until infinity and beyond?
the malus you get to your holdings for maintaining that band is quite small to the potentionaly infinite units you can get from the band + that malus gets removed when that holding changes ownership