• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jingo

Recruit
32 Badges
Feb 2, 2019
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
A patrician of different house died, and all the sudden I got an no heir warning. I checked the patrician screen, expecting to find that the new member would win the upcoming election, but found this instead:

upload_2019-2-1_21-34-34.png

My designated heir did not show up. Switching designated heirs did not help (although got me a lot of opinion penalties), nor did reloading. I even tried having no designated heir and reloading, and nothing worked. As you can see though, there are plenty of eligible, unlanded members of my dynasty to be my heir.

upload_2019-2-1_21-37-24.png

This issue doesn't seem to be new. For example, this thread from almost five years year ago covers it:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/203770/discussions/0/613938693289482752/

As does this one from two years ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/4dfy66/why_do_i_suddenly_have_no_heir/

What is the cause of this game breaking bug? Any work arounds? (Those shown in the forum above don't seem to work. Although I'm candidly not sure which is the "diplomacy" screen is, I've tried designating heirs both from the minor title screen and from the character screen). Would really like to continue playing my game, but very worried that when this character dies it will be game over :(

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-1_21-32-6.png
    upload_2019-2-1_21-32-6.png
    17,1 MB · Views: 10
  • upload_2019-2-1_21-37-7.png
    upload_2019-2-1_21-37-7.png
    16,4 MB · Views: 10
I haven't had this issue, as far as I can recall, but I play a lot of republics and there's often some delay to the game realising there's a new heir. I'm assuming you've tried both these but just in case you haven't, and since it's the only thing I can think of, see if the game catches up to you if you run it a bit and try to add to the campaign fund, that can make the game update the calculations. I'm also assuming there's no problem with your unlanded family members, they haven't found their calling or something like that. Again, you've probably tried this but I'm afraid it's all I can think of.

I play republic (and nomads) a crap ton. If restarting and reloading haven't worked for you, I can provide some additional ideas on what you can do (I hope you aren't playing Ironman):
  • This may be just a graphical issue: your heir is not being shown but on your death, the succession should still proceed as usual;
  • You own a title that is not inheritable - e.g., holy orders, mercenary captains, some religious head titles;
  • You are encountering the revolt glitch - the heir situation should be resolved after you crushed the revolt (this is my best guess);
  • You can try dumping enough money into the republic race and maybe console kill Aghlabid; this may reveal your heir after the system recognized your heir as the successor to the republic