• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
EPPMeVb.png

Before the end of December, the Poles managed to lose Kamenets-Podolsky, endangering our southern flank. As you can see i've made a couple more attempts to break through at Cherkassy, to no avail.

oIq6IEl.png

Instead, I've had to scramble to try to save Zhitomir.

7yDlzvJ.png

Which the Reds of course took as their cue to attack Kiev. Oh yeah I've decided to manually fix the Lithuanian border, it was bothering me. The ownership of the provinces was correct, only the control was screwed up.

CIWxXP6.png

Despite the intervention of the Polish air force, Kiev had to be abandoned by January 12th. This is now, let's see.. the third time I'm abandoning Kiev? More significantly though, the Polish cowards fled the front at Zhitomir in panic at the overwhelming Soviet numbers, leaving me to defend the direction where 3 of my regiments from Kiev are supposed to be withdrawing to. This could end in absolute disaster.

IYlVMZa.png

The heroism of the defenders of Zhitomir shall be remembered, as they held out just barely long enough for the Kiev troops to retreat. Well, time to withdraw my garrisons from Korosten before they get annihilated and retreat back into Poland I guess.

0zmdWs7.png

Almost got in trouble in the northern direction as well, but ended up withdrawing just fine in the end. The entire salient - Kiev, Zhitomir, and Korosten, had to be abandoned. All that is left is a strip of land on the Polish border, which has some defensible terrain (forests, marshes, a couple of forts).

hTaFCz3.png

After taking over the Kiev salient, the Soviet advance in the southern direction temporarily stalled, but I noticed that they've gained Azerbaijan practically without a fight. Some local militias continue to resist but the main government decided not to fight. Soviet Russian and Turkestani divisions were brought in to clean up the remaining resistance.

we8U9gj.png

In the northern direction, the Soviets slowly inch forward and have secured central Belarus. In the southern direction, they've resumed their attempts to kick me out of the remaining strip of land I hold on the border, but to no avail thus far.

u6Fintk.png

Armenia is in a pretty precarious position now - surrounded by hostile Turkey on one side and Soviet Russia/Azerbaijan massing troops on the other side, not to mention internal Communist sympathizers itching to stage a coup.

tDNxt2g.png

April 5 - North Russia is finally finished.

QNfUTtZ.png

April 7 - "Turkestan" - representing the main two Muslim Khanates of Central Asia (Bukhara and Khiva) as well as the various anti-Soviet Basmachi warlords aligned with them, is also finished.

vr6Pkkp.png

May 2 - Armenia gives up. Georgia must be feeling pretty nervous about now.

SKfGD3W.png

Using freed up reserves, the Soviets are massing forces on the Perekop isthmus, ready to finally defeat South Russia once and for all (Denikin already resigned from leadership a while back and was replaced with Wrangel).

BOR9FQP.png

By May 17th they've finally forced me out of the remaining strip of land I was holding. With ice having melted and more and more troops coming in, the Soviet offensive is finally picking up steam. Well, if I go down, at least Poland will go down with me lol.

Oh and in a surprise move, instead of storming the Perekop isthmus, the Soviets decided to take Crimea by storming the Kerch strait.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, this got me thinking at least, what kind of other alternative history content are you going to/is included? Something like the Baltische Landeswehr winning their revolt against the Latvian and Estonian nationalist governments and holding out against the dominant Russian power till they make peace? Or perhaps even joining forces with the White Movement to take St. Petersburg in return for recognition
Tbh originally i wasn't really planning any alt-history paths except maybe White victory, i find that the game engine can barely handle the historical path - let alone alt history. Then since i decided that I might want to play as Ukraine (you can guess which events might have spurred me to take an interest in that), therefore i've also included a few Ukraine-centric events such as the possibility of semi-peaceful transfer of Crimea and Kuban, as well as the event for actually winning the war and forcing Soviet Russia to recognize those borders. The "Baltic German" path would certainly be very interesting though i'm not sure where to even start with that, the complexity of the real life situation in the baltic is only very loosely represented in the game. Right now the transformation of the "Baltic Duchy" into "Western Russia" is inevitable as it happens soon after the Weimar Germany pulls its support from the pro-German government there in the aftermath of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. Since the Versailles treaty is inevitable (otherwise there is no war in the Baltic in the first place), then the transformation of the Duchy into Western Russia is also currently inevitable. When that happens, the "Latvian Baltic Landeswehr" divisions peacefully switch sides and join the Latvian national government instead, as they did historically in my understanding. The rest of freikorps and the Baltic German army continues to fight but now under the Russian flag. Ostensibly, like all other White factions, Bermont-Avalov recognized Kolchak as the supreme leader of Russia. So if the Whites win the war, "Western Russia" gets peacefully incorporated into a resurrected Russian Empire.

I feel that given Germany's defeat in WW1, there was basically no chance that the Entente powers would permit any continuing German influence in the Baltic, let alone presense, so they would do everything possible to ensure that all pro-German forces there get wiped out, so that would probably make any game as the Baltic Germans / Baltic Duchy as doomed from the start.

Speaking of navy, I can't find the screenshot at the moment but I swear one had a ship from one of the White factions in the lakes between Estonia and Russia, did you add a connection with the Gulf of Bothnia?
You probably mean Lake Peipus, right? Yeah i've made it accessible from the Baltic (as long as the adjecent land province is controlled by a friendly/neutral nation), it was actually something I've done previously for a different "mod" entirely, but kept for this one cause i liked it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
lozkXGz.png

I am stalling for time by all available means, aided by the fact that the Soviet dissent is fairly high. However, they definitely have the numbers, and I am now once again without any territory of my own while the Soviet steamroller moves in to Galicia.

xaJ3xbN.png

Poland's dissent should be far lower and there is a "Polish mobilization" event which should lower it even further if the Soviets move too deep into Polish territory. But I still need to stall for time.

7AAW9RC.png

June 8th - finally something happens - Antonov's rebellion in the Tambow region. This is one of the scripted revolt events which trigger when the Soviet dissent gets sufficiently high plus a few other conditions are met. The rebellion is also more likely to break out if the Soviets are busy fighting Poland. Historically, the Soviets were rocked by a series of huge rebellions in late 1920-early 1921 which were big in numbers but poorly armed and rather disorganized and were all ultimately crushed. This period is also sometimes known as the "Green wave" of the civil war period, and the rebels are often grouped together as "Greens". Greens were mostly peasants and ideologically close to the SRs but did not have a solid ideology or leadership.

CsEqnvo.png

A much smaller Chechen/Daghestan rebellion also takes place soon afterwards, made up largely of Uzun-Haji's remaining supporters.

szSrcPc.png

Poland temporarily regains Nowogrodek in the north but is about to lose it again. Meanwhile in the south, the Soviet offensive continues unabated.

dJs5U5w.png

I forgot to take screenshots of it earlier, but since the fall of Omsk which happened around the same time as the Sovietization of Azerbaijan, the Kolchak regime in Siberia completely collapsed and the remaining few units went over to join the Semyonov's regime under the Japanese protection, which also lost some territory in a local coup. The Japanese then began their withdrawal from Russia under combined American and domestic pressure, and a period of peace took place lasting roughly half a year. Finally the peace period ended and war resumed, now without any Japanese soldiers present. Currently, there is no option for Japan to try to stay in Russia, because the consequences of such a move would be disastrous both from the domestic and international perspective and it would present a huge can of worms from the alt-history perspective, so the entire chain of events since the fall of Omsk is basically fixed. Oh yeah and along with Semyonov, Mongolia will also fight against the Soviets, where the infamous White Russian warlord Baron Roman von Ungern-Sternberg entrenched himself and made himself a shadow leader of the Mongolian government. By this point, practically all the moderate and reasonable people have jumped ship from the White Russian cause, leaving only semi-insane radicals like Sternberg to carry on the fight.

TZOl26s.png

Meanwhile, the Soviet advance continues, and I'm barely hanging on to Lviv. No idea what happened to the Polish air force btw, i think they lost it during the fall of Kiev because they stupidly based their fighter plane there. I wish i could figure out a way to prevent the air AI from making decisions that dumb.

7pZu5JZ.png

Another scripted huge rebellion takes place in Siberia against the Soviet rule. The conditions are more or less the same as for the Antonov rebellion, except it is conditioned to happen afterwards since historically the West Siberian Revolt began shortly after the Tambow Revolt. It is estimated that some 100,000 rebels total may have participated in the West Siberian Revolt, making it probably the largest single rebellion against the Soviet rule. Most of them, however, were very poorly armed.

pGLeAup.png

I managed to lose Lviv after all, but with Pilsudski's help I was able to quickly regain it. The "Polish mobilization" also happened I think, lowering Poland's dissent and giving it 3 extra divisions in Warsaw, though the famously wise Polish AI seemingly decided to send those divisions West instead of East. Truly, the wisdom of the AI knows no bounds.

cgWz1OQ.png

I notice that the Soviet troops appear to be leaving the front in large numbers, I think the Soviet leadership finally realized that they need to do something about those rebellions and other problems. Plus the Soviet troops themselves are temporarily demoralized and some units have deserted the front entirely. This gives me the opportunity to regain some territory while the Reds are occupied by the chaos in their rear.

uxzZu0h.png

The Soviets are on the run and it's Pilsudski's rockstar hour. Time to grab back all that I can before they suppress those rebellions and can focus on me again. Although their dissent is unlikely to go down, only up.

eAT3xx6.png

The Crimean operation is over and South Russia is no more. This isn't good cause that means more Soviet troops may be coming to the western front sooner than I thought. By the way if you're wondering about those German battleships in the black sea. Well, this used to be Russia's Black Sea fleet which Germany captured after occupying Crimea. Most of the German fleet was demolished by the Treaty of Versailles but some ships remained, including these ones trapped in the Black Sea because Britain controls Istanbul.

qv22T0q.png

So far, the Soviets appear to be mostly grouping up on the Tambow rebels. It is a bit suprising perhaps that the Anarchists would participate in something like this. I know their alliance should break soon but perhaps I should force it to happen sooner if Tambow rebellion took place to avoid having the fairly absurd situation of Makhnoists fighting to suppress Green rebels.

zAkNZRi.png

August 14th - advance steadily continues and Polish forces liberate one of the provinces that will be returned to me shortly. No industry there though.

JVYn36d.png

August 19th - Rowne is recovered while the Soviets are still struggling against the Tambow rebels.

XT9tfDA.png

Also the Soviets somehow lost Leningrad to rebels, though I don't think that was a scripted revolt lol.

q2fvXdN.png

September 14th - after helping the Soviets mostly suppress the Tambow rebels, Makhno decided that NOW is a good time to break with the Reds. The guy is a genius, really, don't question him.

46WGCCt.png

I have to take back Mozyr while I can, as it is my springboard for any future offensives towards Kiev.

RWBKZsI.png

October 9th - Soviets finished off the Tambow rebels.

OECvXhy.png

Aaaand less than a week later - the Poles bail out of the war with the Peace of Riga. Tune in next time for what's probably going to be the last episode of this seemingly endless futile saga over the same few provinces lol.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Anyway, here's what I was hoping to ultimately achieve:
Screen-Save116.png
Ok, been wondering one thing, and I'll ask it before the final chapter comes out. Here, you're allied with mega-Lithuania, how does that come about?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry about slight delays, situation in actual ukraine caught up to me a little. fun fact, i actually have family in Kiev - my sister and a couple of nieces, they were evacuated a few days ago. things sure got out of control pretty quick over there. I will update on the AAR shortly.

Sorry about slight delays, situation in actual ukraine caught up to me a little. fun fact, i actually have family in Kiev - my sister and a couple of nieces, they were evacuated a few days ago. things sure got out of control pretty quick over there. I will update on the AAR shortly.
Best wishes to your family. Hope they stay safe

Reactions:
W0laj1J.png

With the end of the war in Poland and the signing of Polish-Soviet non-aggression pact, the French military mission departs from Warsaw.

U8VeSJ2.png

If there is one good thing about the departure of Polish troops, is that I am now fighting on my own behalf and not on someone elses, hence my dissent levels are back to somewhat reasonable levels and should actually be below the Soviet. So, despite fairly even numbers, I'm able to take Zhitomir and hold it against Soviet counter-attack.

rHjRy6j.png

Meanwhile the Siberian rebellion is still in full swing, but the Soviets have grouped major forces to contain it.

fq5Grum.png

The Soviets also began deploying some troops against Semyonov and Ungern-Sternberg but so far they've actually lost territory.

ZfOF5Lh.png

By late November, the Makhnovites have rapidly expanded their territorial control against very little Soviet opposition and even invaded Crimea. If only Makhno had enough sense to ally with me again, at least temporarily. The Reds made several desperate attempts to destroy my units at the border, but their dissent levels were so bad, that when combined with forest and snow penalties they had no chance.

qHmRukE.png

Having beaten back several of their useless attacks, I decided to screw it and try to go for Kiev again. If i go out, it will be with glory!

twERcTl.png

The attack had to be called off when the Soviets brought reinforcements to Kiev and counter-attacked from the right flank.

5q0I4hY.png

However the Soviets suffered so many losses trying to contain me that on December 21st I decided to try again.

xget3aV.png

Once again the Reds tried to disrupt me by attacking my flanks, indeed i had to withdraw some units from the Kiev battle and send them off to stop the Red assault from the north.

3qRLNcn.png

Nonetheless, Kiev was won. For what must be the... 4th time now, or something. Imagine the cynicism of the people of Kiev at that moment, they've been through so many different regimes in the past couple of years, and every time a new regime comes, they are expected to make excuses for obeying the all the previous regimes and not dying heroically in resistance to them. At this point, they probably no longer give a shit who rules them, they just want to be left alone.

• 3Like
Reactions:
sunpvUj.png

The Soviets are finally bringing in troops to contain Makhno a little bit and started a counter-attack against him from the East. This goddang fool will get what's coming for him. It is said that very late in the war, long after the UNR had been crushed, Makhno started to realize the value of Ukrainaian nationalism and began making overtures in that direction and advocate for Ukrainian sovereignty. But perhaps the reason why he felt more comfortable in doing so is precisely because the UNR was already crushed, so the ideological space of Ukrainian nationalism was essentially up for grabs. Plus, he was in a desperate enough situation where he must have felt like he has to do something to broaden his base of appeal.

s9WLYbs.png

Meanwhile, the Reds are still weakening themselves with their constant attacks, so now they are about to lose Vinnitsa too.

u5l88QB.png

Some kind of unscripted revolt takes place in Ufa. The Soviets clearly still have much work to do before they can throw their full weight against me.

yWVfpAj.png

For what must also be the third or fourth time now, I try to execute the strategy of encircling Soviet troops in the Odessa region.

eLb7Ukb.png

While I'm able to take Uman, it looks like the Makhnoists are hard-pressed at Nikolayev and probably won't be able to hold it. Without them, the encirclement will not be complete.

MafpTfi.png

There is really not much i can do to help him, so I couldn't come up with anything better than trying to secure my flanks a little bit and establish a more defensible border on the river by taking Cherkassy.

LK2ytH8.png

Initially, the attack is successful, but as predicted the Soviets have taken Nikolayev and immediately launched an attack from that direction and 2 other directions at the same time.

BrYfKmv.png

Ultimately, the result is a defeat.

2PlNFmX.png

By April 6th, the Soviets have brought in sufficient forces such that even despite their dissent issues, they have a comfortable numerical advantage on all fronts and can confidently resume their attacks.

gyD1HWo.png

By May 16th, despite several huge attacks and tons of casualties, they still haven't been able to make any progress against me, but their numbers are rapidly increasing with more reinforcements coming in every day.

My6e5Td.png

By late May, they finally have the numerical advantage they need to break my defenses. This must be like the Finns felt in early 1940, with the Soviets finally achieving a breakthrough in the Karelian Isthmus.

ifQXbeV.png

June 2nd - Soviets launch a big attack on Kiev. I can't rush reinforcements to Kiev because reinforcements are badly needed also at Kamenets-Podolsky. I guess it would be symbolic if I made my last stand at Kiev, but it seems more humane to preserve a path of retreat back to Poland.

ZFifv3P.png

June 11th - Kiev is lost again. Time for the Kievans to come up with a plausible story for why they weren't killing Petliurites on sight and how they were all actually secretly convinced Bolsheviks all along.

6W5o1pG.png

I'm forced back to the Polish border, meanwhile Makhno had apparently managed to not only take over Crimea but there's already a rebellion against him in Sevastopol lol.

6TqWSxY.png

I decide to make my last stand at Novograd-Volynsky. Among the provinces I hold on the Polish border, it is the only one that is somewhat defensible with its plentiful forests giving ample room for defensive ambushes.

weHmrtJ.png

As a result, the first few Soviet attacks aimed at dislodging me from Novograd-Volynsky fail miserably and with a huge amount of casualties to boot.

Q6zbqci.png

Nonetheless, I was only able to delay the Reds by maybe about another month and a half. By August 24th, they Reds brought in enough troops such that no defensive terrain can stop them any longer and the battle is decided. The infantry and militia escape to Poland while garrison divisions surrender while covering their retreat. The war is over.

• 1Like
Reactions:
C9NPCgU.png

I have military access to Poland but since Poland is not at war with the Reds, I am not allowed to launch cross-border raids. But hey, at least I made it out alive, sort of. All in all I lasted from November 1917 to September 1922, just a little short of 5 years. I think I did better than UPR did historically, but not by much. The Polish-Soviet non-aggression pact definitely wrecked me far more than I was anticipating, but that was just one of many errors I probably made during the campaign.

JZcmZN5.png

"End of the UPR" event first for Poland which would normally allow them to annex the remaining UPR units into the Polish Army and essentially be a "game over" event for the UPR. However, since the inherit command doesn't work against human controlled countries by default, i'm still around lol. Just kind of stuck in Poland. At least I can observe the events from a safe distance.

DlCzaUP.png

In November, Soviets launch a massive assault to clear out the Anarchists from Crimea.

Ap4p4gg.png

Lol Ungern and Semyenov declare "General Mobilization" of Buryats in the Transbaikal area. good luck with that!

FdQ91TO.png

February 1923 - More unscripted anti-Soviet peasant revolts erupt in various places. The Soviet dissent at this point doesn't make their job of finishing the civil war too easy for them.

RPJwT8h.png

March 1923 - Nonetheless the Soviets are slowly inching closer to Vladivostok, the last redoubt of anti-Soviet resistance.

b5sQOD7.png

June 29th, 1923, about half a year later than OTL, "the unbreakable union of fraternal states is united forever in great russia's embrace." The war is not yet finished though, technically.

XNzr31Y.png

In July, the Soviets are finally about to take Vladivostok against token Russian/Mongolian resistance. Btw it appears that Lenin had one stroke too many and is technically no longer the leader.

jDJPX9d.png

In August 12th, the war is finished in the Far East. Makhno's Free Territory is annexed as well at around the same time.

tVi7P8o.png

Georgia... The Reds were supposed to have invaded Georgia a long time back, the reason why this didn't happen is because the AI decision conditions for that event to happen are first looking for the Soviet AI to deploy sufficient troops around Georgia before launching the attack. It's kind of foolish to declare war if your border is completely open, you know, looks a little silly. However, for one reason or another the Soviets never quite bothered to bring sufficient reinforcements to the area, and as a consequence, the war never started. But surely, not that the Soviets have no other enemies left, they bring enough troops for the event to fire, right, right??

yQBVFCj.png

On November 21st the Soviets finally decide to attack. Also, they change their flag to something that looks slightly less absurd looking.

uDPLcF4.png

If Georgia wasn't doomed enough already, the Soviets of course also engineer some anti-Georgian and pro-Bolshevik uprisings particularly in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, facilitating the Red Army's advance.

USIAnN5.png

By January 1923, Georgians abandoned their exterior regions and about to lose Tblisi.

evzgiJj.png

On January 9th, the Georgian government declared general mobilization, but it was too late, Tbilisi was lost and the country surrendered 4 days later. Now, the war of succession for the legacy of the Russian Empire can be considered to be truly and finally over.

JWfqOO6.png

The war for the Ottoman legacy is still unfinished, however, as the Turkish and Greek armies are pretty evenly matched. I haven't actually done much coding for that particular war yet so as you can see there are some weird outcomes right now like Turkish occupations of Mosul and Aleppo, there is also a Soviet division just casually strolling through Turkey unclear for what purposes.. One way or another, my story ends here, and the interwar era begins.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ok, been wondering one thing, and I'll ask it before the final chapter comes out. Here, you're allied with mega-Lithuania, how does that come about?
Well just like Ukraine, Lithuania has its own little war with Poland that it can either win or lose. If both Ukraine and Lithuania are fighting Poland at the same time, then when Poland is defeated, it loses to both of them at the same time and the two make an alliance to make sure the Poles try anything again.

Anyway, sorry my last updates were probably not the most exciting but as you can imagine i mostly lost interest in the war once i realized that there was simply no way i could actually win it. The opportunity was there in 1919 but I missed it and it wouldn't come again. After that I was just going through the motions trying to cause as many problems as I could for the Soviets and delay their inevitable victory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
JWfqOO6.png

The war for the Ottoman legacy is still unfinished, however, as the Turkish and Greek armies are pretty evenly matched. I haven't actually done much coding for that particular war yet so as you can see there are some weird outcomes right now like Turkish occupations of Mosul and Aleppo, there is also a Soviet division just casually strolling through Turkey unclear for what purposes.. One way or another, my story ends here, and the interwar era begins.
Never mind that Soviet division or Turkish ownership of northern Syria and Iraq, what I care more about is the British attacking the Greeks out from Istanbul into Adrianople!
Anyway, sorry my last updates were probably not the most exciting but as you can imagine i mostly lost interest in the war once i realized that there was simply no way i could actually win it. The opportunity was there in 1919 but I missed it and it wouldn't come again. After that I was just going through the motions trying to cause as many problems as I could for the Soviets and delay their inevitable victory.
No worries, the scenario itself was already exiting enough in and of itself, and going down fighting is also plenty interesting.
JZcmZN5.png

"End of the UPR" event first for Poland which would normally allow them to annex the remaining UPR units into the Polish Army and essentially be a "game over" event for the UPR. However, since the inherit command doesn't work against human controlled countries by default, i'm still around lol. Just kind of stuck in Poland. At least I can observe the events from a safe distance.
Perhaps change it so that once the UPR is finally defeated, have their off-map province transferred to somebody else (perhaps some holding tag for them), let the Soviets just plain annex the UPR and then give a couple of former UPR infantry divisions to Poland. Hostile annexations work plenty fine against players

• 1Like
Reactions:
Never mind that Soviet division or Turkish ownership of northern Syria and Iraq, what I care more about is the British attacking the Greeks out from Istanbul into Adrianople!
Huh.. I definitely haven't noticed them being at war at any point. Maybe there's just a revolt somewhere there and for some reason the revolting division is not visible? Just a guess, cause i definitely would have noticed if UK and Greece went to war for some reason.

No worries, the scenario itself was already exiting enough in and of itself, and going down fighting is also plenty interesting.
I also tried a different objective, I tried playing as Whites and attempted to defeat the Bolsheviks before Germany surrenders so I can rejoin the war in time. That proved to be basically impossible even on normal difficulty, although if I buff up Germany a little bit to make it last longer than usual - it is possible. But I'm not sure how to make Germany react to this appropriately. When I resume the war, most of the German army is occupied on the western front and AI refuses to pull back anything to the East even when it's clear that the Eastern front is collapsing. That is generally the biggest challenge of this whole scenario, trying to get the stubborn AI to react appropriately to various political changes.

Perhaps change it so that once the UPR is finally defeated, have their off-map province transferred to somebody else (perhaps some holding tag for them), let the Soviets just plain annex the UPR and then give a couple of former UPR infantry divisions to Poland. Hostile annexations work plenty fine against players
Oh yeah that shouldn't be an issue, i mean i could also just change it in misc.txt such that inherit command actually works against players. It's just for the purposes of the AAR i decided that i might as well stick around and see the war to its conclusion. I feel like I should have made my final stand in Kiev though, it would have been more epic that way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
PS

My main errors in the first game were probably these:
The assumption that I could actually hold the line from Kiev to Odessa.
The assumption that even after withdrawing from the east, i would have enough industry left in the west and center to continue "building up my army", rather than just spending all my IC on supplies and reinforcements and not really getting anywhere. BTW throughout the entire war Galicia/WUPR build like 1 or 2 new divisions.
Not realizing that I could keep Poland neutral longer than historical if the conditions are right
Not realizing how much damage the Polish-Soviet non-aggression agreement would do to me
Some tactical errors made throughout the war particularly in the crucial months of mid 1919, which I mostly wasted on trying to destroy a group of surrounded Soviet forces, wheras what I should have been doing is recovering my eastern provinces at any cost

So here's a quick rundown of my followup game of Ukraine and some things that i did differently:

-During the initial chaos after independence, I tried to make sure that less of my IC-bearing provinces would get occupied, because even if I liberate them later, there's quite a lengthy recovery period.
-I helped Germany last a couple of extra weeks, which actually appears to have made some positive difference in helping me be more prepared for the war. Germany surrendered in mid December.
-I decided to play nice with Poland after all, I can't afford to get wrecked by Poles and Soviets when they make non-aggression pact with each other. Instead, I tried to end the war with Poland as quickly as I could and then manage the fallout from that.
-Maybe a bit gamey, but since Poland grants me access to their territory after making peace, and stationing units in Polish territory means Poland is taking care of supplying them, I decided to send some of my most useless militia divisions to hang out in Poland temporarily and let the Poles take care of feeding them for a while until the time when my morale recovers enough for them to actually become useful again. Meanwhile i can make use of the freed up resources and try to build more units.
-Ending the war with Poland early allowed me to establish a somewhat defensible line on the Dnieper that lasted until the end of the first phase of the Soviet invasion. When the anti-Soviet Grigoriev revolt happened and Makhno also briefly joined my side, i was able to use their help to expand my territory to the right side of the Dnieper river and start recoving Donbass where most of my industry is located.
-Since we recovered Zaporozhye and Mariupol, the event for Makhno's surprise attack against Denikin did not fire, allowing me to maintain my de-facto alliance with Makhno for another 9 months or so, which was of great value to me. Historically this probably would not have happened as Makhno would have probably felt sufficiently threatened by Petliura that he would have still turned on him at the very first opportunity, but hey, I'll take it. Ultimately he still turned on me of course.
-Once Denikin's army started running out of steam and collapsing by early 1920, I was able to inch my way further to the east and even take Rostov, which was the key objective in making sure that Kuban defects to me

BshNqOS.png

So on April 6th, Kuban defected.

LfZuLV4.png

Later in April, Crimea defected as well. Both became my allies.

QiiBZIA.png

Holding on to East Ukraine made a crucial difference in allowing me to actually continue mobilizing more units for the fight. That and the addition of troops from Crimea and Kuban allowed me to even briefly encircle and destroy some Soviet units which definitely helped in the long term, but unfortunately it was not enough to make Soviet Russia surrender.
On the other hand, my advantage was upset by Makhno's eventual defection, then the Polish re-entry into in late 1920, and finally Soviet Russia's victory against most of the remaining White Russian forces. Ultimately I had to abandon many of my gains and even withdraw from Kharkov and most of the left-bank Ukraine in general.

IoNKWDc.png

This is the line that I had to fall back to and defend with tooth and nail. Any further retreat would have meant serious and probably irrecoverable losses. As you can see, here the Soviets are in the midst of crushing the Tambow and West Siberian peasant rebellions, which gave me a short breathing room to establish a defensible line in the Caucasus, but didn't give me much advantage other than that.

56DcDz1.png

Three more years passed by since that time, which I had spent mostly fighting off enemy attacks while hanging on to defensible positions and simultaneously trying to build up more forces and bring down my dissent. At some point the Soviets gave up the fight against Poland, which made things worse for me again. This was the most difficult and gruesome part of the war, the Eastern version of WW1 trench warfare. At one point, Crimea simply ran out of manpower and requested annexation. This isn't how annexation is normally supposed to happen, rather this is one of the general events I made a long time back called "preemptive annexation" that is triggerable for all countries and is intended to help avoid certain game-breaking outcomes. Basically, when certain conditions are met, a country can (and if it is led by AI, it will) request annexation by its larger allies or masters. The primary condition is if it has been reduced to 1 VP or one province (meaning that if it is not annexed by its ally, it is risking being annexed by a hostile power and losing all of its units and manpower in the process - which is wrong in my opinion).
Another alternative condition is if it has a huge army but very low IC, which means it is not going to be able to properly supply or reinforce this army even if it has manpower reserves left. If that happens, it is easily exploitable and is basically doomed to failure unless a larger ally takes control of it and takes responsibility for supplying this army.
One more possible condition is if doesn't have any manpower left to continue reinforcing its units and it had reached its maximum level of mobilization at the same time. In this case, if it is not annexed, all of its units will gradually reach zero strength and become worse than useless, they will become a burden since AI doesn't know how to handle them properly, also all of that country's IC is completely going to waste whereas it could be contributing to its allies war effort. This is the case for Crimea - give the constant state of warfare since 1914, when it secedes from South Russia it doesn't have that many reserves left to count on in the first place, particularly since it doesn't have cores on all of its the provinces but only the ones with majority Tatar and Ukrainian population, and the constant bloody battles against Soviet Russia and Poland since independence had further bled them dry until they finally agreed to annexation by Ukraine.

FoRXXso.png

By 1924/1925, the Soviet dissent finally started reaching such levels that their army became only half-way functional and constantly distracted by revolts elsewhere. This allowed me to go on offensive and slowly start pushing them back, until in late September 1925 they sued for peace. This is a screenshot of the situation shortly before peace was finally made.

H781mOY.png

Poland, by that point, was already stuck in a stalemated war against Sweden and its Baltic allies, and its dissent had also reached pretty catastrophic levels, so once I brought fresh units from the Eastern front to the West, Poland's fate was sealed in that conflict.

T2Or6GF.png

Galicia was mostly liberated by mid 1926.

1Kiit8a.png

Finally with the Ukrainian forces on the doorstep on Warsaw and Krakow, Poland surrendered. West Ukraine and Kuban was annexed shortly afterwards.

Many many Ukrainians died to achieve this outcome, but in the end, we were triumphant. :cool:
(this was still on normal difficulty btw lol)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
1Kiit8a.png

Finally with the Ukrainian forces on the doorstep on Warsaw and Krakow, Poland surrendered. West Ukraine and Kuban was annexed shortly afterwards.
Gotta say

that's a really impressive Lithuania

• 1Like
Reactions:
That was quite interesting, and I also enjoyed the bonus AAR at the end. It's nice to know the situation is winnable, even if only just. I hope your family is safe now, and hopefully real Ukraine can do as well as your second try.

• 1Like
Reactions:
that's a really impressive Lithuania
Hehe by DH standards yes, but by historical standards... We've seen bigger Lithuanias :cool:

Oh btw I forgot to mention in my second playthrough, sometime in 1922 I think the Reds offered to sign a compromise peace treaty similar to the peace of Riga where they recognize my independence but within borders that only include the territory that was originally claimed by Rada's Third Universal proclamation of November 20 1917 which laid the foundation of the republic, and nothing more. This would have meant that I would have to give up Kuban, Crimea, Rostov, and Belgorod to name a few places, so I refused, which gave me additional 5 dissent and 10 belligerence that I had to struggle with. The war then continued for another 3 years.

I hope your family is safe now, and hopefully real Ukraine can do as well as your second try.
Thank you for following. :) Even though i didn't win the first game I still thought it would be worth sharing. My family left ahead of time so they are doing all right. Might move to India soon actually. Funnily enough, in real life i'm not much of a Ukraine sympathizer, rather the opposite. Still, I consider the very fact that this war happened and started the way it did is already a huge victory for Ukraine. If Russia had its way, we would be seeing a very different war in Ukraine right now or no war at all. The Russians would have much rather preferred for the Ukrainians to either give up without a fight or at least turn on each other so that Russia can just go in and support one side against the other with a token force like they did in Syria. But in the 8 years since 2014 they couldn't make that happen so they had to resort to blunt force in the end, and now we have what we have. And even now that they invaded, not a single Ukrainian brigade defected to them so far, only some small platoons here and there. It is in stark contrast to this very AAR where as you saw, the success of the Soviet invasion of Ukraine in 1918 was largely predicated on a large number of Ukrainian divisions simply switching sides and joining the Red Army, and the Ukrainian army in general being demoralized and disorganized and in a very bad shape. This time around we're seeing something entirely different. Not that the situations are very comparable in general, it's a very different world today, but still.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I also tried a different objective, I tried playing as Whites and attempted to defeat the Bolsheviks before Germany surrenders so I can rejoin the war in time. That proved to be basically impossible even on normal difficulty, although if I buff up Germany a little bit to make it last longer than usual - it is possible. But I'm not sure how to make Germany react to this appropriately. When I resume the war, most of the German army is occupied on the western front and AI refuses to pull back anything to the East even when it's clear that the Eastern front is collapsing. That is generally the biggest challenge of this whole scenario, trying to get the stubborn AI to react appropriately to various political changes.
You know, I would love to see a White AAR where you attempt this

Reactions:
You know, I would love to see a White AAR where you attempt this
0C5ISzK.png

Hmm I have a few screenshots from the previous game that I played but I don't remember all the details of what happened and there's probably not enough of them for a whole AAR. I'd need to replay it from the scratch, and while i'm at it also fix a few bugs among which is that German AI problem that I mentioned. When I reenter the war, they either mostly ignore me and continue focusing on the western front, or i can make them do the opposite and throw everything at me while practically ignoring the western front, but I can't seem to make them choose a more reasonable middle ground, so I'd need to try to come up with something creative there.

I probably wouldn't mind doing that some time soon though right now i'm kind of taking a break from DH and mostly playing stuff like Minecraft and Hots with friends, plus following the Ukraine conflict in my spare time.
FNS93gKVQAIvIIU.jpeg

What is the name of this mod? Looks very cool
I haven't given it a name, it's just something i did for fun cause i wanted to be able to play RCW a little more meaningfully.

Completely unrelated to the RCW but part of the same mod, I also inserted an option for a completely different WW1 outbreak path where instead of supporting Austria in 1914, Germany actually makes a pact with Russia, Italy, Romania, and Serbia to finally carve up Austria among themselves like a thanksgiving Turkey. Austria has the option to resist but resistance is useless because nobody really has the means to come to its aid and prevent the partition from happening. That plus the fact that unification with Germany is very popular in general, so by default Austria gives in without a fight. This delays the outbreak of war by a couple of years but it eventually starts anyway over a crisis in the German-allied Hungary where an anti-Hungarian rebellion in Transylvania breaks out with the support of Russian-allied Romania. Hungary and Romania eventually go to war and bring the whole of Europe into war with them. Unlike traditional WW1, Italy fights the war on the German side, and Romania (+Transylvanian rebels) fight on the Russian side from day 1, otherwise everything is around the same. The scenario is also notable because the extra 2 years plus the addition of the Italian Navy allow for the Central Powers to actually have something a bit closer to naval parity with the Entene powers which they lacked historically. In one game as Germany, I managed to mostly beat the Royal Navy and run a total blockade of the UK to the point where the UK declared USW against me as a means of retaliation. Few years later this brought the US into the war on my side lol. At that point, of course, the UK was basically finished.

WW1_bc.png
WW1c.png

This alt-WW1 option is available for the German player but unless you're actually playing as Germany, the AI will always chose the historical path, so it's a bit of an easter egg almost.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I probably wouldn't mind doing that some time soon though right now i'm kind of taking a break from DH and mostly playing stuff like Minecraft and Hots with friends, plus following the Ukraine conflict in my spare time.
I've actually been digging my teeth back into a WWI soldiers diary, I have cut back on social media for Lent, and reading that (plus the Bible) are better ways of spending my time. The soldier in question is actually quite a admirer of the Russians and their revolution, I already translated a quote into English of him wishing for a Flemish Trotsky figure.
"My God, my God, when do You grant us too the man who will make everything end in a cleansing storm? When? We are all dead tired and do not see a purpose anymore in Your world. My God, where is Your compassion? Because the world descends deeper and deeper into the chaos and how many are those who die and suffer on the wood of the eternal cross?"
Completely unrelated to the RCW but part of the same mod, I also inserted an option for a completely different WW1 outbreak path where instead of supporting Austria in 1914, Germany actually makes a pact with Russia, Italy, Romania, and Serbia to finally carve up Austria among themselves like a thanksgiving Turkey. Austria has the option to resist but resistance is useless because nobody really has the means to come to its aid and prevent the partition from happening. That plus the fact that unification with Germany is very popular in general, so by default Austria gives in without a fight. This delays the outbreak of war by a couple of years but it eventually starts anyway over a crisis in the German-allied Hungary where an anti-Hungarian rebellion in Transylvania breaks out with the support of Russian-allied Romania. Hungary and Romania eventually go to war and bring the whole of Europe into war with them. Unlike traditional WW1, Italy fights the war on the German side, and Romania (+Transylvanian rebels) fight on the Russian side from day 1, otherwise everything is around the same. The scenario is also notable because the extra 2 years plus the addition of the Italian Navy allow for the Central Powers to actually have something a bit closer to naval parity with the Entene powers which they lacked historically. In one game as Germany, I managed to mostly beat the Royal Navy and run a total blockade of the UK to the point where the UK declared USW against me as a means of retaliation. Few years later this brought the US into the war on my side lol. At that point, of course, the UK was basically finished.

WW1_bc.png
WW1c.png

This alt-WW1 option is available for the German player but unless you're actually playing as Germany, the AI will always chose the historical path, so it's a bit of an easter egg almost.
A high school history teacher of mine once reaches the conclusion in the middle of a class that Germany should have allied with Russia instead of Austria-Hungary when the League of Three Emperors proved unmaintainable. Reminds me a lot of that. Anyways, what might also be interesting to include is some extra content regarding the German Revolution and the general chaos in Germany in the early Interbellum. Things like the Bavarian Soviet Republic, Rheinish Republic, the many revolts and attempted coups. You could also have the situation descend into a proper German Civil War, tho to have it be at the scale of what is currently the RCW content it does need quite a bit of creativity. But it would be interesting to see how war raging through all of Central and Eastern Europe would develop, and how the Russian, German and Hungarian Soviet revolutions could intertwine for example.

• 1Like
Reactions: