No DLC no FUN? Quite the opposite

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wukk

Sergeant
102 Badges
May 18, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
So, I just wanted to write that I own all but the latest DLC and I decided to go ahead and disable absolutely all of them when starting a new game.

The result? I had more fun with Hoi4 that I think I have had now in years. The game is polished compared to what it was at launch and I don't have to remember countless details regarding each nation I play on how to set up things just perfectly, I don't have to spend literally half my play time designing stuff like tanks, ships, and airplanes, and division design is a breeze too. Maybe it's just me as I like the macro game much more than the micro but if you're overwhelmed by all of the things I listed above, do try go plain Hoi4. You still get to do stuff like encircling the enemy with highly mobile panzer divisions type of "micro" so it's not like there isn't any of that.

In any case I highly recommend trying the no DLC approach! Have a great day all!

• 9Like
Reactions:
I can imagine quite a few additions from DLCs that it would be nice to disable. Still, how is the game balanced and functionally without DLCs? Do the old plane, tank and ship techs and templates (still) work as intended?

I can imagine quite a few additions from DLCs that it would be nice to disable. Still, how is the game balanced and functionally without DLCs? Do the old plane, tank and ship techs and templates (still) work as intended?
The new systems are balanced around old systems, i particularly like references, so i design planes/tank with stats similar to older models(i saved a offline wiki page), the status with discrepancies or more expensive are the ones they think need nerf/boost(for example, tank piercing changed a lot, theres more piercing per ic than older models), planes range become more expensive because ppl think 2k range jet fighters was too much etc.

I haven't purchased any DLC. I tried the subscription to get all the DLC but also thought the game was worse. All these new buttons that the AI didn't know how to utilize. Or more ahistorical scenarios because of added national focuses that should just be mods.

I do appreciate all the free ai bugs they have been patching.

For the most part, the only real issue is that you cannot produce any SHBB's at all without MtG since they have been coded incorrectly. While it's a disappointing oversight at least it is a fairly unimportant unit for most countries.