No chance to remove ahistorical laws from MENA empires?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wouldn't agree. By 1836 they already had professional army (mansure army) more or less on the level of European ones (plus irregular troops, yes). russia should also have professional army.
Well, you might want to be careful there. Is the army taken as a whole professional, or do they merely have a small professional army mainly supplemented by other forces?

Even national militia assumes there is some professional core. That's why you get five barracks per state. Peasant levies doesn't rule out having some professional elements - but the army, taken in aggregate, is not professional.

• 1Like
Reactions:
On the other laws: don't have a strict opinion as it could be argued one way or another do to both realism and game balance.

On multiculturalism specifically:
I strongly disagree.
The Ottoman empire was indeed very tolerant. It was after all the ground stone of it's imagery (we are ottomans, not the Turkish peasants of Anatolia don't remember now which Sultan).

Still, it was tolerant in a medieval / renaissance meaning of the world, not in the more Victorian / modern meaning. Of course we will not treat a greek worse than a Turk or a serb. You are all slaves/citizens to the empire after all. But it was still a "parralel" society (I forgot the right academic word). Armenians were between Armenians, Greeks between Greeks... You had the Jewish neighbourhood and the Christian one etc. So it was multicultural... But not in the sense of what the game I think wants to mean.

Let's also not forget that the ottoman state, exactly in that period, was becoming more and more Turkish and less and less ottoman. Due to nationalism.

So maybe, I could agree with @Al-Khalidi that the ottomans should start with multiculturalism, if it was added to the tanzimats that you need to pass... Maybe racial segregation at least ? To not become unrecognised. While at the same time having a Journal Entry whoo would change some IGs. Like I could imagine blessing the ottomans with a devout pro multiculturalism (making it also harder to abolish) that will then align with more "racist" devouts after the law change (the last one more game balance in mind than history).

So this way it would kind of represent softly that the ottomans were in between fully embracing ottomanism, or nationalism (it's after all the "young Turks" era...).

Reactions:
Yeah, at the very least they should have racial segregation, which is the same law Egypt has. Still not ideal as this would make Muslim Albanians discriminated in the same way as christian serbs (I think?) but at least better than national supremacy which is so wrong because at that time there was not even a fully formed concept of Turkish nation that could have this supremacy.

Reactions: