• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bad4play

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2018
Hi everyone,
I know about 4different map for DH :
- DH light map
- DH full map
- E3 map
- Yougoslavia map

I often ear that DH full map doesn't have enough provinces and E3 have too much... I recently discovered a 5th map that is between DH full map and E3 map for the number of provinces. I don't know if any of you were aware of this one or if it is an early version of E3 but here the link of the mod using that map, it comes with an interesting mod bringing some cool graphic stuff that i haven't seen used in other mods.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not good with DH maps. But in general, in the HOI2 line, as I understand it, there is a vanilla map, a DH map, Iron Cross map, E3, E3FN - a modification of E3, the Yugoslav map. There are also definitely unreleased maps with the Arctic and other improvements.

Hi everyone,
I know about 4different map for DH :
- DH light map
- DH full map
- E3 map
- Yougoslavia map

I often ear that DH full map doesn't have enough provinces and E3 have too much... I recently discovered a 5th map that is between DH full map and E3 map for the number of provinces. I don't know if any of you were aware of this one or if it is an early version of E3 but here the link of the mod using that map, it comes with an interesting mod bringing some cool graphic stuff that i haven't seen used in other mods.

I think that the mod you mentioned is based on the Iron Cross map. Iron Cross was a Hoi2/AoD/DH (works for all of them) forgotten paid DLC that for some reason is no longer being sold. But you can still find it of course.

I tried IC and didn't like it. Too many provinces and tech tree is too big. AI doesn't really know how to use both of them and you can easily outmaneuver it.
What's funny is that they added so many provinces in the US and Africa, but relatively few in Europe (main focus of the WW2 game).

When it comes to maps, I like vanilla Darkest Hour Full Map. I'm happy with the current number of provinces. I don't need thousands of them since without any help from the AI (like in Hoi4 or Hoi3) it'a a pain to micromanage so many units and provinces in E3 or IC map.

Also there was a overhauled DH Full map (I forgot the name of the map. DEC? I'm not sure) which mods like Blood and Iron and Peace Without Victory (early versions) used.
Number of provinces is the same as in DH Full map, but terrain is more visible on the political map and font is completely new. Pretty cool map. Google it or check the mods I mentioned.

Thank you for mentioning this Napoleonic mod. I somehow never heard of it (I should finally spent some time browsing ancient 10yrs+ old DH threads to find other forgotten mods...).

It seems to be unfinished, but somehow works without any problems on DH 1.05.1. I think I will spent few hours in it ;)

I think that the mod you mentioned is based on the Iron Cross map. Iron Cross was a Hoi2/AoD/DH (works for all of them) forgotten paid DLC that for some reason is no longer being sold. But you can still find it of course.

I tried IC and didn't like it. Too many provinces and tech tree is too big. AI doesn't really know how to use both of them and you can easily outmaneuver it.
What's funny is that they added so many provinces in the US and Africa, but relatively few in Europe (main focus of the WW2 game).

When it comes to maps, I like vanilla Darkest Hour Full Map. I'm happy with the current number of provinces. I don't need thousands of them since without any help from the AI (like in Hoi4 or Hoi3) it'a a pain to micromanage so many units and provinces in E3 or IC map.

Also there was a overhauled DH Full map (I forgot the name of the map. DEC? I'm not sure) which mods like Blood and Iron and Peace Without Victory (early versions) used.
Number of provinces is the same as in DH Full map, but terrain is more visible on the political map and font is completely new. Pretty cool map. Google it or check the mods I mentioned.

Thank you for mentioning this Napoleonic mod. I somehow never heard of it (I should finally spent some time browsing ancient 10yrs+ old DH threads to find other forgotten mods...).

It seems to be unfinished, but somehow works without any problems on DH 1.05.1. I think I will spent few hours in it ;)
I love the vanilla DH map too, I am currently trying to fix some issues of the DEC map (you're right on the name), it had some problems for the name of big cities and some sprite localization issues.

I haven't played much on E3 map but I spent some time recently to mod AI and it's crazy how ai fight personnality impact the ability of AI to hold properly a front. I'm still learning about the limits of the AI (what can be improved and what cannot) but the increased number of province definitely need to be accompanied by a change of AI or unit scale. I think it was turning point 1989 that added smaller units like brigade that cost less and are less efficient but are still represented by a unit so you can hold your front more easily for E3 map. Many AI bug are linked to the fact the AI is trying to keep what's writed on its code (x number of unit for this province because of X reasons) but it doesn't have enough unit to do everything so It just keep redeploying and redeploying its units, leaving empty front, disorganized units and overloaded TC ^^

If you're looking for some mods ideas don't forget to check HOI bunker website or my library (some of the mods are for older versions of HOI2 or DH). I'll try to upload more on it when I'll have some time :)

• 3Like
Reactions: