• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pellaken

TheNewTeddy
109 Badges
Mar 24, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Sengoku
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Prison Architect
I bought a new computer. My old computer had 1 core at a speed of 1.89, but my new one has 2 cores, that are actually at a speed of 2.4

Anyway, when zoomed out, the game literally runs 3 times as fast. When zoomed in, however, the game runs SLOWER.

:blink::blink::blink:

Slower

:blink:

On a newer computer

With a faster processor

:blink::blink:

The same amount of ram

Slower

Can someone please explain this to me?

Is the PC Windows 8 ?

Both are Vista.

And for info, ask and I will detail. That's what I want to know. What's different about these computers? Why would a "faster" computer be "slower"? I just don't get it.

PS
I downloaded the untransparent mod and the game runs 4 to 5 times as fast zoomed in, compared to the same mod on my old computer. In fact it now runs about 95% as fast zoomed in as it does zoomed out.

Without the mod days take 10 times as long if I'm zoomed in.

Both are Vista.

And for info, ask and I will detail. That's what I want to know. What's different about these computers? Why would a "faster" computer be "slower"? I just don't get it.

PS
I downloaded the untransparent mod and the game runs 4 to 5 times as fast zoomed in, compared to the same mod on my old computer. In fact it now runs about 95% as fast zoomed in as it does zoomed out.

What did you have before? I have a 5-year old Vista and it runs well enough for me not to buy a new computer. It seems on my as well the map-mode is a lot faster than when you zoom in; I suspect it's because of loading the sprites.

it seems to be focused on the terrain mapmode, and how without the untransparent mod, even when another mapmode is selected, you still see the terrain.

I was really hoping that by getting a new computer that I could play without the mod, but, turns out, no. I want to know why so I can fix it.

Differences:

Model: Aspire M1100 (New)
vs
Model: Aspire 5315 (Old)

BIOS: Pheonix - AwardBIOS V6.00PG
vs
BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core PRocessor 4600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHZ
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz, ~1.9GHz

Memory: 1790MB RAM
Memory: 2038MB RAM

Page File: 1491MB used, 2342MB available
Page File: 2112MB used, 2179MB available

Display
Device
Name: ATI Radeon X1250
Name: Mobile Intel(R) 964 Express Chipset Family

skipped a few lines that I don't think are important

Approx. Total Memory: 895 MB
Approx. Total Memory: 358 MB

skipped

end

Processes running in background are near identical, with the exception that there are fewer on my new computer as I've not installed everything I want to yet.

I checked the RAM stats in the control panel system page. This (new) computer is listed at 2GB and the old one at 2038MB

edit
But task manager is telling me I have 1790MB of RAM

...wtf?

I checked the RAM stats in the control panel system page. This (new) computer is listed at 2GB and the old one at 2038MB

edit
But task manager is telling me I have 1790MB of RAM

...wtf?
integrated graphic card. As for the game running slower, perhaps the AMD architecture or the graphic card are the problem.

It's quite same for me, back 1 year ago, at say 1.4 my game was running DEADLY fast, on same pc with same system. However, ever since AHD, it's runs so slowly it's painful to play. ><

Better post this in the tech section.

Nope, RAM did not help. January 2nd took 7 seconds to complete when zoomed in with political mapmode on.

Ah, just found this thread.

As for graphics drivers, if you're running Vista 32bit: here. If you're running Vista 64bit: here.

As for the slowness: is it still slow to scroll about when the game is on pause? What temperatures are reported by your processor?

You're using an integrated graphics card from 2007. That's just about good enough to run a modern version of Excel.

Ah, just found this thread.

As for graphics drivers, if you're running Vista 32bit: here. If you're running Vista 64bit: here.

As for the slowness: is it still slow to scroll about when the game is on pause? What temperatures are reported by your processor?

Temps are around 50 or so. And yes, slow on pause. I'll download the drivers suggested.

You're using an integrated graphics card from 2007. That's just about good enough to run a modern version of Excel.

What I'm still not understanding is why my new integrated graphics card from 2007 is getting worse performance than my integrated graphics chipset from 2005

What I'm still not understanding is why my new integrated graphics card from 2007 is getting worse performance than my integrated graphics chipset from 2005

It's able to draw more system memory - so when you zoom in, it does exactly that and leaves the game trying to run the economy and pop demographics on 1 gig.