• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SignedName

Field Marshal
48 Badges
May 29, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Okay, so I bought this game while it was on sale, but I haven't played it until now. I started as Korea and about a year later attacked Siam when Dai Viet went to war with it. I realized then that my ships didn't get any supply, and were at 5% strength. Is there an explanation for this? I put the supply slider all the way to the right, so what gives?

Seeing as you're playing as Korea, it's probably because you don't have any Naval Bases and don't have far supply range. Either that, or you're not funding your navy enough.

What's happening is that you don't have clipper conveys, which you need to maintain the navy. In the beginning of the game the world market has a shortage of clippers so low ranked countries (mostly uncivs) don't get any, and so their ships decay. You can try setting the stockpile manually to gather lots of clippers so you can stock up on them when they do become available, but generally speaking uncivs can't power project early in the game.

Same thing happens with Japan - the only starting clipper ship of their navy soon gets reduced to 5% health. And indeed, the problem is all about naval bases and supplies. To be able to maintain a fleet, you need a naval base. And to get naval bases you need technology, which is available in a naval reform if you have not westernized. As for supplies, if you haven't westernized you either need to have someone producing some clippers, or somehow buy the clipper ships from the market (which is near impossible during early game).

China can maintain a decent navy though. They have enough artisans who can produce a sizeable amount of clippers for their navy. They have all the goods needed most of the time, and don't even need to westernize.