• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is turning into the Malcolm X of AARs! I'm very interested to see how the Merchant Republic angle turns out. I considered it myself. And, given my problems with noble opposition to coronations, increasingly wonder if I should have taken the plunge.

But for the moment I shall live vicariously through you... ;)

isca said:
This is turning into the Malcolm X of AARs! I'm very interested to see how the Merchant Republic angle turns out. I considered it myself. And, given my problems with noble opposition to coronations, increasingly wonder if I should have taken the plunge.

But for the moment I shall live vicariously through you... ;)

Thanks, spl and isca!

And, oh, I had my fill of perpetual noble oppostion too. Strike them down... by any means necessary. ;)

Last edited:
Good to see this one still going strong. Nice progress with your exploration - and nice work keeping the French off your back. I assume MM has an antidote for the 200-French-ships-by-1500 syndrome.

Interesting plan turning Portugal into the Dutch - are there any other Protestant or Calvinist countries out there? And what is Castile up to - they aren't getting involved in European wars, they don't seem to have taken out Granada - colonising the Caribbean? Or just sitting there?

Thanks for the kind comments, master merrick.

Up to now, my Castilian neighbours have restricted themselves mainly to navel/naval-staring and feeding those Canaries. But I hope their future "Spanish practices" won't disappoint.

The reformation is another matter. I'll get back to that soon.

Last edited:
Colinization at a brisk pace...excellent...

VIII.​

Time to strut and fret my hour upon the stage once more...

VIII1.jpg

The new century opens with rage, sorrow and cold blooded murder as the natives attack and wipe out my fledgling colony on Fernando Po. I can start all over again – this really is the slow boat to China. In the ensuing months and years, I decide to expand westward instead, but my first attempts in the New World are equally disappointing.

VIII2.jpg

They just don’t get it – I only want what’s best for them.

In the Spring of 1502 the Barbary Pirates attack our coastal towns. The nerve of these Young Turks! Resolute as ever, I hoist the mainsail, heave taunt the halyard and experience an adventure worthy of Romeo and Ethel the Pirate’s Daughter. Or is it?

VIII3.jpg

Of course we are pirates ourselves, my dear. Pirates extraordinaire. Sovereigns of the sea. Masters of trick and trade. Or are we?

VIII4.jpg

Ill-gotten gains give no true happiness indeed, and the rapid and unbridled expansion of my trade awakens the green-eyed monster in countless competitors. Throughout the decade, our merchants meet strong opposition in European centres of trade.

But let’s not be sad. This too shall pass.

VIII5.jpg

Hmmm.

But lo! This little share-out surely brings a smile to my face.

VIII6.jpg

Great talent never goes unnoticed, it seems. Not even by savages.

VIII7.jpg

VIII8.jpg

Now, let the parade begin.

Looks like an event heavy session. May there be many more.

Doesnt not selecting "Repel the Savages!" prevent those nice free colonist events?

germanpeon said:
Doesnt not selecting "Repel the Savages!" prevent those nice free colonist events?

I don't know, to be honest.

This Portugal game is my first real take on MM colonization. It's a whole new world for me too (like it should be with exploration, I guess). I selected the "trade proposal" because it fitted in my mercantile/pacifist approach and I liked the base tax bonus. Maybe ubik could shed some light on possible repercussions...

Finaly Portugal arrived to the New World, let the Portuguese empire expand all around the world.

Agree. This a great AAR, i hope it will continue soon.
Makes me want to play Portugal myself in my next session.

If it is not too much to ask, would you mind posting the fleet details of Portugal and other major powers for comparison ?

Keep up the good work!