• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sebolosolo

Recruit
Feb 25, 2024
I tried expelling a holy order and they still own land I'm my realm (i did this four times and now i cant declare war on them yet they still own land in my area), and my vassal limit suddenly dropped from 36 to 23 and I don't know why please help!

I tried expelling a holy order and they still own land I'm my realm (i did this four times and now i cant declare war on them yet they still own land in my area), and my vassal limit suddenly dropped from 36 to 23 and I don't know why please help!
That large swing in vassal limit is probably not related to the holy order - although it's in that annoying middle range where I can't think of any single thing that might cause it without you noticing. (Loss of 43(!!!) diplomacy due to regency - you'd probably notice. Downgrade from emperor to king - you'd probably notice. Make 3-5 law changes - you'd probably notice. Etc.)

I suggest you check the wiki page on vassal limits, and think about whether any of that might have happened in the recent past.

You'll also note that both Conclave and Charlemagne have a big impact on this calculation, so it's important to think about which DLC you have active, if any. (You haven't linked your forum profile to Steam, which is understandable for a new account, but it means we can't see your DLC.)

---

As for the holy order thing, this is an exceptionally annoying "feature" of the game, especially for anything which requires that you "completely control" an area (eg. forming the Roman Empire), and especially for Catholics (the only religion with multiple holy orders, meaning you can't vassalise them all (without exploits)).

My best suggestion is that you convert to another religion for the sole purpose of attacking the holy order, then convert back at the end of the war(*). If you win the war and convert back within a year or two, it's unlikely that there'll be any negative impacts on your realm (eg. rebels, factions, vassals/provinces converting to your new religion).

This is Very CynicalTM, but cynical abuse of the Church is rather in-character for medieval rulers, so I don't think it's a particularly bad exploit. If you're not in ironman, I suggest you give yourself the "cynical" trait via the console as role-play flavour ;-)

(*) Eg: Right-click on any demesne province of a different religion, or any demesne province that has a holy site of a different religion (eg. Jerusalem, Mecca), or spouse/concubine/friend of a different religion, and secretly convert to that religion. Then right-click on yourself to publicly adopt your secret religion. Then do the war. Afterwards, right-click on yourself to convert to the religion of your capital province. You need to have 250 piety and 500 prestige, but that's probably not a problem at the stage you're at.

Last edited:
what land they own? only baronies? or some counties? or even duchies?

take a look at your vassal limit calculation to see why is it the number it is