• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am the Byzantine emperor, and my heir's goverment is a republic, therefore i can't vote him to become the next emperor. PLS Help

This is... confusing. If my suggestions below don't relate to your situation, please add screenshots.

Assuming your desired heir has somehow got himself a city, the only way to make him eligible for byzantium is to revoke all of his titles.

On the other hand, if your desired heir is unlanded/feudal and you recently created a vassal merchant republic, the act of creating the MR will cause the succession calculation to bug out. To fix the problem: save, exit and reload.

This is... confusing. If my suggestions below don't relate to your situation, please add screenshots.

Assuming your desired heir has somehow got himself a city, the only way to make him eligible for byzantium is to revoke all of his titles.

On the other hand, if your desired heir is unlanded/feudal and you recently created a vassal merchant republic, the act of creating the MR will cause the succession calculation to bug out. To fix the problem: save, exit and reload.
How do i revoke his titles without the -15 opinion penalty to all vassals?

How do i revoke his titles without the -15 opinion penalty to all vassals?

You have to have a justification - eg. a claim on that specific title, or "acted dishonorably towards me". The latter can be obtained in various ways - eg. failed rebellions, spying on him via the WoL intrigue focus, refusal to stop plotting.

Or you can just eat the tyranny penalty. -15 is not so bad.

---

There are numerous exploits that enable you to "farm" the "acted dishonorably" justifications, which enables mass title revocation. The exploit described below is particularly easy, and merely knowing about it might decrease your enjoyment of the game, so it's in a spoiler box.

If all of the following conditions are true:
  • you are both of the same Christian religion (eg. Orthodox)
  • you both have the same religious head (eg. Ecumenical Patriarch; note that autocephalous patriarchs count as different religious heads)
  • your religious head will take your side against your target (eg. because the EP is your vassal and your target has some character flaws)
then:
  • (optional) if your target is unmarried, buy a favor from him;
  • move troops on top of all of his holdings (at least 10k per county, preferably 20-30k);
  • excommunicate him;
  • repeat the following steps until he has no titles:
    • pause;
    • imprison/release him until he rebels;
    • unpause;
    • siege down his provinces quickly (20-30k troops should allow near-instant assaults);
    • revoke a title;
    • release him from prison;
  • lift his excommunication (so electors are more likely to vote for him);
  • (optional) use the favor to invite him to your court
    • This only works for unmarried unlanded characters who aren't already in the court of a close relative.
    • If he has other landed close relatives, he might go to their court rather than yours when he loses his last title. In this case, there's nothing you can do and your favor money is lost.
He'll hate you by the end of it (many imprisonments + many revoked titles), but that's the price you pay *shrug*.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You have to have a justification - eg. a claim on that specific title, or "acted dishonorably towards me". The latter can be obtained in various ways - eg. failed rebellions, spying on him via the WoL intrigue focus, refusal to stop plotting.

Or you can just eat the tyranny penalty. -15 is not so bad.

---

There are numerous exploits that enable you to "farm" the "acted dishonorably" justifications, which enables mass title revocation. The exploit described below is particularly easy, and merely knowing about it might decrease your enjoyment of the game, so it's in a spoiler box.

If all of the following conditions are true:
  • you are both of the same Christian religion (eg. Orthodox)
  • you both have the same religious head (eg. Ecumenical Patriarch; note that autocephalous patriarchs count as different religious heads)
  • your religious head will take your side against your target (eg. because the EP is your vassal and your target has some character flaws)
then:
  • (optional) if your target is unmarried, buy a favor from him;
  • move troops on top of all of his holdings (at least 10k per county, preferably 20-30k);
  • excommunicate him;
  • repeat the following steps until he has no titles:
    • pause;
    • imprison/release him until he rebels;
    • unpause;
    • siege down his provinces quickly (20-30k troops should allow near-instant assaults);
    • revoke a title;
    • release him from prison;
  • lift his excommunication (so electors are more likely to vote for him);
  • (optional) use the favor to invite him to your court
    • This only works for unmarried unlanded characters who aren't already in the court of a close relative.
    • If he has other landed close relatives, he might go to their court rather than yours when he loses his last title. In this case, there's nothing you can do and your favor money is lost.
He'll hate you by the end of it (many imprisonments + many revoked titles), but that's the price you pay *shrug*.
Thanks

Be wary of using that as you want to be playing as that character in the future.

Souring his relationship with the religious head amd risking excommunication is something of concern.

I'd personally use way of life intrigue. You'd usually eventually find something to call them out on.

Be wary of using that as you want to be playing as that character in the future.

Souring his relationship with the religious head amd risking excommunication is something of concern.

I'd personally use way of life intrigue. You'd usually eventually find something to call them out on.

As long as you lift the excommunication at the end, there shouldn't be any lasting effects between the character and the religious head. It's not like he did anything sinful (eg. branded apostate) - it's just politics.

But, on the other hand, if you only need to take one title then there are any number of methods you can use. (Including tyranny!)