• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My main army stood in Ulster, the Scots landed 8,000 troops by ship behind me in Tyrone and I didn't notice because I was orchestrating my 1500 men beseiging the Scottish capital. The beseiging force never made it back to Ireland and my main force got trounced trying to lift the seige of Tyrone.

That was your problem. In his game it is better to defend first and attack later. Unless you already have your mercenary armies on the enemy provinces and can repel enemy fleets.

My main army stood in Ulster, the Scots landed 8,000 troops by ship behind me in Tyrone and I didn't notice because I was orchestrating my 1500 men beseiging the Scottish capital. The beseiging force never made it back to Ireland and my main force got trounced trying to lift the seige of Tyrone.

I take it you didn’t have enough for a second mercenary band?

It seems to me it should have been very winnable if you dealt with his main force first and then went to occupy his lands and kill his troops as they spawned.

In fighting a very large battle it sometimes helps to strengthen your flanks a little more than the center. You don’t want the center weak, just the flanks strong. If the center breaks the army will run. You want that to happen to him, not to you.

Another tactic to use against the AI is to split your stacks so it will attack a weaker one and you have a short march to reinforce them and trap and kill his main force.

Also, What was his CB for the war? I don’t remember you saying.

Also, What was his CB for the war? I don’t remember you saying.

I'm not sure how I'd know what his CB was. I do know that he had a claim to the title of King of Ireland and the title of the war suggested he was pressing this claim.

Aye, would've taken the hit. Wouldn't have been happy about it, but I would've taken the hit. Thankfully, I've never had my shit go that south for me. Worst I've had happen is have a county here and there sniped from me by enemies when I wasn't in a condition to fight them. Oh, and the ERE Emperor jerkface totally revoked a barony from me. It seems minor, I know, but I HATE having a county that has a holding not under my control, and it was just a dick move on the Emperor's part.

But it's cool: The Bulgaria Remembers.

If it was only a claim to the kingdom you wouldn't have lost much. You would have become his vasal but you would have kept all of your desmesnes and your count vassals. It could have been possible to reclaim your kingdom later.

Well, I agree with some posts. You could at least try to continue and check Your situation. What is important in Your case, new Ireland would be weakened with antonomus vassals, so You could still try to reclaim some lands - even attack Scottish one. In my new game I started as Lombardia and now I am King of Italy - Jerusalem and I guess soon Burgundy. I've got 200 holdings under my rule - but I am still under HRE, which got together with me 500 holdings. This may sounds strange, still waiting for better chance. Maybe I could win independence, but better for me to play under HRE yet. I was thinking about independence once, and when Emperor made me his spymaster, I killed him ;) Was planning to revolt... Then returned to the ground, while regency in HRE (I was regent :) ) I was under massive Jihad. Emperor sent army, and crushed them all (Marrakech, Mauretania, Seljuk, Qarachnid and Tripolitania / Africa). So now I am patient and loyal (in spite of the fact that once he inprisoned me, but accepted ransom). Why it is good ? Cause he got problem with setting CA and I am attacking his vassals. One by one, slowly increasing my realm. Sometimes I have attacked muslims - don't care about defending, Emperor will take care of it :p

Last edited:
I don't "cheat" in the classic sense, however, I can be a major save abuser. and depending on who you talk to, that's pretty much glorified cheating in itself.

I believe is easy in ireland to have the majority of the kingdom in your demesne, if that was the case, you could declare independence war on him, immediately usurp the title from the scots, and I believe the war would have been declared invalid if both your titles were equal. True, he would have a claim for your whole kingdom, but for 10 years you could build your treasury and manpower, maybe get friendly with the english and the scots would think twice before attacking you again.

In single player games, there is no dishonor in cheating. That's what I tell myself... :eek:o I'f I don't like the way the plot is developing or if this story is starting to bore me, I'll change the script without regret. I don't have the discipline to watch my kingdom dwindle to nothing over three evenings.

... ... maybe get friendly with the english ... ...

There are no English in my game. England doesn't exist - it's the Kingdom of Norway :cool:

As this is the only game I've played, I'll ask others ... ... does England implode regularly or is my game out of the norm?

There are no English in my game. England doesn't exist - it's the Kingdom of Norway :cool:

As this is the only game I've played, I'll ask others ... ... does England implode regularly or is my game out of the norm?

if you use the first bookmark, sometimes william dies during the campaign and the norman invasion never completes, I usually use the second bookmark, from december, to make sure I have england proper.
Anyway, my post from above is incorrect, it is impossible to usurp your title back from someone at war.

I finished my game of Ireland today in about 1220. Could I have continued? Sure. But, I just... couldn't. Losing ground is tough. But, I think I achieved everything I wanted there.

I formed the Kingdom of Ireland, sanctioned an invasion on England and took the crown. I had enough of Wales and Cornwall now to form my third crown, Brythain, and finally, one of my daughters matrilineally married to a Prince of Scotland, was now Queen of Scotland, and her heir was my grandson. Two assassinations later, I had all four crowns under my belt.

Unfortunately, I was pushing 65 years old and died soon after. My son was not the most ideal ruler, and combined with the overexpansion and foreign culture differences, I ended up having to pass the crowns out until all I was left with was Ireland. (11 vassals with 70%+ chances to rebel. Ouch.)

I may have lost, but, there was a big "UA RUAIRC" splattered across all of the Isles.

The Irish Ua Ruarics - My line.

The Welsh Ua Ruaircs - Dominating Brythain (sans Brittany, they were eaten by a half-unified Iberia under the Castille family)

The Saxon Ua Ruaircs - Every Dynasty member I could find without land was given duchies/counties after my invasion.

The Scottish/Norwegian Ua Ruairc - Descendants from my first ruler's second son, given The Isles as a pittance. Gave them the Scottish crown and let them deal with the revolts. :p

Obviously, my issue came up with my rulers converting to the local culture. >.>

Well, I cheated again. Still playing the same game (the only game I've played so far). Just installed patch 1.05 but don't know whether this would have happened under 1.04 anyway. I was fighting a rebellious vassal when the kingdoms of England, France and Scotland declared against my vassal too. However, when their doomstacks arrived, they invaded my lands and annihiliated my armies - how can that happen, they are not at war with me??

I saved, reloaded as my vassal, surrendered to me (King of Ireland) and reloaded again. Problem solved - the doomstacks stopped attacking my armies and beseiging my vassal lands and went home.

This time I feel justified in my cheat because I don't see how doomstacks can just randomly attack armies that they are not at war with. Grrrr:angry:

I always enjoy reading these "to cheat or not to cheat" conversations around various games. My personal take:

It's a game, not real life, so do what you want to enjoy it. I've played 100% legitimate games and games where I've cheated like crazy and I've enjoyed them both (let me add SP only, obviously MP cheating is entirely different).

Fortunately with CK2, you can save as many files as you want as often as you want, so try cheating like you did, and if you find it causes you to lose all interest, you can still go back and try to play it through legitimately. I think the best advice came from the person who said to put that particular campaign aside for a day or two to calm yourself down, then come back and see how you feel once your mind is clear again.

I only ever use the money cheat and then only at the start of a new game. For example, I have modded in my de Mason family, created a Duke Stuart (a saxon) and gave him an independent Duchy of Cornwall starting in 1067. Part of my internal narrative for the game is that he then "finds" a huge cache of the Anglo-Saxon gold that we today are finding buried all over the country. Using that "saxon gold", he know has a chance at least for wrestling England back from the control of the pesky Normans..