• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Palmerdale

Major
27 Badges
Oct 3, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
I've recently played the US. On three separate games, I attacked Mexico and put in all 5 Reclaim Cores CBs, I saw them on the Show Wars page. But Mexico has kept California every time. I've destroyed all their army and occupied all of Mexico. There's nothing else to knock over; I can't increase the Warscore. The only way to exit the war leaves California as a Mexican state. Is it an issue with issuing 5 Reclaim Core CBs at once, or is there something I'm overlooking?

Maybe having adding all five CBs increases the needed warscore to something over 100? The AI will never accept (AFAIK) a peacedeal that has a value greater than 100. NNM and descendant mods fix this by having a decision that allows you to reclaim the current cores when you've occupied Mexico City, as I recall.

Yes, unfortunately, the standard cost of those cores is more than 100, so you are unable to annex the entire historical territory. Meaning, you have to have a 2nd Mexican-American War just to get the historical result. Several mods fix this, including POP Demand Mod if I remember correctly.

Yes, in the POP demand mod there is an event that lets Mexico cede all USA cores in exchange for money (and I think better relations and influence for the USA). I don't remember all the details but if I'm not mistaken it actually fired after the war was over. (I was playing Mexico and losing, it can be very frustrating especially as events in the mod weaken Mexico anyway).

Or maybe the event fired before the war i.e. when they got Manifest Destiny? Either way, it does exist.

I think the base game is anticipating California somehow successfully rebelling, which will then join the Union just the same way Texas does, while the USA pulls a 100 war score peace deal for the rest of her cores. Ask me the number of times I have seen or heard of that happening though...

It's none. No times. This is something you cheese with the console or you get a mod to solve until Vicky 3, hopefully.

Thanks, all.

I was thinking the issue was something to do with building the string for the confirmation message. The offer peace message was awfully crowded with full names for the first 4 properties. I had thought it was trying to build a string that was too long and couldn't fit in the fifth territory name.

It's definitely the max warscore thing. I replayed the war again yesterday, and the warscore never went over 100, even killing mexican troops and rebels. I needed 134 to acquire all the territories at once. There doesn't seem to be a way to avoid a another Mexican-American, I had intervened in the Texas revolt (at the beginning of the game), but didn't put in the war goals for Mexican Texas then. That still wouldn't have helped. I would have needed to Return Cores on Texas and New Mexico or Arizona (and maybe all 3) to reduce the total warscore needed below 100. California alone is worth 44, so the other states only total 90.

I doubt I'll retry that from the start.