• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've tried every ship ratio and map tactic possible. What is consistent is my positioning and my morale always sucks. I don't know what to do to make them better. Ship ratio is certainly not the problem. I'm going to look at this more this weekend. And Sir Draco, having 10 ships run in and board one my 160 ships and make my entire fleet flee in terror does not make any sense. Even if a 100 ships can't fire and 60 can, then it still wouldn't make sense. I've seen GB running around with 70 ships on one stack, they do just fine. Position and morale is the problem, I cannot explain why is consistently low no matter the fleet stack size or map position.

Bah,

If it is about the stacking penalty.... what I can guarantee is that I have never won a single battle against GBR in a 1:1 ratio. I even lost battles in 6vs1 fights... So...................... please, if you can tell me what I am doing wrong, that would be extremely appreciated!

Where are example for these 1:3 to 1:16 battles?

Bah,

If it is about the stacking penalty.... what I can guarantee is that I have never won a single battle against GBR in a 1:1 ratio. I even lost battles in 6vs1 fights... So...................... please, if you can tell me what I am doing wrong, that would be extremely appreciated!

You are fighting against GB. This is your primary fault:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...-look-nations-hardest-fought-battles-sea.html

You really need to learn to google, son.

Case in point, Trafalgar(not some small skirmish from another age):

1. I saw some 1:2 battles. But not greater ratio.

2. Similar to add +100% attack to USA's CV's, and 200% to SS against japanese CV's, in HoI series, 9 skill for everywhone and tell it is historical, and fun...
And add some mechanics , so even when Japan put ALL efforts to build proper navy, they will always lose like in MotE.

3. In current mechanics, Trafalgar with 1:1 ratio, and no losses was only average battle, and Nelson was only average skill leader:)

Last edited:
GB gets insane (and OP) bonuses for being a constitutional monarchy. I've balanced them out in my game by reducing the dominance bonuses and removing the attack bonuses/reducing the morale boost from their government type.

Also GB is to water was French leaders are on land, very powerful.

History is interesting and all but this is a game; A game where you should be able to change history. If I spend my entire game as France doing nothing but focusing on my navy, that should at least have the potential to yield some sort of new result.

As far as I can tell, numbers basically don't matter for naval battles in MotE. Double your navy, and you probably just end up with lousy positioning meaning you do less than half as much damage.

Using the 1792 mod and playing as Netherlands, I sent my fleet of 30 1st-rates against a GB fleet of 5 Ships of the Line, a couple light ships, and a couple transports... and lost. Badly - I barely even hurt them. Which was my first experience with this problem like everyone who tried France has apparently found, and called for some rethinking.

Once I'd repaired my fleet, I tried an alternate strategy - I just used small waves of ships. 10 ships in the each wave, pulling out before I actually lost any but keeping constant pressure on. First wave killed nothing; second wave killed one ship; third wave killed a couple more. So it was working... then the rest of the game interfered when Sweden and Russia declared war on me, and I had to stop paying attention to whittling down GB's navy and focus on land. Ran out of time in that game before I ever got back to dealing with GB.

It's a very slow, attritional approach that requires constant human attention (if you don't pull your fleets out manually, you'll lose several ships before morale breaks), but it can work I think.

As far as I can tell, numbers basically don't matter for naval battles in MotE. Double your navy, and you probably just end up with lousy positioning meaning you do less than half as much damage.

Using the 1792 mod and playing as Netherlands, I sent my fleet of 30 1st-rates against a GB fleet of 5 Ships of the Line, a couple light ships, and a couple transports... and lost. Badly - I barely even hurt them. Which was my first experience with this problem like everyone who tried France has apparently found, and called for some rethinking.

Once I'd repaired my fleet, I tried an alternate strategy - I just used small waves of ships. 10 ships in the each wave, pulling out before I actually lost any but keeping constant pressure on. First wave killed nothing; second wave killed one ship; third wave killed a couple more. So it was working... then the rest of the game interfered when Sweden and Russia declared war on me, and I had to stop paying attention to whittling down GB's navy and focus on land. Ran out of time in that game before I ever got back to dealing with GB.

It's a very slow, attritional approach that requires constant human attention (if you don't pull your fleets out manually, you'll lose several ships before morale breaks), but it can work I think.

I'll try that strategy out with my French hopefully this weekend. I'm late game though and GB has many 10 stacks of ships and if I stack my ships up to 60, they do as well as come after me. My naval forces however outnumber theres about 3:1. I'm not sure it's a winnable scenario at this point, but I will definitely try out your strategy along with a few others. I'm thinking about trying your strategy and attempting to lure them out into the Mediterranean and line up ships up and down the entire Southern Spanish coast, let them file in like a gauntlet at the Straight of Gibralator as the Spanish in my game have retaken there rightful land. Seems silly but it might work.

Playing as France I have beat GB is multiple battle, just not major ones. I use my constructed fleet to pick off the English ships and wear them down.

I'm thinking that frontage may have something to do with the adverse effect on trying to beat GBR with mega stacks..but then again, I've been awake all night working and may just be talking in my sleep?? :closedeyes:

Frontage is definitely the biggest problem. I also didn't have last Naval Tech that gave +1 to Morale, so hopefully that problem will be fixed. So after I get that tech I'll try and keep and document some different scenarios. I'll try with different ship ratios and I'll try and come back with the best solutions. I'm determined to invade Great Britain this weekend. Tonight I'm going to solve this problem once and for all for the glorious French Empire. Vive La France!

Funny enought, but I never ever got that situation in all mygames!

More funny, there are so many people here claiming to read a lot about history, naval science, or military science. And still, all we can read here is complain. Allow me to hurt your feelings, and demonstrate you simply know very little about thse subjects, and much more less about preparing a campaign. Not that I am smarter than any of you, IA being in my opinion an overrated data.

1) History teach us none for the last 1000 years have been able to invade succefully Great Britain, the last to have succeed being as everyone know a Frecnh noble (Duke of Normandy), adn it was a moment of great weakness. Great luck I would say.

2) As long as the RN is able to stand in the Channel, it is impossible for any forces to pass throught it (the Channel I mean) ergo land invasion is impossible.

3) UK do have a long history of pro active management of any potential forces that might (or might not) challenge their supremacy. Mers el Kebir being the last one of a very long list.

4) UK is a global power, spread around the world, and as many colonial power, is dependant of the colonies for necessary goods. Suez during WW2 being the closest exemple of that, did Rommel sucess, UK would have yield, while even an invasion of Mainland would have done such a thing.

5) UK, following the various defeats, heavy defeats, the RN got during the French and Indian war (Canada was won only by cheer luck), the Admirality implemented a set of reforms, and mad the RN an impressive force. At the opposite, the Marine Nationale, stayed in a lasp of time, believing they will always dominate the red coat on the seas (forgetting most of the victories were more the fact of the english bad luck, poor commandement, and also they had some of the best commanders of the time. But they became old and died).

6) Other europeans navies are outdated, with mostly average commanders, but for one exception that is in game : Latouche Treville, the only man who defeated Nelson 3 times in a row (historically he is dead, so we may assume there is a reason for him to be present).

7) If we assume the previous points, a strategy start to appear : the RN must be push out of the channel, French allies must regroup, occupy the channel long enought to allow the transport to invade. Easy to say, maybe harder to do.

8) The good thing, is such strategy has been formulated at that time, and if followed would have good chances of success (let say 51 /49, I let choose wich side is 51%!). Latouche Treville did wrote that strategy : move the mediteranean fleet to the Antilla, ravage english colonies there, when the main RN fleet will arrive sail at full speed back to France, collect spanish fleet + the 2 french fleet of atlantic, then take the Channel for 48 hours whatever the price.

9) The very same strategy is working with the game, Antilla are not here, but there is a week point close to 'land end' in corwall, and finistere cap in france, you can hammer the RN, and make it stay there, it is costly (if you do it normally) or it is gamey (with a strategy of hit and run). But it works , and soon you will see most of the RN, with Nelson and the others great admirals stay there. Futhermore, put the only corp you have in nothern Germany way to the south, if you are lucky the red coat will invade (dispersing more their fleet).

10) At this point, using the Dutch navy, you will be able to cross, and land at Dover. 4 month later UK is yours for the taking.

11) For those who will speak about trafalgar, fact is that battle was Villeneuve defeat and Nelson victory, but if Villeneuve did follow the plan, never Trafalgar would happend, Nelson arriving in the channel too late to be of some use.

Sorry to have been a bit Mr Smart Ass, but the topic is not new, and after 10 years or so to play Pdox games I have learn nothing is in the game without reason. France need only ONE admiral (more it would be too much), because there is oly one possible strategy, usually that can be implemented only at the start of the game, pass june or jully it is too late, and the RN will be able to have enought shipps to secure the channel , block your fleets in the Atlantic, and invade in nothern germany

Sorry to have been a bit Mr Smart Ass, but the topic is not new, and after 10 years or so to play Pdox games I have learn nothing is in the game without reason. France need only ONE admiral (more it would be too much), because there is oly one possible strategy, usually that can be implemented only at the start of the game, pass june or jully it is too late, and the RN will be able to have enought shipps to secure the channel , block your fleets in the Atlantic, and invade in nothern germany

Good point. But when French coalition have 10:1 , instead of 2:1 ratio in capital ships/fregates , and all ideas which boost naval units why player can't change this strategy?

seeing as you had so many ships stacked together.. doesnt it effect positioning and such? If you have too many ships you make them useless.

Exactly. What would happen in real life if 1000 ships went up against one? Obviously, in real life the thousand ships would be completely useless because of stacking penalty and the lone ship would mow them all down and come out on top. The implementation of stacking penalty in this game is completely realistic.

Exactly. What would happen in real life if 1000 ships went up against one? Obviously, in real life the thousand ships would be completely useless because of stacking penalty and the lone ship would mow them all down and come out on top. The implementation of stacking penalty in this game is completely realistic.

In real life the 1000 ships navy would suffer losses to friendly fire and what not. Maybe you start thinking about the reasoning behind those mechanics, then you might be able to take the first step on the long road to understanding Pdox games.

But well, I really doubt you are able to.