• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ChaoticSequence

Sergeant
42 Badges
Nov 24, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
Personally I would like more warnings to stop me making annoying mistakes. My most recent example is accidentally building a city in a neighbour's county. This is something that an actual ruler would be extremely unlikely to do, but in the world of CK2 is actually quite easy. In reality an advisor would at least say "Are you sure you want to build a city for [relevant duke], or do you mean to build it in your own neighbouring county?" While I don't expect complete realism in the game this would be an easy addition and would save millions of headaches without too much of an issue.

I can't think of many of these cases off the top of my head, but will add more as I think of them or as others suggest new ideas.

Here's the current list:
- A warning when you're building a holding outside your demesne
- A warning when you're about to disband mercenaries (or at least a red highlight like retinues)
- A warning when disbanding ships with troops on them

Would more warnings be a good addition to CK2? Please post any further suggestions.

Last edited:
Just no. I wouldn't like being constantly asked if I meant what I did. Just be aware of what you do, check multiple times, but don't blame the game for your inattention. It's like being treated like a child...

I think the reason is it's not a warning, but showing the result of the action: "if you disband those x units here, y units will be back in your provinces". Disbanding mercenaries never change, whatever the conditions are, so no need of showing the result as it is always the same.

I don't say it's the best way to do it, but at least it's not illogical.

I think the reason is it's not a warning, but showing the result of the action: "if you disband those x units here, y units will be back in your provinces". Disbanding mercenaries never change, whatever the conditions are, so no need of showing the result as it is always the same.

I don't say it's the best way to do it, but at least it's not illogical.

It at least alerts you for event troops and retinue--one can't be recovered, the other has a financial cost (so does mercenary disbanding if you need to raise them again), so it's strange mercenaries are the odd one out of the extra-levy troop types.

Perhaps they could make your suggested messages toggle-able. I wouldnt want to be bothered by them :D Should be fairly simple since they've already done it with all the message options.

Just no. I wouldn't like being constantly asked if I meant what I did. Just be aware of what you do, check multiple times, but don't blame the game for your inattention. It's like being treated like a child...

Vista...the memories....

Mercenaries definitely need an alert, as well as not disbanding with levies. I've made that mistake so many times that I can't count the gold I lost from it.

Actually, building holdings in your vassal's counties can be a bit of an exploit.

If you create a city in a vassal county and give it a random mayor then YOU are the mayor's direct liege and that means that you get his taxes.
The problem is that the count gets a -25 "desires holding" opinion hit to you.

But, if you create the city in a county where the count is not your direct vassal (e.g. he's the vassal of a duke who is a direct vassal of yours) then you don't care that he dislikes you. You only care about his liege's opinion and the liege doesn't get an opinion hit to you.

Also, I don't have EU4, but I think that the converter makes provinces better (more tax?) if they have more holdings, so someone planning to convert their game might want to improve their vassals counties.

How about "warning, you currently have 20,000 retinue embarked on ships" when disbanding fleets in port?

I mean, what happened - did the sailors kill the retinue?

OK. I've now done this twice! Just accidentally disbanded ships with 3,000 of the best Greek retinues (i.e. the most expensive in the game) and 6,000 odd of mercenaries. There SO should be a warning for this; especially since they think it worth having a warning for disbanding retinues generally.

Situational awareness saves lives. A game like Crusader Kings demands a higher level of concentration, as there are dozens of gambits you can have going on at any one time. Warnings for simple things like building cities can only clutter the interface and bring the game to a standstill - remember when it would warn you for EVERY discovered plot, and you had to respond to them manually?

So... I've never managed to do ANY of the things listed above. Either I'm extremely lucky or I pay attention to what I'm doing in my game. I would be okay with toggleable warnings, but warnings that appear because OTHER people are careless would really start to annoy me after a very short time. I'm not so careless that I disband ships with retinues, mercenaries, or even levies aboard them. I'm not so careless as to disband the mercenaries I just spent half my treasury hiring until I'm sure I want them disbanded. And I've never built a holding outside my own demesne. I didn't know it was possible to do that until a few months ago, and I still can't see how it's possible to do that by accident.

Just be more careful where you click and make sure that you mean what you're about to do. Take half a second to check yourself, and you'll be fine. You shouldn't have to have your hand held through all of this. That's just my opinion.

You can just just use the military screen to disband troops. In there it's extremely easy to not disband mercenaries and retinues. And it's also easier to disband troops from in there.

As for you suggestiom, no. Paying attention is the best warning we can get. If you ask me it's not that hard to see if a province is mine or if it belong to some random dude.

Situational awareness saves lives. A game like Crusader Kings demands a higher level of concentration, as there are dozens of gambits you can have going on at any one time. Warnings for simple things like building cities can only clutter the interface and bring the game to a standstill - remember when it would warn you for EVERY discovered plot, and you had to respond to them manually?

How does a warning clutter the interface? Obviously it would be good if warnings were toggleable, but how often do you WANT to disband ships with retinues on them? A warning such as that is only going to annoy you if you actually want to do it.