• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
It all started when the Danish King Erik I realised that his old unlanded uncle Asbjörn stood as successor to the Swedish Duchy of Uppland. Upon investigating it turned out that Uppland was under elective law and that the reigning duke, Emund II, also belonged to the House of Munsö. Not exactly close relatives though as can be seen in this dynasty tree:

ck2_dynasty_tree.png

But apparently Emund felt strongly about his relatives. Two problems stood in Erik's way to exploit this however. First of all, since uncle Asbjörn was unlanded he would become a Swedish duke of Uppland. Second of all, Asbjörn was quite old and would most likely die long before the very young Emund.

The solution to the first problem was to be found in Prussia. The provinces of Marienburg and Sambia belonged to the King's half-brother Svend, who himself was already imprisoned due to an earlier plot attempt to take the crown. Perfect. He was quickly bannished and the two provinces redistributed to Asbjörn. Next King Erik created the duchy of Prussia and handed the title to his uncle. Erik's spymaster was dispatched to Uppland to increase the chance of assassination which now hit 35%. Still not good, but Erik decided to gamble. The assassin succeded and was luckily not discovered. The duchy of Uppland was transferd to Asbjörn and the Kingdom of Denmark grew by seven provinces.

ck2_denmark.png

The cherry on top of the cake is that Asbjörn will pass the duchy on to another member of Munsö: King Erik's cousin Margrete, who happens to be married with the King's half-brother Harald. And Harald? He of course happens to be King Erik's heir...

ck2_harald.png

Great AAR! :)

Some very intrigant scheming going on here!

I like it :D

Me too ;) Taking provinces by being a scheming, murdering backstabber is always more fun than just conquering them!

That's the sort of stuff that make me want to play CKII

Me too ;) Taking provinces by being a scheming, murdering backstabber is always more fun than just conquering them!

Indeed. I remember back in CK1 where i realised my brother's third son was third in line for the duchy of provence.. several houndred gold pieces later, most of the duke of provence's immediate family, and some of my own (most notably, my 2 sons, and my brother's 2 oldest sons), had suffered some rather griveous... accidents :D

(It was also the first game, where i racked up a "kinslayer" trait.. wasn't pleasant, but it was worth it :D)

What "kinslayer" does? Does it exist in CK2?

Really interesting AAR.

And is it me or in the last picture does the Prince have a claim on the throne of England?

Yes it is. He (and all his brothers and sisters) inherited it when their father died. The King of Denmark starts the game in 1066 with a claim on England. I'm still planning a possible invasion but it's gonna be tough so I'm still building up my country. Stealing half of Sweden was a big step on the way.

wait, why Swedish duchy was incorporated to Kingdom of Denmark? Even if Denmark King's uncle have inherited mentioned duchy, this duchy should be still part of Kingdom of Sweden and uncle of Denmark King sould be vassal of Crown od Sweden...

wait, why Swedish duchy was incorporated to Kingdom of Denmark? Even if Denmark King's uncle have inherited mentioned duchy, this duchy should be still part of Kingdom of Sweden and uncle of Denmark King sould be vassal of Crown od Sweden...

If you inherit something of a lower or equal tier as yourself, you will inherit it out. Why? Because in CKII you can't have multiple lieges and if he didn't inherited it out, he and his Danish duchy would have been inherited into Sweden.

You can't have 2 lieges and since the oncle was already a duke vassal of denmark, he stayed duke vassal of denmark. I think if he was only a count, he would have become a duke vassal of sweden.

What "kinslayer" does? Does it exist in CK2?

I don't remember the exact negative effects, but they were bad.. very bad.. I really hope it's still in, elsewise I'll be murdering family left and right xD

@ Captain Gars: Good to know that Denmark got a claim on the english crown as well, I'm beginning to formulate a plan for an interesting AAR already ^^

Last edited:
Mini-AAR: How Denmark Stole Uppland

Erroneous title. Everyone knows Uppland, like the rest of Sweden, belongs to Denmark by right. It can't possibly be stolen by Denmark.

Nicely done.