• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gregory Gray

Private
84 Badges
Jan 5, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
I have a tendency to over-analyze details like these, so I apologise in advance :laugh:

Is there an inner mechanic that really gives a hidden mathematical statistical advantage to the troop? I understand that the difference between Horde and Close Array works without such a mechanic, since spread out [Horde] units can be ‘ganked’ by an enemy pack in close melee, whilst in a Close Array they would ‘be able to aid their comrades’. This is an abstract bonus, which would function without the descriptor.

But Wedge, for example, says units on the edge get a damage bonus. During the whole time they're engaged? Just for the first few seconds they're in the fight?

Shield Wall – ‘Stand well against Archers’, so they get a bonus similar to Heavy Armor? '+ Shooting Resistance'? Or is it simply that they're a smaller target a la Horde? But 'charges break the wall'. Again, is this a hidden mechanic that applies a bonus damage multiplier if they are charged (also, just by cavalry, or do charges by infantry count as well?), or is it simply pointing out to us that a thin wall of troops will be staggered by a charge?

Part of the reason I inquire is to wonder if changing the formation a split second before engaging in melee is a viable tactic. For example; staying in Horde while charging for protection against Archers, then when a metre away from the enemy, jumping into Wedge/Diamond etc.

All information I receive will eventually be incorporated into the King Arthur 2 Wiki: http://kingarthurii.wikia.com/wiki/King_Arthur_II:_The_Role-Playing_Wargame_Wiki, so a double thanks for all comments, answers and observations. :D

Last edited:
I wanted to give you as thorough answer as I can, so I asked one of our designers called XP. This is what he says:

Is there an inner mechanic that really gives a hidden mathematical statistical advantage to the troop?
The short answer is yes. We do use abstract modifiers to ensure the intended game mechanics are achieved, but the system has an inherent ability to simulate combat situations to a quite adequate level. Lots of values are calculated with in the background, ranging from unit mass and movement vector, to the position of individual soldiers relative to where they are supposed to be in a formation. Many combat mechanics are resolved purely through these calculations.

But Wedge, for example, says units on the edge get a damage bonus. During the whole time they're engaged? Just for the first few seconds they're in the fight?
Neither. The units benefit from their formation bonuses as long as they don’t break formation. Once a certain value drops below critical, the units dissolve into horde formation and receive new modifiers accordingly.
Regards archery and trampling, the aforementioned background calculations take care most of that, backed by some abstract bonuses/penalties. Arrow shots for example take the target unit’s total occupied area into consideration as well as the density of soldiers in that area. Therefore, shield wall formation takes advantage of the fact that it is a smaller target. At the same time, horses charging into a shield wall will experience fewer collisions than against other formations and thus lose less momentum.

...wonder if changing the formation a split second before engaging in melee is a viable tactic.
In my experience, this doesn’t work. It takes some time to assume closed formations, and there isn’t enough time in the above example. The unit would attempt to form up into wedge but will certainly fail to do so and almost immediately dissolve into horde instead. You need some distance to perform that maneuver.
So, there you have it. The short answer. :)