• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

iAeschylus

Recruit
85 Badges
May 29, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
My female character matrilinealy married an illegitimate bastard of my dynasty (who became king of Egypt by beneficiary in the crusade). Afterward, he lost the Jihad and converted to Islam, married a second wife, had a daughter, and apparently created a new dynasty for himself. Suddenly all my children of my dynasty now switched to his new dynasty, and I no longer have any dynastic heir.

I already changed my succession law, so can't switch. My character is 46, can't have anymore children. I don't think I have enough time to kill all my children and hope succession fall on another member of my dynasty. I'm on iron man.

So after spending 70 hours on this, I'll just get a game over because of a bug :(

Reactions:
an illegitimate bastard may have your surname but they're not of your dynasty. are you 100% sure it was a matrilineal marriage? what made him such a good catch?

...and people don't 'switch dynasties'...

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, he was king of Egypt and had some good stats.

The marriage is matrilineal. The children were my dynastic heirs for 15 years before.

...and people don't 'switch dynasties'...
That's why I think it's a bug. Which I can't believe still exist considering how long this had been out...

203770_screenshots_20200527232119_1.jpg

Reactions:
you might be able to turn it around if you get lucky. depends on how old the heir (son) is and if there are any unmarried females of your dynasty available.

if you force matri marry the son to a woman of your dynasty and wait for a kid, you could then play as the dynastic grandson after killing off the son.

potentially you could also become muslim and give some titles to that hypothethical grandson so he should become the heir in the muslim open succession law.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's why I think it's a bug. Which I can't believe still exist considering how long this had been out...

Oh! It probably is!

Okay, so before a bastard has a child, he is of his parent's dynasty. Then when the child comes, he switches to a newly generated dynasty and his children take that dynasty, except if he's married matrilineally. Normally, that's the end of the story.

EXCEPT when he's Muslim.

Now he can be married matrilineally and still be free to enter a patrilineal marriage. Under normal circumstances, no problem, Muslims can't be married matrilineally. But in this case, it's definitely a bug.

He marries normally and has a child by his new wife. When the child is born, the check probably goes like this:
  • Bastard has a child by a normal marriage! New dynasty time!
  • Bastard gets new dynasty. Check children's dynasty.
  • Are children presently of his dynasty? Yes? Now they get the new dynasty.
So, because he was matrilineally married to someone of his old dynasty, his children just so happened to have his old dynasty. So logic goes off, and the kids get his new dynasty.

It's a bug, and it fires because of this very specific series of events.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The problem Is his conversion to Islam, which doesn't allow matrilineal marriages. I do think it's probably a bug, or at least an oversight. What probably should happen is that his marriage to you should be dissolved, which might still cause you problems (might make your children bastards), but I'm not sure.

• 1Like
Reactions:
it's definitely worth reporting as a bug. they've said that they'll still patch CKII when necessary

Reactions: