• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad King James said:
Reasons for my map are:

Because of IDGrid limitations on MYMAP, I was limited to 20 provinces for England and Scotland (not counting Orkney).

If not for this limitation, I would have split Dumfries and added Tweeddale, split Lothian and added Perthshire, split Middlesex and added Warwick.

If I could throw caution to the wind and just do whatever, I would have added Cornwall, Norfolk, Suffolk, Durham and Chester, split Strathclyde into Ayrshire and Clydesdale, thrown in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, and completely ruined game balance forever.

No offense but I prefer Earl's map :)

_tr said:
You really want to know? :p I can show you proper map of Poland :D
In the other case - let sleeping dogs lie :rofl:

Of course, adding those provinces to Britain will force us to merge everything east of the Oder into a single province. Let's call it 'Silesia' :D :D :D

King said:
and if I had may way those names would of been anglised too :)

And if I had my way every name would have been 'nativised' ;)

Ayeshteni

Calanctus said:
Getting ahead of ourselves a bit, no? How do we even know the EUIII map will look anything like the EUII one?
Well, for one think, Johan has stated that EUIII will have about 1700 provinces and sea zones. That means that it will have about the same number of provinces as EUII. So while the look of the map might be different, the provinces are going to be about the same, I think. There's ways you can make the map better, but it would seem that ways attempt to do so by increasing the number of provinces aren't going to work.

I'd like to see Anglia split up into London and East Anglia as well, although I'm doubtful that we'll see it done.

The huge 'Middlesex' shouldn't be called 'Mercia' either - the historical centre of Mercia (which was Anglian rather than Saxon for the half a dozen of you who'll care in the slightest) was further north along the Middle Trent.

Lothian on the maps look wrong. You've got it going up well past Edinburgh, which to my mind should be the northern extent of the area.

However, in the final analysis these views have more to do with my nationality, my interest in pre-Conquest England and sheer pedantry than game balance. At most England needs about two provinces more.

DPS said:
Well, for one think, Johan has stated that EUIII will have about 1700 provinces and sea zones. That means that it will have about the same number of provinces as EUII. So while the look of the map might be different, the provinces are going to be about the same, I think.
That's a rather big assumption to make, especially since the game is based on an entirely new and 3D engine.

DPS said:
Well, for one think, Johan has stated that EUIII will have about 1700 provinces and sea zones. That means that it will have about the same number of provinces as EUII. So while the look of the map might be different, the provinces are going to be about the same, I think.
Not if the size of seazones is increased.

Calanctus said:
That's a rather big assumption to make, especially since the game is based on an entirely new and 3D engine.

3D it may be, but it will have the same 'province' feel. Something along the lines of Diplomacy perhaps.

Ayeshteni

Calanctus said:
But you're still assuming that the provinces will look anything like those of EU2.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. There aren't a whole lot of other choices. Besides a province-bases area movement system (as seen in Eu I & II, CK, etc.) the only other choices I can think of would be a hex-based system (which I don't really see happening), or a point-to-point system (which is functionally pretty much the same as an area-based system, just less visually appealing IMO).

Or are you suggesting that while there might be "only" 1700 provinces and sea zones in EUIII, each of those areas might contain subdivisions that would boost the effective province count much higher?

Calanctus said:
But you're still assuming that the provinces will look anything like those of EU2.

I am not sure what you are getting at either.

There will be provinces (I think Johan has stated this). It will be 3D (again I think this has been stated). So I imagine it will have some similarity with the Diplomacy board (except I doubt you will be able to throw it around like the Dip board)

So I am assuming it will be similar to that (but On a larger scale). Of course how the 'globe' effect of EU3 will be portrayed will be interesting to see. But yes I expect it will be like EU2......only 3D ;)

Ayeshteni

Calanctus said:
You guys are posting maps that are essentially "corrections" to the EU2 map, when you don't even know what EU3 Britain will look like. That's what I'm getting at.

In which case, why bother opening up a EU3 forum when there is nothing to discuss?

I think we are just making it clear that there are things that need to be addressed. If they are not even discussed there will be no reason to thing the developers will make any alterations.

Yes it may be a new system.
Yes it may be 3D
Yes it may look nothing like EU2 provinces

But It will look like Scotland (and South of the Border of course)
It will have a province system
It will have the provinces named.

and THAT is what is being discussed. Yes there is disagreement (King is wrong for example :p ) but that is what we are discussing.

Ayeshteni

Calanctus said:
You guys are posting maps that are essentially "corrections" to the EU2 map, when you don't even know what EU3 Britain will look like. That's what I'm getting at.

I thought they were posting maps of what they'd like EUIII Britian to look like. Yes, they're basing them off of the EUII map, but that seems a reasonable starting place.

Calanctus said:

DPS said it. Really the point of this thread was try and prevent a couple of shonky names getting into the game. The map I posted was just as a hook, but it's not particularly far out to assume EU3 will be a province based system and we already know the total number of provinces won't radically change.

Status
Not open for further replies.